Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skipping Neverwinter based on art/combat style

Apok_23Apok_23 Member Posts: 3
To each their own, but I just don't dig it. D&D has always been a cerebral game and about immersion into whatever character or world you happened to have created.

This combat/art style completely destroys immersion (IMO). Watch the current character class videos and you expect to see a bubbles pop up filled with "BAM!" or "POOOOOW!" like the old sixties Batman show.

Combat is so over the top and exaggerated it looks like Marvel vs. Capcom or Street fighter from back in the day.

If you like it, more power to you. But there's very little room for the "R" in "RPG" when you swing your sword and it looks like there was a small thermo-nuclear detonation.

It saddens me they took the "RPG" out of THE "RPG".

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Apok_23
    To each their own, but I just don't dig it. D&D has always been a cerebral game and about immersion into whatever character or world you happened to have created. This combat/art style completely destroys immersion (IMO). Watch the current character class videos and you expect to see a bubbles pop up filled with "BAM!" or "POOOOOW!" like the old sixties Batman show. Combat is so over the top and exaggerated it looks like Marvel vs. Capcom or Street fighter from back in the day. If you like it, more power to you. But there's very little room for the "R" in "RPG" when you swing your sword and it looks like there was a small thermo-nuclear detonation. It saddens me they took the "RPG" out of THE "RPG".

image I was gonna say that's a silly reason, but I agree with how D&D should be presented image

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628

whew, this has been weighing pretty heavily on my mind.  Will Apok play? Won't he?  I needs to know now!!!!!

It isn't actually necessary to share your every stray throught with the world.  And you made an account just to post this?!

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

It saddens me to hear people say they can't roleplay for one reason or another in a game. Whether it be lack of tree-climbing ability or sword animations.

I guess imagination is overrated these days.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Meh, I enjoy the look of the over-the-top animations. Not that big a deal to me. As someone who only played D&D one time and didnt' care for it, this just looks like some fast-paced fun action. Whether it plays as well as it looks is a different story. I don't necessarily trust Cryptic's judgment in terms of fun at this point.
  • exwinexwin Member Posts: 221
    All combat and no substance, sounds just like what Cryptic did to Star Trek Online.
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Do you want us to convince you not to skip it?  What's the point of this thread?
  • Apok_23Apok_23 Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by augustgrace

whew, this has been weighing pretty heavily on my mind.  Will Apok play? Won't he?  I needs to know now!!!!!It isn't actually necessary to share your every stray throught with the world.  And you made an account just to post this?!

Re read your post, then look up "irony" and proceed to feel as stupid as you look. You think your "530" posts invalidates someone's opinion? Last I checked this was the "general discussion" and that was a "general" observation on my part.

For the record, you may want to hold off playing internet mmo tough guy until you remove your TOR sig. That pretty much tells everyone you have no idea what your talking about when it comes to mmo's.
  • RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

whew, this has been weighing pretty heavily on my mind.  Will Apok play? Won't he?  I needs to know now!!!!!

It isn't actually necessary to share your every stray throught with the world.  And you made an account just to post this?!

Re read your post, then look up "irony" and proceed to feel as stupid as you look. You think your "530" posts invalidates someone's opinion? Last I checked this was the "general discussion" and that was a "general" observation on my part. For the record, you may want to hold off playing internet mmo tough guy until you remove your TOR sig. That pretty much tells everyone you have no idea what your talking about when it comes to mmo's.

Its more the fact that we see people making accounts for the sake of burning down a game. For example with the game i follow being TSW i had somone make a account just to wait for anything wrong to go with the game and then spam threads about it. Its usually hard to tell when people who start complaining on their first post are legit or just trolls.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• Apok_23Apok_23 Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Rayshe

whew, this has been weighing pretty heavily on my mind.  Will Apok play? Won't he?  I needs to know now!!!!! It isn't actually necessary to share your every stray throught with the world.  And you made an account just to post this?!

Re read your post, then look up "irony" and proceed to feel as stupid as you look. You think your "530" posts invalidates someone's opinion? Last I checked this was the "general discussion" and that was a "general" observation on my part. For the record, you may want to hold off playing internet mmo tough guy until you remove your TOR sig. That pretty much tells everyone you have no idea what your talking about when it comes to mmo's.

Its more the fact that we see people making accounts for the sake of burning down a game. For example with the game i follow being TSW i had somone make a account just to wait for anything wrong to go with the game and then spam threads about it. Its usually hard to tell when people who start complaining on their first post are legit or just trolls.

Thank you. At least you can be an adult. I'm not burning down the game. I just made an observation based on "my" criteria for D&D. I didn't talk trash about people who do like it. I'm old school when it comes to D&D. I have alot of fond memories of the game and really feel the spirit of the game is being bastardised to make a buck. I'm not telling anyone not to play it. I'm just explaining why alot of D&D fans that have been waiting for a Forgotten Realms setting are probably pretty disappointed. I played DDO, but just didn't like the Ebberon setting. For the record, I bought, but did not like "Almur: Reckoning" for the same reasons of art/combat style.
  • IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

Thank you. At least you can be an adult. I'm not burning down the game. I just made an observation based on "my" criteria for D&D. I didn't talk trash about people who do like it. I'm old school when it comes to D&D. I have alot of fond memories of the game and really feel the spirit of the game is being bastardised to make a buck. I'm not telling anyone not to play it. I'm just explaining why alot of D&D fans that have been waiting for a Forgotten Realms setting are probably pretty disappointed. I played DDO, but just didn't like the Ebberon setting. For the record, I bought, but did not like "Almur: Reckoning" for the same reasons of art/combat style.

You're not burning down the game, REALLY????

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

So says the guy who just created an account to talk smack about a game who won't post on their real account who is such an adult that he is already smack talking other people.  Maybe you missed the news flash but Neverwinter is D&D inspired it is not doing to be a true D&D experiance compared to PnP.

If you think that DDO is D&D then your a hypocrit since DDO is nothing D&D, it is D&D in name only and more bastardizes D&D than NW ever will.

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675
    I hope all other 6.9 to 7 billion in the world make an account to tell us they are not playing.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

My suggestion would be to put off making judgement until you find out if the gameplay is to your liking.

My reason for saying this is that it's fairly clear that developers aren't giving us many hits with good gameplay.  It might be a really long wait until something else comes along worth playing.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

I'm a D&D fan, and love the Forgotten Realms setting, and I'm not disappointed in what NW looks like so far.  Actually, it looks like a lot of fun.

When it comes to taste in art or graphics, it's really subjective.  Opinions are just opinions.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628

You know what, I actually agree with your feeling regarding over the top effects and actiony combat in a D&D game.  However I understand that the turn based combat of the tabletop isn't going to appeal in a computer game, and the effects are just dressing to keep people interested.  

If you had genuinely come to start a conversation regarding how far the essense of the tabletop should surrender to the necessities of a visual media, then I would have been happy to engage in a discussion.

But you didn't post looking for discussion.  You came to announce, "meh, I'm not going to play...pay attention to me.  My parents won't hug me."  So you came for attention rather than discussion, and that is just what you got.

The only "irony" here is that you clearly don't understand what the word means.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Bucket List:

#22: Find out if Apok_23 is going to play Neverwinter - CHECK!!

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

Well i do think the OP brings up a good point.

I think combat is a vital component of mmorpgs, be it more strategy or more action based.  However, his good point comes with the trend in removing the RPG from mmorpg.

At what point do these games turn into MMOAction games?

D&D was always about its own little world, rule set, and lore...so its kinda sad to see them attempt to scrap it to appeal to a crowd only interested in combat. 

I guess its that PWE thing they do to games to make them more appealing, and hell, it might be more appealing since theres obviously more people who like all flash and no substance.

Ill try it, since its free.  No way in hell im ever giving PVE any money, cant think of a single game they have done even remotely right, and yeah its cryptic who made the game, but i cant recall ever hearing a single positive word on PVE cash shops and their efffect on the game, and i know theyll be dealing with that for sure.

• SpectralHunterSpectralHunter Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Originally posted by Crunchy222

...obviously more people who like all flash and no substance.

Why do they have to be mutually exclusive?  Not saying Neverwinter will be both but just because a game has flashy attacks doesn't mean the combat isn't deep.

As for all the recent action oriented MMOs?  It's a backlash from years of tab targetting repetitve pattern button mashing.  But then again action oriented combat is repetitive too but in a different way.

I'm sure people will get sick of high gloss action combat and things will balance out again.  This situation is similar to what is happening with themepark and sandbox MMOs.  We're starting to see more potential sandboxes because of the glut of themepark MMOs in recent years.

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 250
    Originally posted by SpectralHunter

Why do they have to be mutually exclusive?  Not saying Neverwinter will be both but just because a game has flashy attacks doesn't mean the combat isn't deep.

Nods

My sentiments exactly. I want to throw cool moves and have a meaningful story with correct lore and puzzles with "not dumb" combat.

Rest of the post about demand and supply seems illuminating, unfortunately my lexicon does not yet register the terms "themepark" and "sandbox" correctly - though sandbox seems like a blackbox in theme to me. Ah! I need to keep up with the trends ... the strain!

• enik3enik3 Member Posts: 37
    Originally posted by grimal
    Do you want us to convince you not to skip it?  What's the point of this thread?

Yeah, what this forum really needs is more fanboyism and flamewars, not observations about MMOs :rolleyes:

Dungeons & Dragons existed before 99.9% of the people had access to computers, so of course people are going to have opinions about a game that veers away from the original feel.

What surprises me is that anyone would even consider playing a Cryptic game. I guess you're all looking forward to chests that you need to purchase a key for and will use a random number generator with undisclosed odds for drops?

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 250
    Originally posted by enik3

What surprises me is that anyone would even consider playing a Cryptic game. I guess you're all looking forward to chests that you need to purchase a key for and will use a random number generator with undisclosed odds for drops?

You do realize that cryptic is developer and not publisher right?

If you are going to criticize, its good - however you should keep your facts right. Cryptic has nothing to do with cash-shop and monies part of the game - publisher does.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

I can agree that combat and even art can ruin a game but I dont apply it to D&D the way you do. I can see a need to make the combat faster paced as a break-away from tradition due to DDO not doing that great before going F2P and the only ACTUAL true D&D combat is TURN BASED.

The art style, outside of combat though doesnt seem bad to me, in fact some of the zones in the clips are spot on and same with the towns, fitting previous D&D single player computer games.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    I dont care what kind of art or combat a game is "suppose" to have as long as it appeals to me.  I'm serious when I say I would play tiddlywinks online if had the art of GW2 and the combat of Neverwinter.  Some people jsut can't suspend disbelief long enough to enjoy.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• kage71kage71 Member UncommonPosts: 123
    To each their own, but I just don't dig it. D&D has always been a cerebral game and about immersion into whatever character or world you happened to have created. This combat/art style completely destroys immersion (IMO). Watch the current character class videos and you expect to see a bubbles pop up filled with "BAM!" or "POOOOOW!" like the old sixties Batman show. Combat is so over the top and exaggerated it looks like Marvel vs. Capcom or Street fighter from back in the day. If you like it, more power to you. But there's very little room for the "R" in "RPG" when you swing your sword and it looks like there was a small thermo-nuclear detonation. It saddens me they took the "RPG" out of THE "RPG".

Bro seriously? Man I tell you first of all I have no clue on what your main topic was even about here... I personally fail to see what does swinging a weapon have to do with "RPG". Number One: The acronym "R" means role so how does watching some video of a game that isn't released yet for you to even make statements like this? Number Two: maybe somewhere you did not fully read what this game is all about even from the beginning they stated this game would be a "Action based" type so for you even talking about how over the top exaggerated is not the fault of the company but  the fault lay on your shoulders since clearly you missed that point. Combat style is "Action", the MMO is because this is a massively multiplayer and RPG is how you interact with other players or how you interact with the NPCs. If you are going to bash a game at least come with something that makes a valid point.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Probably why I spent most of my D&D time cutting out some of the dice rolling and throwing away a lot of the charts.

I wouldn't even say it was "cerebral". It was more for people who enjoyed numbers and minutae. As a DM I concentrated on story telling and "yes" action. To me, immersion was about story telling, creating a realistic world and allowing my players to have a sense of immediacy to what was going on. Not roling a dice and consulting a chart every time someone wanted to scratch their bum.

But then again AS Gary Gygax said, the rules were just guidlines, take what you need and add what you want and throw away what you don't want/need,.

However, I would say that I don't like the art style of Neverwinter.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo