Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The goldfarmers have invaded

GormokGormok Member Posts: 379

Well it looks like the goldfarmers have arrived in AoW N/A. One of my biggest complaints against the game was the 2 currency system. I felt that having to buy unbound silver pretty much turned me off to the game, while the bound silver was pretty much useless. Someone else came into the thread defending this system, saying it was better for Snail to do it this way to help keep the goldsellers out. However this system isn't working, because they are here spamming chat with buy x amount of silver for x amount of usd. They even have the gall as to go as far as to say buy from them their prices are better than Snail's.

My point is that the two currency system was a bad idea it may work in China, however what works in China doesn't neccessarliy work for the rest of the world. What someone else stated in defense of this system was it prevented goldfarmers from selling the currency. This did not work and will not work because they are going to find away no matter what system is in place. I wish I could take solace in the fact that the game is open pvp, because the player base could deal with them on our own. However that is not the case do to the new player protection, which means they never have to join a school or get to level 5 internal. So killing them is off the table. Sorry for my little rant, just had to get that off my chest.

Comments

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by Gormok

I felt that having to buy unbound silver pretty much turned me off to the game...

Why do you have to buy unbound silver? Farm resources and sell them to other players, craft items and sell them to other players, do kidnappings, school patrols etc. All of these will give you unbound silver.

I made about 100 Liang doing this over a few weeks. Buying unbound silver is just if you prefer some instant cash or cba to make it yourself.

• kirak2009kirak2009 Member UncommonPosts: 543

i sold 100 iron ingots this morning for 30 unbound silver Liang,  took me an hour to collect the ore

"All expectation leads to suffering" Buhhda

• GormokGormok Member Posts: 379
    All of those are valid ways to make money just like in every other mmo, however other mmos do not offer ingame money in the CS. However the point is that the system does not prevent goldfarmers from spamming the heck out chat to sell their currency. I am actually wondering how in the hell did they even pull that off. I am thinking they have a main accounts for gathering and trading, and then they send all the money to an alt account. Or the old fashioned hacking that they are so known for. Anyway that kind of killed my mood when I logged in last night to get a few TPs in. In stead of seeing the usual looking for x number for 25 TP. im greeting with different color gold spam chat.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

You talking about that 1 guy who's been advertising his site the last 2 nights? Exaggerate much?

Here's the thing. There are no bots in AoW. Here's why -

Equipment durability, you pick or whatever will break after so many uses.

Node regen, nodes regnerate slowly over time. If you stand at the same place farming the same node, you get trash more times than not, further breaking your tool.

Pkr's, The pkrs farm the same spot as the bots. If I even suspect you may be a bot, I attack.

For these reasons, it will be VERY tough to be a "Gold farmer" in AoW.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by kirak2009

i sold 100 iron ingots this morning for 30 unbound silver Liang,  took me an hour to collect the ore

I decided to do offline work lastnight, since Chengdu was filled with stalls. I log in this morning, 50 Liang! I always try and set my stall, never do offline work. This is what I've been missing!?!?

• kirak2009kirak2009 Member UncommonPosts: 543
    lol i get between 5 and 50 everyday from logging out,  i never set a stall,  i sold my ingots at someone elses stall

"All expectation leads to suffering" Buhhda

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576
    On the single guy selling gold. I hope they ban him.
    On the stall situation Suzhou is the new market town if you can't get in Chengdu. last night it had a good amount of stalls.
  • ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    Saying there was only one gold seller is a bit like saying there was only one cockroach in your foie gras.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Scottgun

Saying there was only one gold seller is a bit like saying there was only one cockroach in your foie gras.

Challenge not the tag team Iraqi Defense Ministers of Age of Wushu.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

The thing is, if its one guy, and I think it was because I blacklisted him to stop that yellow spam and didn't see it again last night, then it is easy to ignore them and move on. I mean some guy is buying silver in Wushu? Who cares it is a built in feature of the game, I think they should just ban them and move on...and then investigate anyone who sent money to that person.

This isn't WoW where they can make a new account and speed level up to 80 in a week and then start farming high level content again the skill timer will put a limit on what they can do and the limited storage space should mean that once they find the accounts supporting the seller they should be able to clear out the entire operations inventory......assuming they go to the trouble.

I guess we will just have to wait and see if this is a long term issue or a one day problem, one guy spamming chengdu for one night is not an "invasion" it has yet to be seen if people will risk any repercussions snail might bring down onto people buying from other sources when they can use the ingame method for safer transactions.

If I was snail I would release a notice on the splash screen and top scrolling alert header saying anyone buying or selling silver outside the official channels will suffer account closures...then after three days I would start banning people, I am sure that would stop the problem in under a week.

edit: for some reason mmorpg.com is condensing my text into one large paragraph
  • OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

More and more are cropping up. Sucks..

I just blacklist, I've already got 4 names on there 3 of them actually spammers. I can already see that list growing into the tens easily by next week...

One guy? Idk probably a small team of guys..

They should ban most accounts that send the silver to said account and maybe even temp punish some of the players that purchased it in excess. Shaky approach to take but even a better report function and response would be good.

I rarely ever see GM's make live appearances in games anymore. If even for once or twice a day they'd pop up. They'd more than likely catch a few of the spammers and be able to handle it right then and there. While letting the server know on World chat that such and such has been banned for goldselling and anyone who has been purchasing should be careful before they get themselves banned also..

/shrug

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Opapanax

I just blacklist, I've already got 4 names on there 3 of them actually spammers. I can already see that list growing into the tens easily by next week...

They should ban most accounts that send the silver to said account and maybe even temp punish some of the players that purchased it in excess. Shaky approach to take but even a better report function and response would be good.

I rarely ever see GM's make live appearances in games anymore. If even for once or twice a day they'd pop up. They'd more than likely catch a few of the spammers and be able to handle it right then and there. While letting the server know on World chat that such and such has been banned for goldselling and anyone who has been purchasing should be careful before they get themselves banned also..

/shrug

I expected this of a Korean game - gold farmers everywhere in them.

You want a Korean game, you get gold farmers.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Isn't this still beta? Who's buying?
    Originally posted by botrytis

/shrug

image Someone tell him I'm not... 

To the point though, it's literally 1 guy lol spamming chat. 1 guy. That's it. 

@crow yes, but no wipes. Beta cuz of edge smoothing, some translations,  a couple bugs, and missing content. The funny thing is is that this beta has more content than the last four releases I've played.

• spladianspladian Member UncommonPosts: 20

Some of you guys would complain if I handed you a twenty dollar bill in person...

Anyone that buys gold to convert to Official silver is an idiot. The exchange rate is so bad. 30 dollars = 1ding. No thanks.

The rates gold sellers are advertising at the moment are not even tempting, so don't worry about it. They are not advertising anything you couldn't all ready do via official channels.

Also, making Unbound silver in this game is not hard. Heck, you can make 50 Liang just by logging out for the night.

This game has a learning curve, yes. I am thankful for that , as it is one of the first games in a long time that isn't catering to the lowest common denominator.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by bcbully

/shrug

@crow yes, but no wipes. Beta cuz of edge smoothing, some translations,  a couple bugs, and missing content. The funny thing is is that this beta has more content than the last four releases I've played.

People were complaining that one gold farmer in GW2 was one too many and they won't play with that in the game. But people will put up with anything in the games THEY LIKE.

• tet666tet666 Member UncommonPosts: 295

/shrug

Its actually a Chinese game....

/shrug

People were complaining that one gold farmer in GW2 was one too many and they won't play with that in the game. But people will put up with anything in the games THEY LIKE.

Yes Botrytis, one gold seller is too many... This game just isn't set up to let bots or farmers work. You will never see videos, or come across mass bots.

I don't think I've ever seen one bot. I like to hear if anyone else has.  

Originally posted by tet666

/shrug

Its actually a Chinese game....

I said I wasn't going to tell him. Thank you.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Psychow

I never understood that about beta, but people definitely are. Devs have noticed it, too, which is why they've started monetizing betas.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Psychow

I never understood that about beta, but people definitely are. Devs have noticed it, too, which is why they've started monetizing betas.

This is one thing that really bugs me and I don't know why, but it just pokes me.  I hated it when ANet did it, Funcom, and the rest.  These guys are doing it.  Charging people to help you test their game just feels lame.

It should be noted that the games basic system is well tested, the code has been through months of live release in China so we are really just dealing with localization

translations, the stateside hardware that kind of thing, the most obvious "Beta" nature is the hard restrictions they have on certain skills...the story line just stops at the first part for instance and the more advanced internals are not released in the US version....

But I do believe open beta starts in feb and, whenever it starts, they have said they are removing the time limit on free accounts so we will see how that goes.

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Gold sellers suck but they exist in all games. Personally I don't care, I just block them and if I see a farming bot in AoW (which I haven't) I'd kill it. This game makes botting and gold selling a pain in the butt due to how the system's designed, and even though that won't stop some people it will at least slow them down.

As for the game being in beta: yes it's more like a soft launch. This is a common approach these days and while it may annoy some people that the word "beta" has lost its true meaning, everyone else will accept that times change and just enjoy the game. After all it's way better than all recent releases imo.

• AresPLAresPL Member UncommonPosts: 292
    didnt know that WoW is korean image
  • IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by kirak2009

I decided to do offline work lastnight, since Chengdu was filled with stalls. I log in this morning, 50 Liang! I always try and set my stall, never do offline work. This is what I've been missing!?!?

Haha haven't been playing much lately, but i'm always offline work and log in for the cash :)

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Yeah, I think goldsellers will invade regardless of the two currency system (which I don't like either btw.).

There are still plenty of things to farm in this game, even if mob grinding is disabled, such as several resources and scrolls from instances etc., all of which can fetch ridiculous prices from people who are apparently willing to just throw money at it. The goldsellers can just sell it cheaper than the official rate.

The other day I found a bot or something standing at a hidden place in the world with a gold chest spawning there, just farming that.

Imo, the only way to prevent it, is to either have a lack of things that you can actuall farm, or to ban ban and ban them again.

TOR is the game with the least goldsellers I've ever seen, GW2 does relatively well on that front as well.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!