Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The Case for Never-ending Progression

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by haplo602

So he just did the same as Oblivion mechanics. Remember the frustration when everything jumped to your level each 4 levels ? Your numbers increased (levels, skills etc) but they were meaningless because the mobs jumped with you.

Worst idea ever.

Actually he took that worst idea ever and fixed it. By doing so he fixed the other worst idea ever...the idea that content should only be temporarily viable.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• darkblightdarkblight Member UncommonPosts: 55

notice how no one can agree on anything?

this is why we get the games we get. developers are trying to please 1000 different voices. 

in the end the best games can be brutaly simplistic and not what we expect that we would want.. it's the titles you for some reason cannot put down.

alot of the IOS titles are prime examples, often the most over developed games are the least fun, while diving a bird into the ground somehow is something people universally enjoy. 

at sorry to break your hearts, but the days of gamming studios making massive mmorpg's for computers is comming to a end,  the holy grail is now cell phone/ facebook apps and games. 

a modern version of runescape on IOS has the best chance of being a real "wow" killer. 

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.

• newchemicalsnewchemicals Member Posts: 43

Good topic

We will no doubt see more of the "sandbox" no level type games in the future however the EvE skill point system isn't without flaws.

In general, players like to level and see tangable progress and building. How fast that progress is always the 100 million or more dollar question. The hope is that regulated "leveling" will hold back the "content locust" term that has been talked about of late.

Frankly, I'll be glad when the "free" to play era MMO is dead and buried.

• TwiPhoenixTwiPhoenix Aion CorrespondentMember Posts: 19
    Interesting that you used a City of Heroes screenshot for this article, since they pulled off the "never-ending progression" quite well, just not in the endless scaling method way.  Instead of letting a player play the same character forever, entice them to try out one of countless different combinations.  Sure, you might hit the cap eventually, but then you can go play through again with your fire/ice blaster and experience the game quite differently from your previous characters.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

DDO has a rebirth system..

Not sure if it's endless but you can level characters to max and then use that character to make a slightly stronger new character.. and get that one to max and use them to make an even slightly stronger new character and so on.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • renadirenadi Member Posts: 19

EVE online has a levelling system, but no overarching levels. There's no 'level cap' because it simply isn't possible to max out all the skills in the game at any point in time.  I think I read to become proficient in everything would take, literally, 15 years. But even so, the parts of it that are newb unfriendly aren't really the fact that there are people orders of magnitude more powerful than you, but simply because it is such a sandbox most people drop in and say what do I do?

I think that system applied to a normal(fantasy) mmo would be just perfect, it may just be this is what Pathfinder Online is going to become(I just missed out on that kickstarter!).

Though people it seems have a hard time setting personal goals without a quest telling them to, I almost think the old days of Everquest's grinding were better than what most games are now. 

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by Ryowulf

I would really like to see other MMOs use GW2 system of leveling scaling.  One problem I have with other mmos is that your level and your friends/guildmates are often going to be different (until level cap), so if you come to the party late you are stuck lvl'ing alone.

I realize this will mostly fall on deaf ears, but Rift does this better than GW2 imo.  In Rift, you get to select the exact level you scale down to.  If you don't want to scale down for a lower level area?  You don't have to.  But if you do, you get rewarded with things relative to your actual level.

To the OP, I like having having levels.  I am not one to rush to level cap, but I enjoy reaching it with various characters and starting the alternate progression.

I see what you're trying to do, but I don't think what you describe is something that I would enjoy more than what we already have.   This, of course, is just one guys opinion.

• lectrocutielectrocutie Member Posts: 5

Instead of levels, a simple penalty on a skill or attribute would suffice.

I believe it could even become part of the adventure.

Have extremely rare, or crafted items that help eliminate the penalty, or have the penalty be something that has to be worked at to be removed.  You could even throw in player crafted item that are crafted from rare resources where the risk is close to the reward you recieve economically.

I

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

EQ in its prime did this well.  With the AA system you were always improving your character permanently (not gear based progression).  In addition, AAs were more interesting than levels because you had a choice where you grew in power.

The EQ AA system remains the greatest single system in MMO history because of this.

Yes, it made it tough to play catch up.  But there are ways around this, such as the speeding up of initial AAs that EQ did in its later years.  But the notion that people should be equal is ludicrous, the trick is to have content for people of all AA/gear/skill levels and EQ succeeded with that.

Equality is only important in regards to PvP, which is not something EQ cares about or in the distribution of reward systems to the different kinds of play styles.  Otherwise, it shouldn't matter if people have to catch up.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

My First Response: Progression as a Function of Arbitrariness and Novelty

Progression is so tricky in MMOs because it's all completely arbitrary but we all want it anyway.  For every given character level or power level that the game allows you to achieve, the game issues content that is appropriately challenging players at exactly those levels.  It's a simple matter of tweaking numbers.  Any level 55 zone, for example, can be turned into a level 20 zone simply be reducing all mobs' stats by a certain percent.  

If it's so absurdly arbitrary, why have such level progression at all?  I'm sure everyone has experienced certain answers to that question for themselves.  For my part, I'll use a common denominator game like WoW as an example.  I can still vividly recall accidentally exploring my way into the Burning Steppes, an endgame level 50+ zone, as a level 20 character questing in Redridge Mountains.  Needless to say, I swiftly became an afternoon snack for the dragons there.  I took some screenshots of them fighting over my corpse for my scrapbook.  The fiery terrain of that zone burned in my memory throughout the rest of my leveling adventure.  When I eventually reached the level 50s, I was directed to Blackrock Mountain for several dungeons and quests.   I instantly realized what zone I had to travel through to get there, summoning the trepidation that had been instilled in me.  But this time I was stronger.  When I got there, I hesitantly challenged a dragon...and won.  With my group, we took on a few elite dragons.  We carved our way into the mountain's jaws, one dragon at a time.  

The sense of strength I had gained and progress I had made was palpable.  It was exhilarating.  I was in the big leagues now, and it felt good. 

The thing is, like many MMO experiences, this stark, satisfying sense of increased strength was so much more intense the first few times I experienced it.  The same thing still occurs in virtually every MMO I play.  It just doesn't have nearly the same effect.  I'll call this the novelty effect.  Things like this are fascinating and profoundly powerful the first times you experience them; but their effects become ever diminished with each subsequent experience.  Think of the first time you ever played an MMO or online game.  How cool was it when you realized for the first time that those characters running around on your screen were actually other players?  It was mind-blowing for me!  Now I'm so desensitized to other players' presence that I practically don't even notice them.  

---------------

I have other thoughts on the subject, but this one was lengthy enough on its own that I figured I should give it its own post, as well as an unnecessarily academic title, or else the wall of text would become so great that nobody would bother reading it--a fate far too many of my posts suffer.  

• angeltreborangeltrebor Member Posts: 10
    MU Online did the so called "never ending progress" thing you're so striving for , a long time ago.
  • bunzagabunzaga Member UncommonPosts: 36

I think the concept of 'vertical progression' is flawed in several ways.  Game developers need to start thinking of ways to reward players with other incentives, other than the accumulation of linear or exponential 'experience'.

'You' may hate me for saying this, but I believe GEAR should have a larger impact on a persons advantage in combat than an automagic level difference.

Look at Ultima Online.  There are no levels, only skills and gear.  The game is over 15 years old, and people are still playing it.

Does that mean UO is perfect, and every game developer out there should copy it?  Of course not.  Rate Over Time or Use Over Time has its own issues, but it is a place to start looking.

If you think doing mundane quest after quest, or farming your 1,000,000th mob to get to your next level is the reward you are looking for, I think you are not considering the REAL reason levelling up is exciting.  It is for the 5 stat points to put into your vitality, or your 1 skill point to distribute through your skill tree, or the ability to wear that new piece of armor you have been waiting to put on.  Or maybe it is to participate in that new warzone / battlegrounds, or participate in arenas, or get your flying mount, or go into the 'high level' dungeon.

Levelling up in itself is meaningless and pointless.  It is the other things which come with the new level, which drives us.  If those things could be achieved in a different way, where there are no levels required, now that is a game worth taking a look at.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by jtcgs

Nice read...but the answer was already given at a GDC a few years ago.

100% scalable content where the CONTENT scales to the player, not the player to the content.

The developer gave a slideshow showing how to do it.

player = level x with y skills

mob then = level x with y skills

if player = priest, mob also has z skills and x loot table

he then showed a graph on how to scale a mob to the player no matter their level and how the mob would remain a challenge. He then moved on to how to scale a mob to a GROUP, with skills for each type of class in the group so a mob would be custom fit no matter the group combo...and that it can even be done for full groups of 5, 10 and even RAID sized groups.

The man came up with a way to make 100% of a game 100% viable 100% of the amount of time playing no matter the players class, level or group size.

Do you have the link to that GDC interview?  I am a nerd when it comes to gaming systems and would love to see this presentation.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598

I think the problem is that when a game scales, levels then become meaningless.

Part of the sense of progress comes from having things in the game that are super easy > doable > impossible and watching as more and more things become easy and they are able to do things that were previously impossible.  It also serves as somewhat of a difficulty slider because if things are too hard in a certain area you can level up a bit and come back.

Also believe it or not, doing the same area over and over again is not all that appealing, even if it scales.  The sense of progress is not only about numbers but about enablement.

Scaling is a nice feature to have for playing with friends that may be a different level, but it is most certainly not a silver bullet to solve all the woes of progression.

Having a real system of continuous meaningfull progression(the progress you make impacts how you interact with the world around you, and enables you to do new things) generally ends up in having a huge gap in power between new players and the old guard.

So really you need to

1) Keep progress meaningfull

2) Fix the new player > veteran power gap

3) Provide new content to continously challenge the player (because doing the same content on a harder difficulty gets old fast is only going to be acceptable to a small part of the player base)

Those are some tough issues to fix, and often an individual fix for a particular issue has a negative effect on another.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by jbombard

I think the problem is that when a game scales, levels then become meaningless.

(your post....)

So really you need to

1) Keep progress meaningfull

2) Fix the new player > veteran power gap

3) Provide new content to continously challenge the player (because doing the same content on a harder difficulty gets old fast is only going to be acceptable to a small part of the player base)

Those are some tough issues to fix, and often an individual fix for a particular issue has a negative effect on another.

I completely agree

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Nice!

Glad you decided to take this on. It's been my complaint for years. I usually phrase it differently though:

"When I kept playing this game after thie first month, it was because I enjoyed what I was doing. What I was doing was leveling. What makes a developer think that I'm willing to leave behind what I enjoyed and now try to enjoy something completely different?"

You don't need to go any further than that to understand the "retention problem" in modern MMOs: people leave because the thing they enjoyed is over and now you need to learn to enjoy something new...or not.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• FaelsunFaelsun Member UncommonPosts: 501
    It's called MU online, welcome to never ending hell.
  • TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468

sorry but this just sounds like a big add for wow clones. With a new twist nah that's never been tried , the last couple theme park wow clones crashed and burned .  we need inovation not stagnation. the console market is practically the renaissance comapred to the stagnant MMO market.

Soylent WoW is people !

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

Scaling of any kind makes levelling pointless. If you have endless levelling with endless scaling of content then the levelling becomes entirely redundant...

The playground idea wouldn't work either because players would get bored of it after a few weeks. The PvP playground would become barren once a few hardcore levellers dominated it and the PvE one would just get dull when you're one-shotting things...

As others have said the key to 'endless' progression is getting rid of vertical progression and replacing it with horizontal. Allow players to pursue multiple advancement paths on the same character, let them level every class and crafting profession on the same character, let them progress in tertiary systems that allow them to do MORE instead of doing it better.

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

I think Star Wars Galaxies had the best infinate progression system. The main point is they set the bar very high to obtain Jedi status. One had to max out every other single class to unlock Jedi. Even for the hardcores this was difficult to do and Jedi were very rare in the pre-NGE. They also took the the Jedi thing a step further in that if your Jedi died in PvP is was permadeath but there was a benifit that a dead Jedi would unlock a Jedi ghost that would be a helper for your next charactor. Only a small tiny elite ever abtained a second Jedi with previous Jedi ghost unlocked. One of the endearing mystries of SWG is if your second Jedi died as well do you get two ghost Jedi helpers? Nobody even knows for sure how many ghost Jedi could be unlocked but the system had the potential to be infinate.