Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows 7 vs Windows 8 ?

SlyGamer79SlyGamer79 Member Posts: 278

can someone give me a list of pros and cons of both of these systems for gaming and stuff ?

i'm using vista 64 in my current computer and was really wondering which would be a upgrade for gaming before i spend alot of money.

PSN-SlyFox5679
Xfire-Slyfox5679
raptr-slygamer1979

Comments

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I only look at it one way.

Not all software and games support Win8 yet.. a lot do, but not all.

For that reason alone I'll wait until the OS is more established. It's the only reason I need.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    They're not really that different.  Windows 7 has a more familiar interface, while Windows 8 will boot faster.  I'd personally get Windows 8 in a new computer, but wouldn't criticize someone who prefers Windows 7.
  • SlyGamer79SlyGamer79 Member Posts: 278

I was just reading abit about win8 and the lack of a start menu and its focus is more for tablet/touch screen/mobile devices 

which tells me it wil lbe a confusing cluster F*** to learn lol.

i noticed some retailers aren't going to sell win7 anymore, atleast thats what i heard from salesman at best buy yesterday which i'm not exactly believeing this line of bs myself. 

while on the subject is there any difference between win7,home ed,pro ed, ultimate besides price ?

PSN-SlyFox5679
    Xfire-Slyfox5679
    raptr-slygamer1979

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

Home Premium has all of the features that Microsoft thinks home users might plausibly need.  Professional adds some features that may be useful to some businesses, with the idea being that Microsoft wants to make businesses pay more than home users.  Ultimate exists primarily as a way to let people who want the best of everything have a way to give Microsoft extra money.  (The most important feature of the Ultimate edition is the ability to switch between any of the language editions of Windows whenever you feel like it.)

Windows 7 Home Premium caps you at 16 GB of system memory, which was a huge amount in 2009, but less so now.  The OS-imposed memory capacity cap on Windows 7 Professional and Windows 8 is higher than you can physically get in a desktop without springing for server hardware.

• GhostshadowsGhostshadows Member UncommonPosts: 70

Both are good and fits entirely based on personal preference imo. 

Upgraded to Win8 on my MsiGT70 gaming laptop and the diff is night and day in boot up speeds.

People take the internet too serious...go out get some sun and cool off

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I think it depends if you're a facebook junkie who wants constant updates and a stock ticker and crapload of crap covering your screen.  I personally think that Windows 8 is repulsive visually as well as by design. There are just too many ways that I see Windows 8 screaming "I don't give a fat ^#$% what you want, Windows 8 is about what Microsoft wants"

it's the little things that really bother me, like if you took the standard oem installation. Windows 8 is missing out on some basic abilities that Windows 7 has. Why? So you have to go to the Windows store to purchase them (even if it's free. It's just there to make you comfortable with the Windows store)

So yeah, I have a serious dislike for Windows 8 and I am hoping that the majority of people out there feel the same, so that when the next version of Windows comes out it's designed about what the community wants, not what some $%^# engineer thinks is the profitable design just to cater to profits from microtransactions.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Vannor

I only look at it one way.

Not all software and games support Win8 yet.. a lot do, but not all.

For that reason alone I'll wait until the OS is more established. It's the only reason I need.

Seems to be an ongoing theme with MS. Every major release has this problem for months and i believe it's because they don't release the builds in time for devs so that the underground press won't see something they shouldn't.

I wouldn't touch it period but if i were an avid windows user I would only touch it after a whole year of being out.

i guess from the sound of it i'd have to get windows 7 home ed 64 or whatever for gaming then.

PSN-SlyFox5679
    Xfire-Slyfox5679
    raptr-slygamer1979

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162
    The only differences you are likely to notice between win7 and win8 are the start screen, the boot up time, and snappier performance. Windows 8 has better guts imo.
  • JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601
    You might run into some driver issues with Windows 8 still. My Creative sound card still has buggy drivers sadly. Randonly sound just stops and the only way to get it working again is to disable and re enable the card. It didnt happen a ton but enough to put me back on Win 7. I will probably return to 8 at some point though. It is a bit snappier and with a program like Start8 you can avoid the hideous start screen and lack of start menu.

hmm you guys make it hard to decide then i just posted before i'd go with win7 most likely because its familiar and like xp/vista

PSN-SlyFox5679
    Xfire-Slyfox5679
    raptr-slygamer1979

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    Originally posted by grndzro
    The only differences you are likely to notice between win7 and win8 are the start screen, the boot up time, and snappier performance. Windows 8 has better guts imo.

I read this a lot yet i can barely notice a difference in speed between the two. Maybe a second faster in boot up and apps are as snappy on each, pretty much instant. SSD's kind make that benefit of Win8 irrelevant.

If i had to choose i'd probably just go with win8 though as the driver issues are few and far between (creative have driver issues no matter the OS) and it can be made to look and function almost identically to Win7 with a little tweaking if you don't like the new layout. Going from one to the other is more of a sidegrade.

• ScaryMonkScaryMonk Member Posts: 97
    Windows 8 boots faster.  It also gives you an irritating Apple-esque screen that is no use to anyone other than the idiots you see on the adverts.  
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Kabaal
    Originally posted by grndzro

I read this a lot yet i can barely notice a difference in speed between the two. Maybe a second faster in boot up and apps are as snappy on each, pretty much instant. SSD's kind make that benefit of Win8 irrelevant.

If i had to choose i'd probably just go with win8 though as the driver issues are few and far between (creative have driver issues no matter the OS) and it can be made to look and function almost identically to Win7 with a little tweaking if you don't like the new layout. Going from one to the other is more of a sidegrade.

I agree with the above, though I prefer sticking with windows 7 lol. I actually like windows 8 on my tablet, its fluid and intuitive but on a desktop getting use to it is such a pain. I've actually had people request win 8 when building them a rig only for them to call me after it arrives to ask if there is a way to get windows 7 instead lol. Also if you are going to the trouble of making win 8 look and function like win 7 you might as well save yourself the trouble and get win 7. 

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882

Windows 8:

+boots up faster than Win 7

+is really good if you have less than 10 inch screen or touchscreen

+can do some nice new tricks

-the interface isn't as optimal for large monitors as Win 7's

-worse support for using multiple programs at the same time and abysmal multi-monitor support

-if you like to play old games, it might cause some problems, but all the new games should work just fine

-requires you to le-learn how to use your computer

Windows 7:

+as older OS, it has less bugs, driver probems or compatibility problems and it's more polished

+interface designed for larger monitors, and has even good multi-monitor support

+if you're coming from Vista, the interface is very similar and immediately familiar to you

-can't do all the new tricks Windows 8 can do

-bad touch-screen support

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Vrika

Windows 8:

+boots up faster than Win 7

+is really good if you have less than 10 inch screen or touchscreen

+can do some nice new tricks

-the interface isn't as optimal for large monitors as Win 7's

-worse support for using multiple programs at the same time and abysmal multi-monitor support

-if you like to play old games, it might cause some problems, but all the new games should work just fine

-requires you to le-learn how to use your computer

Windows 7:

+as older OS, it has less bugs, driver probems or compatibility problems and it's more polished

+interface designed for larger monitors, and has even good multi-monitor support

+if you're coming from Vista, the interface is very similar and immediately familiar to you

-can't do all the new tricks Windows 8 can do

-bad touch-screen support

Nice break down +1

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Did Win 8's footprint (memory it sits in, processes running) drop compared to 7?

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • kasyoskasyos Member UncommonPosts: 23

Hi. I'm running both to be honest.

I have installed this week new Win 8 and it was causing me some problems, like sudden problem with hardware from nowhere, Don't know why really.

I have installed Win 7 on other partition and it's flying really good.

I think at this stage it's a matter of preference, that's all.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

I just bought new PC and installed win8 on it. Win 8 is super cheap (got it for 15$) so that is one clear advantage.

Now except for "metro" which is shit and unfinished , you just install "start8" which is 4$ app (or some free alternative)

and you have system that looks same like win7 but better and faster.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    I would hold off on it just yet. Howver in a couple years, when companies have adapted their software for Win8, then I would upgrade.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

have been using windows 8 for a few months now, can't say im impressed at all, for people who say that windows 8 boots faster, thats only to the RT interface, or start screen, launching the rest of the OS etc, takes longer again. As for the start screen, its tacky, and is really just an attempt by microsoft at further monetisation, think of it as a steam app, its there to sell things, but the things it is selling is really just stuff you'd put on a mobile phone, very tacky and its just playing catchup with itunes/steam etc.

You can do everything in windows 8 that you can do with windows 7, except, it takes a little longer as there are more steps involved in finding things. Windows 8 does have a desktop interface, but, in order to launch games, you have to find the program with the file search program (windows explorer) and then copy/paste the exe file to the desktop, once you have done that you can then drag and drop the program to the task bar at the bottom of the screen for one click launching, there is no list of programs, unless you buy one from the microsoft store.

Stability, for the moment, the OS is not that stable, this will improve in time, but coming from XP to Win 8 pro, its one thing i've noticed, most of the MMO's i play have tended to crash the whole system requiring to hard reset to 'unfreeze' them. Its totally random though, and usually only if your playing for 1 hour+

Overal, several times i've been tempted to uninstall Windows 8 and go back to using XP, but as it is, i will be saving up for windows 7/64 as imo, the OS is superior to 8 in terms of stability, and useability, whether or not it boots up faster is totally irrelevant imo, anyone who wants faster boot times would be better off just getting an SSD, as that would affect more than just boot up times anyway.image

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

I have used both windows 7 (for several years) and windows 8 since release.

Last week i went back to windows 7. It is just so much better in every regard. Windows 8 is definately made for tablets. My hardcore gaming PC is hampered by so many bugs in windows 8. So much tinkering just to get it to run like its supposed to for high end machines. I did not like windows 8 at all. I will most likely stick with windows 7 until a new OS comes out. The entire interface of windows 8 is just pointless and ugly and basically makes me have to login to my desktop so my fans are running. No thanks. Windows 7 ftw.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• cadamlcadaml Member Posts: 37
    Windows 8 - the first windows i won't install.
  • BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333
    Windows 8 is having poor sales for a reason. No one wants to pretend their computer is a tablet with big icons. Stick with 7 unless you happen to have an OEM copy of windows and need to buy a new windows for a new PC you're building.. Even then, I think Windows 8 is going to be a big skip for everyone until the next Windows generation, so buy Windows 7.
  • faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Originally posted by SlyGamer79
    i guess from the sound of it i'd have to get windows 7 home ed 64 or whatever for gaming then.

yea i would say so, and then wait atleast service pack updates for windows 8 before buying it.