Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are factions completely segregated?

VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

Apologies if my internet skills suck and the answer is easily found somewhere. I couldn't find it, but was interested to know:

Are the three factions completely segregated in the game? Or can they group together for PVE content?

I am interested because I will be playing this with a group of 5-6 friends and if we all have to choose the same faction to play together then it kind of sucks. Surely ZeniMax can see that, while the DAoC re-run of three factions fighting over Cyrodiil is a nice idea, if PVP isn't your thing (which is probably true of a good portion of Elder Scrolls fans) then the factional segregation severely limits players who just want to enjoy the world, the quests, the adventure zones etc.

Comments

• I'm pretty sure they said you won't be able to chat with the other factions, so it would be weird as Hell if you could group with them. I'm not sure if you can even enter the enemy faction zones.
  • VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

It really is a stupid idea. I was reading the Ten Ton Hammer "Top 5 reasons to play Elder Scrolls Online" today (http://www.tentonhammer.com/teso/opinions/top-5-reasons-to-play-elder-scrolls-online) which cites the lore and setting as one of the reasons, saying:

"The explorable world should prove to be as gigantic as the lore behind it. The developers have promised us an enormous game world to explore, consisting of all the lands we saw in the previous three games (Morrowind, Cyrodiil and Skyrim) plus High Rock, Hammerfell, Summerset Isles, Valenwood, Elsweyr and the Black Marsh. Most of these regions haven't been featured as explorable areas in a game since Arena, the very first game in the series."

I have read similar comments a few times, which always forget that, while the world might be gigantic in its entireity, 67% of it will be inaccessible to your character at any given time because of the faction set up. I wish ZeniMax would realise this is not what any Elder Scrolls fan wants and just make the factions for PVP only.

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by Vonatar

It really is a stupid idea. I was reading the Ten Ton Hammer "Top 5 reasons to play Elder Scrolls Online" today (http://www.tentonhammer.com/teso/opinions/top-5-reasons-to-play-elder-scrolls-online) which cites the lore and setting as one of the reasons, saying:

"The explorable world should prove to be as gigantic as the lore behind it. The developers have promised us an enormous game world to explore, consisting of all the lands we saw in the previous three games (Morrowind, Cyrodiil and Skyrim) plus High Rock, Hammerfell, Summerset Isles, Valenwood, Elsweyr and the Black Marsh. Most of these regions haven't been featured as explorable areas in a game since Arena, the very first game in the series."

I have read similar comments a few times, which always forget that, while the world might be gigantic in its entireity, 67% of it will be inaccessible to your character at any given time because of the faction set up. I wish ZeniMax would realise this is not what any Elder Scrolls fan wants and just make the factions for PVP only.

As long as they make leveling fun (fingers crossed) and not pulling teeth like most mmo's, then the segregated factions will be a great thing. It will basically meen we get 3 completely different games connected by a massive PvP map, with NO repitition of content.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by deakon

As long as they make leveling fun (fingers crossed) and not pulling teeth like most mmo's, then the segregated factions will be a great thing. It will basically meen we get 3 completely different games connected by a massive PvP map, with NO repitition of content.

I'd rather get an Elder Scrolls MMO. 

It's cool you want DAoC2, but that's not ES. 

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

I think they made a comment at some point along the lines that if you wanted to experience all of the content, and explore all of the map, you have to roll a character for each faction. 

Whether or not that means you need to play on other servers I don't know; which is what I would hope they'd do in a 3 faction pvp game. 

Originally posted by Uhwop

I think they made a comment at some point along the lines that if you wanted to experience all of the content, and explore all of the map, you have to roll a character for each faction. 

Whether or not that means you need to play on other servers I don't know; which is what I would hope they'd do in a 3 faction pvp game. 

Apparently there will be no servers, just  a megaserver with some kind of shards dividing people according to various preferences (I think they said gameplay style, age groups, friends etc.) so, as you say, it's even more ridiculous in the PVP context that you can just swap factions with an alt and fight against the guys you were just teamed with.

Maybe all this will get ironed out closer to launch, but I think the factional segregation of races and zones is here to stay.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    This is why they should gave COPIED DAOC MORE and had the alternative ffa and coop server ruleset instead of this mega server bullshit.

The "i can't go where I want" people would have been happy then
    Torvald
    Rift is a raid grinder though. TESO is a much more pvp orientated game by the sounds of it.
  • Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

I can really care less if certain areas are closed off.  I'm no ES lore junkie but everyone's not very hunk dorky right now and all this is before the Empire so people will be at each other's throat.  Hopefully they'll have some neutral borderland areas though.

What I hope they truely address is faction population imbalance issues which is what apparently plagues TSW.  Race restricted factions will only cause population imbalances and I foresee that the Ebonheart will be the dominate faction (contailns all the most popular races) while the other two is a toss up.  The Daggerfall's has two of the highly unpopular races of the Redguard and Orcs (people play orcs only for the traits or abilities) which I think will be the least popular faction, they got the Brenton which is the only race going for em.  That is if the race polls of skyrim is any indication of race popularity in ESO.

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

You are still getting a less restricted map than any other TES game, each faction gets access to 4 provinces rather than just 1.

Only the internet gaming community could see less restriction as more

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

You are still getting a less restricted map than any other TES game, each faction gets access to 4 provinces rather than just 1.

Id rather have access to the entire world of Tamriel and the CHOICE to choose what Faction I want to fight for that is not dependant on what Race I choose at Start-up/Character Creation

THAT would truely be Elder Scrolls.

Right now TESO is DAoC 2.0 in an Elder Scrolls skin.

Nothing more

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

It's not though pirate.

Because in daoc you could roll on a ffa server if you were of a full on pvp mindset or roll on a coop server if you were of a pure pve mindset and go where the hell you liked.

Don't for the life of me know why they went with this instanced to hell and back megaserver thing when they could have gone the daoc core/ffa/coop server setup of daoc, which was perfect for players if all types. With this megaserver thing they are just catering to the core server (like both pve and pvp but keep them separate) crowd. Only they aren't, because there will be all sorts of cross realming bullshit going on with a single server.
  • shawn01shawn01 Member UncommonPosts: 166

I would much rather have it set up like daoc. I loved it when i started on hib wondering about what the other realms were like. Wondering even what the people there looked like since there were no bgs back then.

After a while i made chars in the other realms and got to explore those zones too. I never felt like i was missing out on "content" because the endgame was so good.

One other thing, I dont want people i just killed yapping at me. It was amusing sometimes on mordred to have people get angry and talk stupid, but mostly its just annoying.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    It's not though pirate.

Because in daoc you could roll on a ffa server if you were of a full on pvp mindset or roll on a coop server if you were of a pure pve mindset and go where the hell you liked.

Don't for the life of me know why they went with this instanced to hell and back megaserver thing when they could have gone the daoc core/ffa/coop server setup of daoc, which was perfect for players if all types. With this megaserver thing they are just catering to the core server (like both pve and pvp but keep them separate) crowd. Only they aren't, because there will be all sorts of cross realming bullshit going on with a single server.

The way it will be set up, you'll have a selection of choices of your interests so that hopefully you will be put in a phase world with like-minded people. For example one was what age group would you like to group with (real life age group)?0-10/11-20/21+, you'd make your choice and be on a phase world with those that made your seleceted choice. That's how it was explained to ones have been priveleged to play a teeny bit of alpha. May not be exactly what you'd like, but to me this is an excellent idea. I love the idea of making choices and being placed in a phase world with everyone like minded.

In case someone wants a link to someone else that has mentioned what I spoke of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLp0ykvotEI

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

While I see what you are getting at, when the game uses to advertise the game things like "Explore the whole of Tamriel" when they should say "Explore 40% of Tamriel then create 2 alts to explore the other 2 factions remaining 30% to explore the whole of Tamriel".

Sort of like buying a 3 in 1 cinema ticket for the Lord of the Rings trilogy then being told you have to leave the cinema and someone else will have to watch the 2nd film and another the 3rd...Why complain, you are still seeing one of them right....am I right?

Well its 4/7ths of the world you get to see, but yeah.

Still wish they'd make a mordred set server for the likes of me, then I can "choose to be in a phase" where I have to worry about getting jumped, making solo pve less boring, letting me see 7/7th of the world and make my own faction with who I like.

Likewise would be nice to have a coop ruleset for those cuddly orcs that want to POP over to Valenwood to pick some flowers with their elf friends.
  • MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Well its 4/7ths of the world you get to see, but yeah.

Still wish they'd make a mordred set server for the likes of me, then I can "choose to be in a phase" where I have to worry about getting jumped, making solo pve less boring, letting me see 7/7th of the world and make my own faction with who I like.

Likewise would be nice to have a coop ruleset for those cuddly orcs that want to POP over to Valenwood to pick some flowers with their elf friends.

4/7?

3 locations per faction for a total of 9, 1 central pvp location...overall total 10 locations. Each faction can explore their own 3 locations and the central pvp location for a total of 4 locations. 4/10 is 40%. Correct me if I am wrong.

And I do so wish people would stop wanting the game to be DAOC2. It is called THE ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE. The hint is in the name as to what type of game it should be. Never, and I mean NEVER have I ever engaed in PvP in a TES game, so even if it is an MMO, the PvP shoudl never have been the focus. A part of the game, sure why not, but the main focus affecting every design descision they have made to take the game further away from what TESO could and should have been? No, and that is why the game will have problems.

No there's only 2 pve areas per side at launch, they ate keeping back places like black marsh for expansion.
    No there's only 2 pve areas per side at launch, they ate keeping back places like black marsh for expansion.

Source?

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435

Source?

observe the recent themepark trend my friend, and the market in general, why release all world for a X amount of revenue if u can release ur game earlier to please investors soon and then profit from X+Y = game released + expansions packs, that prolly are already ready but to be release at homeopatical doses to keep the dummies playing and paying for each piece?

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911

Apologies if my internet skills suck and the answer is easily found somewhere. I couldn't find it, but was interested to know:

Are the three factions completely segregated in the game? Or can they group together for PVE content?

I am interested because I will be playing this with a group of 5-6 friends and if we all have to choose the same faction to play together then it kind of sucks. Surely ZeniMax can see that, while the DAoC re-run of three factions fighting over Cyrodiil is a nice idea, if PVP isn't your thing (which is probably true of a good portion of Elder Scrolls fans) then the factional segregation severely limits players who just want to enjoy the world, the quests, the adventure zones etc.

They don't care about what you want, they are making for "MMO-players".  Apparently these illusive "MMO-players" have a lot of money and have never played a single player game in their life.  They would not understand the freedom you are describing.

They are making some content for the "RPG single player gamers".  These people have never played a MMO so that means they do not fully understand what's expected out of the genre.  The developers know what's best for them, just let them do their thing.

ESO is doing something no other company has ever tried before, they are going to mix the "MMO-players" with the "RPG single player gamers".  Now for the first time we'll have these two completely different groups together in one game.  I can not fathom the true depth of this concept...

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en/news/post/2013/01/18/alliances-at-war

Here is a new video released today about the war.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Of all the things to complain about, getting 3 different unique leveling experiences should not be one of the things to complain about.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

SWTOR did stuff like that too, even going as far as to make some zones fully instanced for a specific factions, thus ensuring Empire / Republic paths would almost never cross.

The end result was a fairly dry experience in the interaction department.  Lifeless worlds.

I'm not much of an altaholic player, so I'd classify segregating zones to certain factions/races only as very restrictive.  But on the plus side for those who hate MMO's, ESO is shaping up to be a wonderful single player game, just like every other .. ah-hem .. other recent WoW clone / limited longevity themepark.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    im glad factions are seperate, it gives a sense of tension to the world unlike other games were you can pick daisey with everyone. you need an enemy in an mmo and this is were gw2 failed for me, i never had that sense of an enemy or an approaching conflict.