Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA to release multiple new limited duration gambling packs in the future, citing their implementatio

Comments

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Camaro68
    Originally posted by Po_gg

I think it's shady and is a steal from the players - not that charging 10-20$ in the store for a few pixels wouldn't be a steal on it's own, but charging 1-100$ fo

I tell you what it's alot like all these shady retail stores in my town charging for merchandise.  They've got aisles full of crap I don't need but other people will pay big money for.  It's completely up to those shoppers whether or not they buy that stuff but they go ahead and do it anyway.  Shady I tell you.

Well, if those stores are selling big black boxes for $10 a pop with only the promise that they *might* contain something, then yep, I think they are shady too.

I think you are missing the point.

Sell stuff in your cash shop, that's fine, whatever, but be honest and transparent about it. Using callous gambling mechanics and concealed pricing to manipulate the gulliable and addicted into spending more *is* shady.

I am glad though... I am against cash shops in games in general (believing they give the consumer an awful deal in reality) and these kinds of stunts will creat so much bad will and buyer's remorse amongst those that are pretty neutral to them right now that I no longer really feel the need to argue against them too heavily- Give these companies enough rope and they *will* hang themselves. Their greed makes anything else impossible in the long run.

Let me ask you though Cam... how much do you spend in EA's cash shop a month?

Originally posted by Rohn

Some people like to gamble.  Others are overly worried about what other people spend their money on.

Actually, self edit or I will be warned again for talking about ethics, despite everyone else also talking about ethics.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Originally posted by mrrshann618

Discusted at SWTOR "gambling packs"? well start looking around and you'll start to get more and more disgusted atMMO's in general. not jsut SWTOR

This is true.  And in fact, this is true of game makers in general.  I have a hard time thinking of a single game company that isn't screwing people over somehow.

Making a Prima Guide?  You are charging us for free info!

Launch day DLC?  You already made enough money to create it, and then charged us twice.

Season Passes?  Multiply that DLC issue X4.

Monthly sub?  Well, why don't you launch new content every month, when we pay for it every month?

Buggy launch?  Game was not ready for launch then.

Always-ON DRM for offline playable games?  So, basically, the game is a glorified rental.

Doritos for in-game bonuses?  Thinly disguised Pay 2 Wins?  WOW!

Paid reviews?  YOU CORRUPT PIECE OF SHITE!!!

The point isn't that it should be justified.  The point is, the game industry is going downhill fast.  But, if you're going to judge EA and Bioware for the vile things they do, then you need to judge them all.  Soon, you'll realize that the gaming industry is wrought with corruption, evil marketing, and  customer manipulations that would make even some insurance executives blush!  Why?  Because either you, or your friends, have put up with it for years now.

Bonus example:  A whole quarter for just a few minutes of gameplay?  You have got to be kidding me!?

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Souldrainer

Discusted at SWTOR "gambling packs"? well start looking around and you'll start to get more and more disgusted atMMO's in general. not jsut SWTOR

This is true.  And in fact, this is true of game makers in general.  I have a hard time thinking of a single game company that isn't screwing people over somehow.

Making a Prima Guide?  You are charging us for free info!

Launch day DLC?  You already made enough money to create it, and then charged us twice.

Season Passes?  Multiply that DLC issue X4.

Monthly sub?  Well, why don't you launch new content every month, when we pay for it every month?

Buggy launch?  Game was not ready for launch then.

Always-ON DRM for offline playable games?  So, basically, the game is a glorified rental.

Doritos for in-game bonuses?  Thinly disguised Pay 2 Wins?  WOW!

Paid reviews?  YOU CORRUPT PIECE OF SHITE!!!

The point isn't that it should be justified.  The point is, the game industry is going downhill fast.  But, if you're going to judge EA and Bioware for the vile things they do, then you need to judge them all.  Soon, you'll realize that the gaming industry is wrought with corruption, evil marketing, and  customer manipulations that would make even some insurance executives blush!  Why?  Because either you, or your friends, have put up with it for years now.

Bonus example:  A whole quarter for just a few minutes of gameplay?  You have got to be kidding me!?

Memories memories :) 

I still remember when I was growing up saving my quarters for the week and using them on arcade games. Good times. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• EvgireonEvgireon Member Posts: 71
    Originally posted by meddyck
    Since the packs are making them so much money, they could lighten up on some of the F2P restrictions. Allow more warzones and space missions per week. Allow companion customization and hiding head slots. And let F2Pers have access to all of their quest rewards.

Maybe you should do more farming and less qq?

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by superniceguy

STO had lockboxes long before SWTOR had a cash shop. They are essentially the same thing. It is proven to work on other MMO so why not SWTOR? Yeah they may have had longer runs, can be found during normal adventuring however to open them you need keys, and keys are most commonly bought from the online store.

Yeah and SWG had it in TCG too, with a $15 sub fee.

Either way I have no intentions on paying anything on any MMO on these things, but in SWG I got 5 free packs each month with the sub, and STO I have a 1 lifetime subscription (which has well paid itself now after 3 years so now is fully free) with a monthly stipend of dilithium, and 1 free account, so over time I can get unlock the boxes without doing anything, and STO has more things worthwhile to do to get more dilithium, whereas SWTOR does not (for credits)

The other thing in STO is, all you have to do is play the game to get the lockboxes from loot drops, you do not buy the lockboxes from the ZEN store (unless it is an in game trade from other players using whatever currency you want), only the keys, so you need to play the game within the limit, to get the lockboxes before a new lockbox is introduced, and you can still hoard the lockboxes away and get the keys when you are ready. STOs way of doing it promotes gameplay, whereas SWTORs way is all Cartel Store.

Nope it isn't all Cartel Store at all , the gambling packs can be sold on the GTN and thus if someone grinds for their in game credits then they can grab some for free. Also you could hoard them and sell them at a mega profit when they vanish from the Cartel Market.

I believe the OP missed the metrics for what things sell for on the GTN from these boxes. Plus you don't have to buy them at all you could just grind for in game credits and buy everything you want from there instead. I'm glad the 2 new level 10 crystals will be fixed soon , really want to buy some cyan / blue and orange / red ones , you can only have so many pink / purple ones.

The main thing about all this is Damion Schubert is being very active over the last few days detailing various things. one really funny thing is how in an early build they had an alien speaking player character race on tython but after 4 missions you just wanted to punch the monitor so no they aren't going to introduce any alien player races. No wookies , jawa's etc.

Funny stuff,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by ezpz77

I'd say that gambling packs are most definetly a sustainable business model. As long as they can keep churning them out, weak-willed individuals will shell out hundreds of dollars, or more, at the chance of winning it big. The trick is to make the stuff in them really desirable and rare. I fully expect to see more items added to these packs that give players a very obvious advantage in game.

I consider myself a pretty thrifty guy. I've never even played a poker game for cash, but years ago, I dropped about $150 on gambling packs in Atlantica Online (in one sitting.) By the time I got what I was after, I didn't even care about the item anymore. A few hours later, my wife ripped me a new ass, and that was the end of my gamblin' days, but they can be extremely effective. I wouldn't doubt for a second that EA is making a truckoad of cash off of them.

Yeah. Thats called addiction ;-) 

Could care less if there were gambling packs in the game.  I wont be using them.  Not for me to tell others not to waste money/time on them if it works for them.

I just want to play my character, which this doesnt interfere with at all.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by BadOrb

STO had lockboxes long before SWTOR had a cash shop. They are essentially the same thing. It is proven to work on other MMO so why not SWTOR? Yeah they may have had longer runs, can be found during normal adventuring however to open them you need keys, and keys are most commonly bought from the online store.

Yeah and SWG had it in TCG too, with a $15 sub fee.

Either way I have no intentions on paying anything on any MMO on these things, but in SWG I got 5 free packs each month with the sub, and STO I have a 1 lifetime subscription (which has well paid itself now after 3 years so now is fully free) with a monthly stipend of dilithium, and 1 free account, so over time I can get unlock the boxes without doing anything, and STO has more things worthwhile to do to get more dilithium, whereas SWTOR does not (for credits)

The other thing in STO is, all you have to do is play the game to get the lockboxes from loot drops, you do not buy the lockboxes from the ZEN store (unless it is an in game trade from other players using whatever currency you want), only the keys, so you need to play the game within the limit, to get the lockboxes before a new lockbox is introduced, and you can still hoard the lockboxes away and get the keys when you are ready. STOs way of doing it promotes gameplay, whereas SWTORs way is all Cartel Store.

Nope it isn't all Cartel Store at all , the gambling packs can be sold on the GTN and thus if someone grinds for their in game credits then they can grab some for free. Also you could hoard them and sell them at a mega profit when they vanish from the Cartel Market.

I believe the OP missed the metrics for what things sell for on the GTN from these boxes. Plus you don't have to buy them at all you could just grind for in game credits and buy everything you want from there instead. I'm glad the 2 new level 10 crystals will be fixed soon , really want to buy some cyan / blue and orange / red ones , you can only have so many pink / purple ones.

The main thing about all this is Damion Schubert is being very active over the last few days detailing various things. one really funny thing is how in an early build they had an alien speaking player character race on tython but after 4 missions you just wanted to punch the monitor so no they aren't going to introduce any alien player races. No wookies , jawa's etc.

Funny stuff,

BadOrb.

You can only buy the stuff from the GTN as long as another player has bought them from the Cartel Store and put them up for sale. It is guaranteed money to EA.

STO is grind dilithium and buy on the store, no money needs to go to Perfect World at all if you play the game instead.

If people get fed up of grinding credits in SWTOR for these pakcs, then people who bought the packs to get credits, might end up taking longer to sell, or people may reduce the Cartel Pack purchases and then less appear on the store. In STO this is not an issue as the keys will always be for sale, and if people give up going for dilithium to buy the keys, then no other player will lose out, only Perfect World.

STOs way of doing things, make this sort of thing more fun and rewarding. I never touched SWGs TCG loots packs with a barge pole, and I liked SWG more than STO.

• nukempronukempro Member Posts: 76
    Pretty disgusting....fanboys will defend anything though.. As someone else already said..paying a box price and sub so the devs can create items to sell you in the cash shop...items that you may or may not get because its gambling...I mean just wow. At this point I would sooner eat a warm shit sandwich then ever go near P2W cashgrab that tor has become. It's sad another company can't try their hand at a star wars mmo.
  • xBarachielxxBarachielx Member Posts: 15

"Why am I always broke?" - Spent his last 50 bucks on a virtual game item.

"Why am I so goddamn fat? - Just after gobbling down his third big mac of the day. 

Too bad the giant asteroid never hit.

• Black-DogBlack-Dog Member Posts: 18

There have been cases in the way past if I remember correctly where people would buy and buy items in the chance of getting the stuff they need in a game, leading to it being obsessive and rather draining should we say on funds.. Needless to say people who sometimes get addicted sometimes do strange things to get those items, which filters over into the real world causing all sorts of issues..

Id have to brand the whole pack stuff and take ones chances as a terrible method with no regard to who may be on the other end of the stick... they can not vet every person buying so they should find new ways to bring in the money other than old underhanded tactics praying on peoples lack of willpower to not want goodies should we say....

It may work but its not really nice is it now.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

To be honest i very much prefer this kind of boxes over "golden bullets" or other pure P2W items If they are what keeps the game afloat i saythey can churn out them boxes til the cows come home.

I like them in most games. It is fun to buy one or two every now and then for the thrill as you click it. 9/10 times you get just stuff. But every now and then you get some good stuff.

Then again i would never plunk down several hundreds in those boxes.. no game have had that good boxes yet.

Edit: Also i like to point out that the desire for "cool stuff" have pretty much been the driving force of capitalism... So if it works in the real world... Ofc it will work in a game.

This have been a good conversation

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

*SNIP

In STO this is not an issue as the keys will always be for sale, and if people give up going for dilithium to buy the keys, then no other player will lose out, only Perfect World.

To convert dilithium to ZEN, someone has to have purchased the ZEN and put them on the exchange. While it is possible to short Cryptic by buying low and selling high, they still make money from people willing to buy ZEN and convert it to dilithium.

The ZEN on the exchange is not from Cryptic, it is from other players.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458

Well from what I've seen the cartel pack's and the Cartel Market altogether appear very popular.The newest big Cartel pack (Skip Tracer) has the gtn (ah) flooded with item's for sale on the server I'm on.

The only thing I don't like is how the latest pack also allow's to get rare's and super rare's from the previous 2.So it is even harder to get what you want from the new pack.

Let's say pack set 1 and pack set 2 both had 20 rare's/super rare's per set.So you had those in the random generator per set.With set 3 you have another 20 plus the previous 40 thrown into the random generator.So if looking for a rare/super rare from the new pack's you have a less chance then in the other 2 set's.These are just random figure's here and I don't know the exact number of rare/super rare's.

I bought 4 pack's and got a speeder and clothing from a previous set.My opinion is once a pack is no longer for sale,the new pack shouldn't offer item's for the same pack in a later pack.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

*SNIP

In STO this is not an issue as the keys will always be for sale, and if people give up going for dilithium to buy the keys, then no other player will lose out, only Perfect World.

To convert dilithium to ZEN, someone has to have purchased the ZEN and put them on the exchange. While it is possible to short Cryptic by buying low and selling high, they still make money from people willing to buy ZEN and convert it to dilithium.

Nope that's not how that started out. They put zen in the conversion store initially to get the market flowing. :) sorry to burst your bubble. The same thing happened in GW2 , they manipulate the markets 

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

*SNIP

If that is true, then it is not so obvious, and still less sleazy as you are just buying dilithium to purchase various other items which is not the gambling keys.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Devs have been very active lately... someone on the SWTOR forum even started a threat about it LOL - the Op's comment comes from dev tracker...

As to new cartel packs... let them comingimage

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=587483

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Star Wars fans will pay anything for anything they put in the game.

If you have a horrible product that has no viability on the market unless it caters the fanbois, milk it.

Milk it hard.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by Karteli

EA set the date for their next earnings call.  Just under 2 weeks from now.

http://investor.ea.com/events.cfm?list=Future

Future Event
    Jan 30, 2013
    2:00 PM PT
    Electronic Arts Q3 2013 Earnings Conference Call

We'll get a glimpse of just how profittable the Cartel Market has been.  I'd give a free wager (har!) that it will be announced as a huge success, with some other spin about new free accounts and monetizing those free accounts to generate revenue.  .. Even though IMO most of the revenue is coming from subscribers spending more.

Some verbage yes; details - doubtful. Cannot see EA wanting to talk much about SWTOR. Could be tough big picture questions with EA no longer a NASDAQ 100 company.

However ...

That the cash shop brings in money is obvious but that doesn't mean they can keep a game going (e.g. CoH closed). The big question is how much is SWTOR costing EA to run.

In the last call JR said that they were looking at needing 500k sunscribers for the game to run at a profit in its current incarnation - less than the 1M number early last year but with fewer staff and maybe the development costs written off ... anyway 500k. They also said that they were looking at a 50/50 split between subs and cash shop purchases.

So there may be a comment about cash shop bringing in more money (maybe) than subs. This can be answered without details and given a positive spin even if the number of subs has dropped to zero.

They may also talk about the big rise in accounts.

If the analysts have been a Zynga presentations however then they may want more specific data. Actuals sub numbers .... churn ... percentage of accounts spending any money in the cash shop etc.

Originally posted by GoldenArrow

Star Wars fans will pay anything for anything they put in the game.

If you have a horrible product that has no viability on the market unless it caters the fanbois, milk it.

Milk it hard.

Hmmm I think it applies not only to Star Wars fans...  and why would it bother you or anybody in fact,  that fans are milked :) Fans have their minds and they decide if they want to be milked or not. It's nobody else business.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

Originally posted by darkhalf357x

I'd say that gambling packs are most definetly a sustainable business model. As long as they can keep churning them out, weak-willed individuals will shell out hundreds of dollars, or more, at the chance of winning it big. The trick is to make the stuff in them really desirable and rare. I fully expect to see more items added to these packs that give players a very obvious advantage in game.

I consider myself a pretty thrifty guy. I've never even played a poker game for cash, but years ago, I dropped about $150 on gambling packs in Atlantica Online (in one sitting.) By the time I got what I was after, I didn't even care about the item anymore. A few hours later, my wife ripped me a new ass, and that was the end of my gamblin' days, but they can be extremely effective. I wouldn't doubt for a second that EA is making a truckoad of cash off of them.

Could care less if there were gambling packs in the game.  I wont be using them.  Not for me to tell others not to waste money/time on them if it works for them.

Personally, I care about a wider situation more then just how it effects me and am aware that this model targets the wallets of vulnerable to make an uncapped amount of money from them.

Personally, I am not ok with that and I feel guilty if my gaming comes at such a cost to others.

Personally, I would prefer we all pay the same minimal amount and be spared manipulative unethical revenue models with hidden costs.

Originally posted by Vesavius

Personally, I care about a wider situation more then just how it effects me and am aware that this model targets the wallets of vulnerable to make an uncapped amount of money from them.

Personally, I am not ok with that and I feel guilty if my gaming comes at such a cost to others.

Personally, I would prefer we all pay the same minimal amount and be spared manipulative unethical revenue models with hidden costs.

This seems to me much like a "Welcome to George Orwell's world.." Please,  let the gamblers have fun if they so desire and non-gamblers who do not wish to spend a penny to  not have to have this minimal amount (I would call it tax) added to their sub.

Let the player have freedom of choice.

Originally posted by Sevenstar61

This seems to me much like a "Welcome to George Orwell's world.." Please,  let the gamblers have fun if they so desire and non-gamblers who do not wish to spend a penny to  not have to have this minimal amount (I would call it tax) added to their sub.

This is too deep to get into here, because it will take us into a discussion of empathy, responsibility for (vulnerable) others, and sociopathic behaviours, all of which would probably get me warned or even banned for discussing 'ethics'.

And I probably would not convince you of anything anyhow. I suspect it is something someone naturally understands or not.

So... I will let you get on with your thing and wish you luck.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by itgrowls

*SNIP

Nope that's not how that started out. They put zen in the conversion store initially to get the market flowing. :) sorry to burst your bubble. The same thing happened in GW2 , they manipulate the markets 

Interesting. Though, I do believe that Cryptic can manipulate the exchange, there is no evidence that it is happening. Maybe in the beginnning to, as you say, "get the market flowing".

Edit: thread with official responses on the matter

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

Originally posted by Sevenstar61

This is too deep to get into here, because it will take us into a discussion of empathy, responsibility for (vulnerable) others, and sociopathic behaviours, all of which would probably get me warned or even banned for discussing 'ethics'.

And I probably would not convince you of anything anyhow. I suspect it is something someone naturally understands or not.

So... I will let you get on with your thing and wish you luck.

I appreciate your comment. I understand we are of different opinion here.

I believe in personal responsibility and I don't want anybody to decide for me what is good for me and what is bad. If I want to buy something in cash shop it is my decision, and my only. BioWare is not forcing me to do it. Somebody who looses all his money due gambling receives much better lesson then if you would just cut him out of it.  If you won't touch fire as a child you won't learn that you should avoid it.

Parents should be responsible for their kids in a game and it's their decision how to deal with cash shop, but adults should be responisble for themselves. As soon as you decide for others what to do and how to do you crate civilization ofmindless victims, who don't want to take responsibility for their doings and blame everybody else for mistakes of their doing.