Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This isn't your normal MMO

NoxxumariNoxxumari Member Posts: 16
So I finally got the game, and it plays great on my mac. Its a HARD mmo to play, zerg in pvp? yes. Pve no, you have to plan and be ready to fight tooth and nail. I like how I can go to the noob areas and still get xp and earn the skill points, and its still a challenge. I had to go through the asura noob area to get to a story quest and decided to clear the zone, stil working on it, its hard because of the level scaleing deal. Its great, this game promotes helping each other even though some dont. If you where on the fence about this game don't listen to the cry babies here, its great its just not WoW, so some people cant get past that, I was that way at first because i have been programmed to just hack and slash my way through it, you are a bad ass in this game but you have to be aware and be skilled.

Comments

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Personally I didn't find anything in this game challenging, but eh, everyones entitled to their opinion. If one of the big challenging events starts its part of a chain and ends up being a zerg and if not enough people show up they just don't do it. Dungeons were all easy, while they were fresh and full of new ideas they were easy and once you ran them for the points to get gear, no reason to run them ever again because gold isn't the important in GW2 and the dungeons don't drop any anyways.

Also it doesn't promote helping each other really, it just promotes doing stuff with other people nearby while never talking since you don't need to group. I think it's a step backwards personally, i'd rather talk to people and form a group to do things instead of silently watch as more people show up and just do stuff around me. 

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Umm not really.  If you maintain your gear all zones are pretty much a cake walk.  Granted DEs will require team work but it's not that hard.  Dungeons is where the challenge is though, at least till you understand the dungeon and have a group that works well together.  Regardless the game isn't difficult at all if you use half of common sense like you know actually putting in some survivability stats and not all out DPS.

Personally didn't like the combat of massive hits with no real mitigation besides avoidance and popping skills which is hard to tell what the mob is doing when everyone is blasting away with all sorts of crazy visual effects.  Didn't care much for the combat.  Was great at first and when there is only a handful of players around but zerg scenario sucked the enjoyment out for me.

Good game though, just couldn't really immerse myself in it too much.  Likely give it another twirl at a later date.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by Noxxumari
    So I finally got the game, and it plays great on my mac. Its a HARD mmo to play, zerg in pvp? yes. Pve no, you have to plan and be ready to fight tooth and nail. I like how I can go to the noob areas and still get xp and earn the skill points, and its still a challenge. I had to go through the asura noob area to get to a story quest and decided to clear the zone, stil working on it, its hard because of the level scaleing deal. Its great, this game promotes helping each other even though some dont. If you where on the fence about this game don't listen to the cry babies here, its great its just not WoW, so some people cant get past that, I was that way at first because i have been programmed to just hack and slash my way through it, you are a bad ass in this game but you have to be aware and be skilled.

Play the game and enjoy it however you might, after all, you've paid for it and you deserve to get the best value for the dollar you can. Don't listen to naysayers, there is no value in their negativity. They only spout thier distaste to reassure themselves that they have a viable right to be unhappy. I hope you enjoy them game, as so many do.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    GW2 is really no different from any other MMO. It's actually very similar to Rift. Well the only thing unique I'll say is that casting spells don't root you. You can run & gun on the fly basically. Other than that it's Themepark 101 and nothing new to see.
  • TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by jpnole
    GW2 is really no different from any other MMO.

Can you please give me a link to a game that has not quest hubs, no mobs standing still waiting to be killed and with a pure DE mechanic for progression with different outcomes depends if you fail it or succeeds it.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by Torgrim

Can you please give me a link to a game that has not quest hubs, no mobs standing still waiting to be killed and with a pure DE mechanic for progression with different outcomes depends if you fail it or succeeds it.

Hearts are quests, anyone who denies that is delusional. Also yes the mobs stand around for you to kill them and the heart(quest) tells you how many to kill. But instead of a number you get a bar, which obviously represents a number you just don't know which one.

"Dem spiders here ruinin my trees, squish them so my trees are no more scare for me when pick apple", then you have to "fill your bar" by killing spiders, which is essentially just killing 10 of 10 spiders.

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438

Skill isn't required for ANYTHING in this game except for high level tPvP. This is why most of us got bored so quickly.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by boxsnd

Skill isn't required for ANYTHING in this game except for high level tPvP. This is why most of us got bored so quickly.

You simply must teach everyone how to run dungeons without zerg-ressing!

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

I guess you're skillful enough to 1 man all of the dungeons then :) As much skill in this game's pve as any other game's pve that I can think of atm. PvP is always where the actual skill is. Most of the time, I just settle for non-mmorpgs, and games in general, If I am really only seeking skill.

• allendale5allendale5 Member Posts: 124

play to level 50 or so then see if you like it.  

• zastrophzastroph Member Posts: 242
    So, what do you do when there are no other players in the area that your playing and your trying to play an unbalanced class like thief or engineer. Fighting one thing at a time is not always possible and death is frequent!
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Pivotelite

Hearts are quests, anyone who denies that is delusional. Also yes the mobs stand around for you to kill them and the heart(quest) tells you how many to kill. But instead of a number you get a bar, which obviously represents a number you just don't know which one.

"Dem spiders here ruinin my trees, squish them so my trees are no more scare for me when pick apple", then you have to "fill your bar" by killing spiders, which is essentially just killing 10 of 10 spiders.

Hearts don't exist at higher levels lol... I take it you haven't played or haven't played much. 

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

You again? It has already been proved you never got deep into the game and didnt even know the basics of healing, tanking or playing one of the deeper classes.

I would love for you to hop back into the game, transfer to my server and have a little contest to see who can kill the MOST, the fastest, see if you can survive taking on a vet and 4 other mobs at the same time in Orr...see your underwater combat skills lol.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by Jean_Luc_Picard
    GW2 is really no different from any other MMO. It's actually very similar to Rift.

GW2 similar to Rift? Have you even played the game?

More misinformation spread on mmorpg.com, what a surprise...

You're correct!  I'd rather play Rift, at least I didn't get bored playing it.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79
    Originally posted by Pivotelite

Hearts don't exist at higher levels lol... I take it you haven't played or haven't played much. 

Heart exists in majority of game except for ORR which is last 5 levels or so) and the new krakkan area. Other than that hearts are way to go. 

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Originally posted by jtcgs

You again? It has already been proved you never got deep into the game and didnt even know the basics of healing, tanking or playing one of the deeper classes.

I would love for you to hop back into the game, transfer to my server and have a little contest to see who can kill the MOST, the fastest, see if you can survive taking on a vet and 4 other mobs at the same time in Orr...see your underwater combat skills lol.

you are mistaking me for someone else. If not, link to the thread that all that was "proved".

Also, dodging and using 10 (lol) skills is considered "skill" now? Are you comparing this to LoL and dota or something?

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

I guess it's experiences like this that have made the game popluar dispite itself.  I found this game to be nothing BUT a zerg in all aspects and incredibly easy, there is almost no challenge in zone content, and when there is, a zerg solves any problems in this game.  I pretty much facerolled a charcter to 80 and was simply burned out on the highly repetative combat system and lack of skilll choices.

Out of the 5 people I personally know that bought this game, all of us avid gamers, none of us still play, some never made it even close to 80, I was the only one.  We all just went back to games with more depth.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Skill isn't required in any MMO except for high level PvP.  

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by snapfusion

I guess it's experiences like this that have made the game popluar dispite itself.  I found this game to be nothing BUT a zerg in all aspects and incredibly easy, there is almost no challenge in zone content, and when there is, a zerg solves any problems in this game.  I pretty much facerolled a charcter to 80 and was simply burned out on the highly repetative combat system and lack of skilll choices.

Out of the 5 people I personally know that bought this game, all of us avid gamers, none of us still play, some never made it even close to 80, I was the only one.  We all just went back to games with more depth.

The mid-level zones are "ghost-towns"... but the zerg conquers all..

Orr is dead, all the waypoints are contested, and you can't get there....  yet the zerg is (seemingly) everywhere...

WvW is nothing but a zerg,... but i can't take my guildies out in small bands and conquer points...

This game is mind-boggling!!!11!!

Originally posted by Latronus
    GW2 is really no different from any other MMO. It's actually very similar to Rift.

Because spamming one button is better than using ten right?

Originally posted by zastroph
    So, what do you do when there are no other players in the area that your playing and your trying to play an unbalanced class like thief or engineer. Fighting one thing at a time is not always possible and death is frequent!

Spec better. Thieves are one of the better tank classes once you learn how to combo field.

• eliteroelitero Member UncommonPosts: 264

I guess all the cathedral events were 1 man'd by you right? hell even the fire elemental event in asura 1-15 zone was just 1 man'd by you right? Oh wait you wouldn't know any of this because you don't even play the game lol. quickly now google what I am talking about and tell me how easy it is. =)

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by elitero

I guess all the cathedral events were 1 man'd by you right? hell even the fire elemental event in asura 1-15 zone was just 1 man'd by you right? Oh wait you wouldn't know any of this because you don't even play the game lol. quickly now google what I am talking about and tell me how easy it is. =)

Wait wut? Those are group events, whether they are "hard" or not depends on how "hard" they are for a group to do. And when you have a group, well they don't take much, if any skill to bring down.

Outside of dungeons (perhaps) and high level PvP, most of it is a cake walk requiring very, very little skill. But then, it is similar for most other mmos.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Originally posted by eyelolled

Play the game and enjoy it however you might, after all, you've paid for it and you deserve to get the best value for the dollar you can. Don't listen to naysayers, there is no value in their negativity. They only spout thier distaste to reassure themselves that they have a viable right to be unhappy. I hope you enjoy them game, as so many do.

+1

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    Originally posted by Latronus

I got bored playing Rift after GW2 and Tera released.

DEATH TO WOW COPIES.