Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA to release multiple new limited duration gambling packs in the future, citing their implementatio

13»

Comments

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

In short cartel packs == scam.

Everything is said.

• Demmi77Demmi77 Member UncommonPosts: 229

if a game is allowed to have gambling then it needs to have age restrictions, especially where real cash is concerned.

these item boxes in free to play games are unhealthy for minors and it promotes very bad habits. If you want to piss ur money away as an adult fine, but this is immoral in terms of children. I don't see anything wrong with gambling but these "virtual slot machines" are not really right if the game is f2p to everyone.

mark my words, you'll see a story on the news, some kid steals mom's credit card and keeps buying "just one more cartel pack" and rings up her credit card for a thousand dollars. I am sure this happens already but you catch my drift...

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Originally posted by Deewe

In short cartel packs == scam.

Everything is said.

It isn't a scam when you know exactly what you are buying and the purchase is completely optional driven by your own choice.

Just because you don't like it doesn't make it a scam.

Nobody in the game is required to buy cartel packs ... ever. 

You stay sassy!

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by Vesavius
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x
    Originally posted by ezpz77

I'd say that gambling packs are most definetly a sustainable business model. As long as they can keep churning them out, weak-willed individuals will shell out hundreds of dollars, or more, at the chance of winning it big. The trick is to make the stuff in them really desirable and rare. I fully expect to see more items added to these packs that give players a very obvious advantage in game.

I consider myself a pretty thrifty guy. I've never even played a poker game for cash, but years ago, I dropped about $150 on gambling packs in Atlantica Online (in one sitting.) By the time I got what I was after, I didn't even care about the item anymore. A few hours later, my wife ripped me a new ass, and that was the end of my gamblin' days, but they can be extremely effective. I wouldn't doubt for a second that EA is making a truckoad of cash off of them.

Yeah. Thats called addiction ;-) 

Could care less if there were gambling packs in the game.  I wont be using them.  Not for me to tell others not to waste money/time on them if it works for them.

I just want to play my character, which this doesnt interfere with at all.

Personally, I care about a wider situation more then just how it effects me and am aware that this model targets the wallets of vulnerable to make an uncapped amount of money from them.

Personally, I am not ok with that and I feel guilty if my gaming comes at such a cost to others.

Personally, I would prefer we all pay the same minimal amount and be spared manipulative unethical revenue models with hidden costs.

I understand.  Its just that you can't control someone else's action. At some point an individual has to be responsible for their own actions.  

Its like feeling guilty for eating because someone else in the world is starving.  How much do you take on?  Where do you draw the line?

I still feel we should pay for what we use.  The original MMO sub model back in the 90s existed because there were 1-2 MMOs and to support the model you had to pay a premium.  Fast forward like 20 years and MMOs are now mainstream like console games.  Why (only) offer the sub model?  It makes more business sense to be flexible.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Originally posted by Karteli

EA set the date for their next earnings call.  Just under 2 weeks from now.

http://investor.ea.com/events.cfm?list=Future

Future Event
    Jan 30, 2013
    2:00 PM PT
    Electronic Arts Q3 2013 Earnings Conference Call

We'll get a glimpse of just how profittable the Cartel Market has been.  I'd give a free wager (har!) that it will be announced as a huge success, with some other spin about new free accounts and monetizing those free accounts to generate revenue.  .. Even though IMO most of the revenue is coming from subscribers spending more.

I suspect you will be right. The subscibers are the big spenders here and wherever I go.

I will expect your full report on this prior to Jan 30. image

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

I appreciate your comment. I understand we are of different opinion here.

I believe in personal responsibility and I don't want anybody to decide for me what is good for me and what is bad. If I want to buy something in cash shop it is my decision, and my only. BioWare is not forcing me to do it. Somebody who looses all his money due gambling receives much better lesson then if you would just cut him out of it.  If you won't touch fire as a child you won't learn that you should avoid it.

Parents should be responsible for their kids in a game and it's their decision how to deal with cash shop, but adults should be responisble for themselves. As soon as you decide for others what to do and how to do you crate civilization ofmindless victims, who don't want to take responsibility for their doings and blame everybody else for mistakes of their doing.

Parents also have a responsibility in the choice of games their children play. TOR is rated "T",so children shouldn't be playing this game in the first place. It's my response to every "think about the children" statement. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Sorry for the slight off, but the timing is perfect so I can't miss it:

LotRO is running a Lootbox Weekend right now with increased drop rates :)

(ok, it's actually sad...)

• SunscourSunscour Member UncommonPosts: 186
    As a person who plays Magic the Gathering I understand all to well the appeal of "gambling packs". I have yet to buy anthing of the sort in any  MMO that I play, but I bet I will at some point....... Maybe...........?

Life is Short, Read a Book.

• steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391
    Originally posted by Sunscour
    As a person who plays Magic the Gathering I understand all to well the appeal of "gambling packs". I have yet to buy anthing of the sort in any  MMO that I play, but I bet I will at some point....... Maybe...........?

oh god.... i play Magic for a month every 2-3 years. Then i remember why i quit playing. the $$$ spent adds up so fast.