Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

3 million copies sold since august general consensus so far

1101113151624

Comments

  • Slappy1Slappy1 columbus, OHPosts: 458Member
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Volkon
    Originally posted by Eir_S

    Sorry but this is the most reaching post I've ever seen.  WoW's phasing is not used that frequently in mid level zones.  Even then, before phasing in zones even existed back in BC and early Wrath, when WoW was at its most popular, I saw the same amount of people (ie: very few) running around in zones as I did in Cata.  But it's apparently bad news for GW2.  You can't blame running into less than half a dozen people in Burning Steppes (or Stranglethorn, etc.) in two hours on "phasing".

    But people noticed it less in WoW, because when you didn't see other players it was considered a good thing.  After all, the fewer people around, the fewer people to steal your mobs.

     

    That's a huge point there. In WoW, if you came across some random mini-boss (like the ones for the achievements) you kept your mouth shut, told noone and hoped you (or some guildies with you in party) would be the ones to tap it first and take it down. Or that dragon in Northrend that drops the mount... you don't call for help, you try and do it alone and hope noone gets a steal. (I'm thinking pre-Cata when there were people in Northrend... I hear the population there has lessened somewhat...)

     

    Similar situation in GW2, you find a champion for example, you annouce it in chat, people appear out of nowhere and you all as a group take it down and get credit for doing so. 

     

    Of course... I'm not sure that point has anything to do with the topic anymore, but I thought it did when I typed it. Still, interesting point, no?

    People still don't get it - a Champion is hard to take down alone. So what if they get credit, they didn't steal the kill, like what happens in WoW - you all get credit unless you come in at less then 50% HP for the boss. GW2 and WoW ARE NOT the SAME in this respect. It is also why there is no kill stealing in GW2. The bosses also scale up harder the more people there.

    I agree Botrytis,this is a feature of GW2 that I really like.The open tapping no ks is done right.As is the way craft node's are done.

    Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

    Arya Stark

  • VolkonVolkon Sterling, VAPosts: 3,788Member
    Originally posted by Slappy1
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Volkon
    Originally posted by Eir_S

    Sorry but this is the most reaching post I've ever seen.  WoW's phasing is not used that frequently in mid level zones.  Even then, before phasing in zones even existed back in BC and early Wrath, when WoW was at its most popular, I saw the same amount of people (ie: very few) running around in zones as I did in Cata.  But it's apparently bad news for GW2.  You can't blame running into less than half a dozen people in Burning Steppes (or Stranglethorn, etc.) in two hours on "phasing".

    But people noticed it less in WoW, because when you didn't see other players it was considered a good thing.  After all, the fewer people around, the fewer people to steal your mobs.

     

    That's a huge point there. In WoW, if you came across some random mini-boss (like the ones for the achievements) you kept your mouth shut, told noone and hoped you (or some guildies with you in party) would be the ones to tap it first and take it down. Or that dragon in Northrend that drops the mount... you don't call for help, you try and do it alone and hope noone gets a steal. (I'm thinking pre-Cata when there were people in Northrend... I hear the population there has lessened somewhat...)

     

    Similar situation in GW2, you find a champion for example, you annouce it in chat, people appear out of nowhere and you all as a group take it down and get credit for doing so. 

     

    Of course... I'm not sure that point has anything to do with the topic anymore, but I thought it did when I typed it. Still, interesting point, no?

    People still don't get it - a Champion is hard to take down alone. So what if they get credit, they didn't steal the kill, like what happens in WoW - you all get credit unless you come in at less then 50% HP for the boss. GW2 and WoW ARE NOT the SAME in this respect. It is also why there is no kill stealing in GW2. The bosses also scale up harder the more people there.

    I agree Botrytis,this is a feature of GW2 that I really like.The open tapping no ks is done right.As is the way craft node's are done.

    Well yeah, I meant this to be a positive towards GW2. I was thinking that it helps show the population is still healthy in GW2 due to the numbers of people that show up but realized that it really doesn't as a comparison to a game like WoW where other players are a bad thing. By then I'd already typed it and didn't feel like wasting the effort. image

    Oderint, dum metuant.
    image

  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard La BarrePosts: 3,545Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by orsonstfu

    Question what was your playtime on the game. because unless got to max level in less than 40 hours if that it fairly impossible to do that without a ridiclous proption of time but in. Rember there are only 24 hours in a day...

    I fail to see how that effects anything.  I played the game a lot sure but it's context of having no life that has no merit.

    I had the ability to play that while working a 12 hour on call job 4-5 days a week. I can do it because my job is at times boring and I play games at work. My wife also plays and we were rolling through the content together with 6 of our RL friends.  So the no life issue is gone in my mind because of this. Did I play many hours a day over the course of the first 4 days sure did.

    This was my magic combo on the 4th day to get my precursor: Carrion Verdant Warhammer, Travelers Orrian Smasher of Energy. Carrion Verdant Rifle of Corruption, Shaman Norn Axe of Energy.

    This kind of stuff always makes me smile IRL. People pretending doing their job seriously while playing games like a MMORPG for hours during work time.

    If you play a game, you do not work (unless you're a game tester working for QA of the game's developer or making reviews of course). Either you are screwing your employer, or you just are just making things up and are not telling the whole truth, because any employer worth his grain of salt would fire such a person without thinking twice if he knew about it. But anyway your special case is in no way the NORM. Most people can't afford to spend half or more of their work time playing games. Most people aren't leeches abusing their employer's trust.

    Playing now: WoW, Landmark, GW2, The Crew, SotA

    Top 3 MMORPGs played: UO, AC1 and WoW

    Honorable mentions: AO, LotRO, SW:TOR and GW2.

    ----------------

    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

  • Eir_SEir_S Argyle, NYPosts: 4,623Member
    Originally posted by Slappy1
    Originally posted by Eir_S

    Sorry but this is the most reaching post I've ever seen.  WoW's phasing is not used that frequently in mid level zones.  Even then, before phasing in zones even existed back in BC and early Wrath, when WoW was at its most popular, I saw the same amount of people (ie: very few) running around in zones as I did in Cata.  But it's apparently bad news for GW2.  You can't blame running into less than half a dozen people in Burning Steppes (or Stranglethorn, etc.) in two hours on "phasing".

    But people noticed it less in WoW, because when you didn't see other players it was considered a good thing.  After all, the fewer people around, the fewer people to steal your mobs.

    The fact is though it's not reaching.The possibility is there as to why you're not seeing people in WOW.That's the point and yes phasing is used in the old zones since Cata,but once again the fact it's 8+ yrs old seems to be lost on so many,why is that?

    The "fact" is that it's reaching if you were to say that GW2 is dead and WoW isn't based purely on what you see in the world.  People are doing other things, yes, but neither game had tons of people running around even in BC, when there was no such thing as phasing.  I doubt I was just "unlucky" enough to have missed them on the several servers I played on.  GW2 is simply being held to a different standard because events are easier with a ton of people.  Personally I enjoy a small group to make the fight more challenging since the mobs can only scale up to 10 people, and in the early days of launch, this meant you could barely AOE before everything was dead.  I'm glad it's not like that now.

    That's a model Blizz wanted to run with and you end up pretty solo(except dungeon' and Bg's) all the way to 85+.The thing about GW2 is the DE's are designed to have multiple player's.Many can be soloed at least the 1st couple phases,but isn't solo actually going against the design here?Sure you can,but why?

    I don't know, it's odd but I see a lot of the complaints of dead zones coming from EU servers.  Several in just the past few days.  Because the only time I solo events is when I know damn good and well that I should be sleeping, and everyone else but me got the memo.  The zones are huge too, but when I port around I still see people completing hearts or using the merchants in out-of-the-way outposts.  There's nothing dead about my server (except our WvW score).

    As for WoW, the game always seemed pretty dead to me for the "king" of MMO's, at least out in the leveling world past 30.  When it was at its most popular, I still rarely met anyone on the roads and when I did, I knew I was in competition with them for things like nodes.  That's a different topic but it's just not something I enjoyed.

    Isn't the whole concept of DE's a continuation of public quest's in War and the invasion/rift's in Rift.I'm not saying either of those game's does it better,but if you're soloing many of these isn't it defeating the point?

    Well yes, but no one I know is experiencing it.  ANet said they were going to go back and change things in zones, adding and tweaking things long before this current trend of saying the game was dead ever popped up.  We'll see how their plan works, but regardless, people will always complain about something.  My beef is with the Nexon chick who made dyes character-bound...

     

  • NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Common
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Originally posted by Chieftan

    I wouldn't use GW1 as a metric for anything in today's market.  In it's day there were practically zero F2P MMOs and they capitalized on that.  Things are MUCH different now.

    Yeap - they sold the triple in the same time.

    Much different.

    good point - GW1 sold 1 million in it's first 5 months

    http://guildwars.com/events/press/releases/pressrelease-2005-09-22.php

  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard La BarrePosts: 3,545Member Uncommon

    We did Catacombs yesterday evening with a couple of guildies who missed some of the explorer paths, to help. There was an army of people standing at the entrance, and area chat was full of people asking/offering a group for both story and explorer modes. That's facts for you.

    EU server, by the way.

    Playing now: WoW, Landmark, GW2, The Crew, SotA

    Top 3 MMORPGs played: UO, AC1 and WoW

    Honorable mentions: AO, LotRO, SW:TOR and GW2.

    ----------------

    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

  • VolkonVolkon Sterling, VAPosts: 3,788Member
    Originally posted by Slappy1

    Isn't the whole concept of DE's a continuation of public quest's in War and the invasion/rift's in Rift.I'm not saying either of those game's does it better,but if you're soloing many of these isn't it defeating the point?

    No, the concept is the replacement of static quests ("!") fully with dynamic content that can alter the world to varying degrees based on success/fail of the events. What you do or don't do will reflect what the next person sees. In a game like WoW that uses phasing when you do something it only affects you; the next person along sees the old stuff until he gets to the quests that change the phasing. In GW2, if you let a giant take a town everyone else that comes along sees the town occupied by the giant. They must do something to take the town back.

    Oderint, dum metuant.
    image

  • Camaro68Camaro68 Daytona, FLPosts: 50Member
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Originally posted by Chieftan

    I wouldn't use GW1 as a metric for anything in today's market.  In it's day there were practically zero F2P MMOs and they capitalized on that.  Things are MUCH different now.

    Yeap - they sold the triple in the same time.

    Much different.

    good point - GW1 sold 1 million in it's first 5 months

    http://guildwars.com/events/press/releases/pressrelease-2005-09-22.php

    I wonder how much GW2 cost to make and market vs. GW1.  Much different indeed.

  • Slappy1Slappy1 columbus, OHPosts: 458Member
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by Slappy1
    Originally posted by Eir_S

    Sorry but this is the most reaching post I've ever seen.  WoW's phasing is not used that frequently in mid level zones.  Even then, before phasing in zones even existed back in BC and early Wrath, when WoW was at its most popular, I saw the same amount of people (ie: very few) running around in zones as I did in Cata.  But it's apparently bad news for GW2.  You can't blame running into less than half a dozen people in Burning Steppes (or Stranglethorn, etc.) in two hours on "phasing".

    But people noticed it less in WoW, because when you didn't see other players it was considered a good thing.  After all, the fewer people around, the fewer people to steal your mobs.

    The fact is though it's not reaching.The possibility is there as to why you're not seeing people in WOW.That's the point and yes phasing is used in the old zones since Cata,but once again the fact it's 8+ yrs old seems to be lost on so many,why is that?

    The "fact" is that it's reaching if you were to say that GW2 is dead and WoW isn't based purely on what you see in the world.  People are doing other things, yes, but neither game had tons of people running around even in BC, when there was no such thing as phasing.  I doubt I was just "unlucky" enough to have missed them on the several servers I played on.  GW2 is simply being held to a different standard because events are easier with a ton of people.  Personally I enjoy a small group to make the fight more challenging since the mobs can only scale up to 10 people, and in the early days of launch, this meant you could barely AOE before everything was dead.  I'm glad it's not like that now.

    That's a model Blizz wanted to run with and you end up pretty solo(except dungeon' and Bg's) all the way to 85+.The thing about GW2 is the DE's are designed to have multiple player's.Many can be soloed at least the 1st couple phases,but isn't solo actually going against the design here?Sure you can,but why?

    I don't know, it's odd but I see a lot of the complaints of dead zones coming from EU servers.  Several in just the past few days.  Because the only time I solo events is when I know damn good and well that I should be sleeping, and everyone else but me got the memo.  The zones are huge too, but when I port around I still see people completing hearts or using the merchants in out-of-the-way outposts.  There's nothing dead about my server (except our WvW score).

    As for WoW, the game always seemed pretty dead to me for the "king" of MMO's, at least out in the leveling world past 30.  When it was at its most popular, I still rarely met anyone on the roads and when I did, I knew I was in competition with them for things like nodes.  That's a different topic but it's just not something I enjoyed.

    Isn't the whole concept of DE's a continuation of public quest's in War and the invasion/rift's in Rift.I'm not saying either of those game's does it better,but if you're soloing many of these isn't it defeating the point?

    Well yes, but no one I know is experiencing it.  ANet said they were going to go back and change things in zones, adding and tweaking things long before this current trend of saying the game was dead ever popped up.  We'll see how their plan works, but regardless, people will always complain about something.  My beef is with the Nexon chick who made dyes character-bound...

     This is pointed at your 1st paragraph.

    When I say it's dead or seem's dead that's because of the fact,that for me to play the game that has De's and end up soloing them,that's dead or lacking to me.As is with WOW having the same(roughly)people running around,but it's more solo than ever.That's much more acceptible to me,it may not seem fair,but it's 2 different models here.It's also 8 yrs old.

    Your experience in WOW is different than mine and that's fine,no problem.Myself,I did see people everywhere in Vanilla and when BC came out 2 yrs later,the people I saw in the lower zone's did decrease.It just seem's more pronounced here,thats all.This year will be interesting to say the least for GW2.I will go back and play at some point,it does do some thing's right :)

     

     

    Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

    Arya Stark

  • YamotaYamota LondonPosts: 6,620Member
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Originally posted by Yamota

    Didnt Diablo III sell like 9 million copies? I know it isn't an MMORPG but the payment model of the two are similar and both are action RPGs which do not have an offline component.

    So for me 3 million copies is nothing special for a triple A RPG. If it was subscription based then yeah but it is not.

    That is like saying Ronaldo isn't special because Messi is better.

    And of course triple AAA RPGs you have Diablo and erm, Diablo.

    Yeah, when you talk about GW2 you have to compare it to the most successful PC Games in history.

    One doesn't need to do that when talking about crap.

    I am saying that 3 million sold units for a triple A B2P RPG is nothing special. Many B2P RPGs sold more than that and D3 was just one example, so 3 million is perhaps above average for a triple A title.

    Hell even subscriber based RPGs like AoC and SW:TOR sold over a million units, so 3 million for a B2P one is nothing special.

  • Slappy1Slappy1 columbus, OHPosts: 458Member
    Originally posted by Volkon
    Originally posted by Slappy1

    Isn't the whole concept of DE's a continuation of public quest's in War and the invasion/rift's in Rift.I'm not saying either of those game's does it better,but if you're soloing many of these isn't it defeating the point?

    No, the concept is the replacement of static quests ("!") fully with dynamic content that can alter the world to varying degrees based on success/fail of the events. What you do or don't do will reflect what the next person sees. In a game like WoW that uses phasing when you do something it only affects you; the next person along sees the old stuff until he gets to the quests that change the phasing. In GW2, if you let a giant take a town everyone else that comes along sees the town occupied by the giant. They must do something to take the town back.

    The thing is that the event's reset (at least in the zone's I've been in) and even though they may try and replace static quest's,they themselve's do a reset which make's them static.I mean they may have an area contested for awhile,they pretty much stay contested or reset once beaten.Nothing in the world has changed once a reset.

    I agrre with the WOW only affecting you with phasing,They seem to want a person to feel they're the hero.It doesn't work though,once everyone get's to lvl cap it's hero's everywhere.

    Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

    Arya Stark

  • ScaryMonkScaryMonk LondonPosts: 97Member
    If GW2 is considered such a success that it spawns a host of clones (in a repeat of the post 2004 mmo landscape), then that is my mmo career officially over.  It will be back to single player games for the forseeable future; talking of which has anyone played The Walking Dead- well worth a play through.  
  • NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Common
    Originally posted by Yamota

    I am saying that 3 million sold units for a triple A B2P RPG is nothing special. Many B2P RPGs sold more than that and D3 was just one example, so 3 million is perhaps above average for a triple A title.

    Hell even subscriber based RPGs like AoC and SW:TOR sold over a million units, so 3 million for a B2P one is nothing special.

    context from wiki -- this is all time sales -- not just sales for 5 months

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PC_video_games

     

    GW2 is still coming to China

    http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08/30/guild-wars-2-is-heading-to-china/

     

    i could be wrong but i think its realistic that GW2 will sell at least 10 million over a 3 year period

    -- if it does, that places GW2 in top 10 PC games of all time for best sellers

     

  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter BristolPosts: 2,801Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Originally posted by Yamota

    Didnt Diablo III sell like 9 million copies? I know it isn't an MMORPG but the payment model of the two are similar and both are action RPGs which do not have an offline component.

    So for me 3 million copies is nothing special for a triple A RPG. If it was subscription based then yeah but it is not.

    That is like saying Ronaldo isn't special because Messi is better.

    And of course triple AAA RPGs you have Diablo and erm, Diablo.

    Yeah, when you talk about GW2 you have to compare it to the most successful PC Games in history.

    One doesn't need to do that when talking about crap.

    I am saying that 3 million sold units for a triple A B2P RPG is nothing special. Many B2P RPGs sold more than that and D3 was just one example, so 3 million is perhaps above average for a triple A title.

    Hell even subscriber based RPGs like AoC and SW:TOR sold over a million units, so 3 million for a B2P one is nothing special.

    Not that many B2P RPGs in the PC, certainly not many PC B2P MMORPGs.

    And comparing offline RPGs with MMORPGs isn't apple to apple either.

    A MMORPG need to maintain some population to keep selling.

    But I guess 4 million won't be special either.

     

     

    Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

  • niceguy3978niceguy3978 Gainesville, FLPosts: 2,000Member
    Originally posted by Warband
    Originally posted by Ramonski7
    Originally posted by Warband
    Originally posted by sadeyx

    hmm,  so far its sold exactly half as many copies as diablo3 did on the first day xD,  Which is a pretty good indicator,  leveling alts, item hunting and acheivments in D3 just seems to be far more gratuitous.

    Guildwars2 is neither an MMO nor a standalonge RPG resulting in a game that isnt very very good at either.   Great if your a person who is deeply conflicted about these gamyplay styles but not me.   I rather play either a thorough-bred MMO or a thorough-bred RPG.

    The only people in my friends list that still play it are just people determined to prove the game is as good as they convinced themselves it would be during the hype.

    The reality is, it was fun for a month but now is the time to accept it will never be the wow-killer, will never live up to the hype and look for something else.

     

     

    Diablo 3 is bad game that entirely on the strength of it's predessor and blizzard brand name. When was the last time Blizzard posted any stats about the game sales, yeah the intial one.

    I would be careful about throwing around accusations like that. You can easily replace D3 with GW2 and Blizzard with ArenaNET and someone could present you with the same argument. No it's best if you just ignore posters that try to drag down a discussion by bringing in things that are not related to the subject at hand. Calling either game bad is a matter of opinion that varies wildly among millions of players.

    Completely missed the point. I was stating guild wars 2 sold a million starting 2 months after launch meaning the game continue to sell decent past the intial launch buzz. The same can't be said for Diablo 3 otherwise blizzard would have mentioned it. GW2 also reviewed higher based on critics and general user score. Of course bad game is an opinion but gw2 is generally regard as higher by the majority from the information I have.

    It hasn't sold a million copies since 2 months after launch.  As of Sept 13th the game had sold 2 million copies (roughly 2 weeks after its official launch date), so in the following 4 months it sold another million.  Diablo 3 sold 3.5 million its first day (plus 1.2 million of the annual pass people) and through September 30th had sold 10 million copies according to http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-07-diablo-3-has-over-10-million-subscribers.  So the game more than doubled its sales in the following months after release.  It looks like Guild Wars 2 will also double its initial launch sales around the end of the summer at this pace, so good on them.  It is worth the intial cost, in my opinion.  But now I got trapped in the x game has y sales compared to z games sales.  Arg.

  • Ramonski7Ramonski7 Aurora, ILPosts: 2,656Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Nadia

    maybe im wrong

     

    RIFT had Storm Legions and Storm Legions Infinity edition including base game

    I'm expecting GW2 to do something similar

    Including the base game and not needing it in order for a standalone to function are two totally different things. No where on the box does it say gw1 is required to play Nightfall when you buy the Nightfall campaign but I sure Storm Legions requires having Rift installed or they wouldn't be including it in the first place.

    image
    "Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

  • NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Common
    Originally posted by niceguy3978   Diablo 3 sold 3.5 million its first day (plus 1.2 million of the annual pass people) and through September 30th had sold 10 million copies according to http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-07-diablo-3-has-over-10-million-subscribers.  So the game more than doubled its sales in the following months after release.

    it was announced in Blizzards financial report that D3 sold 10 million thru July 30th

    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-03-activision-diablo-3-has-over-10-million-players

     

    i have no idea what D3 has sold beyond July

     

  • NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Common
    Originally posted by Ramonski7

    Including the base game and not needing it in order for a standalone to function are two totally different things. No where on the box does it say gw1 is required to play Nightfall when you buy the Nightfall campaign but I sure Storm Legions requires having Rift installed or they wouldn't be including it in the first place.

    Storm Legions Infinity - does not require RIFT installed

     

    my point regarding GW2 remains

    if ANET sells bundles of the expansion  (similar to RIFT)

    - how do you differentiate the old players from new players?

     

    I doubt ANET is going to list the bundles seperately in their financial reports

  • fiontarfiontar Dana, MAPosts: 3,719Member
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Yamota

    I am saying that 3 million sold units for a triple A B2P RPG is nothing special. Many B2P RPGs sold more than that and D3 was just one example, so 3 million is perhaps above average for a triple A title.

    Hell even subscriber based RPGs like AoC and SW:TOR sold over a million units, so 3 million for a B2P one is nothing special.

    context from wiki -- this is all time sales -- not just sales for 5 months

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PC_video_games

     

    GW2 is still coming to China

    http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08/30/guild-wars-2-is-heading-to-china/

     

    i could be wrong but i think its realistic that GW2 will sell at least 10 million over a 3 year period

    -- if it does, that places GW2 in top 10 PC games of all time for best sellers

     

    This is an important point to make. 3 Million units is the total to date. I think there were around 2 million units sold by the end of September. An additional milion units in the 4th quarter is very solid for ongoing MMO sales.

    However, this also provides some important information on the success of the B2P business model. GW2 produced $110US revenue in Q4. Unit Sales directly from Arenanet may provide $60/unit revenue, but with the wholesale prices for units sold through other retailers, the average revenue per unti sold would be less than $60/unit.

    The wholesale price is probably closer to $36/unit. It's not unreasonable to guesstimate that the average revenue per unit is somewhere around $45. That would mean ~$65 million in revenue was produced via gem sales. That's pretty healthy revenue. Roughly the equivalent of the revenue produced by a subscription based game with a paying player base of over 1.4 million players! (If all 3 million GW2 accounts were being actively played, that would mean roughly half the revenue per account as a subscription based game, but few AAA MMOs released in recent years can boast of 700,000 active, paying subscribers).

    These numbers look even better, relative to the competition, when you consider how many of the AAA P2P titles released in recent years have transitioned to F2P models, in some cases less than a year after the initial release.

    GW2 will continue to build the total player base via box sales over time. Among that playerbase, people will come and go as far as active play time goes, but the expanding pool should continue to provide enough active, gem purchasing players to maintain and even grow the revenue stream over time.

    Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated
    image

  • jtcgsjtcgs New Port Richey, ILPosts: 1,777Member

    This entire thread is becoming redonkulous.

    People that hate the game is trying a little TOO HARD to make the game look bad.

    Oooh 3 million sold for a buy to play isnt good because D3.

    Yeah, it isnt even an actual MMORPG, its an ARPG with an IP that sold millions. The only thing different from D3 and D2 is that its 100% online.

    The ACTUAL fact is that GW2 is a full fledged MMORPG and the list of MMORPGs that topped 3 million copies sold is VERY SMALL.

    World of Warcraft, Guild Wars 1 and Lineage 2

    Thats right, SWG did not come close. Ultima Online did not come close. EverQuest 1 or 2 did not come close. Age of Conan did not come close. Dark Age of Camelot did not come close...not even Lineage 1 which can be argued to be the second largest populated MMO in history sold more than 3 million because it went free so long ago.

    So, how is it so many former MMORPGs that are held to be "good" or have "done well" did not come CLOSE to 3 million sold, but somehow GW2 does yet is held to a different standard? Simple, haters gonna hate...and they will hate with arguments that dont hold water.

    “I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

  • ScaryMonkScaryMonk LondonPosts: 97Member
    Originally posted by jtcgs

    This entire thread is becoming redonkulous.

    People that hate the game is trying a little TOO HARD to make the game look bad.

    Oooh 3 million sold for a buy to play isnt good because D3.

    Yeah, it isnt even an actual MMORPG, its an ARPG with an IP that sold millions. The only thing different from D3 and D2 is that its 100% online.

    The ACTUAL fact is that GW2 is a full fledged MMORPG and the list of MMORPGs that topped 3 million copies sold is VERY SMALL.

    World of Warcraft, Guild Wars 1 and Lineage 2

    Thats right, SWG did not come close. Ultima Online did not come close. EverQuest 1 or 2 did not come close. Age of Conan did not come close. Dark Age of Camelot did not come close...not even Lineage 1 which can be argued to be the second largest populated MMO in history sold more than 3 million because it went free so long ago.

    So, how is it so many former MMORPGs that are held to be "good" or have "done well" did not come CLOSE to 3 million sold, but somehow GW2 does yet is held to a different standard? Simple, haters gonna hate...and they will hate with arguments that dont hold water.

    Haters and fanboys ^.  Both equally irritating.  

  • jtcgsjtcgs New Port Richey, ILPosts: 1,777Member
    Originally posted by ScaryMonk
    Originally posted by jtcgs

    This entire thread is becoming redonkulous.

    People that hate the game is trying a little TOO HARD to make the game look bad.

    Oooh 3 million sold for a buy to play isnt good because D3.

    Yeah, it isnt even an actual MMORPG, its an ARPG with an IP that sold millions. The only thing different from D3 and D2 is that its 100% online.

    The ACTUAL fact is that GW2 is a full fledged MMORPG and the list of MMORPGs that topped 3 million copies sold is VERY SMALL.

    World of Warcraft, Guild Wars 1 and Lineage 2

    Thats right, SWG did not come close. Ultima Online did not come close. EverQuest 1 or 2 did not come close. Age of Conan did not come close. Dark Age of Camelot did not come close...not even Lineage 1 which can be argued to be the second largest populated MMO in history sold more than 3 million because it went free so long ago.

    So, how is it so many former MMORPGs that are held to be "good" or have "done well" did not come CLOSE to 3 million sold, but somehow GW2 does yet is held to a different standard? Simple, haters gonna hate...and they will hate with arguments that dont hold water.

    Haters and fanboys ^.  Both equally irritating.  

     Its true, pointing out the argument that 3 million sold is not a lot based on D3 sales makes a person a fanboy. Must be a hater.

    “I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

  • NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Common
    Originally posted by fiontar

    The wholesale price is probably closer to $36/unit. It's not unreasonable to guesstimate that the average revenue per unit is somewhere around $45.

    an analyst firm claimed ANET is making $48 a copy

     

    http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/guild0-wars-2-thanksgiving-in-tyria/

    NCSoft will receive $48 out of every $59.99 copy of GW2 sold

  • Ramonski7Ramonski7 Aurora, ILPosts: 2,656Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Ramonski7

    Including the base game and not needing it in order for a standalone to function are two totally different things. No where on the box does it say gw1 is required to play Nightfall when you buy the Nightfall campaign but I sure Storm Legions requires having Rift installed or they wouldn't be including it in the first place.

    Storm Legions Infinity - does not require RIFT installed

     

    my point regarding GW2 remains

    if ANET sells bundles of the expansion  (similar to RIFT)

    - how do you differentiate the old players from new players?

     

    I doubt ANET is going to list the bundles seperately in their financial reports

    That's because it's included in the package. Here:

    http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-RIFTSLIE/rift-storm-legion-infinity-edition

    Furthermore that's a pretty bold assumption to think that ANet will follow the lead of a mmo that has a sub based revenue model. I for one would think it would be wiser to maximize box sales seeing as they have a totally different way to generate revenue. But that's just me.

     

    That alone is reason enough to believe that there will be separate statistics for its first expansion. Now whether ANet will be willing to share that information as easily as it has about GW2's success is something we will have to see.

    image
    "Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

  • DistopiaDistopia Baltimore, MDPosts: 16,904Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by fiontar
     

    This is an important point to make. 3 Million units is the total to date. I think there were around 2 million units sold by the end of September. An additional milion units in the 4th quarter is very solid for ongoing MMO sales.

    However, this also provides some important information on the success of the B2P business model. GW2 produced $110US revenue in Q4. Unit Sales directly from Arenanet may provide $60/unit revenue, but with the wholesale prices for units sold through other retailers, the average revenue per unti sold would be less than $60/unit.

    The wholesale price is probably closer to $36/unit. It's not unreasonable to guesstimate that the average revenue per unit is somewhere around $45. That would mean ~$65 million in revenue was produced via gem sales. That's pretty healthy revenue. Roughly the equivalent of the revenue produced by a subscription based game with a paying player base of over 1.4 million players! (If all 3 million GW2 accounts were being actively played, that would mean roughly half the revenue per account as a subscription based game, but few AAA MMOs released in recent years can boast of 700,000 active, paying subscribers).

    These numbers look even better, relative to the competition, when you consider how many of the AAA P2P titles released in recent years have transitioned to F2P models, in some cases less than a year after the initial release.

    GW2 will continue to build the total player base via box sales over time. Among that playerbase, people will come and go as far as active play time goes, but the expanding pool should continue to provide enough active, gem purchasing players to maintain and even grow the revenue stream over time.

    How is anything an indication of success or failure at this point? For an MMO to be successful it must overcome more hurdles than simply selling boxes, that goes for the B2P model point as well. An MMO's success greatly depends on how relevant it remains over a course of years not the first few months.

    My major gripe with this form of success calculation is that many MMO's sell well when they release, be it 1-2 million or even 3 it really doesn't mean a game is going to be successful at offering a MMO experience. These are sales based on hype for the most part.

    Come back two years from now and such a point will be relevant as well as accurate if things remain on the up for A-net.

    Based on word of mouth right now, the retention based aspects of the game are suffering from some series problems. Much like they were in TOR at this point of it's life, the main factor here for success is how they deal with those issues.

    For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

    It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

Sign In or Register to comment.