Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: New Blog Uncovers the Mystery of Encounter Tuning

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The latest developer blog on the World of Warcraft community site gives players a fascinating look at how the team in charge of raids fine tunes the encounters once they are on live servers. It's a great behind the scenes look.

Our players are ingenious and adept at coming up with clever solutions to the challenges posed by our raid encounters. While we have learned from past experience to an extent (Rule #14 of encounter design: If it’s possible to kite adds instead of killing them, someone will kite them instead of killing them), we are still unable to always anticipate the lengths to which our players will go to overcome a difficult encounter. There’s nothing inherently wrong with that, and often one of the hallmarks of a great encounter is that it is open to multiple approaches, depending on the strengths and weaknesses of an individual raid group. I can think of three distinct approaches that we saw to handle the Molten Elementals summoned by Heroic Ragnaros, for example, and I’m sure there are more out there.

Read the full post on the World of Warcraft site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    I would love to be in one of those raid group that more or less tell everyone else how to do the fight with guides and video's, the hours/weeks they must put in so every one else can stroll in struggle for a few evenings then say its to easy is crazy.
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by expresso
    I would love to be in one of those raid group that more or less tell everyone else how to do the fight with guides and video's, the hours/weeks they must put in so every one else can stroll in struggle for a few evenings then say its to easy is crazy.

I agree, that would make raiding fun again. These days raiding is as simple as watching a youtube video and staying out of red crap.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• DragohrDragohr Member Posts: 49
    Stop watching said youtube videos and get together a group who will try it out for themselves.. The means are there, you arent using them and whining about you ruining it yourself
    Originally posted by Dragohr
    Stop watching said youtube videos and get together a group who will try it out for themselves.. The means are there, you arent using them and whining about you ruining it yourself

Unfortunatly we dont live in happy rainbow land, if there is an easier way it will always be taken (eventually) , its the human condition, we're all guitly of that.

Yea because people love carrying people who don't know the encounters to raids these days. Oh wait, you are ridiculed and left behind if you don't. That's right. I don't know hardly any guilds willing to do this in any of the games I play. Either know the content or get lost is the general attitude of most MMO players.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

One of my fondest WoW memories was grabbing a couple guildies and heading into Ulduar completely blind. We had a blast with mounted combat and actually managed to get Flame Leviathan down to 33% with just the four of us being clever and paying attention. Great fun.

Originally posted by Jaedor

One of my fondest WoW memories was grabbing a couple guildies and heading into Ulduar completely blind. We had a blast with mounted combat and actually managed to get Flame Leviathan down to 33% with just the four of us being clever and paying attention. Great fun.

Ulduar release was one of the most fun experiences for me as well, our guild was a small guild but we lead 10 man progression on the server for about a month in Ulduar going blind into most of the fights. That was really fun, of course then the guildleader quit etc etc. But everything after Ulduar fell apart anyway :)

Thanks for reminding me of those times heh.

I thought firelands has been the best raid in a long while (not raided mists) - 10 man outfit took some 8-10 weeks to progress to the point were we could get to Raggy in two evenings - sadly we were at that familair 1-3% wipe phase most groups have to go through for a few raid nights - the raid nuff came in and we downed him first go, bitter sweet I guess you could call it.

I could not imagine how far we would NOT have got with out guides and video's.

Originally posted by Aeonblades

Yea because people love carrying people who don't know the encounters to raids these days. Oh wait, you are ridiculed and left behind if you don't. That's right. I don't know hardly any guilds willing to do this in any of the games I play. Either know the content or get lost is the general attitude of most MMO players.

So you are truly part of the generation that only looks at the things handed to you on a silver-platter. I wonder why you are whining about all this then.

So you are truly part of the generation that only looks at the things handed to you on a silver-platter. I wonder why you are whining about all this then.

I don't know what to tell you, It's like you didn't even read my post. I don't want anything handed to me, and hate the fact that most things are in MMO's now. I enjoy progression and if it takes 2 months to get 1 piece of gear thats fine for me. Progression just hasn't been fun since the "link achieve" generation of gamers.

I don't know what to tell you, It's like you didn't even read my post. I don't want anything handed to me, and hate the fact that most things are in MMO's now. I enjoy progression and if it takes 2 months to get 1 piece of gear thats fine for me. Progression just hasn't been fun since the "link achieve" generation of gamers.

There are multiple guilds on my server who does "blind runs". Come join us at Ravenholdt-EU. I know most of the RP-servers have bigger guilds who locks themselves at raid-appropriate levels and blind run them for newer players. Stop pretending you made an effort finding like-minded people, cause even the official forums are flooded with them.

There are multiple guilds on my server who does "blind runs". Come join us at Ravenholdt-EU. I know most of the RP-servers have bigger guilds who locks themselves at raid-appropriate levels and blind run them for newer players. Stop pretending you made an effort finding like-minded people, cause even the official forums are flooded with them.

Tell you what, If I give WoW another shot soon (probably will, getting pretty bored of my current games), I'll PM you. I like you, despite our disagreement, and I can see your point. I have found an EQ2 guild like that before, but it fell apart before the ball ever got rolling.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Raiders are generally douchebags, i've no time for douchebags when im gaming.
  • TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

I started raiding again 1.5 months ago for the first time in 4 years.  I've been in two guilds and both of them walked me through all the encounters and gave constructive feedback anytime I made a mistake.  Not everybody is an elitist jerk.