Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Professions almost perfectly even distributed

CaldicotCaldicot Member UncommonPosts: 454

Check out this link:

http://gw2census.com/charts.php?pie=total÷=charprofession

Don't know how reliable but it does seem like they managed to balance the professions pretty good.

Edit: Fixed link

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

Comments

• LadyEupheiLadyEuphei Member UncommonPosts: 223

It is based off people that submitted to the website their info. So, it is probably a really small pool image

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

all i get is half a screen of concept art. no stats.

EDIT: figured it out, but not at your link. i gotta say though. 83% of players are male. that majority.... was unexpected. to that degree.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    Originally posted by LadyEuphei

Try this link

http://gw2census.com/charts.php?pie=total÷=charprofession

that works. thanks.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    FYI that site was created pre-beta to poll people about what characters they WILL play.  I remember it from about a year ago.  If you look at the comments on the page, you'll see the last one was 11 months ago :p  I don't think it has had any recent data entries and doesn't link to any actual created characters. 
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by LadyEuphei

It is based off people that submitted to the website their info. So, it is probably a really small pool image

There are 40883 characters in the database.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Well they did actually confirm they got almost even distribution recently (last MMO ftw live i think it was).

So its fairly accurate graph, whenever it was created :)

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by atticusbc

all i get is half a screen of concept art. no stats.

EDIT: figured it out, but not at your link. i gotta say though. 83% of players are male. that majority.... was unexpected. to that degree.

So you were surprised that 83% of the players of Guild Wars 2 are male?

You're new to Internet, are you not?

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    I have one of each class except ranger and engineer, and I have a hard time picking a favorite. Thief would probably currently fill the title, but I go in phases of what I want the playstyle to be like.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

I have heard talk of less elementalists in WvWvW and more warriors and thieves.  But I have not played a lot of PvP so I do not know the nuances of the balancing.  From a PvE perspective everyone is really friendly to all classes, I haven't had anyone talk about rejecting someone based on class for dungeons or anyone saying one class is the worst or best.  As far as I can tell they are well balanced.

There are always imblance in PvP though, especially when you have multiple PvP modes.  It is just a question of how much it is or under what circumstances.  Even games that are ultra-fined balanced for esports have balance issues under certain circumstances such as when normal people play it.  Ie in starcraft 2 the races are balanced when professionals play, but protoss have a strong 10 minute push in silver league and zerg ling rush is OP until you hit gold league then it is useless.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by wormywyrm

I have heard talk of less elementalists in WvWvW and more warriors and thieves.  But I have not played a lot of PvP so I do not know the nuances of the balancing.  From a PvE perspective everyone is really friendly to all classes, I haven't had anyone talk about rejecting someone based on class for dungeons or anyone saying one class is the worst or best.  As far as I can tell they are well balanced.

There are always imblance in PvP though, especially when you have multiple PvP modes.  It is just a question of how much it is or under what circumstances.  Even games that are ultra-fined balanced for esports have balance issues under certain circumstances such as when normal people play it.  Ie in starcraft 2 the races are balanced when professionals play, but protoss have a strong 10 minute push in silver league and zerg ling rush is OP until you hit gold league then it is useless.

Actually the 6 and 10 pool zerg rushes can be extremely powerful. I once downgraded myself to bronze only to do 10 pool rushes every game and got into Diamond league with that strategy. This, of course, doesn't mean the rush is OP. It means that most newbies to the game are not prepared to handle such situations. The game is extremely balanced at the pro level. Although Zerg players have recently (or maybe quite a while now) shown some dominance over the other races. Their macro potential is sickening. Protoss are super boring and stale in terms of tactics in their current state :D Although HoTS is giving some really cool new toys to toss. Especially the ability to harrass early on like crazy.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

back in septemper it looked as all proffession bundled up inbetween 10% and 15 % of the overall. https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/john-smith-on-the-state-of-the-guild-wars-2-economy/ (look at the graph in the end)

Since then more players have made alts witch tend to even thing out even more. So it makes sense. Next topic! 

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

This is one of the few games where I've seen such an even balance among all classes. Kinda shows how well they've done making each class. I know that all of the characters I have in GW2 feel and play differently in many ways, but still retain a sense of familiarity. I had taken a break for a bit, but came back recently I just started a new Dagger/Dagger Elementalist, and I am super happy with how simple...yet complex that particular playstyle is.

I will hand it to ArenaNet, they do make it hard to play just one profession.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    What I suspected is happening in the game on the pve chart is exactly what's reflected here. Thief engineer and necro being the worst numbers in PVE and with good reasons. Every time they "balance" engineers they nerf pve it's gotten so bad that engineers are now the number 1 most denied class to go into any dungeon because they simply don't do enough damage or survive well (when specced into a damage build). Even condition builds on engineers are the worst right now. Necros are almost just as bad. The pet builds for them seem to be the worst. They promised they wouldn't balance pvp without making the code for the behaviors between the pve and pvp skills work separately so that when balancing pvp it wouldn't affect pve. Well that didn't happen and now combined with the plethora of bugs that still haven't been addressed 5 months later on these least played classes we're seeing people just drop them entirely for a faceroll class. (thief is the acception to this rule because most people assume it's not a good pve class when it is actually one of the stronger pve classes but most people just use thieves for pvp only)
  • FreezzoFreezzo Member UncommonPosts: 235
    Originally posted by itgrowls
    What I suspected is happening in the game on the pve chart is exactly what's reflected here. Thief engineer and necro being the worst numbers in PVE and with good reasons. Every time they "balance" engineers they nerf pve it's gotten so bad that engineers are now the number 1 most denied class to go into any dungeon because they simply don't do enough damage or survive well (when specced into a damage build). Even condition builds on engineers are the worst right now. Necros are almost just as bad. The pet builds for them seem to be the worst. They promised they wouldn't balance pvp without making the code for the behaviors between the pve and pvp skills work separately so that when balancing pvp it wouldn't affect pve. Well that didn't happen and now combined with the plethora of bugs that still haven't been addressed 5 months later on these least played classes we're seeing people just drop them entirely for a faceroll class. (thief is the acception to this rule because most people assume it's not a good pve class when it is actually one of the stronger pve classes but most people just use thieves for pvp only)

I'll join you: nay

Wait... I'm confused. Which one of us is trolling?

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
    And for MMORPGs ever so true...

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704
    Originally posted by fivoroth

Actually the 6 and 10 pool zerg rushes can be extremely powerful. I once downgraded myself to bronze only to do 10 pool rushes every game and got into Diamond league with that strategy. This, of course, doesn't mean the rush is OP. It means that most newbies to the game are not prepared to handle such situations. The game is extremely balanced at the pro level. Although Zerg players have recently (or maybe quite a while now) shown some dominance over the other races. Their macro potential is sickening. Protoss are super boring and stale in terms of tactics in their current state :D Although HoTS is giving some really cool new toys to toss. Especially the ability to harrass early on like crazy.

Well the 6 pool rush is def OP when you are a newbie... It is so easy to do and will let you win every game against anyone in bronze/silver no matter how bad you are at the game as a whole.  But as it currently stands, you would win very few gold games.  Maybe the reason why you were able to win many diamond games with it in the past is because each season a smaller pool of increasingly good players are playing the game, thus players who were put in diamond when the game came first out (like me) get shifted back into bronze today if they have not practiced much.  When I started playing again over the summer I found myself in bronze and was able to make it back into gold after a couple months of play.  I wasn't able to reach diamond again though, even though when I was originally placed in diamond I knew little to nothing on how to play.

Zerg might feel easier to play at your league, but if you look at the pro players, there is good diversity of races, thus the game is balanced well for the best players but for lower leagues it may not.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• eliteroelitero Member UncommonPosts: 264
    Female Char are being hated on!
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by fivoroth

Zerg might feel easier to play at your league, but if you look at the pro players, there is good diversity of races, thus the game is balanced well for the best players but for lower leagues it may not.

Sorry, when I was talknig about Zerg players having an edge recently I was talking about pro players, not me. I have watched a lot of pro games and sometimes I am just amazed at how OP zerg can get in the late game especially compared to protoss.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.