Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

my solution to keep people in various maps.

eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I don't have much problem with low population zones. Guess I'm lucky.  I do however appreciate that other may be finding it difficult to find others to complete DE's with.

So first off, lets start by defining that a DE is not completion content. People claim that they are being forced to skip content because they can't find others to help them with it. A DE is a repeating occurance, so therefore a person doesn't complete it as such.  I know that I still prefer to do each one I come across, but there is no completion of them.

My thought is that they should introduce specific set gear that is not obtainable through other means, by completing a set number or a specific set of dynamic events in a particular zone. For example. If you wanted the new "insertnamehere" set, you would have to do x number of DE's in zone A to get a specific piece. Then x DE's in zone B for the next piece, and so on. I would suggest that each set is only available for 1 month, and you can cycle which specific zones are offering the item each day.  If it works out too easy to accomplish the sets, make it rng chance to gain the item after completing that area DE req each day.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Comments

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by eyelolled

I don't have much problem with low population zones. Guess I'm lucky.  I do however appreciate that other may be finding it difficult to find others to complete DE's with.

So first off, lets start by defining that a DE is not completion content. People claim that they are being forced to skip content because they can't find others to help them with it. A DE is a repeating occurance, so therefore a person doesn't complete it as such.  I know that I still prefer to do each one I come across, but there is no completion of them.

My thought is that they should introduce specific set gear that is not obtainable through other means, by completing a set number or a specific set of dynamic events in a particular zone. For example. If you wanted the new "insertnamehere" set, you would have to do x number of DE's in zone A to get a specific piece. Then x DE's in zone B for the next piece, and so on. I would suggest that each set is only available for 1 month, and you can cycle which specific zones are offering the item each day.  If it works out too easy to accomplish the sets, make it rng chance to gain the item after completing that area DE req each day.

Is there any sort of counter, or percent for completing a zone that uses DEs as one of its measures?

Or do you still think that DE is not for completion?

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

Is there any sort of counter, or percent for completing a zone that uses DEs as one of its measures?

There's no counter for DEs for any sort of completition other than achievement (do 1000 any dynamic events or something). Dynamic events are not meant to be 'hunted down' and completed, you play those you come across if you feel like it.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

I know i have been absent from these forums of late and with new work place I really just don't have the time to post much but wanted to add some input for what I feel would solve this problem. For me it would solve a lot of problems but this one in particular.. basically it would be a addon skill system and would work like this.

Each weapon has it's five main skills for the weapon/weapons what my idea would do is add new sets of skills that would add onto the current ones.. you could think of it like how the utility skills currently work but would transfer over to the weapon side. Yes now obviously this would cause a lot of PVP balance issues but overall i think it is something that would be INCREDIBLY helpfull to this game.

Now how would this get people into other zones you ask? how i envisioned the system it would work like this.. each zone gives unique skill points for completeing objectives in that zone. So basically finishing a DE, map completion, hearts, ect would give you a certain number of these skill points. Now each slot 1-5 uses a specific skill point to unlock a new skill. This would be something that would add new skills for all weapons accross the board and the system would allow you to toggle skills on and off the same way the utility bar is setup.. not only would this add a ton of horizontal progression it would get people past the "I unlocked all my skills now what" feeling. It would also keep people going to all zones all the time.. oh and not to mention add a LOT more flexability with the current skill system making for some truely unique builds.. again it would be a balance nightmare but in the end it's something i feel this game needs

To top that off i'd add something to get new elites and maybe add in very hard open world bosses that need to get defeated to get special elite skill points which in turn allow you to unlock new elite skills.

In reality i believe this will never happen.. but one can dream

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

I don't have much problem with low population zones. Guess I'm lucky.  I do however appreciate that other may be finding it difficult to find others to complete DE's with. So first off, lets start by defining that a DE is not completion content. People claim that they are being forced to skip content because they can't find others to help them with it. A DE is a repeating occurance, so therefore a person doesn't complete it as such.  I know that I still prefer to do each one I come across, but there is no completion of them. My thought is that they should introduce specific set gear that is not obtainable through other means, by completing a set number or a specific set of dynamic events in a particular zone. For example. If you wanted the new "insertnamehere" set, you would have to do x number of DE's in zone A to get a specific piece. Then x DE's in zone B for the next piece, and so on. I would suggest that each set is only available for 1 month, and you can cycle which specific zones are offering the item each day.  If it works out too easy to accomplish the sets, make it rng chance to gain the item after completing that area DE req each day.

Just skimmed that but are you really proposing a gear treadmill?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by Zeus.CM
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

There's no counter for DEs for any sort of completition other than achievement (do 1000 any dynamic events or something). Dynamic events are not meant to be 'hunted down' and completed, you play those you come across if you feel like it.

Yeah, you're right.  I was thinking of hearts or tasks.  It's hard to keep track since I stopped playing haha.

Then to respond again, I would say that since Arenanet has such a strong stance against meaningful gear, these would be for looks only.  Which isn't really a bad thing.  However it would feel like raids or dailies in other MMOs to me in that it's meant to keep you playing and playing just to get gear you may replace when more areas or levels are added.  It's not a bad idea really, but I personally wouldn't want to repeat content every month to get the style for the month, and potentially miss out on great looking armor because I didn't play a specific zone in August two years ago.

• BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333
    The solution should have been to not bribe websites into hyping the game. Instead of traveling the world acting like celebrities, they should have actually worked on the game. Well, these are things we can't change, so real solutions would be shackles which keep players in various maps along with malware to actually force people's computers to play nothing but Guild Wars 2.
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by Nitth

almost, except a gear treadmill implies another tier of gear followed by another tier of gear. I'm implying gear with no better stats at all, so really are just skins. So really, I'm just adding an additional and very much optional gear grind.

they could also be clothing and not armor at all.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

almost, except a gear treadmill implies another tier of gear followed by another tier of gear. I'm implying gear with no better stats at all, so really are just skins. So really, I'm just adding an additional and very much optional gear grind.

New skins would be nice but overall for the longevity of the game and to get even more into it think something like i proposed above would be much more beneficial to the overall game...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Aerowyn

New skins would be nice but overall for the longevity of the game and to get even more into it think something like i proposed above would be much more beneficial to the overall game...

you may be correct, but my concern would be the increased difficulty in balancing issues. I think that they designed the game in such a way as to be able to eliminate balancing issues over time. Adding more skills might take it down the same road as GW1 which though it felt like a skill paradise, was a developers nightmare.

Introducing new skins into the game would not have any negative effect other than maybe clipping issues after the initial design cost.

I'm also a big supporter of the idea to have contests to gather design ideas and then impliment them into the game. They did that in GW, and I am REALLY hoping they do that for GW2 as well

you may be correct, but my concern would be the increased difficulty in balancing issues. I think that they designed the game in such a way as to be able to eliminate balancing issues over time. Adding more skills might take it down the same road as GW1 which though it felt like a skill paradise, was a developers nightmare.

Introducing new skins into the game would not have any negative effect other than maybe clipping issues after the initial design cost.

I'm also a big supporter of the idea to have contests to gather design ideas and then impliment them into the game. They did that in GW, and I am REALLY hoping they do that for GW2 as well

the balancing is i'm sure why the system i described will probably never come to this game.. as much as i hated the balance issues in Rift i loved playing with soul combos.. i enjoyed it so much it was pretty much the main reason i stuck with that game as long as i did.  Also another idea had was when/if they add in guild halls they could make the materials and items you get to customize your guild hall obtainable by drops from DE's all over the world and make differn't items unique drops to certain zones which would spread out people.. also they hinted on guild events perhaps down the road those could give larger awards to add nicer things to your hall as well.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Only soultion I could give which could work is having the "end boss" event in each map provide some useful stuff when you are level 80 and I mean useful stuff not bunch of crap in blues and greens and maybe a yellow gem.

the balancing is i'm sure why the system i described will probably never come to this game.. as much as i hated the balance issues in Rift i loved playing with soul combos.. i enjoyed it so much it was pretty much the main reason i stuck with that game as long as i did.  Also another idea had was when/if they add in guild halls they could make the materials and items you get to customize your guild hall obtainable by drops from DE's all over the world and make differn't items unique drops to certain zones which would spread out people.. also they hinted on guild events perhaps down the road those could give larger awards to add nicer things to your hall as well.

I really don't know what to say with additional skills. There is alot of both good and bad. I'm more inclined to leave that one alone.

The loot adjustment is definately feasible though. I think what it basically boils down to, is that they need to offer specific rewards for doing DE's in specific areas.  They could be armor, clothing, mats, or unique items or theoretically, all of the above.

I really don't know what to say with additional skills. There is alot of both good and bad. I'm more inclined to leave that one alone.

The loot adjustment is definately feasible though. I think what it basically boils down to, is that they need to offer specific rewards for doing DE's in specific areas.  They could be armor, clothing, mats, or unique items or theoretically, all of the above.

from the recent live feed seems that their big goal for the next few months is adding in more incentives to revisit zones.. with the new currency it will give people who aren't big on the dungeons a very good reason to revisit areas to complete dailys and such to work on getting acended gear. Also I like the idea they are adding in continuosly changing activities to complete to get the new currency.. his example was maybe one week the goal would be play keg brawl.. will get people moving around and enjoying the activites with more incentives to do them.

from the recent live feed seems that their big goal for the next few months is adding in more incentives to revisit zones.. with the new currency it will give people who aren't big on the dungeons a very good reason to revisit areas to complete dailys and such to work on getting acended gear. Also I like the idea they are adding in continuosly changing activities to complete to get the new currency.. his example was maybe one week the goal would be play keg brawl.. will get people moving around and enjoying the activites with more incentives to do them.

yeah, I hope it works out like they intend. I never have tried keg brawl or any of those.