Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Today is why the game will fail

Comments

• battleubattleu Member UncommonPosts: 18

the server was NOT taken down to slow the axis progress.

i assure you of that

• depot12depot12 Member Posts: 156
    Originally posted by battleu
    Originally posted by depot12

timed server maintenence. .. you are a bunch of WOMEN! Go play another game!

OK lol

From another thread:

Do you know what the word "maintenance" means? It is something that is expected to be done, and scheduled ahead of time.  I work in IT.  We do maintenance where we bounce our servers but we do it at 4am when there is nobody on.  I dont do "maintenance" at 10am on a Thursday when my paying customers are using my services.   I have a plan for when I am going to do it and if I have to bump it out, so be it.   My systems are not that fragile that if I have to bump maintenance out a day or two the whole system doesnt come crashing down around me.

What time was it for aussie players? For me it was 9am. For euro it was middle of the day.

This game does not have servers for geographic region. Your arguement, FLAWED. Terrible. Owned.

I would pick the time when the least players are on. And thats TZ3 which is Aussie players.  Owned. 

You are just unreasonable theres no sense in responding to you. Go back to WWIIOL and pad your stats with freeloaders.

• StugStug Member UncommonPosts: 387
    It was galling, especially as Axis had the population advantage. No wonder axis players are upset...it sounds like the fight was "really hard".

Roll on the next overpop, the side will get it.
  • RigamortisRigamortis Member UncommonPosts: 207

/bar

Bar....I expected more from you,  I really did.  I guess unless its a thread started by you posting how incredibly uber you are in a video game or trying to flex your superiority complex....it does not interest you.  Regardless if this was Axis or Allies,  it was wrong and unfair.  I can GUARANTEE you as the sky is blue,  if I was still in AHC and this happened....I would be FIRST in line complaining demanding it be given to the Axis.  But I guess that is just the way I am,  you know........................fair.

Former GM and associate game designer for SOE and Square Enix.  (2001-2008)
  • david06david06 Member Posts: 183

What was the server population at the time? I guess that the official excuse is "maintenance" but if it was during lowpop I could definitely see CRS intervening.

There's a crowd of players who have been trying to get CRS to shut down/disable capturing on the server outside of their preferred playing time for years now, when FRUs were introduced they stomped their feet and got them nerfed within a campaign so I wouldn't be surprised if they threatened another mass unsub.

Who knows though, the way DOC keeps refering to the historical win/loss ratio (as if anyone cares about who won what in 2005) and it's importance in retaining players maybe this really is a pity campaign.

• AbyssussAbyssuss Member Posts: 85

OK lol

From another thread:

Do you know what the word "maintenance" means? It is something that is expected to be done, and scheduled ahead of time.  I work in IT.  We do maintenance where we bounce our servers but we do it at 4am when there is nobody on.  I dont do "maintenance" at 10am on a Thursday when my paying customers are using my services.   I have a plan for when I am going to do it and if I have to bump it out, so be it.   My systems are not that fragile that if I have to bump maintenance out a day or two the whole system doesnt come crashing down around me.

What time was it for aussie players? For me it was 9am. For euro it was middle of the day.

This game does not have servers for geographic region. Your arguement, FLAWED. Terrible. Owned.

I would pick the time when the least players are on. And thats TZ3 which is Aussie players.  Owned. 

You are just unreasonable theres no sense in responding to you. Go back to WWIIOL and pad your stats with freeloaders.

Got a lot of timezones to choose from then :)

• battleubattleu Member UncommonPosts: 18

Tilo, 

Thanks for keeping the insults personal. You, oh honerable one.

I am not saying it wasn't wrong.  It really sucks.

but its a GAME

• dcoy68dcoy68 Member Posts: 30

the server was NOT taken down to slow the axis progress.

i assure you of that

Elaborate.  How can you assure that?  What is your source of info and facts to back your assurance?

Tilo, 

Thanks for keeping the insults personal. You, oh honerable one.

I am not saying it wasn't wrong.  It really sucks.

but its a GAME

I kinda find it funny BAR that you bring this up.  If I recall,  you were the one that had a meltdown at another post I made and threw all kinds of insults at me unprovoked such as "Man-child" when I didn't say anything about you,  so much so your post was not only deleted,  you were sent a warning.  Hypocrit much?  You make this far too easy BAR.......I am not even trying to make you look foolish.....you doing a good job all on your own.

• pittpetepittpete Member Posts: 233

Dcoy, please don't take this the wrong way.

You are a great map leader and player in game.

With the game currently in a fragile state do you honestly, with out a doubt in your mind think they would knowingly reset the map just to help the Allies?

Would they seriously jeopardize losing more subs to aid the allies?

We have rolled the allies continuously even with perceived help from CRS in the past.

They stated in Axis secure that they pick a time and reset the server w/o knowing the state of the map conditions.

They reset because it has to be done daily & randomly w/o bias

If they chose to reset an hour later the Axis would currently own Antwerp.

If tomorrow we were 1 cp away from capping Brussels, & they reset, we would be going through the same thing.

Just bad,bad,bad timing.

It's bound to happen.

I wish they could get this server stability issue under control.

I'm trying to look at this with a level head so please don't attack me.

I call a spade a spade now a days, in the past not so often.

• dcoy68dcoy68 Member Posts: 30

No other game would bring their server down at a random time unless it was a serious emergency.    See the Antwerp discussion post on how capping was locked when we were going to beat the server on Aarschot.  Look back to the threads when KGW was looking at coming back.  And DOC posted there would be a  higher SD added in certain high pop siuations. 

But that's what myself and others are saying.   They really believe if they don't keep the win/loss ratio very close to 50/50 they will lose subs.  And they might be right.  But they are 100% losing subs striving for this ratio at all costs to not lose subs in theory.  Flawed logic at best.

• mrcheapymrcheapy Member Posts: 56

dcoy was a level 80 pally tank who led multi 40+ dungeon raids in wow

i trust him , he is a hero 

Originally posted by mrcheapy

dcoy was a level 80 pally tank who led multi 40+ dungeon raids in wow

i trust him , he is a hero 

You are my hero cheapy <3   As to pete,  again I go back to the conclusion that they had complete control when they could of brought the server down.  They could of waited a bit longer and let Axis finish Antwerp,  especially after 5 hours.  Antwerp is a special case as would be Brussels,  so you can't use the "what if" scenerios.

Would a scheduled server reset  the same time, every day be tolerable and a possible  solution?

I don't know of any harm this would cause, do you guys?

Just was online, 82 second spawn delay for Axis...man this looks dire
  • TenBlueTenBlue Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by pittpete

Would a scheduled server reset  the same time, every day be tolerable and a possible  solution?

I'm not sure if that's viable in this game.  How long does it take to capture a town nowadays?  Back when I was subbed it was about 10 minutes for an AO to come up then another 10 for tables and then you had to contest the town for a certain time before the bunker table came up and then cap / mop up. 

You were looking at a minimum realistic time of about 40 minutes if the defence was a bit shit.  That's minimum.  Typical town battles would last at least an hour and usually more.

If there was a designated reset time then basically the hour or so before the reset would become a dead zone where it would barely be worth attacking anything as you wouldn't have time to cap it.  The reset only takes a short time I believe so it shouldn't be difficult for them to choose to do it at an opportune time.

• depot12depot12 Member Posts: 156
    Originally posted by TenBlue

I'm not sure if that's viable in this game.  How long does it take to capture a town nowadays?  Back when I was subbed it was about 10 minutes for an AO to come up then another 10 for tables and then you had to contest the town for a certain time before the bunker table came up and then cap / mop up. 

You were looking at a minimum realistic time of about 40 minutes if the defence was a bit shit.  That's minimum.  Typical town battles would last at least an hour and usually more.

If there was a designated reset time then basically the hour or so before the reset would become a dead zone where it would barely be worth attacking anything as you wouldn't have time to cap it.  The reset only takes a short time I believe so it shouldn't be difficult for them to choose to do it at an opportune time.

There didn't used to be daily server reboots.  Too bad CRS can't fix the problem(s) that require the server to reboot!

Originally posted by TenBlue

There didn't used to be daily server reboots.  Too bad CRS can't fix the problem(s) that require the server to reboot!

That's a very good point, I spoke one of the Axis HC guys and they said there wasn't any server reboots in the past. So, what has made it necessary now?

Again, not blaming KFS1 but when he left, thats when the server mess started

He's the one that did all the host/server programming stuff.

Not making excuses, but they really need to hire someone and have them learn.

Time is ticking & frustrations are mounting.

• BodkinBarberBodkinBarber Member Posts: 106
    Originally posted by Rigamortis

/bar

Bar....I expected more from you,  I really did.  I guess unless its a thread started by you posting how incredibly uber you are in a video game or trying to flex your superiority complex....it does not interest you.  Regardless if this was Axis or Allies,  it was wrong and unfair.  I can GUARANTEE you as the sky is blue,  if I was still in AHC and this happened....I would be FIRST in line complaining demanding it be given to the Axis.  But I guess that is just the way I am,  you know........................fair.

bar is a troll. He likes to make people react and cause drama so there's no point being russeled it's all on purpose

• axishatraxishatr Member UncommonPosts: 167

bar is a hard core player.  For him to be here rocking back and forth on the support line is something to take note of.

Thats how bad it is.

• Company0Company0 Member Posts: 36

Again, not blaming KFS1 but when he left, thats when the server mess started

He's the one that did all the host/server programming stuff.

Not making excuses, but they really need to hire someone and have them learn.

Time is ticking & frustrations are mounting.

I dug around for a bit but couldn't find your actual post. To my knowledge, KFS1 left on good terms with the company, Blizzard just offered him money, and a good chunk of it.

• ginzoginzo Member Posts: 23

The thing I remember about KFS1 and 1.34 was that it was in development for a year and a half  despite CRS' proclamation of smaller and more frequent patches.   I don't begrudge CRS for not sticking to smaller and more frequent patches because shit happens and you need to adjust accordingly but when 1.34 started to drag on for over a year I noticed not as many people playing.   Squadmates started dropping and my friends list showed none of them online as time wore on.   When CRS began open beta testing  the player turnout was pretty lackluster, IMO, and by the time 1.34 went live the shit hit the fan.   The forums were melting down with players demanding WTF is wrong and when will it be fixed and  Motormouth stated that they didn't see any of these bugs in open beta.  I guess none of the show stopping bugs were apparent in open beta due to the lack of players to reach critical mass to stress the server with KFS1's hot sauce.   The FUBAR release of 1.34 felt like 2001 all over again, heh.  

As far as KFS1 is concerned, who knows, really.  Throughout the history of the game, every time he made significant changes to his side of things my framerate took a dive and I couldn't discern any  improvements on my end.   He's at Blizzard now but I think that's by his choice.  Living from hand to mouth for the past 10+ years really has to suck and so I don't blame him for bailing out in exchange for working at a financially stable company. 

• david06david06 Member Posts: 183

Originally posted by Ginzo
    When CRS began open beta testing the player turnout was pretty lackluster, IMO, and by the time 1.34 went live the shit hit the fan. The forums were melting down with players demanding WTF is wrong and when will it be fixed and Motormouth stated that they didn't see any of these bugs in open beta. I guess none of the show stopping bugs were apparent in open beta due to the lack of players to reach critical mass to stress the server with KFS1's hot sauce. The FUBAR release of 1.34 felt like 2001 all over again, heh.

The problem with CRS's beta testing was that they didn't seem to care about simulating an intense battle. We'd log on to the beta server like they wanted, but we would still have to run a FRU and it would be 5-10 minutes at most before someone killed it and infantry stopped spawning. The fighting was sporadic and boring(like the normal campaign) and that kept testers from staying on.

I can't remember if it was still during the open beta, or some intermission-style event shortly after the 1.34 launch but it finally took the high commands from each side to get an intense fight going; they arranged some battle over a town in the north with unlimited supply where neither side could spawn tanks and the attackers had a depot in the city. There must've been 250 players in that one town fighting, it was total madness and really fun but the server kept crashing every 20 minutes or so...you would think that CRS would want to figure this out as soon as possible in their development cycle, especially with so much riding on the 1.34 release but like I said they didn't seem to care.

I mentioned that their beta testing methods were poor and weren't coming close to a "stress test" of the server like they wanted but I don't even think that they responded in the forums. I could write a dissertation on this but despite being in the business for 10+ years the people at CRS seem to have little or no grasp of level design, pacing, balance...they're just indifferent to so many concepts that I could've sworn were critical to making a successful game.

• Company0Company0 Member Posts: 36
    Originally posted by david06

Originally posted by Ginzo
    When CRS began open beta testing the player turnout was pretty lackluster, IMO, and by the time 1.34 went live the shit hit the fan. The forums were melting down with players demanding WTF is wrong and when will it be fixed and Motormouth stated that they didn't see any of these bugs in open beta. I guess none of the show stopping bugs were apparent in open beta due to the lack of players to reach critical mass to stress the server with KFS1's hot sauce. The FUBAR release of 1.34 felt like 2001 all over again, heh.

The problem with CRS's beta testing was that they didn't seem to care about simulating an intense battle. We'd log on to the beta server like they wanted, but we would still have to run a FRU and it would be 5-10 minutes at most before someone killed it and infantry stopped spawning. The fighting was sporadic and boring(like the normal campaign) and that kept testers from staying on.

I can't remember if it was still during the open beta, or some intermission-style event shortly after the 1.34 launch but it finally took the high commands from each side to get an intense fight going; they arranged some battle over a town in the north with unlimited supply where neither side could spawn tanks and the attackers had a depot in the city. There must've been 250 players in that one town fighting, it was total madness and really fun but the server kept crashing every 20 minutes or so...you would think that CRS would want to figure this out as soon as possible in their development cycle, especially with so much riding on the 1.34 release but like I said they didn't seem to care.

I mentioned that their beta testing methods were poor and weren't coming close to a "stress test" of the server like they wanted but I don't even think that they responded in the forums. I could write a dissertation on this but despite being in the business for 10+ years the people at CRS seem to have little or no grasp of level design, pacing, balance...they're just indifferent to so many concepts that I could've sworn were critical to making a successful game.

When 1.34 first came out they scheduled stress tests on that server. Probably had 50 or 60 some odd people fighting along a riverside town, I distinctly remember it because I had to talk with GOPHUR (During the event) as my ping kept shifting, so he had me change some setting to fix it.