Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] TERA: New F2P Model Combating the Stereotype

Comments

• XirikXirik Member UncommonPosts: 440
    yeah the lesser amount of bankslots and not being able to send vast amounts of gold in the mail sure will make people feel like a 3rd class citizen... *eyeroll*

"You have some serious mental issues you may need to seek some help for. There are others who post things, but do not post them in the way you do. Out of every person who posts crazy shit in this forum, you have some of the craziest and scariest" -FarReach

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

"With our founders, who are our current subscribers"

You forgot us old subbers, some who even paid for a CE, mister Patrick Sun.

Good thing the FAQ says "All user accounts with the Standard or Collector’s Edition (digital or physical) will be transformed into a Veteran account."

Anyways, it's smart what they did. F2P (pretty generous too). Like it? Buy the game (B2P) while the units last and get more benefits.

"DO I STILL NEED TO BUY THE BOX OR DIGITAL VERSION ONCE THE GAME GOES FREE2PLAY?

With the launch of our Free2Play version there is no longer any need to buy a box or digital version. The game can then be downloaded for free on our website. Of course it is possible that some retail partners will still have copies of TERA in stock. You will still be able to gain the Veteran account status by buying one of those copies."

TERA-EU.

So once all the units are sold out, then it's only F2P ---> sub for anyone who wants a bit more out of the game. I don't know what to think of that.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by Xirik
    yeah the lesser amount of bankslots and not being able to send vast amounts of gold in the mail sure will make people feel like a 3rd class citizen... *eyeroll*

Yeah, because you can't trade in person right ...oh wait, you can.

Also i'm sure most people can manage with 72 bank slots.

I don't know, I think the F2P model is very good for the free player, i'm with you on this, eyeroll to the complainers.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238
    Originally posted by jtcgs

They may be closer to F2P than other Freemium games but it is STILL FREEMIUM.

FREE-MIUM = FREE with PREMIUM option

It creates a player class system where free players are second class citizens, or in this case, third class citizens.

I expect things like this from companies like Sony, EA, Funcom...not from a company like EnMasse/BlueHole which is filled with people that have made ACTUAL F2P games targetting the F2P player market.

Freemium does not target the much larger F2P playerbase, it targets subscription players looking for something new, that mostly already passed on the game because it wasnt to their liking...and no freemium game in history ever tricked enough people into a freemium account to regain its former glory...not one, because it doesnt work, the game wasnt good enough to either gain a large playerbase or retain it in the first place.

Go free where the real money is or just let the game die already because its just being prolonged...may as well make the big bucks like Nexon does with their FREE games that are of a much lower quality.

How much more free do you expect them to get? Even for completely free players there's barely any restrictions. It's by far one of the best F2P models I've seen yet and as I said earlier, it's borderline too good. In some areas people who've purchased the client have it better than new subscribers! There's no segregation of the community going on here. The game is F2P, not Freemium.

Some people will bitch about anything I suppose...

• AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 294
    I will give it another shot since it's now F2P, but seriously, this game had some of the most god-awful questing I have ever seen. If that hasn't changed, I doubt I'll play much at all.
    Originally posted by Pivotelite

^ exactly and if you really need more bank slots get a founders sugar daddy :)

I really do suggest people buy the game now for $19 or whatever price that is lower so they can get founders as right now its effectively B2P

and you can really tell lots of people are buying or coming back at the moment.

http://beta.xfire.com/games/teraon

it went from 500/700 hrs played a day to 2000 on the 13th.

"You have some serious mental issues you may need to seek some help for. There are others who post things, but do not post them in the way you do. Out of every person who posts crazy shit in this forum, you have some of the craziest and scariest" -FarReach

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by Rednecksith

()

()

Some people, yes. Who crawled out of their usual subforums.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

How much more free do you expect them to get? Even for completely free players there's barely any restrictions. It's by far one of the best F2P models I've seen yet and as I said earlier, it's borderline too good. In some areas people who've purchased the client have it better than new subscribers! There's no segregation of the community going on here. The game is F2P, not Freemium.

Congrats on such a long post given without really reading what was being replied to. There is a difference between FREE and FREEMIUM and NO FREEMIUM GAME DOES AS WELL AS THE BETTER FREE 2 PLAY GAMES.

They KNOW this, but still went FREEMIUM. That is the point of my post. THere was no COMPLAINT involved...it was a post pointing out the LIE that its a F2P game, and pointing out the bad business decision for what it is.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x
    I agree with RemyBurke. The ultra narrow linear questing has to change. I played in Beta but just thinking of going through the SAME exact quests again is making me cautious. Give us multiple starter areas.

There are alternate areas here and there. Players just need to be a bit more proactive and look for them. Still, it is a standard quest "kill x" game.

Thanks.  At which point can I branch off?  I assume I still have to do the first 10-20 levels using the same quests.  No?

Oh, and if I am using the 'Discovery' (free for 20 levels) edition will that not work when it goes F2P?  Or do I have to purchase and download a whole new client?

Congrats on such a long post given without really reading what was being replied to. There is a difference between FREE and FREEMIUM and NO FREEMIUM GAME DOES AS WELL AS THE BETTER FREE 2 PLAY GAMES.

They KNOW this, but still went FREEMIUM. That is the point of my post. THere was no COMPLAINT involved...it was a post pointing out the LIE that its a F2P game, and pointing out the bad business decision for what it is.

Can I do everything that a subber can as a ftp player? yep! I can lvl to 60, I can do all the same dungeons, I can pvp and not get crushed by p2w weapons, 

What ftp games are you talking about anyway?

Oh, and if I am using the 'Discovery' (free for 20 levels) edition will that not work when it goes F2P?  Or do I have to purchase and download a whole new client?

It will work when it goes ftp. You can hit cap in discovery then wait till FTP comes and continue on lvling.

So... lvl all classes to lvl 20 over the next while? image

I still don't get your point.  wtf is freemium? Why do you care if the game does better or not?  Are you invested?  Its just a game.  You either like it and will try it, or perhaps you played it hate it.

But I dont think you have enough solid evidence to back up that it was a bad business decision.  (Nor that anyone cares).

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by Pivotelite

and you can really tell lots of people are buying or coming back at the moment.

http://beta.xfire.com/games/teraon

it went from 500/700 hrs played a day to 2000 on the 13th.

Yeah it hasn't even gone F2P yet but lots of people are taking advantage of founders.

TERA rose to top 3 for Role playing games on Amazon and has been there for like a week, underneath GW2 and Darksouls but ahead of TSW. Even though TERA rose back up to $19.99 from $5.99 not too long ago.

I still don't get your point.  wtf is freemium? Why do you care if the game does better or not?  Are you invested?  Its just a game.  You either like it and will try it, or perhaps you played it hate it.

But I dont think you have enough solid evidence to back up that it was a bad business decision.  (Nor that anyone cares).

If you dont care, why are you replying? You clearly havent been reading what I am posting because I talked about what freemium is in my first post and you seem to like contradicting yourself by first asking me why I care if it does better or not and then following it up by making it appear as if I may have played the game and hated it...

As for there being evidence or not to back it up, Nexon is the second largest video game maker on the planet with a profit of over 1 BILLION dollars for 2 straight YEARS...more than half from their FREE GAMES. that means they made over 500 MILLION dollars in PROFITS from them.

500 million is more than FUNCOM or TURBINE makes...total.

Atlantica Online made almost 300 million in 2011...thats more than most of the best subscription based games make.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• ArduArdu Member CommonPosts: 55

TERA is an awesome game, I enjoy the graphics and the intese action battle system. TERA's Free to Play model is one of the best out of any other MMO.

• JuaksJuaks Member UncommonPosts: 271

Very good F2P model. On par with Aion and L2.

Tera is a solid title with great gfx engine and tight controls. Looks beautiful and feels right.

Couldnt care less for the questing. Yeah its linear and boring but perfect to just hop in and kill stuff without thinking much. Its a bit grindy but far less than other titles like Aion or L2. In fact the leveling is pretty fast so thats ok.

I always liked this title because of gfx, combat and art style but couldnt justify a monthly fee. Now I am back and having a blast. Its a beautiful and fun game to play.

If you dont care, why are you replying? You clearly havent been reading what I am posting because I talked about what freemium is in my first post and you seem to like contradicting yourself by first asking me why I care if it does better or not and then following it up by making it appear as if I may have played the game and hated it...

As for there being evidence or not to back it up, Nexon is the second largest video game maker on the planet with a profit of over 1 BILLION dollars for 2 straight YEARS...more than half from their FREE GAMES. that means they made over 500 MILLION dollars in PROFITS from them.

500 million is more than FUNCOM or TURBINE makes...total.

Atlantica Online made almost 300 million in 2011...thats more than most of the best subscription based games make.

is LOTR popular in Asia? I don't think so? Would secret world make money in china where its illegal to show dead body parts?

how much of nexon's profits come from The EU and NA?  Not a whole lot I am guessing.  What you have with nexon is one if the biggest populations + a closed gaming market where western games don't get published.

nexon doesn't make ftp games either they are P2W games

• plescureplescure Member UncommonPosts: 397
    ive just gone back into this game and i love everything about it except the quests! they are so generic and unimaginitive. however i have found if i combine questing with watching tv it works out well :)

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I'll never understand why some of you hate on this game so much...it's like you have nothing better to do than wait for any news on tera to get posted then jump in with the dumbest reason you can think of for why whatever they're doing is bad.

If they gave cookies to starving orphans you'd probably bitch about all the cavities they just caused.

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

Everyone who has ever complained about a F2P model "Forcing" them to spend and that they would "spend more if they were made to want to rather than need to" now has a chance to put their money where their mouths are and show the other publishers that THIS is the model to follow.

It will be interesting to see how many people who derided other F2P models actually do so..... 

I still say Final Fantasy ARR is the most important MMO this year in terms of a potential paradigm shift, but this comes a close second.  I will be watching and supporting both, not just because of my hopes for the games, but my hopes of the message they could both send.

is LOTR popular in Asia? I don't think so? Would secret world make money in china where its illegal to show dead body parts?

how much of nexon's profits come from The EU and NA?  Not a whole lot I am guessing.  What you have with nexon is one if the biggest populations + a closed gaming market where western games don't get published.

nexon doesn't make ftp games either they are P2W games

Tera IS AN ASIAN GAME...it was released there around YEAR before in the west... As for Nexon's profits, they were making enough money outside Asia that they opened up offices in both America AND Europe and hired people to not just TRANSLATE but also create content for the SAME GAMES so their games would have content made for ALL areas, it is something all the big F2P game makers are doing with their massive profits, even Perfect World did it. This was done YEARS ago. The rest that you said is speculated opinion that was formed to fit what you want to believe...proof? World of Warcraft, a western made game with almost all western themes is played by MILLIONS in Asia, and if you formed that opinion on F2P being the top dog in Asia, Runes of Magic is just ONE European made game that has MILLIONS of players spending tons of money on the game.

Its only in America that F2P is somewhat new, with a small amount that knows what it actually is...its been around since the late 90s just about everywhere else, in fact, Nexon's first big game was F2P back then, in Europe the Korean made Ragnarok Online back in 2002/3 was their first taste of F2P which got companies like Frogstar into it. Free 2 play is far less limited to regions as you think...and im not even going to waste my time with that P2W comment, highly abused and rarely applies.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

They may be closer to F2P than other Freemium games but it is STILL FREEMIUM.

FREE-MIUM = FREE with PREMIUM option

It creates a player class system where free players are second class citizens, or in this case, third class citizens.

I expect things like this from companies like Sony, EA, Funcom...not from a company like EnMasse/BlueHole which is filled with people that have made ACTUAL F2P games targetting the F2P player market.

Freemium does not target the much larger F2P playerbase, it targets subscription players looking for something new, that mostly already passed on the game because it wasnt to their liking...and no freemium game in history ever tricked enough people into a freemium account to regain its former glory...not one, because it doesnt work, the game wasnt good enough to either gain a large playerbase or retain it in the first place.

Go free where the real money is or just let the game die already because its just being prolonged...may as well make the big bucks like Nexon does with their FREE games that are of a much lower quality.

So let me make sure I understand where you are coming from. You're complaining that a mmo that use to have a sub model + box cost is going to a model where they no long charge for the box or require a monthly fee because they are calling it F2P rather than freemium? If so you must understand that every sub based mmo that has ever made the switch to F2P (or freemium since you're so anal about it) has had an option to continue paying a sub for players that would like to do so. If they can afford to do so or just want to do it because they would like to continue to support the game that way, so be it. Why on earth would you even entertain the thought that this setup creates animosity between the two types of players? Is it because of some bad experience you may have had in one of the earlier sub to freemium switch overs when the idea was still fairly new?

If so I have to point out to you that those type of situations and arrogant stances where subbers think they are better than (and better off) free players has long been diminishing as time moves on. At least here I've noticed that we are at the stage in mmo development that players would be quite surprised if a current mmo that has been released as sub based model doesn't have a F2P plan in place just in case the sub model doesn't meet expectations. So I have to disagree with your archaic assessment of the attitudes you think still permeate, at least with a given mmo's player base over this issue.

On the topic of the F2P model at hand, EME has seen to it that the difference between a free player, a former player and a current player now will be pretty much the same after the switch. Only thing will be that subbers will get more added to what we all have access to now. Unlike other converters, nothing is stripped away that you currently enjoy now.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    I think its a nice move and It was nice of them to reactivate my account in the mean time but... combat still feels so clunky and awkward. If they can fix the combat I'd be glad to give it a 3rd look but it seems to be the same old game just for free. Though its definitely worth checking it out and deciding for yourself. 
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Looking foward to the FTP.