Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] TERA: New F2P Model Combating the Stereotype

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Now that the proverbial "cat is out of the bag" about the North American version of TERA adding in a subscription free revenue model, we managed to catch up to Associate Producer Patrick Sun to talk more about the TERA Rising model and about incoming changes to the game. Check it out and then chat in the comments.

MMORPG: TERA continues to evolve in the MMO market. What is the state of the game like today for players?

Patrick Sun: We’ve all seen a lot of changes in the MMO market this past year, and with more free games than ever before, players have a wide selection of quality titles—all of them competing for players’ time. With our award-winning combat system and our upcoming fully-free model, TERA will definitely be a free game to put on your radar. 

Read more of Bill Murphy's TERA Rising: New F2P Model Combating the Stereotype.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Tried it in BETA but it didn't hook me enough to justify a monthly fee considering how little time I have to play these days. I have now downloaded again and will be playing this.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Love everything about the game except for the quest system...but thats a big one.

Joined - July 2004

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    I agree with RemyBurke. The ultra narrow linear questing has to change. I played in Beta but just thinking of going through the SAME exact quests again is making me cautious. Give us multiple starter areas.

• SlheyasSlheyas Member UncommonPosts: 83
    I never really had a problem with the quest system myself, except for the fact that there's only one path (though there are optional areas) it's pretty much standard MMO fare.

I leveled up a lot of characters doing only BAMs and Dungeons, essentially gaining enough levels to skip one or two areas at a time.

It's far from perfect, but the possibilities are there.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x

I agree with RemyBurke. The ultra narrow linear questing has to change. I played in Beta but just thinking of going through the SAME exact quests again is making me cautious. Give us multiple starter areas.

There are alternate areas here and there. Players just need to be a bit more proactive and look for them. Still, it is a standard quest "kill x" game.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • uller30uller30 Member UncommonPosts: 125
    It was pretty and I liked it. Just not enough to drop 15 a month. What I like now is that I can play and have a good time and it will be free. Hoping to see how F2p goes.
  • Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    I bought and played for about a month. The biggest draw for me was the Vindictus-like combat in a lobbyless world. After the first month I chose not to resub. It was more to do with the horrible launch day blues and horrid questing direction. Needless to say that Terra Rising's F2P model is one of the best I've seen and future sub based mmos need to take note of not taking away from what would have made your game attractive but adding to it to get players back aboard. And after experiencing some of the more resent conversion to F2P that include: SWTOR, TSW and Vanguard. Terra is heads and tails above.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• Darkfalz89Darkfalz89 Member UncommonPosts: 581
    It's about time, really looking forward to the change to f2p. It's always been a quality mmo, I just couldn't get over the extremely boring quest system and the fact pvp had no incentive nor did the political system. First read about the changes to ktera and everything as far as planned updates for ktera are being added for our version except the RvR keeps. Which I was most looking forward to, has anyone seen it mentioned?
  • LionShardLionShard Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Best free2play model yet.
  • MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632
    The pvp in this game is fantastic. I just couldnt get through the leveling grind, it was incredibly painful. Will they have any "heavy-duty" xp boosters in the F2P version. I would love to come back and level a lancer and take part in the 3v3 arenas.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238
    Their F2P model is good. Almost too good, in fact. They'd better be prepared to offer some awe-inspiring cosmetic items in the shop, otherwise nobody's going to be spending money due to poor incentives, lol.

And why the hell is post format not being preserved all of a sudden? Grrrr... (supposed to be a new paragraph here).
  • NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by Rednecksith

Their F2P model is good. Almost too good, in fact. They'd better be prepared to offer some awe-inspiring cosmetic items in the shop, otherwise nobody's going to be spending money due to poor incentives, lol.

And why the hell is post format not being preserved all of a sudden? Grrrr... (supposed to be a new paragraph here).

The website is acting funny. I click on posts in the Real-Time Forum Overview and I'm not taken to the newest post.

And wut...BBML showing now instead of my standard Enhanced Editor...
  • black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 258
    Looking good. Seems like they learned from crap f2p fiasco models and they are genuine in their desire to create a fair model that will make players want to spend money instead of frocing them. Worth a try.
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Originally posted by Ramonski7

I bought and played for about a month. The biggest draw for me was the Vindictus-like combat in a lobbyless world. After the first month I chose not to resub. It was more to do with the horrible launch day blues and horrid questing direction. Needless to say that Terra Rising's F2P model is one of the best I've seen and future sub based mmos need to take note of not taking away from what would have made your game attractive but adding to it to get players back aboard. And after experiencing some of the more resent conversion to F2P that include: SWTOR, TSW and Vanguard. Terra is heads and tails above.

I'd say that it's nothing like Vindictus. If people still insist that this is "True Action Combat" then it'd have to be near the bottom of the tiers of Action Combat. Personally I'd put it below Raiderz and Risk Your Life.

However I do agree that it does have a nice pricing model.
  • OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Companies keep making these linear games and even though many of you love the fast paced, story driven games, and quests on a stick style games.
    It does severely harm the mmorpgs of today. You lack in so much that your time is consumed by quests and nothing else. Once those quests dry up, you have nothing to do. Must have openess and some type of game mechanics to allow you to continue on while waiting for content. Should be no end-game in mmorpgs at all. Until that is fixed you will see many more games going f2p and miss out on subscribers.

F2P isnt the future its just a crutch to help a poor game make it a little longer. Granted some are decent and are worthy. Even many here said it wasnt worth the sub price for one reason or another. Exactly my point.
    Better games, larger worlds, longevity, and tools to make your own path is what is needed. Nothing wrong with making your own story, and its good for your creative side.

Even if you dont want to craft, pvp, explore, take part in social gatherings, or any other form of the mmorpg......its still nice to have those features to keep you busy while waiting for their content. Without those tools you are stuck with dailies, warzones, and raids to grind out for end-game content. I would rather grind on the way up than get to the top and the only option i have is to grind. End-game shouldnt be like that.
  • MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

Frankly Tera's revenue model is the least of its issues. A good F2P model isn't going to save the game any more than a sub-model kills good games. What's important is what they're going to do to fix the problems the game has and how they plan on making the game  attractive to more players.

I don't think a 3v3 arena and a new dungeon really address what many people seemed to fundamentally find wrong with the game, but I suppose we'll see.

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586
    Originally posted by Myria

... What's important is what they're going to do to fix the problems the game has...

...what many people seemed to fundamentally find wrong with the game...

Please elaborate on these topics.  The worst part of the game for me was the wall-of-text-poor-translating-ok-you-didn't-need-to-read-that-just-go-kill-shit-quests, and the griefers camping bridge out of noob city.

I practically despised my experience in the TERA free trial, but even I would consider giving it another go with their f2p model.  Just won't be rolling on a pvp server if I do.

• mikunimanmikuniman Member UncommonPosts: 375
    The FTP model looks great and hopefully sparks some interest in new players and brings back some vets. I've been subbed since start and will stay subbed as I still enjoy this game. I'm lookiing forward to FTP model as it will add extra options within the game to choose from.
  • Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by moosecatlol
    Originally posted by Ramonski7

I'd say that it's nothing like Vindictus. If people still insist that this is "True Action Combat" then it'd have to be near the bottom of the tiers of Action Combat. Personally I'd put it below Raiderz and Risk Your Life. However I do agree that it does have a nice pricing model.

Collision detection and target reticle combat is what I'm referring to. If a mob is getting ready to swing and I back up, it will miss. Same thing if someone is casting a spell. I also have the option of just blocking it. So in that sense it's closer to Vindictus than it is to EQ. And when you say "true" action combat I get a picture in my head of online fighting mmo hybrids like Raiderz, Vindictus, Dragon Nest, C9 and others like them. They are ok for their combat, but they all allow autolocks to make it easier so players can flip. jump, twist, spin, roll, bounce, tumble and handstand while they fight. Hence the reason I said Vindictus-like instead of just like Vindictus. It's free target combat without all the nonsense or autolocks.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311

this felt more of an ad reading than a article about an mmo :(

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • soltysplsoltyspl Member UncommonPosts: 58

Everything in this game, besides

- combat
    - visuals

is horribly broken or twisted, depending on PoV. They barely fixed a thing since release and in most cases since fgt1 (4 years). Many things were made worse (removed features, grindier, sometimes far grindier - for example currently KR instances drop roughly order of magnitue more gold than NA version - npc prices of the stuff that matters remained the same) compared to KR counterpart.

And they actually kept digging up their nonsensical hole of broken mechanics and ideas, layer after layer - from update to update.

Yes, the combat shines (in comparison to other games) - sure there are issues (never fixed, what for ?) but overall it's a gem. Visuals are great, maps are big and visually great (and devoid of players for obvious reasons). But that's all - and you can't build a successful game just on top of that. Why do you think - barely after 2 years of struggling in KR - it goes f2p ? Because pricing model was bad ? No, because BHS (and to lesser extent EME and GF) consits of blindfolded imbeciles uncapable of grasping why people still play this, despite all the shortcomings.

What's worse, the KR version is in the process of mercilessly dumbing down the game further. But then again - f2p "revolving door" customers are coming.

A shame really.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DStuff

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    words before f2p.....1 mothn later the game goes p2w....or annoying to play...
  • uncletomauncletoma Member UncommonPosts: 159
    Tried TERA during beta period: great game, but i stopped to play MMO so i'm a little upset about it on F2P. But, the real question: real F2P or freemium?
  • GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Thanks for bringing attention to this.

Tera is purely f2p, people who take the "premium" subscription only receive more daily entries to endgame dungeons, shorter dungeon cooldowns and more daily quests.

Basically this means if you are going to play a lot spending the 15$ a month is a good idea. If you are playing casually/semi-casual you don't need the subscription at all. Or if you play ALTS you don't even have time to do the extra dungeons/quests.

The CS items are still undisclosed but you get every bit of the content and upcoming updates without playing a dime.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

They may be closer to F2P than other Freemium games but it is STILL FREEMIUM.

FREE-MIUM = FREE with PREMIUM option

It creates a player class system where free players are second class citizens, or in this case, third class citizens.

I expect things like this from companies like Sony, EA, Funcom...not from a company like EnMasse/BlueHole which is filled with people that have made ACTUAL F2P games targetting the F2P player market.

Freemium does not target the much larger F2P playerbase, it targets subscription players looking for something new, that mostly already passed on the game because it wasnt to their liking...and no freemium game in history ever tricked enough people into a freemium account to regain its former glory...not one, because it doesnt work, the game wasnt good enough to either gain a large playerbase or retain it in the first place.

Go free where the real money is or just let the game die already because its just being prolonged...may as well make the big bucks like Nexon does with their FREE games that are of a much lower quality.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson