Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Colin Johanson joins MMOFTW Live this Friday

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

This week's MMOFTW Live has a special guest host! ArenaNet's Colin Johanson will be joining Bill Murphy and Rob Lashley to talk about the week that was in the MMO world. And of course, that means he'll be answering the guys' questions about Guild Wars 2 and its road ahead in 2013.  Tune in Friday at 9pm EST (6pm PST) on our Livestream Page

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Rayzer235Rayzer235 Member UncommonPosts: 63
    Sweet can't wait :)
  • TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575
    I'll be at work but I look forward to catching the highlights.  I'm hoping to hear any developments on individual and guild housing as well as any other features that may be added to the game. 
  • chilltime99chilltime99 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    you movin' on up bill; high profile
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by Terranah
    I'll be at work but I look forward to catching the highlights.  I'm hoping to hear any developments on individual and guild housing as well as any other features that may be added to the game. 

Guild Halls and Player Housing are still my top wanted features in the game.  Then perhaps the addition of some old GW features with regards to PvP and maybe even something unique like instanced sidequests that replicate GW's ability to have a team of eight people and or seven NPCs joining you in missions.

Maybe even turning those NPCs that could join you into a minigame in itself with the ability to get them aesthetic gear and set their skills to provide something else to do and be like Guild Wars again (within the context of those instances side quests / new system).  Possibly even being able to have said characters appear in your home instance at various places, or even guarding your home.  It could even be implemented in such a way as to help give players the an additional reason to go out to zones and make the start of it a clickable object or something.  x3

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    I'd like to hear about WvW and new stuff for that more than anything else currently.
  • Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    I really hope you throw some hard questions at him.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • xArsonistxxArsonistx Member Posts: 31
    Could you do some real inestigative journalism and find out about this game breaking culling that will take years to fic? why did they release a game where you cannot see your friends or enemys play with you?
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk
    Originally posted by Terranah

Guild Halls and Player Housing are still my top wanted features in the game.  Then perhaps the addition of some old GW features with regards to PvP and maybe even something unique like instanced sidequests that replicate GW's ability to have a team of eight people and or seven NPCs joining you in missions.

Maybe even turning those NPCs that could join you into a minigame in itself with the ability to get them aesthetic gear and set their skills to provide something else to do and be like Guild Wars again (within the context of those instances side quests / new system).  Possibly even being able to have said characters appear in your home instance at various places, or even guarding your home.  It could even be implemented in such a way as to help give players the an additional reason to go out to zones and make the start of it a clickable object or something.  x3

This is a b2p game.  Housing and guild halls require a lot of design work and programming.  Just where is the money going to come from to support such?  Maybe you should choose things that are practical rather than ridiculous.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    @Arsonostx- Culling is nearly fixed, and coming in the next update or two. I can't get you the link right now, but the devs posted a statement about the fix on the forums.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• wutaewutae Member UncommonPosts: 74
    Bill do to the whole community a favour and ask him something about the new wvw reward system, he wont obviously say any details, but maybe he could answer something like what is supposed to be alike. New utility abilities wvw only? Advanced stats? Only titles? Only cosmetic items? Is it going to be ala DAoC or it's going to be ala Warhammer/SWTOR ( means, u get most rewards from group or from zerg playing ) Both warhammer and swtor made the huge mistake of making keeps/towers/points/zergkillzerg be the best way to farm points, and obviously people exploited it, while daoc system didnt let u do such things, and the best way to farm was group, at the same time , if they make more important the group fights, they should definetely increase the size of wvw zones, currently i believe it's so small that it promotes zerging.

The tip for
    The win is
    cooperation.

• wutaewutae Member UncommonPosts: 74
    adding to my above post, i believe that the best solution would be to double the distance between the keeps/towers, or even triple, and that because it would cause a lot of downtime, the use of waypoints would be great. You know depending if you have keep control.

The tip for
    The win is
    cooperation.

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

Good Luck Mr. Murphy.

Hold his feet to the fire on WvW. 

Also, ask him if he has played Pirates 101.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    @Arsonostx- Culling is nearly fixed, and coming in the next update or two. I can't get you the link right now, but the devs posted a statement about the fix on the forums.

News like that will get you an eHug if you keep it up.

As an avid WvW type of person, I was wondering if you could touch on talk about nerfing AoE damage. As many people know, zergs mass up as it is due to the 5 target cap on AoE... a massive group can ball up and take far more damage than you'd expect simply because it ignores most of them. Nerfing AoE would (on the surface) encourage ball zerging even more. A near consensus anti-zerg idea would be to actually remove the cap on AoE targets (or at least increase it by a large factor), which would encourage spreading out... but then again you'd be back to the original problem of a fwe people being able to do a combined massive amount of damage to many...

Regardless, the concept of nerfing AoE on the surface is being coolly met...

Oderint, dum metuant.

• YaminahYaminah Member Posts: 1

I would like you to ask some questions about the guesting system. Particually ask his views about the region lock and how it will affect the community as a whole. Especially those of players who have long standing world wide groups of friends they wont be able to visit without paying money from the 28th

If possible, as a follow up ask him if the communities negative response to it might cause them to rethink things? and how does he reconcole being community focussed with region locking.

Thanks very much

None

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    I'd Like to hear about balance(if possible). Come on! Throw us Engineers and Rangers a Bone will ya?

Completely agree, especially the engineers part. Rangers not so much. When they can get my condi engineer to do the same things as my undergeared ranger then I'll be happy. Specifically three shotting things with my engi like my ranger can do with his traps. 

There's some serious imbalance going on here.

What really fries me is their need to make the condition damage different between classes and making the damage for the same type of weapon different between classes. Like shortbow for instance. or a warriors rifle doing more then an engineer's rifle. Weird huh.

I hope someone poses some hard questions about this because it's getting out of hand. And I REALLY hope they ask him if they plan on using a PTR instead of a single shard stationary dummy to test their character balance on because it's obvious that's how they test.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    [mod edit]

Thanks for the short version. I expected something like that and didn't even cared to watch.

It's basicly the very same they give you on Reddit AMA -except that there the players aren't afraid to ask the uncomfortable questions (which are then being skipped by Anet), what mmorpg.com never does.

Waste of time.

• Rayzer235Rayzer235 Member UncommonPosts: 63
    Originally posted by Volkon
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

News like that will get you an eHug if you keep it up.

As an avid WvW type of person, I was wondering if you could touch on talk about nerfing AoE damage. As many people know, zergs mass up as it is due to the 5 target cap on AoE... a massive group can ball up and take far more damage than you'd expect simply because it ignores most of them. Nerfing AoE would (on the surface) encourage ball zerging even more. A near consensus anti-zerg idea would be to actually remove the cap on AoE targets (or at least increase it by a large factor), which would encourage spreading out... but then again you'd be back to the original problem of a fwe people being able to do a combined massive amount of damage to many...

Regardless, the concept of nerfing AoE on the surface is being coolly met...

Here some Claraification on this from Jon Sharp.

"No prob. Some classes have a ton of AOE, while others don’t have as much. So we’re not just going to do a blanket nerf to all AOE – that’s not fair to all classes. We’ll go on a class by class, weapon by weapon basis.

And as I’ve said, we may need to tone something down in one area of the game, but it may be totally fine in another area.

For some weapon sets, the AOE options may be too strong compared to the single target options, which is what we aim to address."

• gideonkaingideonkain Member UncommonPosts: 4

I've already capped a Guardian, Warrior and Thief. I bought the armor I wanted and now have nothing really to do. I would want to know about new content for level 81+

I would also want them to explain how I am supposed to make 2500 gold to buy the ridiculously inflated Legendary weapons.  Arrow Rain spamming Hunter Bots have thrown the economy into chaos.

• NoxxumariNoxxumari Member Posts: 16
    shut up and take my money.
  • RavZterzRavZterz Member UncommonPosts: 618
    I wanna ask if theyre gonna add Tengu as a playable race.  I'm gonna hold off making a thief just in case they do decide to add em somewhere in the future. 

Make games you want to play.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RavikAztar

• ScaryMonkScaryMonk Member Posts: 97
    This is a genuine request, can we please have an honest 'honest' review of GW2 afer a month or two play time.  I enjoyed it for a month, but the pretence that it is the next vanilla wow is nonsense. Perhaps you could have a gneral consensus of opinion ( here is hoping advertisers aside- wishful thinking).  That is all. 
  • TheHood123TheHood123 Member Posts: 2
    Hey I've been a long time GW player and my question is since I've been playing this game so much I've really hit the ceiling in the game and was wondering what I should do next?
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

how long do we have to wait before we start to see more clothing sets? Are they planned as just holiday bonuses, or in game rewards from regular play

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• TheHood123TheHood123 Member Posts: 2
    i agree