Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Defiance is my top pick for a MMORPG in 2013.

xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

Yes, you heard it! I am picking Defiance as the most likely candidate for both MMORPG of the year and most innovative. Why most innovative? As Defiance is the only mmo to be cross-platform. available on PC,Xbox360 and PS3's. It is also the only game I know of where our actions in the game effect the new series Defiance on Syfy.

I loved Rift, if Defiance is anywhere near the gameplay and content Rift provides it will be incredible!

My best wishes to those playing Defiance now and Trion Worlds. Such a innovative title!

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    i too am looking forward to it and if Trion / Sci-fy can pull this off then it will be amazing. However, i wont get hyped and wont pick it as my 2013 title untill its released. Im trying to avoid getting horribly disappointed. Best wishes to Trion / Sci-fy with this cross over. So far it looks like PlanetSide 2 and Firefall had a baby, and i am totally loving that idea.

• Naudica777Naudica777 Member UncommonPosts: 5
    I do agree I am pulling for Defiance to be the top of 2013 I am really pulling for this title. The concept of having a Show to go with your game is pretty exciting and I am sure the show will get the viewers being on Syfy lol. 
  • morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

Just wonder how the EU ppl will be able to watch the Syfy part. Any news on that?

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• Naudica777Naudica777 Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Originally posted by morbuskabis

Just wonder how the EU ppl will be able to watch the Syfy part. Any news on that?

I didn't know that people in EU didn't have Syfy lol that could be a problem. I guess they could stream the episodes on there website for people who dont have syfy. Though very interesting about the syfy in EU part because I am planning to move there haha.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

I call that players actions influence the show as total BS.  Storyboard writers spend months and months prepping a story and an entire season is lined out, or at least a vast majority is. 

Perhaps players actions might see some minor influence in the show but I highly doubt that it will have much incluence in the show.  And it will certainly not be to the degree that many here will proclaim it to be.  This is definately a "I'll believe it when I see it" kind of promise.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by morbuskabis

netflix? :/ or maybe syfy and Trion will do something to have both game and tv show served to the same countries so everyone can enjoy both. If the series wont be in europe then maybe the game wont either, which makes no sense. So like i said,  im guessing syfy will expand their service to Europe and the Defiance cross over will reach europe along with syfy

mmmh, lets wait and see

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    I agree with you. Ive been saying for months how Defiance will swoop in under the radar and take over. Wish I could break NDA.....

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• deanobeano1deanobeano1 Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by xpowderx

Yes, you heard it! I am picking Defiance as the most likely candidate for both MMORPG of the year and most innovative. Why most innovative? As Defiance is the only mmo to be cross-platform. available on PC,Xbox360 and PS3's. It is also the only game I know of where our actions in the game effect the new series Defiance on Syfy.

I loved Rift, if Defiance is anywhere near the gameplay and content Rift provides it will be incredible!

My best wishes to those playing Defiance now and Trion Worlds. Such a innovative title!

its funny you call it top mmorpg. its not even an mmorpg. it was going to be, but they made uturn late development and decided to remove important features.

youll be dissapointed, as defiance is nothing like rift. at first it sounded like it was going to be. but i know someone testing it and he says they recently made item drops flat across the whole game because they wanted everyone to be equal in pvp. by this i mean an item you find as a noob is your end game equipment. dont expect to find better gear because there is no progression.

the game could not be more different than rift. the developers think that story and pvp is enough. if you enjoy hunt for better gear, dont bother, there is no hunt for better gear.

uber fail incoming.

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    Originally posted by deanobeano1

youll be dissapointed, as defiance is nothing like rift. at first it sounded like it was going to be. but i know someone testing it and he says they recently made item drops flat across the whole game because they wanted everyone to be equal in pvp. by this i mean an item you find as a noob is your end game equipment. dont expect to find better gear because there is no progression.

the game could not be more different than rift. the developers think that story and pvp is enough. if you enjoy hunt for better gear, dont bother, there is no hunt for better gear.

uber fail incoming.

Wait..wait a game with no gear treadmill is a bad thing? O.o

• deanobeano1deanobeano1 Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Mavolence

uber fail incoming.

some testers reported theres no incentive to check picked up loot, even a day into the game. just vendor everything. make of that what you will.

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635

uber fail incoming.

some testers reported theres no incentive to check picked up loot, even a day into the game. just vendor everything. make of that what you will.

Does sound a bit of an extreme the other way i suppose it would be a little boring. Yet i'd rather see it less item/gear dependant than alot of other titles are

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689

uber fail incoming.

Does sound a bit of an extreme the other way i suppose it would be a little boring. Yet i'd rather see it less item/gear dependant than alot of other titles are

It'd be fun if there were a game where weapons you picked up were highly randomized weapons that weren't necessarily better, just different. How about a really slow grenade launcher shotgun? Or a two-barrel lazer pistol whose beams ricochets once on surfaces? Stuff like that. Doubt we'll see something like that soon, though.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• Dantae87Dantae87 Member Posts: 166
    never heard of it

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Originally posted by Dantae87
    never heard of it

You must not visit Gamestop. As Defiance is heavily advertised from the posters in the windows to the cashier counter.  This game is going to be HUGE! On all three major platforms. PS3,Xbox, and PC!

• xenomxenom Member UncommonPosts: 116

why should there be no syfy in europe ? ^^ i have it with "sky" in german language just fine :p

http://www.syfy.de/

• tollboothtollbooth Member CommonPosts: 298

Well FFXI was xbox 360, ps2, ps3, and pc all on the same servers and all regions of the world playing together using auto translate.  Wakfu - another square enix game has a pretty good, and still airing anime that explores the game world/story while introducing a lot of the npc's you meet. 

Without breaking NDA the game is ment for people that are new to gaming.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    Originally posted by Dantae87
    never heard of it

You must not visit Gamestop. As Defiance is heavily advertised from the posters in the windows to the cashier counter.  This game is going to be HUGE! On all three major platforms. PS3,Xbox, and PC!

People still go in physical game stores these days? image

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435

as others (insert a random FPS shooter here for PC) once pc players get their hands on "mods" (euphemism for cheating) like cough..aimbot..cough, mega speed, invisibility, and all that crap, it will be fun to hear all the cry in forums. cant w8 to see the unsuspecting console player getting their hands on game and logging in..

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I can fully understand why this game has shot to the top of the hype here.

It's been under the radar somewhat really, but, yeah, Defiance is going to do really well I think.

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346
    i'm in the beta. WildStar is better. that's about all i can say. WS will be better and likely perform better too. especially with those who want sandbox features but strangely also want a thempark game(judging by the performance of every non-EVE SB that's damn near aeveryone). 
  • KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    Originally posted by Rthuth434
    i'm in the beta. WildStar is better. that's about all i can say. WS will be better and likely perform better too. especially with those who want sandbox features but strangely also want a thempark game(judging by the performance of every non-EVE SB that's damn near aeveryone). 

I'm not in the beta but the vague references to the game ive been reading elsewhere this weekend all seem to say "nothing special".

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

i wouldnt compare a traditional mmo (rift) to a shooter style mmo game (defiance).

defiance plays quite nice so far, but i dunno what to think of it yet, so i can't and won't comment any further :P

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346
    Originally posted by Kabaal

I'm not in the beta but the vague references to the game ive been reading elsewhere this weekend all seem to say "nothing special".

what game? must be talking about firefall...err defiance.

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    "nothing special" about covers it. The only real thing I am still looking forward too, and may yet save it, is the tv aspect. Which based on trailers does not look good. There is nothing that really sticks out and grabs you, or is even semi impressive. I have a whole laundry list of "issues" most of which are fixable, but even fixing those only puts it on par with other 3rd person shooters. Even the "massive co-op" feels like all of the worst parts (imo) of Gw2.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

wildstar looks like a traditional tab and use mmo to me.

defiance ain't.

which makes it WAY better in my opinion at least :P

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"