Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Questions galore! Convince me!

2»

Comments

• PainlezzPainlezz Laguna Hills, CAPosts: 616Member Uncommon

Really, you have to ask yourself one simple question.  Why the heck does this (or any) game think it can charge a monthly fee?  This game did have a monthly sub, and offered zero content updates.  Now it's "Free" to play, but you still have to buy stuff.  Once you buy enough, is it free to play?  Making it a "buy to play" game?

Some people might argue, because you pay for the service, the servers...  Ok, so how much is fair?

Most of us pay $100 for our cell service.  Data, text, voice...

Would we pay $1000 for cell phone service?  I wouldn't.  It's really nice to have, but not THAT nice.

$15 a month is a bit steep to have access to characters in a virtual world. 

• JaedorJaedor Denver, COPosts: 1,140Member Uncommon

I tried it F2P. It's fine but it just didn't grab me. I wanted access to the housing and F2P locks me out of that. The rest wasn't enough to inspire me to sub so I left.

• ZorgoZorgo Deepintheheartof, TXPosts: 2,226Member
    Originally posted by Gorwe

Just before I start:

Telon's the right server, yes?

Isle of Dawn or can I start in racial storylines? I'd prefer latter, but if former is way better I'll take that one.

Keep in mind, 'your home town' takes you to the Human hubs, so it is only your races home town if you pick a human. Otherwise, it is your 'home continent'.

Both the isle and all 3 human hubs are good storylines. 

Isle of Dawn/Tanvu = asian-esque

Thestra = middle ages Europe-esque

Qalia = middle eastern/desert-esque

Originally posted by Painlezz

Really, you have to ask yourself one simple question.  Why the heck does this (or any) game think it can charge a monthly fee?  This game did have a monthly sub, and offered zero content updates.  Now it's "Free" to play, but you still have to buy stuff.  Once you buy enough, is it free to play?  Making it a "buy to play" game?

Some people might argue, because you pay for the service, the servers...  Ok, so how much is fair?

Most of us pay $100 for our cell service.  Data, text, voice...

Would we pay $1000 for cell phone service?  I wouldn't.  It's really nice to have, but not THAT nice.

$15 a month is a bit steep to have access to characters in a virtual world. 

15$ per month is like 50 cents a day......how is that equivalent to a 1000.00 phone bill?

• IkonicIkonic Clarksville, TNPosts: 303Member Uncommon
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Edmonds, WAPosts: 2,353Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Ikonic

They just revamped the F2P limitations

http://www.vanguardthegame.com/news/article.vm?month=012013&id=1532

That's really really awesome. I may actually come back to it now.

• DirkinDirkin Manassas, VAPosts: 78Member

Yeah they just made f2p WAY less restrictive.

As for what server you want, I'd definitely go Telon. Halgar is the EU server, but has a much smaller population.

You really hardly have to pay for anything now. And a sub is only $15 a month if you pay per month. My sub, which has admittedly been active since launch, is on I think a yearly recurring plan. This works out to about $7 a month, plus 500 station cash.

• TokkenTokken Portland, ORPosts: 1,153Member Uncommon

new changes should sell ya.....

Free to Play

·We're pleased to offer substantial improvements to Vanguard for both free players and gold members! Our goal is to open up the game to free players while increasing the value of memberships.

·Free Players:

oAll races and classes available at character create without needing to unlock them

oCan create guilds as well as join them

o2 plat coin limit has been removed

oQuest limit has been raised to 50

oAll bag slots are now unlocked

oCan now join Caravans and Brotherhoods

oBroker and mail fee penalties have been removed, reducing costs to previous subscriber levels

oCan purchase a housing plot.

·Gold Members:

o50% XP boost

oGain faction at double the normal rate

o20% discount on broker fees, mail fees, riftway fees, item repair, and housing upkeep

oCan purchase 2 housing plots

oIn progress: Improved odds at receiving rare loot drops. (Coming in next week's update)

oYour previous member benefits remain: more character slots, more bank slots, no item restrictions, 10% Marketplace discount, and 500 Station Cash per month.

·For more information about the Membership benefits, view the Membership feature matrix and read the FAQ.

Veteran Rewards

·Previously existing veteran rewards are once again available. If your account has rewards available, you will see a message when you log in telling you that there are items waiting to be claimed.

·To receive rewards, open the Marketplace and click the Claim button near the bottom of the window.

·Note: This update only affects previously available rewards. New veteran rewards will be implemented in a future update.

Marketplace

·Check out these new items:

oGround mount: Malson's Turtle Dragon - Ride in style on his sturdy shell

oVisage of the Mummy - Just the thing to startle your group mates

oVanity Pet: Rock Troll - He may not say much, but he's ever at your side

oPetamorph: Statue Cat - A fresh, if somewhat stony, look for your class pet

·Potion of Quickened Steps can now be consumed instantly

·Consumable items have been moved into the Services category

·Appearance slot armor and clothing have been combined into the Outfits category

·Mounts and Pets have been split into their own categories

·All marketplace boats are on sale. There's never been a better time to sail Telon's high seas!

My little plug I guess.....

Brad McQuaid Quote:  So, God-willing, the Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen team and I will be able to make or allow that magic to happen a third time, and it too will be not just a great game, but also that catalyst again that brings people together, sometimes out of their comfort zone, learning how to work together not just tactically in a virtual world but also socially in the real world.
  • BiskopBiskop AvalonPosts: 709Member
    VG is a great game, and with these changes to the ftp matrix perhaps even the cheap freeloaders who want everything free of charge will be happy.

Oh wait, they never are. There will still be moaning and whining because they have to spend a couple of bucks on item unlocks after freely enjoying VG insane amount of content for weeks and months on end (yes you'll have to play A LOT to actually need that yellow and orange gear).

Personally I'll always come back to VG from time to time. Right now I'm too busy with AoW to give it any serious attention though.
  • DrakadenDrakaden Quebec, QCPosts: 133Member
    Originally posted by Biskop
    Oh wait, they never are. There will still be moaning and whining because they have to spend a couple of bucks on item unlocks after freely enjoying VG insane amount of content for weeks and months on end (yes you'll have to play A LOT to actually need that yellow and orange gear).

Lol because it's not high enough of a reason? Gear restriction is basically pay to win, which a lot of gamers loath, and it's not like you pay once and you can equip them forever, you gotta pay for each gear piece, i'm not sure if you were sarcastic or actually complaining about free players, your post was a bit hard to detect the nature of it.

The new f2p changes are great, but i can't restrain myself from thinking, now if that gear limit would go away, it would be perfect.

• n00bitn00bit rochester hills, MIPosts: 343Member

I haven't played in about a 1.5 years, but I can say from my time there that it's worth a go. It feels a lot like Everquest 2 should have. The nicest part is that if you see something in the distance then you can go there; the background isn't just for show...it's a destination.

The game also has a lot to explore; my first time through all I did was explore and I found quite a few uninstanced dungeons along the way that kept me going for exploration alone( though a bit of fancy blue gear drops didn't hurt).

At the end of the day it's a f2p game - nobody can tell you if you'll enjoy it or not. From my experience, it's definitely worth a try.

@ Drakaden

I was not being sarcastic at all. The freeloader mentality is weird imo - you get enormous amounts of content for free, you can play any class/race combo to max lvl, own boats, houses, etc, and you still feel entitled to more and whine about ptw which ofc is utterly absurd in a PvE game like VG).

When you reach the point where gear unlocks are actually needed, you will have spent a lot of time on the game - FREE, unrestricted playtime with full access to 100% of the game's content. You shouldn't be opposed to spending a few bucks by then, unless ofc you're a spoiled child who believes the world owes you everything you desire.

How do you suggest the devs earn money if you can get everything for free? Somebody's gotta pay them eventually, you know. And before you mention it, Aion's model will not work in VG because VG does not have millions of Asians paying monthly subs.

• jonrd463jonrd463 Tacoma, WAPosts: 598Member

Thank You all for your advices! Yes, even you Starpower, even tho you are blocked :D

Wait, what? You blocked the guy for giving his honest opinion in a way that wasn't even the least bit trolling? So you require other people to tell you what you like, and when someone gives a sound reason why not, you block them?

Yeah, go ahead and block me, too. I can't see myself ever engaging a schizoid like yourself in a reasonable and objective conversation anyway.

"You'll never win an argument with an idiot because he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous

• rafalex007rafalex007 dubaiPosts: 244Member
    BE convinced dam it  image
  • BetaguyBetaguy Halifax, NSPosts: 2,590Member

Right! I'll start as directly as I can:

f2p version of Vanguard bothers me. Can you enjoy yourself with it? Any way to buy classes or races(LoTRO style)? Because I adore Elves of all kinds and now I am limited. Not to mention that I wanted to play Druid(meh...) or Cleric(that can be done :D!).

Also, when we are at it, how good are the graphics? Oblivion level? Morrowind level? This could be pretty important Cuz I don't Like stiff animations. It makes combat...dull.

How beatiful is Telon? More importantly, how beautifully is the Water rendered(Water is very important to me...)?

Also, the limited housing due to f2p confuses me. Isn't it one of the pillars of Vanguard?

Also, how much can I get into Telon(you know, Roleplaying)? What RP Tools are present and how good are stories/quests/etc?

I ask all of this because it seems that Vanguard is my type of MMO, but before I get involved, I want to get absolutely positive that I want to actually play it...

And don't bother suggesting me to sub. The only game that is worthy of sub, in my eyes, is Rift. Because they have fast updates/bug free updates and friendly(LOL they define friendly!) Community relations.

That right there is where you will uninstall after about 10 minutes of gameplay. It is what still keeps me from playing today.

• DrakadenDrakaden Quebec, QCPosts: 133Member
    Originally posted by Biskop
    @ Drakaden

I was not being sarcastic at all. The freeloader mentality is weird imo - you get enormous amounts of content for free, you can play any class/race combo to max lvl, own boats, houses, etc, and you still feel entitled to more and whine about ptw which ofc is utterly absurd in a PvE game like VG).

When you reach the point where gear unlocks are actually needed, you will have spent a lot of time on the game - FREE, unrestricted playtime with full access to 100% of the game's content. You shouldn't be opposed to spending a few bucks by then, unless ofc you're a spoiled child who believes the world owes you everything you desire.

How do you suggest the devs earn money if you can get everything for free? Somebody's gotta pay them eventually, you know. And before you mention it, Aion's model will not work in VG because VG does not have millions of Asians paying monthly subs.

It isn't wrong by any means to think the devs are deserving a paycheck for their product if you play it, you are totally correct about this, the thing is, there is many factors in play that makes so the MMO market has to be even more competitive than it's peer MMOs:

The market is oversaturated in MMO games;

The players are divided by the choices, and what the market wants to get are dedicated players who invest themselves, so they stick around and possibly spend on their product;

The MMO market is modifying what they offer gradually, this is like a dog fight for which game will attract the most, so they offer more in order to try to attract more.

There's more Offer than Demand, it's a simple market thing, it's not about being spoiled or whatever, if the customer has the power, it's what happens.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo HindPosts: 662Member

Vanguard is a good game, the question is if SoE can support it with new content and make some revamps to the core content etc. Also, if the community is healthy now it's an epic experience in Telon.

If you get into a guild with alot of members it can be really fun. Explore the world together, do mount and armour/weapon questlines together, craft ships, furnitures, house, guild halls, weapons, armour etc.

Raid and explore dungeons.

@ Drakaden

You're right if course, but the point is VG does offer a LOT of free content and you'll only run into the restrictions until after already playing for a long time - as opposed to many other titles where you're locked out from major content from the get-go (like in Turbine's games for example).

Bitching about some locked gear is pretty cheap when you get a full game of VG's size for nothing.
    Originally posted by InFlamestwo

Vanguard is a good game, the question is if SoE can support it with new content and make some revamps to the core content etc. Also, if the community is healthy now it's an epic experience in Telon.

If you get into a guild with alot of members it can be really fun. Explore the world together, do mount and armour/weapon questlines together, craft ships, furnitures, house, guild halls, weapons, armour etc.

Don't want to discount all of your points, but why would 'adding content' be a high priority for a game where very few have actually completed the existing content?

Re-vamps, bug stamping, code improvements, new char models and easier grouping functions would all be my pick for how SOE needs to show its support for the game, imo.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo HindPosts: 662Member
    Originally posted by Zorgo
    Originally posted by InFlamestwo

Don't want to discount all of your points, but why would 'adding content' be a high priority for a game where very few have actually completed the existing content?

Re-vamps, bug stamping, code improvements, new char models and easier grouping functions would all be my pick for how SOE needs to show its support for the game, imo.

Revamping the content, adding new content. If you revamp, you need to add new stuff to replace some of the old content.

2»