Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I like rift, but it has a few major problems.

SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416

I been playing rift for a while now and for the most part I like it, but there are a few major issues I find with the game.. Endgame, is nearly non-existant, yes you can gear up for raids, but other than doing your dailies, or farming rep there is nothing else at all for lv 60's to do in rift yet.

The crafting also needs some work especally augments and runcrafting, both take far to many mats/salvaged/runebroken items to make 1 consumable.

The crafting isin't as major as the lack of stuff for 60's to do, I don't count rehashed dungeons with harder mobs content, nor do I call the dailies we been doing since level 50 content, when at 60. I am honestly not the only one who feels this way either.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

Comments

• ScaryMonkScaryMonk Member Posts: 97

I found the same problem at 50, I have no interest in grinding daillies or gear.   And rerolling a character meant trudging my way through the same content and quest lines which didn't appeal either.  

I stopped playing two or three months after launch and recently bought the expansion hoping I would have fresh impetus to jump back in; unfortunately I downloaded it again, re-entered the world and had such an overwhelming sense of -meh- that I haven't even seen any of the new content.  

• NoizMchnNoizMchn Member UncommonPosts: 29
    It sounds like you are basically saying you don't like what Rift currently has to offer.  That's all good, maybe time to find another game and come back in a couple of months to see if anything has changed. 
  • aWRAYaWRAY Member Posts: 84

Yeah, nothing innovative when it comes to PvE endgame. Love the game though.

I quit a few months back and I just have one question; Did they ever follow through with the Normalization of PvP?

• AstraeisAstraeis Member UncommonPosts: 378
    Originally posted by NoizMchn
    It sounds like you are basically saying you don't like what Rift currently has to offer.  That's all good, maybe time to find another game and come back in a couple of months to see if anything has changed. 

I have been playing and revisiting Rift since a year before launch till now hoping the dev team would change the direction of the game. From past experience I can predict it will not happen. As a matter of fact the Stom Legion expansion shows clear signs of the Rift team being understaffed, and the remaining devs being overloaded. That was before the recent reduction of the size of the dev team.

It takes one to know one.

• jedensuscgjedensuscg Member Posts: 209

The problem is not so much rift but the players. 

Players these days have turned from playing something for fun, to playing for advancement.  When you hit 60, you basically stop advancing with the exceptions of grinding gear.  Now at one time, trying to get to progressivly harder raids and bosses would have been fun for the majority of MMO players, but back then the majority of MMO players was still a pretty small overall population.

Now, the population is larger, mainly due to easier accessable games that reward with many short term advancements but really dont promote long term commitment.  So now you have players who would never survive an old-school MMO dictating what new MMO's should be.

Not really a problem in its own, but then you hit level cap.  You can only do so much end-game with a level cap, and eventually it will get boring for those players that NEED to feel immediate advancement all the time or they are not having fun.

Look at FPS games.  It used to be people loved the original counter strike, why? it was a fun fast paced shooter.  Now days, if a game with stellar top notch graphics and shooter mechanics released today, yet had the same overall mechanics of counter strike, where there was no progression or advancement of your character, then it would fail.  Because games like BF and CoD franchise has made it standard that its not about the fun of the actual gameplay, its about the progression and unlocks.

You see, there used to be a time when childeren had imaginations, you could have fun off the activity, not the rewards associated with it, and in general people were just less entitled.  If you do not like to grind the raids, or rifts, or PvP, or repuation, then MMO's are really not  your type of game, Sure you can enjoy the level up, even though most people that complain about boring end-game are the same ones that tend to blow throw the levels as fast as possible. but once you hit end game, you will invariably be dissapointed, because unless a company starts to dump tons of money and releases new levels, new skills and more progression every month or so, nothign will change.  Releasing new raids or instances will not work, because its basically a catch 22. 

If you release new raids aand content that only requires gear you already have, the players who need progression will feel slighted, because they need to feel more powerful, rather then just enjoy the new fights and mechanics and places to explore, but of course, those same people are now going to complain about the new gear grind.  Can't win.  

There is not really much you can do in an MMO at end game that will appeal to anyone but actual MMO lovers, those onces that like to log in and grind gear and rep, perfect raids, explore every inch of the map, etc.

• SnakexSnakex Member UncommonPosts: 317
    Originally posted by jedensuscg

Not really a problem in its own, but then you hit level cap.  You can only do so much end-game with a level cap, and eventually it will get boring for those players that NEED to feel immediate advancement all the time or they are not having fun.

You see, there used to be a time when childeren had imaginations, you could have fun off the activity, not the rewards associated with it, and in general people were just less entitled.  If you do not like to grind the raids, or rifts, or PvP, or repuation, then MMO's are really not  your type of game, Sure you can enjoy the level up, even though most people that complain about boring end-game are the same ones that tend to blow throw the levels as fast as possible. but once you hit end game, you will invariably be dissapointed, because unless a company starts to dump tons of money and releases new levels, new skills and more progression every month or so, nothign will change.  Releasing new raids or instances will not work, because its basically a catch 22. 

There is not really much you can do in an MMO at end game that will appeal to anyone but actual MMO lovers

My friend, Words of Wisdom. I respect your views and stand by them.

• AstraeisAstraeis Member UncommonPosts: 378

The problem is not so much rift but the players.

I disagree. The problem is Rift. The leveling experience distracts from the problems the game has to some extend, but when the end game starts it becomes clear that the combat is way to static and boring. Dungeons are too small and linear and only serve as a vehicle to do some boss fights, making every dungeon run virtually identical and repetitive. Most activities you can do in the open world are copy and paste copies of each other, etc., etc.

It has nothing to do with players not liking end game or mmo's in itself. Rift is pretty looking, polished game, lacking originality and depth, that is fun to play for some time, but gets boring rather sooner than later. Especially for mmo lovers who have seen many games in which end game grind is actually fun to do to some extend, I might add.

It takes one to know one.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    Originally posted by Siveria

I been playing rift for a while now and for the most part I like it, but there are a few major issues I find with the game.. Endgame, is nearly non-existant, yes you can gear up for raids, but other than doing your dailies, or farming rep there is nothing else at all for lv 60's to do in rift yet.

The crafting also needs some work especally augments and runcrafting, both take far to many mats/salvaged/runebroken items to make 1 consumable.

The crafting isin't as major as the lack of stuff for 60's to do, I don't count rehashed dungeons with harder mobs content, nor do I call the dailies we been doing since level 50 content, when at 60. I am honestly not the only one who feels this way either.

You just described every themepark MMO out there

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Everyone knows this is the only source of fun. Its why GW2 isnt fun, there is no new gear to grind.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Biggest problem with rift for me - its a raiders first game like wow. if Youre not a raider youre a 2nd class citizen.
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Biggest problem with rift for me - its a raiders first game like wow. if Youre not a raider youre a 2nd class citizen.

As a decent fan of Rift, this comment hits the nail on the head, has been my problem with this game since release. I enjoy almost every other aspect of the game, but this kind of attitude really ruins games. I want dynamic 5 man content that is actually difficult, requires skill, crowd control, etc. not 20 people in a raid flailing epeens around on damage meters.

The zone events, environment, hunt rifts, onslaughts, etc are all outstanding, but until a lot of games drop the "People who raid are better than everyone else" mentality, it's going to cost them money.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by Starpower

So you'd say that Rift offers the same amount of endgame as WoW has? Or Eq2?

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    Originally posted by Volgore
    Originally posted by Starpower

So you'd say that Rift offers the same amount of endgame as WoW has? Or Eq2?

That's not what I took from the OP but maybe my reading comprehention needs a little work.

What I read was, outside raids there isn't much to do than to grind dailys and gear up for raids.

What I didn't read was, if there is as much endgame as WoW. A game that has been out nearly 10 years. If that was his argument then it would have been a completely retarded one. Why? because he would be comparing a game that has been out since 2004. Of course it would have more endgame. That's why my response is aimed at something else.

No what I took from it was, the complaint that at max level all you do is grind dailys, gear up for raids, farm rep or max a lackluster crafting profession or do heroics. My response to that is... welcome to themeparks. If you find a title that this doesn't occur then stick with it. It's exception and not the rule

To put it bluntly. It's a complaint you can copy paste to other MMOs. Maybe that's why some people on forums call them clones?

As to players being second rate citizens compared to raiders. Again welcome to themeparks. If you find a game where this doesn't occur, see my previous point. Stick with it because again. It would be an exception and not the rule.

Do you want to know what the Irony of it all is?. If you take those things away then people will complain about those features missing and they will go back to whatever game they came from, that has those features.