Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

question on game engine

wesjrwesjr Gilbert, AZMember Posts: 407 Uncommon
If I wanted to make a single/co-op game what would be the best engine to use?

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member Posts: 16,749 Epic
    Originally posted by wesjr

That depends tremendously on what you're trying to do and what your budget is.  But there's a good chance that the best answer is to make your own.  Or else realize that making your game is impractical for you after trying and failing to make your own game engine.

• ArChWindArChWind Some Place, WIMember Posts: 1,224 Uncommon

There are way to many to list here without knowing what you intend to make.

Please take a moment to list some game features.

Like 2D, 3D, world size zoned, open.

Please list your coding preference.

C++, Python, Java, javascript, Lua, C#, basic, C script.

List your game is FPS, Thrid person, niether, bothor otional.

• NC-JohnNC-John burlington, WIMember Posts: 113
    if you want a solid start try Unity 3D it's what I used for some single player games I made with some freinds. very powerful and a great community.

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAMember Posts: 14,247 Rare

What language are you most familiar with?

What is it you need the engine to do for you?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• NevulusNevulus Miami Beach, FLMember Posts: 1,288 Uncommon

I can't believe people would suggest writing his own engine, or drop names of engines without asking him the most important question: "What programming languages do you know or are most comfortable with?"

• heroenginesidekickheroenginesidekick Washington, DCMember Posts: 5
    Originally posted by Nevulus
    I can't believe people would suggest writing his own engine, or drop names of engines without asking him the most important question: "What programming languages do you know or are most comfortable with?"  

Absolutely. That's the first question to ask. Building a game engine is not just basic programming after all. 

• CaldrinCaldrin CwmbranMember Posts: 4,505 Uncommon

There are a few good ones out there depending on what you want to do..

The main one for Indie devs is of course Unity, the basic version is totally free and there is tons of documentation and support.

Then I guess you have CryEngine and Unreal.. Both a really good engines and look and run a lot better than unity.. but you dont have access to source code and if your planning on maknig money from the game then you will have to pay a bit.. but not much..

• ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordMember Posts: 7,207 Common
    Unity is the engine of choice for indie devs.
    There's usually a free / cheap version of Ids engine around too, not the latest of course, but they open up their old engines after a few years. Think epic / unreal engine works same way.
    Your other option is source engine and making a mod.
  • YamotaYamota LondonMember Posts: 6,593 Uncommon
    If you are familiar with Java I would say jMonkeyEngine. It is free and relatively easy to use. However the community is not as active of say for example the Hero Engine. So if you dont mind spending $99 per year that might be a better choice.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Northwest, INMember Posts: 5,035 Uncommon

One other factor is genre.  Some engines are better suited for one genre as opposed to another.  This can be great if you make a good choice, or a real headache if not.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
    Yeah but java.
  • heroenginesidekickheroenginesidekick Washington, DCMember Posts: 5

there are numerous engines out there that have their strengths and drawbacks for sure.  CryEngine, Unity, HeroEngine, Gamesalad all have their place. Regardless, of what you do choose, if you have some C++ experience, it will be great help on whatever engine you end up going with.

Some FPS demo footage that might help: 

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member Posts: 961 Uncommon

What ever you do , do not make your own unless you know what your doing even then its a waste of time, I have made games for years, and I never needed to make my own, there are enough out there I can do what I like with them.

Unity, unreal, UDK, Cry 3 to name a few are the ones I use alot, Hero don't care what the trolls say Hero is a great engine , but depends what your plans are , what is your target platform, what type of game is it, there are many factors here, all engines have there strengths and weakness's. So you would need to give more information,

My advise is to download UDK, Unity and CRY 3 `all are free to use, and try them Hero you can get for a cheap 90 bucks I think, and try it, but depends as we all said..

If your going for Android market Unity all the way.. If its Open world, Go Hero or Cry, if its a game with alot of levels, Unreal is great for Level streaming, so depends on your experince as well.

• anemoanemo Member Posts: 1,009 Uncommon

Normally I view the correct answer as "If you don't know where you start, you don't know enough to do so"...

But you're an even worse case of not even knowing enough to ask the question correctly.

_______

You should be starting with your intentions commercial / noncommercial / promotional. If you have cash resources available, or nothing at all.   What your skills are.  If you have access to other people's time(IE: artist/programmer/music/SFX/writer).  nformation like if you're under 18 or in college so people know if you have access to special promotions.

But most importantly you should be answering why you're not joining another team, and just going for a leader/solo position?

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• ArChWindArChWind Some Place, WIMember Posts: 1,224 Uncommon
    Considering that the OP has not returned, we should assume this was a troll post and just ignore it unless the OP comes back to discuss.
  • taus01taus01 MunichMember Posts: 1,352

1. Unreal Engine

Real Industry Standard Engine but needs top knowledge in C++ programming, 3D/OpenGL programming and game design in general. This is best choice hands down since it is the most robust and flexible option out there. Not for beginners unless you really want to dig in and learn how to do it right.

2. Unity Engine

Decent Indie 3D Engine. Has great support but lacks in the customizabilty department since you can not change the source code and there are quite a few limitations. For example, you can not cut down trees, just won't happen.

3. Hero Engine

Quick Prototype Engine that offers 2005 graphics like EQ1 but comes with more customizability and full MMO capabilities and server hosting if you want to give them 30% of your income. If not it costs too much and you should go Unreal. Graphics suck though.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• JamesPJamesP Portland, MEMember Posts: 479 Uncommon
    Originally posted by Darkcrystal
    What ever you do , do not make your own unless you know what your doing even then its a waste of time, I have made games for years, and I never needed to make my own, there are enough out there I can do what I like with them.   Unity, unreal, UDK, Cry 3 to name a few are the ones I use alot, Hero don't care what the trolls say Hero is a great engine , but depends what your plans are , what is your target platform, what type of game is it, there are many factors here, all engines have there strengths and weakness's. So you would need to give more information,     My advise is to download UDK, Unity and CRY 3 `all are free to use, and try them Hero you can get for a cheap 90 bucks I think, and try it, but depends as we all said..   If your going for Android market Unity all the way.. If its Open world, Go Hero or Cry, if its a game with alot of levels, Unreal is great for Level streaming, so depends on your experince as well.

HeroEngine IS a great engine... However the restrictions they place on you with HeroCloud when your working on a large Openworld MMO with a semi-large development team is unworkable. They force you to rent your own hardware really in order to remove the restrictions. The restrictions result in Crashes and team members being unable to login or move around because no new Area instances can be loaded once you hit the max Area instances allowed on HeroCloud's Shared Development Servers.

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive
    Greed Monger

http://www.greedmonger.net/forum/index.php