Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online: Alliances at War Video Diary

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Elder Scrolls Online team has released a new developer video diary with Lawrence Schick. In it, Schick talks about the Aldmeri Dominion, Daggerfall Covenant, and Ebonheart Pact and why they are at war. He reveals reasons and motives behind the war. Check it out! 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• bakabrödbakabröd Member Posts: 129

i dont get all the dev movies with a fat guy talks about a game that he wants to do well becouse he was part of making it.

rather see some ingame shots or such.

to much about the ppl behind the games nowdays then the games itself.

anyways im really gonna buy and try this game when it arrives on the shelfs.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

Its weird how all these ESO articles havent cought my interest- i loved Skyrim so...not sure why this is.

maybe iam just waiting for the actual game to be released -or close to beta or vids of some sort... , but I hope it has the same graphics quality that GW2 has or else i just wont get into it. as far as an mmo goes for me nowadays.

so far what ive seen reminds me of warhammer online, and well...i have warhammer online.
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

::UPDATE:::

ok found this on their site...

http://elderscrollsonline.com/en/media/screenshots/337

its pretty sweet.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

Poor Lawrence Schick, having to try to spackle over the real reasons for these alliances:  The developers needed contiguous areas to develop for their DAoC mandated three PvP system.  Some fit better than others, but the Khajit-Dunmer-Nord combination is particularly bad, given their consistent lore of hating and fighting one another.    

Can't let that Elder Scrolls stuff get in the way of the design mandate.  

Just maybe, that  sort of thing will be explored in the PVE adventuring in the various regions, but they are going to have to do a bang up job of writing and story telling to make it seem like anything more than developer conveniance.  I wish them luck.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• releasemereleaseme Member Posts: 8
    Give us a beta already you assolz! :*(
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    curved. swords.
  • xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by Arglebargle

Poor Lawrence Schick, having to try to spackle over the real reasons for these alliances:  The developers needed contiguous areas to develop for their DAoC mandated three PvP system.  Some fit better than others, but the Khajit-Dunmer-Nord combination is particularly bad, given their consistent lore of hating and fighting one another.    

Can't let that Elder Scrolls stuff get in the way of the design mandate.  

Just maybe, that  sort of thing will be explored in the PVE adventuring in the various regions, but they are going to have to do a bang up job of writing and story telling to make it seem like anything more than developer conveniance.  I wish them luck.

Why does there have to be developer lead factions tied to race? Why can't people choose their alligence and forgo the racial tensions like we did in Daggerfall. Or better yet, allow people to fight over the middle map and do away with developer factions entirely. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• KossuthKossuth Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Surprisingly interesting view actually.

Bjoern / Sir Prime

Habitual Euthanasia
    Pandemic Legion

• SabbicatSabbicat Member UncommonPosts: 290
    I am seriously anticipating this game. I hope it lives up to expectaions.
  • PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

What if I want to play a Nord who was (as a child) was taken in by Redguard and fights against his own blood because he has no idea who he really is?

What if I want to play a Breton who was cast out by his own people, marked as a traitor and now fights for Ebonheart Pact?

What if I want to play a "nonpartisan" arms dealer  that wants to sell to all 3 factions?

What if I want to play a character that was kidnapped and brought up by the Thieves Guild and now makes his fortune from stealing from all sides?

What if I want to play a member of the Assassins Guild and carries out contracts from whomever pays?

What if I want to play a character that is a Wanderer/Adventurer seeking his place over the known word?

What if I want to play a simple crafter/trader that doesnt want any part of this war and just sells his wares all over Tamriel?

Oh, I guess I cant play Firors version of Elder Scrolls

Some RPG this is

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by bakabröd

i dont get all the dev movies with a fat guy talks about a game that he wants to do well becouse he was part of making it.

rather see some ingame shots or such.

to much about the ppl behind the games nowdays then the games itself.

anyways im really gonna buy and try this game when it arrives on the shelfs.

He wasn't talking about how he "wants the game to do well because he was a part of making it." He was giving backstory for the game and letting people know what it's all about.

Too much about the people behind the game? You mean, us knowing his name and that he can talk?

LOL

--------

Anyway, nice video. I'm looking forward to trying this game out more and more as they release new information.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by PyrateLV

What if I want to play a Nord who was (as a child) was taken in by Redguard and fights against his own blood because he has no idea who he really is?

What if I want to play a Breton who was cast out by his own people, marked as a traitor and now fights for Ebonheart Pact?

What if I want to play a "nonpartisan" arms dealer  that wants to sell to all 3 factions?

What if I want to play a character that was kidnapped and brought up by the Thieves Guild and now makes his fortune from stealing from all sides?

What if I want to play a member of the Assassins Guild and carries out contracts from whomever pays?

What if I want to play a character that is a Wanderer/Adventurer seeking his place over the known word?

What if I want to play a simple crafter/trader that doesnt want any part of this war and just sells his wares all over Tamriel?

Oh, I guess I cant play Firors version of Elder Scrolls

Some RPG this is

You'd be better off learning to code, animate and make your own game during all your spare time from not playing any MMOs, 'cause no game is going to give you the amount of options you're looking for, at least not in the foreseeable future.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by orbitxo

Its weird how all these ESO articles havent cought my interest- i loved Skyrim so...not sure why this is.

maybe iam just waiting for the actual game to be released -or close to beta or vids of some sort... , but I hope it has the same graphics quality that GW2 has or else i just wont get into it. as far as an mmo goes for me nowadays.

so far what ive seen reminds me of warhammer online, and well...i have warhammer online.

For those who haven't seen gameplay here you go, a 9 min vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sv160bre2og

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

I feel sad.

TES is the last great RPG series and has an exciting setting but wanting to cover the WoW crowd and the TES crowd is bringing together Matter and Antimatter to play Daoc.

My imagination can not cover the possible happenings...

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    Lore is one of the least important things to me in an MMO. Give me a 3-faction RvR system like DAOC, and you can count me in. I'm still skeptical though. I get the feeling they're gonna make it too much like WoW.
  • MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Aviggin

You'd be better off learning to code, animate and make your own game during all your spare time from not playing any MMOs, 'cause no game is going to give you the amount of options you're looking for, at least not in the foreseeable future.

Oh come on!

They actually have to program these restrictions...

Think about it. Someone sat down and said "OK we have the 9 races, the entire continent of Tamriel, all the guilds, the TES combat, the TES graphics, exploration, NPC's, monsters, Intelligent AI, Spells, Combat....all we need to do now is program a few things to stops people being able to do all this great stuff when they want to...

...Lets start by having factions, lock 3 races into each faction, don't worry about existing lore, the fact taht some of the allies are sworn enemies, just make new shit up....lock each faction zone down so now it isn't an open world of free exploration...make joining a side in the war compulsary...yeah that should do for a start".

They actually had to do more work to put all these stupid restrictions in place. Without the extra restrictions all the possible character concepts he mentioned would have been possible.

If I had to sum up the design concept and my gut feeling for what they have done locing down regions, races and factions....RETARDED!

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by OgreRaper
    Lore is one of the least important things to me in an MMO. Give me a 3-faction RvR system like DAOC, and you can count me in.

I get the feeling that the designers, or at least the guy with the last word on game design, had the exact same opinion...not sure it is a good choice considering the endless wealth of lore and history behind the entire TES series. Makes me sad.