Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

New Build Design - Your Thoughts Please

TorlukTorluk EdinburghPosts: 162Member

CPU:  Intel 3rd Generation Core i5-3570K

MB:  Asus P8Z77-V LX Intel Z77

GPU:  Asus GeForce GTX 660 DirectCU II 2048MB GDDR5

Mem:  8GB (2x4GB) Patriot Viper "Black Mamba" 1866MHZ Dual Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-24)

SSD:  Corsair Force Series 3 120GB 6GB/S

That is what I intend to buy and unfortunately cannot afford to spend anymore than that on it.  Along with the listed components I will recycle an old Antec Sonata ATX form factor case, 600w Cooler Master PSU, additional 250GB SATA HD, SATA DVD RW and a wireless network card to finish it off.  I'm building the PC to play Skyrim in particular (last rig I built was for oblivion, so the new build is overdue) but also intend to use the PC to catch up on a few other games I have missed over the past few years as well as for MMORPGs of course.

Along with any additional thoughts you might wish to share I have two questions:

1. Have I made any schoolboy errors in my choice of components?

2. I'm always wary of diminishing returns as the cost of components increases, so with that said, are there any components you would substitute for cheaper versions (especially 650gtx vs 660gtx and some of the cheaper i5 or even i3 processors)?

Cheers,

Torluk

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Fresno, CAPosts: 4,171Member Uncommon

I don't see anything glaring in what you have picked out - it should all work together.

The power supply, Cooler Master is hit or miss with power supplies... you've been using it for a while now, so it's on you if you trust it or not in your new build. Without a model number I can't tell much.

As far as cost versus performance - I think you've hit a pretty good spot for the most part.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Posts: 14,772Member Uncommon

There's nothing glaringly wrong in your build.  You don't mention peripherals, but I assume you're re-using old ones.

That's quite a bit to pay for that particular video card, as you could get a different GeForce GTX 660 or even a Radeon HD 7870 for substantially less.

Which power supply is it?  Some of Cooler Master's power supplies are junk and a danger to your system.

Depending on how old your hard drive is, it might not be a good idea to assume it will be reliable anymore.  The standard recommendation is to replace a hard drive after five years.  That's fine if any data that you really, really need is on the SSD, though.

If the processor fits your budget, then have at it.  If you're looking to save money on a processor, then the best way to do so is to go with an AMD FX-6300 together with a cheaper Socket AM3+ motherboard.  Of course, the reason it's cheaper is because it's not as good.

• grndzrogrndzro Reno, NVPosts: 1,150Member
    There is no VRM sinks on that mobo.
  • TorlukTorluk EdinburghPosts: 162Member

Thanks for the replies.

The Cooler Master appears to be this one - Cooler Master GX Lite 600W

A friend had a spare one and offered it to me, I could probably stretch to buying a PSU if this is not fit for purpose though.

Peripherals, yep they will be reused for now and replaced as I can afford.  Thanks for the tip on the HDD, will have to replace that in the near future then as it was bought in 2006.

Taking a quick look about I could save about £20 by getting a cheaper 660, is there anything more important I could spend that £20 on in your opinions?

VRM Sink (had to look up what that is) - is not having this on that mobo gonna be a problem?

Cheers,

Torluk

• grndzrogrndzro Reno, NVPosts: 1,150Member

Not having a VRM on the voltage regulators pretty much means any overclocking is out of the question. And since you want a K series processor it isn't a good mobo for the system.

I'v seen good reviews of the brand new ECS boards.

ECS Z77H2-A4 looks to be a very good 100$ board that has features way above it's price. ECS quality seems to have gone way up in the A3-A4 revisions.

• oubersoubers bazelPosts: 876Member Common
    Originally posted by Torluk

Mem:  8GB (2x4GB) Patriot Viper "Black Mamba" 1866MHZ Dual Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-24)

That is what I intend to buy and unfortunately cannot afford to spend anymore than that on it.  Along with the listed components I will recycle an old Antec Sonata ATX form factor case, 600w Cooler Master PSU, additional 250GB SATA HD, SATA DVD RW and a wireless network card to finish it off.  I'm building the PC to play Skyrim in particular (last rig I built was for oblivion, so the new build is overdue) but also intend to use the PC to catch up on a few other games I have missed over the past few years as well as for MMORPGs of course.

Along with any additional thoughts you might wish to share I have two questions:

2. I'm always wary of diminishing returns as the cost of components increases, so with that said, are there any components you would substitute for cheaper versions (especially 650gtx vs 660gtx and some of the cheaper i5 or even i3 processors)?

Cheers,

Torluk

good setup for its money man, altough i would switch your SSD for http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-revodrive-3-x2-pci-express-ssd.html for even better loading times :)

just saying :)

Originally posted by grndzro

Not having a VRM on the voltage regulators pretty much means any overclocking is out of the question. And since you want a K series processor it isn't a good mobo for the system.

I'v seen good reviews of the brand new ECS boards.

ECS Z77H2-A4 looks to be a very good 100$ board that has features way above it's price. ECS quality seems to have gone way up in the A3-A4 revisions.

"ASUS DIGI+ VRM Utility" on the specifications page of the original mobo I linked.  Is that what you mean?

Originally posted by oubers

Cheers,

Torluk

good setup for its money man, altough i would switch your SSD for http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-revodrive-3-x2-pci-express-ssd.html for even better loading times :)

just saying :)

If only money was no object :)

• ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    I'd be tempted to go cheaper on the cpu / motherboard with a i5 2500k or fx6350 setup then get a better video card like a 7950hd or 670gtx.

You don't really need a better processor, both of those will eat any current (or in production) game for breakfast, but the better gpu would let you play anything maxed out on a single hd monitor at a steady 60fps +.

Depends what you want out of your pc though, if you play a lot of fps, I would sink more cash into the gpu. If you plan on doing other non gaming stuff that's cpu heavy or what to future proof for a bit longer I would stick with the 3570 setup.

Thanks for your input Shaky.

Yea, the longevity of the system is more important to me than the performance I would say.  Like you, I'm old enough to remember when games were just a few coloured lines on a black background so even on medium settings most games these days are gravy to me.

Thanks for all the input guys. My main concern was that I had made some glaring error and a few of you have confirmed that I've not done this.

I've bit the bullet and ordered the parts plus a decent mid range PSU.

Thanks for the replies.The Cooler Master appears to be this one - Cooler Master GX Lite 600WA friend had a spare one and offered it to me, I could probably stretch to buying a PSU if this is not fit for purpose though.Peripherals, yep they will be reused for now and replaced as I can afford.  Thanks for the tip on the HDD, will have to replace that in the near future then as it was bought in 2006.Taking a quick look about I could save about £20 by getting a cheaper 660, is there anything more important I could spend that £20 on in your opinions?VRM Sink (had to look up what that is) - is not having this on that mobo gonna be a problem?Cheers,Torluk

I hadn't heard of the Cooler Master GX Lite, and the only review of it that I could find was completely worthless. ("We pulled about 250 W from a 700 W power supply and it didn't explode.") There probably won't be good reviews forthcoming, as it doesn't go below 180 V, which means it can't be sold in the US.

But the original Cooler Master GX series was bad enough to be a danger to your system, and exactly the sort of power supply that you need to be warned against. I wouldn't expect the "Lite" version to be any better. I'd recommend getting a new power supply.

Originally posted by grndzro

Not having a VRM on the voltage regulators pretty much means any overclocking is out of the question. And since you want a K series processor it isn't a good mobo for the system.I'v seen good reviews of the brand new ECS boards.ECS Z77H2-A4 looks to be a very good 100$ board that has features way above it's price. ECS quality seems to have gone way up in the A3-A4 revisions.

ECS motherboards tend to be hit and miss, with a lot of misses. I'd want to see more than the occasional good review before I'd consider them.

Thanks for all the input guys. My main concern was that I had made some glaring error and a few of you have confirmed that I've not done this.

I've bit the bullet and ordered the parts plus a decent mid range PSU.

Which power supply did you get? Buying something at random usually doesn't end well.
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    Thanks for all the input guys. My main concern was that I had made some glaring error and a few of you have confirmed that I've not done this. I've bit the bullet and ordered the parts plus a decent mid range PSU.

Which power supply did you get? Buying something at random usually doesn't end well.

Went for this one in the end:  Antec High Current Gamer 620W

Thanks for all the input guys. My main concern was that I had made some glaring error and a few of you have confirmed that I've not done this. I've bit the bullet and ordered the parts plus a decent mid range PSU.

Then you're set.  Decent mid-range PSU is, indeed, a pretty good description of that model.

Then you're set.  Decent mid-range PSU is, indeed, a pretty good description of that model.

Thanks Quizzical, your first description wasn't far off the mark though - for someone like me it was a bit of a stab in the dark image