Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: Nighttime Arrives in Game

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Some nice new screenshots have shown up on the Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn site. Prior to the latest update to the alpha client, fans had only seen the daylight hours. The new screenshots show off the night, spotlighting the passage of time in game.

As many of you may recall from the Alpha version walkthroughs released last month, we had yet to introduce the passing of time, so all the footage you saw took place in the day.

Our programmers, however, have been busy working behind the scenes, readying the realm for nightfall...and here’s an exclusive first look!

Read the blog post and check out the rest of the screens on the Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Looks fantastic!  Can't wait for beta

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    uhm there wasnt 2 moons? 1 big and 1 smaller?
  • GurpslordGurpslord Member Posts: 350

yeah, but didn't the big one turn out to be bahamut inside who f'd up everthing?

• ibn_Cartwellibn_Cartwell Member Posts: 47
    Hey a proper feature from 1999! Atleast that got one thing right.
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    I wonder if this and a few recent "What I wish an MMO had is Darkness / Nighttime" threads are related...
  • UnshraUnshra Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Skuall
    uhm there wasnt 2 moons? 1 big and 1 smaller?

Indeed, the smaller moon called Dalamud turned out to be Bahamut's prison that was orbiting Hydaelyn, and Dalamud was destoried when Bahamut broke free. So it took the scarfice of a whole moon for FFXIV to be reborn.

Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    i like how the moon has different phases this could mean the game has seasons.
  • ZuvielifyZuvielify Member Posts: 168
    Originally posted by Istavaan

Not to be a troll, but moon phases don't actually cause seasons. The tilt of the planet does. 

However, I'll assume you mean that if they had enough attention-to-detail to add moon phases, that maybe they also had enough attention to add seasons. That would be pretty cool, and I don't know of any MMOs that do that. Anyone know of one?

P.S. The pessimist in me says there will not be seasons. Will there even be weather?

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Zuvielify

Not to be a troll, but moon phases don't actually cause seasons. The tilt of the planet does. 

However, I'll assume you mean that if they had enough attention-to-detail to add moon phases, that maybe they also had enough attention to add seasons. That would be pretty cool, and I don't know of any MMOs that do that. Anyone know of one?

P.S. The pessimist in me says there will not be seasons. Will there even be weather?

I think Everquest 2 used to have seasons, where you would get more rainfall. I think they removed that now though, I haven't seen it rain in the Commonlands for a few years now.

• nordyanordya Member Posts: 82
    There was nighttime and weather in 1.0, however if I remember right, the nigh time in 1.0 was brght and people was asking for it to be darker with undead roaming, so the blog is just to show the darker skies they will have now.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I like the idea of areas being more dangerous and different kinds of mobs being more common/spawning faster etc. in day/night cycles.

Love the idea of seasons too.

Suprised no MMO has really put forth the effort to do it right.

• ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227
    I can't wait for this game, but it's getting to the point that I say to myself, "whoopty-fucking-doo" every time they show something new, and by new I mean not new at all. SE, stop showing me all the boring shit that makes your game comparable with modern MMOs and show me what makes it different instead.
  • Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Originally posted by ezpz77
    I can't wait for this game, but it's getting to the point that I say to myself, "whoopty-fucking-doo" every time they show something new, and by new I mean not new at all. SE, stop showing me all the boring shit that makes your game comparable with modern MMOs and show me what makes it different instead.

There is plenty of information about ARR if you can be bothered to research it for yourself.

• ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227
    Originally posted by Cod_Eye

There is plenty of information about ARR if you can be bothered to research it for yourself.

I'm strictly talking about the most recent media they've been releasing. It's all so damn boring. 

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Originally posted by Cod_Eye

I'm strictly talking about the most recent media they've been releasing. It's all so damn boring. 

Guess you will have to wait for open Beta, Nothing is finalised yet, probably why you havnt seen much.  There was a ton of feedback from Alpha, and I can only assume they are currently making changes.  They are bringing in a few FFXI elements to ARR if that helps you.

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352
    Originally posted by Zuvielify

FFXI, Weather in all regions is changing by season. Days have elemental properties and moon phases influence many things like crafting and drop rates. Weather plays a big role in spellcasting, some items, Summons even item drops and NM pops.

FFXI Weather and Seasons

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    Looks fantastic!  Can't wait for beta

Same here. :-) Except can not wait for release. Will never go again in beta ... all pleasure later playing polished game is lost. But this also to you beta players so ... play beta. :-))

• SwiftrevoirSwiftrevoir Member UncommonPosts: 158
    I really hope this is the successor to Final Fantasy XI I've been waiting years for.  So far it looks good and I will be patient as it develops.
  • thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by BadSpock

I like the idea of areas being more dangerous and different kinds of mobs being more common/spawning faster etc. in day/night cycles.

Love the idea of seasons too.

Suprised no MMO has really put forth the effort to do it right.

FFXI already had day/night cycles done correctly, and a crude "season" cycle also in place.     

• RagnaBahamutRagnaBahamut Member UncommonPosts: 11
    that before Dalamud Red Moon
    or can you look inform wiki more about Dalamud http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Dalamud

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    I would not say no other MMORPG put an effort for that aspect afterall wasn't Kithicor very dangerous at night in Everquest.
    Chamber of Chains
  • Kenshin_HimuraKenshin_Himura Member Posts: 75
    []Beta[]  []can I have it?[]  []yes, please[]