Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone feel GW2 neglected alot for the sake of polish and quality?

azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

What GW2 does is done with a high degree of polish and fluidness that I doubt anyone can argue against.  With that being said, A big part of me feels alot of the game was overlooked for the sake of polishing what does exist.  Things like:

• Home Instance
  • Dungeon and loot drops
  • Money making & economy seperated from the Trading Post
  • Progression post level 30
  • Role Playing aspects
  • Boss and Champion features
  • Waypoint cost
  • Other stuff to come
I'm really starting to see the error in Anets ways when it comes to content needed to keep the game running for all, I do not doubt GW2 will eventually become an amazing game but for right now theres alot missing that truely make it feel like a solid MMO. 

My 2 biggest complaints stem from the inoridinate amount of grinding, ok...let me rephrase that....ok its fine if you want me to grind for 250 tier 6 crafting mats to make 1 item.  I would be fine with that, if 2 things occured:  The drop rate for those mats were higher then the .01% to drop and there was no anit-botting code in place that made 20-30 mins after begining my grind the loot drys up and now I got to find more mobs in a new zone that drops the mat.  I dont mid grinding but I do mind having such a low perecentage chance to aquire base materials.

AND SECONDLY

Why is it so hard to make money in the game without having an economic background or a NYSE Stockmarket analytical mind.  I do not understand Market principles needed to turn wealth into wealth.  I want to hunt and get lucky with drops to sell.  I want to run a dungeon without having to spend half my income from that dungeon in repair costs and travel costs.

The game is great in what it does but it is sorely lacking in other things and those lacking features are slowly draining my will to play.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Comments

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    That poor Alot.
  • Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    This is exactly why they are now focusing on strenghtening their world, without adding new zones in the next 6 months. They explained it all in their recent blog post, and it seems they are aware of that. I hope that most of your concerns get adressed, because I share some with you.
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Still the best damned game out there, so the fact that their working on making it even better is beyond encouraging. 

This is not to be mistaken for fully agreeing with the OP... I don't on all issues. No game is perfect out of the chute. It's the actions and direction they take in that first year that can make or break a game.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973
    Originally posted by azzamasin

AND SECONDLY

Why is it so hard to make money in the game without having an economic background or a NYSE Stockmarket analytical mind.  I do not understand Market principles needed to turn wealth into wealth.  I want to hunt and get lucky with drops to sell.  I want to run a dungeon without having to spend half my income from that dungeon in repair costs and travel costs.

I fell like the descision to polish what is there, as opposed to releasing crap is almost always a good one.

Also, economic background or not, game economies are simple and straight forward:

• Time = Money
    • If you feel like you don't have enough wealth in game, spend more time to gather that wealth
    • If you feel like your time is not getting you as much gold as it should, then look at the things that other people are buying and selling.
    • If the economy frustrates you, pay it no mind (this is what I do, although I don't find game economies frustrating, just a bit tedious).  It isn't like you are going to be gimped without that super awesome legendary skin.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• shingoukiehshingoukieh Member UncommonPosts: 126
    IMO its too zone based...and everything is easy..and u mentioned grinding lol...I can get full exotics in a week just casually doing dungeons..easiest mmorpg I ever played
  • shingoukiehshingoukieh Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Hard to make money in game...really????? Super easy...if u run 1 dungeon u get around 1-3 gold depending on drops..u must be below level 80.
  • PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

I only have 500 hours into the game and I have all the best gear and a Legendary.

This game is IN NO WAY A GRIND.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Originally posted by Volkon

Still the best damned game out there, so the fact that their working on making it even better is beyond encouraging. 

This is not to be mistaken for fully agreeing with the OP... I don't on all issues. No game is perfect out of the chute. It's the actions and direction they take in that first year that can make or break a game.

In your opinion

Originally posted by shingoukieh
    IMO its too zone based...and everything is easy..and u mentioned grinding lol...I can get full exotics in a week just casually doing dungeons..easiest mmorpg I ever played

Part of the probelm is its to easy.

Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC

I only have 500 hours into the game and I have all the best gear and a Legendary.

Not sure if you are being sarastic, but assuming you are not, then supply proof of your feat, as to grind, its the most grindy game I have ever come across. 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Someone a few weeks ago said it best. "One gamers frustration is anothers game." In pursuit of streamlining frustration out of the game a lot of the game was lost. This is not just GW2, but WoW and Swtor aswell, TESO may (to early to tell)be running down the same road.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Someone a few weeks ago said it best. "One gamers frustration is anothers game." In pursuit of streamlining frustration out of the game a lot of the game was lost. This is not just GW2, but WoW and Swtor aswell, TESO may (to early to tell)be running down the same road.

So what you are saying, is that griefers not being catered to in GW2 makes GW2 less appealing to you.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Not sure if you are being sarastic, but assuming you are not, then supply proof of your feat, as to grind, its the most grindy game I have ever come across. 

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/5512/gw22013011912382297.png

Owned... once again. THIS GAME IS NOT A GRIND. Learn2Play

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

lol @ owned, but anyway grats to you. No I don't want to play anymore, its a horrible grindy game, I leave the whales to play.

Hang on you posted pics back on the 5th Nov 2012 of you getting the legendry, 2 months after the release, not saying that is impossible, though I'm curious on how much money you spent on gems to avoid the grind.

Originally posted by Cod_Eye

lol @ owned, but anyway grats to you. No I don't want to play anymore, its a horrible grindy game, I leave the whales to play.

The auction house is exactly like the stock market. If you have 1/3 of a brain (not even 1/2 just 1/3), then you can make a lot of money really fast taking away any "grind" you seem to cry about.

500 Badges took me 4 days

1.4 million Karma took me about a week. <----- longest grind I've had in the game (1 week at about 4 hours a day)

Use that lump three feet above your ass and make yourself some gold in Guild Wars 2.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

I think the issue comes in the quite delussional belief that people would be content and continuously play without having something to work 'towards'. This is where I feel it stems the biggest issue one it comes to the game and why a good majority of those who bought it for the perk of B2P end up not even staying for the full first month. Gameplay alone can't keep us hooked, I mean hell look at Tera, its combat system is superior to GW2 (sorry, you know it is) but it lost so many due to the fact it was lack luster in most other areas. People WANT to work towards something and GW2 just has no progression to give that feeling. A lot of it I feel was added in terms of grind at the end to try and keep people 'hooked' which only makes that grind that much more apparent.

I feel their design philosophy is the biggest culprit. As much as people cry that they hate grind and working for stuff, they also NEED it to feel compelled to stay in a game. Its about balancing it in just the right way and GW2 just noticed not having it last second wouldn't work and had to fling it together which unfortunately in the way its done hapazardly it makes it very evident its all grind.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by eyelolled

So what you are saying, is that griefers not being catered to in GW2 makes GW2 less appealing to you.

Where did he mention griefers?

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

The auction house is exactly like the stock market. If you have 1/3 of a brain (not even 1/2 just 1/3), then you can make a lot of money really fast taking away any "grind" you seem to cry about.

1.4 million Karma took me about a week. <----- longest grind I've had in the game (1 week at about 4 hours a day)

Use that lump three feet above your ass and make yourself some gold in Guild Wars 2.

Contrary to your Ego, there are alot of people who do not understand market principles beyond buy low sell high.  However its very easy to get lost in the entire process and unless I know xactly what to look for its hard to make money.  It's also difficult to turn 1-5% profit or look at such a miniscule low nuimber and see how to formulate or carry that out.

Plus heres a big thing......SOME UF US DONT FRICKKKEN CARE TO PLAY THE MARKET.  I want to play the goddamn game.  I want to hunt and see mobs drop gold.  But doing old fashion farming yields less then 1 gold an hour.  Now that isnt so bad, but when you consider it costs 100+ gold to buy certain items I may want then that means it will take me a minimum of a few months to aquire that much gold playing the way I WANT!

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I found it too polished and gamey yeah.
  • IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    The no faction pvp was a big turn off for me, i like contrasting factions in the mmo i choose to play. It's a great game but i feel the pvp is a bit souless.
    Originally posted by RefMinor

"One gamers frustration is anothers game"  - Does that not imply that one person's game is the frustration of another gamer?

then he goes on to say that "in pursuit of streamlining frustration out of the game a lot of the game was lost" implying that because of the things that GW2 has done with thier game design to eliminate players being frustrated by others, the game isn't appealing to him.

I really don't know why I had to explain that.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by azzamasin

Contrary to your Ego, there are alot of people who do not understand market principles beyond buy low sell high.  However its very easy to get lost in the entire process and unless I know xactly what to look for its hard to make money.  It's also difficult to turn 1-5% profit or look at such a miniscule low nuimber and see how to formulate or carry that out.

Plus heres a big thing......SOME UF US DONT FRICKKKEN CARE TO PLAY THE MARKET.  I want to play the goddamn game.  I want to hunt and see mobs drop gold.  But doing old fashion farming yields less then 1 gold an hour.  Now that isnt so bad, but when you consider it costs 100+ gold to buy certain items I may want then that means it will take me a minimum of a few months to aquire that much gold playing the way I WANT!

With full sarcasm intended..

Awwww I feel so sorry for you. *sadface*

Truth is you are playing the way you want. Its just not the best way to play to make gold. If its to hard to think then go buy some gems and sell them for gold. There is more than one way to make gold in the game.

Or is what youre really asking for is to have something handed to you for a minimal amount of work?

Just like in real life, the people who tend to be smart are usally the most successful. The game isnt at fault or "broken", its something else.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

"One gamers frustration is anothers game"  - Does that not imply that one person's game is the frustration of another gamer?

then he goes on to say that "in pursuit of streamlining frustration out of the game a lot of the game was lost" implying that because of the things that GW2 has done with thier game design to eliminate players being frustrated by others, the game isn't appealing to him.

Not at all, someone might be frustrated with a slow travel system and want teleports, bringing in teleports would ruin the guy who made money moving goods to where they were needed. Streamlining frustration out of the game for one player means another players game is lost.

i really don't know why I had to explain that.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Ok, so let me get this straight: a company is STRENGTHENING the current game before blasting people with new features.  The OP calls this neglect, when normally when new features are added people complain and say, "Why don't you fix xyz first?!?!?"  I say what Anet is doing is a good thing.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868

I can't believe someone in this thread thinks that 500 hours to get all the items you desire including a legendary is not much time. Does no one have a job anymore? Most people would hit 500 hours in maybe 5 months..

And this is in a game with no sub.

Not at all, someone might be frustrated with a slow travel system and want teleports, bringing in teleports would ruin the guy who made money moving goods to where they were needed. Streamlining frustration out of the game for one player means another players game is lost.

I think you are confusing what he said with the saying "one mans garbage is another man's goldmine" which is a different saying completely.  You can tell because they have different words.

NOW I understand why I had to explain that. 

I think you are confusing what he said with the saying "one mans garbage is another man's goldmine" which is a different saying completely.  You can tell because they have different words.

NOW I understand why I had to explain that. 

No, I think I understood bcbully perfectly, you are the one who used the garbage quote, not him.