Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Computer Upgrade Question

StoverStover Member UncommonPosts: 14

Hello Everyone,

I am very exicted about ESO due to the fact that I am a loyal Daoc player, and this game is as close to 3 faction RvR out there with different faction zones.  With that being said I was wondering if I should upgrade my computer to enjoy ESO or what I have will run it on High settings just fine.  Would love to get by without upgrading due to our new baby and putting most of our spare money into her 529 for college.

My Specs:

Processor - Intel Core I7 930 @ 3.7GHz (OC)

Ram - 6gigs DDR3 1600

Motherboard - EVGA x58 LE

GFX - GTX 480 1.5GB

Just wondering If I can run the game on High ( shadows turned down) and tweaking if need be, at a 60FPS?  If not should i do a full upgrade or just swap in a 670 card?

Comments

• DezzickDezzick Member Posts: 3

If you upgraded to a GTX 670, you'd probably need a new CPU incase of a bottleneck. Your ram is fine, 6 gigs is more than 4, less than 8. Some people say 8 is the best, some people say 4 is the most you need/want. 6 is fine. If you got a new CPU you might need a new motherboard, then a new PSU because increaes of watt requirements.

I'd just keep with your system. Find out if the game runs fine for you. No one has played the game yet.

• c0existc0exist Member UncommonPosts: 196
    I see no reason why you cant play this game on high with your current setup especially with shadows on low.  Save your money that 480 still plays hard.  
  • VarkingVarking Member UncommonPosts: 542
    They told me my PC which is a bit lower end than yours should run the game well and beatifully on Twitter not too long ago, but that they also can not confirm it yet because the game isn't gold yet.
  • StoverStover Member UncommonPosts: 14

Thank you all for the responses.  I will just keep my current setup and see how it plays.  I have made the mistake before with upgrading before testing and realized that I didnt need to or the game was not for me. 

Thanks again! and I hope ESO is as close to daoc 2.0 as we can get =).  I hope I can create one of my favorite classes of all my 15+ years of mmo game, a Mentalist.  I loved the concept of a cloth based heal over time class with mana regen and DoT spells.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I don't think your cpu would throttle your cpu if you got a faster one.

That said 480gtx should be fast enough anyway.

I don't know if the game has a dx11 client, if so you might want a more modern gpu to take advantage of that (although your 480 should handle dx9 fine)

But to get an actual upgrade from your 480 your looking at a 670 / 680 / 7950 or 7970. Which probably isn't worth the money as your 480 is good enough.

The good news Is if you upgrade gpu, they use less power than 480 so you wouldn't need new psu.
  • gracefieldgracefield Member UncommonPosts: 279

I honestly think people often under-estimate what their systems can do.

I have this - Core 2 Duo E7200 2.53ghz; Windows XP; 4gigs of RAM (three recognised) and an HD4870 (second hand).

You'll agree that most reasonably well-off youngsters are doing their homeworks on systems with better specs than this one, but it's all I can afford I'm afraid.

The point is that I can play Skyrim, LOTRO and Diablo 3 all on maximum settings with smooth gameplay and good FPS. I rarely experience any problems.

Now I know that there are plenty of new games that would leave me and my crappy computer in bits, but I think what I'm saying is that if you maintain your system, defrag it regularly, keep it clean and turn off unwanted processes, you can crank plenty out of even the most humble of set-ups. You often don't need the tons of RAM and giant-killer video cards that some of the guys on here will recommend.

I think you'll be fine...

• StoverStover Member UncommonPosts: 14

Without looking at my system, I think my power supply is a 1200 anyways.  I agree I didnt want to spend the money on a new video card anyways.  If I would spend money it would be the whole computer to get the new motherboard and a SSD drive as well. 

I will keep my current setup and prob get another year out of it.  Unless my wife spends it on finishing the basement =)

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by gracefield

I honestly think people often under-estimate what their systems can do.

I have this - Core 2 Duo E7200 2.53ghz; Windows XP; 4gigs of RAM (three recognised) and an HD4870 (second hand).

(...)

The point is that I can play Skyrim, LOTRO and Diablo 3 all on maximum settings with smooth gameplay and good FPS. I rarely experience any problems.

(...)

I'm curious. You said "all on maximum settings with smooth gameplay and good FPS" so from that list that includes Skyrim. With the following settings? And without any kind of heavy mods?

• gracefieldgracefield Member UncommonPosts: 279
    I'm at work and I haven't played for many months, so I don't know what my exact settings are, I can confirm they are set at the very high end though. I don't have any mods running.

I see what you're saying and I'm not arguing, I think they are unlikely to be completely maxed out on the meagre hardware that I have, but the point I was making is still valid. You can achieve an awful lot with a lesser system and the answer isn't always to run out and buy expensive new kit that you mightn't need...
  • NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by gracefield
    (...) I can confirm they are set at the very high end though. I don't have any mods running.

Okay.

I see what you're saying and I'm not arguing,

All I was saying was that I was curious. Seeing an older card mentioned and "maximum settings" and "good FPS" just made me want to ask.

One is objective (max is max) and the other one isn't (what's "good" FPS?) and simply throwing it out there like I quoted in the previous sentence can come across as inadvertently misleading, to those who are simply reading along who might take the advice and run with it and be disappointed later. 

So I just had to ask image.

I think they are unlikely to be completely maxed out on the meagre hardware that I have, but the point I was making is still valid. You can achieve an awful lot with a lesser system and the answer isn't always to run out and buy expensive new kit that you mightn't need...

True, but it won't help someone make a decision if one doesn't get all the facts across. What's good FPS? Any mods running? Settings? The rest of the rig setup? Etc.