Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Path of Exile Open Beta Trailer

ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Jan. 23 rd get ready to experience a very good hack and slash rpg. Enjoy!

Source: http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/eehtnb/path-of-exile-exclusive-open-beta-trailer

Comments

• Allacore69Allacore69 Member Posts: 839

I like this game! It's for us D2 fans!

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Originally posted by Allacore69

I like this game! It's for us D2 fans!

That it most certainly is!

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Meet the future king of ARPG. 10 hours of closed beta play and I'm ready to uninstall D3 from my hard drive.

OP - remember to always link with clickies!!!

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/eehtnb/path-of-exile-exclusive-open-beta-trailer

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

great trailer, love that they mix CGI with actual gameplay

• WonderweissMWonderweissM Member UncommonPosts: 127
    When it says, "Final character wipe", does that mean they will wipe this beta, then never again, or will there are no more wipes.
  • RaagnarzRaagnarz Member RarePosts: 576
    Yeah they will wipe the closed beta characters going into the open beta on the 23rd. That will be the final wipe and characters will remain forever from that point on.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by WonderweissM
    When it says, "Final character wipe", does that mean they will wipe this beta, then never again, or will there are no more wipes.

Once open beta starts there will be no more character wipes so it's basically release... since it's free to play anyway and the cash shop is fully functional.

It's still very much a beta though in terms of development.. but it's going to be treated as release by most of those trying it. Open betas with no wipes for ftp games is not a good idea, if you want it to be judged as a beta.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    Maybe so but the game is VERY solid and imo blows away all the other recent crop of aprg's even with the 2 acts currently in closed beta. The game is very much "old school" in it's feel and thats a good thing.
    Originally posted by Raagnarz
    Maybe so but the game is VERY solid and imo blows away all the other recent crop of aprg's even with the 2 acts currently in closed beta. The game is very much "old school" in it's feel and thats a good thing.

I agree.. I like the game. But I think they are shooting themselves in the foot by doing this. First impressions count for everything and once the masses come in and the exploits are found and widely used then the 'it's a beta' excuse won't cut it in this scenario where the effects of those exploits won't be removed easily. You get one chance to impress.. it should be your best foot forward at all times. It's being released before it's ready.

• IntrinsicIntrinsic Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Last time i tried it it was alright, but the major thing which drove me away was the awful interaction between the mouse and the UI. But this was in Nov/dec(last open weekend i thin?) so i hope that has been sorted by now and will maybe give it a go but i think TL2 may have spoilt me :)
  • sp1cexsp1cex Member UncommonPosts: 27
    It's a damn time! Can't wait till 23th!
  • GraeyGraey Member UncommonPosts: 281
    I love this game. Is there a skill calculator for it? I really hate waisting points and the skilldrasil is amazing.
  • PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108
    Originally posted by Graey
    I love this game. Is there a skill calculator for it? I really hate waisting points and the skilldrasil is amazing.

Uhm yea, they got one on the official site.

Yeah there is a skill calc on their website and there is a downloadable one that is much better as it shows you totals of bonuses.

http://code.google.com/p/path-of-exile-skilltree-planer/downloads/list

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    Originally posted by Vannor

I agree.. I like the game. But I think they are shooting themselves in the foot by doing this. First impressions count for everything and once the masses come in and the exploits are found and widely used then the 'it's a beta' excuse won't cut it in this scenario where the effects of those exploits won't be removed easily. You get one chance to impress.. it should be your best foot forward at all times. It's being released before it's ready.

Any issues they encounter will be totally negated by the purchase price = FREE. Whereas D3 screwed up everything but it received outrage because everyone paid $60. Don't discount this title's readiness for prime time. When the opportunity window opens for a gmae, ready or not, you have to take it. This is especially true from a cash flow standpoint. Also let's not forget they have raised over a million dollars in CB. Head over to the forums and see how many people have bought into the $250 and $1000 support package tiers. It's unbelievable really, but more a sign that the game is impressing people. It's one thing to pay $200+ for an MMO lifetime sub as you don't know what you are getting. It's another thing to drop hundreds of dollars on support packages for an ARPG that you have been playing for months and thoroughly enjoy.

Originally posted by jpnole
    Originally posted by Vannor

Any issues they encounter will be totally negated by the purchase price = FREE. Whereas D3 screwed up everything but it received outrage because everyone paid $60. Don't discount this title's readiness for prime time. When the opportunity window opens for a gmae, ready or not, you have to take it. This is especially true from a cash flow standpoint. Also let's not forget they have raised over a million dollars in CB. Head over to the forums and see how many people have bought into the $250 and $1000 support package tiers. It's unbelievable really, but more a sign that the game is impressing people. It's one thing to pay $200+ for an MMO lifetime sub as you don't know what you are getting. It's another thing to drop hundreds of dollars on support packages for an ARPG that you have been playing for months and thoroughly enjoy.

It certainly is popular in it's niche. But.. people don't care if it's free or not these days, they should but the don't.They expect things they don't deserve.. once the gaming horde (those not normally in this niche) gets it's hands on this it could go pretty badly. I love the game but I can at least admit that it is not where it should be. It's functional and playable but it isn't in anyway balanced and the ongoing changes are rampant. The horde isn't going to like how many changes are incoming for their perm characters and skills. The horde isn't going to be patient enough to even begin to understand that currency system.. no gold is going to really set some people off. They will be over whelmed by the skill tree and the way socketing skills works and will scream lack of tutorials.. and all sorts of nonsense.

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661

Nice Trailer !!

And as F2P i am looking forward to play it.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Eh, the game has some nice ideas but ultimately falls short. Combat is kind of stiff, the passive skill trees are still a bit of a mess, and art direction consists of splashing mud & blood everywhere, drastically muting any colors, and giving everything a plastic-like sheen.

I do wish Grinding Gear Games the best of luck though, they've obviously put a lot of work into the game.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    I am not a modern day ARPG fan.
    PoE has changed that.
    This is the best ARPG ever made. Of that I have no doubt.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    I have been in Alpha and Beta of PoE for a longtime now. It is not that great! It's okay, mediocre at best. Too many micro upgrades in the skill trees for me. You still end up going one way or the other for best build viability.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

Originally posted by Betaguy
    Too many micro upgrades in the skill trees for me. You still end up going one way or the other for best build viability.

Maybe you do.. but you should take a look at what other people are doing that shows off what is possible to the narrowminded:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyCTK5sYT3E

There are 'tons' of examples like this..

• nzrocknzrock Member Posts: 27
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

Everything in it is Gameplay!! There is no CGI...I think your confused with what CGI actually looks like.

• MueslinatorMueslinator Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

As nzrock already pointed out, this is ALL actual footage from the game. Well, it also is all CGI since all that simply means 'Computer Generated Imagery'.

But there's nothing pre-rendered in there (besides the Tron-like skilldrassil, which doesn't animate in the game ;-)), it's all game engine. They merely spruced it up with a few slow-mos and camera angles. I think it was more a matter of money - CGI is still expensive, and their own engine is free.

• FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347
    I'm looking forward to trying act 3 for the first time. I haven't played the closed beta for a couple of weeks now in anticipation of the open beta release :)