Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

3 million copies sold since august general consensus so far

Comments

• CannyoneCannyone Albuquerque, NMPosts: 263Member

I really like GW2 though I started playing it late and didn't expect it to be as good as it is...  See what I appreciate are some of the little touches.  For instance: it promotes playing with friends; as in you don't have to have equal level characters to play with friends.  It also has the best character customization features of any MMO I've ever played.  So though the game plays like most other MMOs, except maybe Tera, in regard to combat.  I still enjoy it.  

By comparison the Secret War is a buggy PoS.  It features regular, frequent, disconnects from the server during prime time. Where it puts you in a different instance from your team-mate/s.  I has an abundance of "solo only" mission instances.  And in an attempt to "Make you Think" it features some of the most obscure mission elements of all time (which backfires and makes you alt tab out to go check google for a walkthrough...).  Eventually I decided it was completely lacking in content. Such that it became a true exercise in frustration.  Because completing every mission in a zone does not really prepare you for the difficulty of the next zone.  So after struggling with it for about 6 weeks I'm happy retreat to GW2.

I guess my point is that none of these games live in a vacuum.  In light of that statement I'd say that some people will prefer the glamor of a full tilt theme park like SWTOR (I know I thought I would...).  Others want lots of difficulty to stimulate some "sense of danger".  And others still want some sense that they have nothing invested in a game, except time played.  No game is likely to be all things to all people.  I'm just glad a game like GW2 is available for me to enjoy.

• avalon1000avalon1000 Kihei, HIPosts: 754Member
    Still playing...not every day. Still find new places and am leveling up alts...slowly. Don't game as much as I used to. The game has no sub fee so I don't feel I have to play every nigjht.
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard La BarrePosts: 3,548Member Uncommon

One shall also notice that despite the raw hatred shown towards this game on these forums, GW2 is still the Top Voted game of this site. If anything, it proves that the minority of very vocal haters on the forums aren't representative of the majority of people coming to this website.

But I guess some people just lack courage in real life so that they have to be nuisances on web forums hidden behind a screen where there's no consequences for being annoying, or just have a so boring real life that they have to come here to get some illusion of importance by posting misinformation and nonsense about video games they dislike.

Playing now: WoW, Landmark, GW2, The Crew, SotA

Top 3 MMORPGs played: UO, AC1 and WoW

Honorable mentions: AO, LotRO, SW:TOR and GW2.

----------------

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter BristolPosts: 2,816Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Yamota

Didnt Diablo III sell like 9 million copies? I know it isn't an MMORPG but the payment model of the two are similar and both are action RPGs which do not have an offline component.

So for me 3 million copies is nothing special for a triple A RPG. If it was subscription based then yeah but it is not.

That is like saying Ronaldo isn't special because Messi is better.

And of course triple AAA RPGs you have Diablo and erm, Diablo.

Yeah, when you talk about GW2 you have to compare it to the most successful PC Games in history.

One doesn't need to do that when talking about crap.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• ChieftanChieftan Independence, MOPosts: 1,417Member
    Originally posted by Warband
    Originally posted by Camaro68
    Originally posted by sadeyx

hmm,  so far its sold exactly half as many copies as diablo3 did on the first day xD,  Which is a pretty good indicator,  leveling alts, item hunting and acheivments in D3 just seems to be far more gratuitous.

Guildwars2 is neither an MMO nor a standalonge RPG resulting in a game that isnt very very good at either.   Great if your a person who is deeply conflicted about these gamyplay styles but not me.   I rather play either a thorough-bred MMO or a thorough-bred RPG.

The only people in my friends list that still play it are just people determined to prove the game is as good as they convinced themselves it would be during the hype.

The reality is, it was fun for a month but now is the time to accept it will never be the wow-killer, will never live up to the hype and look for something else.

That's the best summation of GW2 I've seen so far.  It lacks the immediate appeal of Diablo while exuding none of the depth of a good MMORPG.

I wonder though when a developer takes a huge financial risk like this if the extra million box sales early on are better than longterm sub revenue.  Are they obligated to maintain the game when player retention isn't necessary?

Guild wars 1 started off around 1-2 million sales for the first game went on to sell 7 million. i'd say that was worth the risk. Unlike most games, this revenue model sells repectably over time rather than the vast majority at the begining. Wouldn't be surprised for gw2 to sell over 10 million in a fair few years from now over several exapnsion.

I wouldn't use GW1 as a metric for anything in today's market.  In it's day there were practically zero F2P MMOs and they capitalized on that.  Things are MUCH different now.

• TorgrimTorgrim GothenburgPosts: 2,088Member

Didnt Diablo III sell like 9 million copies? I know it isn't an MMORPG but the payment model of the two are similar and both are action RPGs which do not have an offline component.

So for me 3 million copies is nothing special for a triple A RPG. If it was subscription based then yeah but it is not.

You are comparing one of the most beloved action RPG IP of all time with millions upon millions of Diablo and Diablo2 fans across the world with Guild Wars 2?image

With your logic then many facebook games are FAAAAAR better than any PC game ever made due to how many play them image

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel houston, TXPosts: 7,277Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Chieftan

hmm,  so far its sold exactly half as many copies as diablo3 did on the first day xD,  Which is a pretty good indicator,  leveling alts, item hunting and acheivments in D3 just seems to be far more gratuitous.

Guildwars2 is neither an MMO nor a standalonge RPG resulting in a game that isnt very very good at either.   Great if your a person who is deeply conflicted about these gamyplay styles but not me.   I rather play either a thorough-bred MMO or a thorough-bred RPG.

The only people in my friends list that still play it are just people determined to prove the game is as good as they convinced themselves it would be during the hype.

The reality is, it was fun for a month but now is the time to accept it will never be the wow-killer, will never live up to the hype and look for something else.

That's the best summation of GW2 I've seen so far.  It lacks the immediate appeal of Diablo while exuding none of the depth of a good MMORPG.

I wonder though when a developer takes a huge financial risk like this if the extra million box sales early on are better than longterm sub revenue.  Are they obligated to maintain the game when player retention isn't necessary?

Guild wars 1 started off around 1-2 million sales for the first game went on to sell 7 million. i'd say that was worth the risk. Unlike most games, this revenue model sells repectably over time rather than the vast majority at the begining. Wouldn't be surprised for gw2 to sell over 10 million in a fair few years from now over several exapnsion.

I wouldn't use GW1 as a metric for anything in today's market.  In it's day there were practically zero F2P MMOs and they capitalized on that.  Things are MUCH different now.

Also as a comparison,  GW1 sold 7 million total - but that included ALL expansions.. which again,  meant  that since they release what.. 4 copies total?  Even and including that they packaged them all in after factions for the same price as the standalone... the sales revenue decreases per sale over time.    

Thats why the B2P model is a little misleading the way GW does it,  as with subscriptions, you could say "I have 200K subscribers"  and GW2 would say.. "We sold 7M boxes" .... who comes out ahead in this scenario?   Could you imagine the difference if WoW touted boxes sold instead of active subscribers?

"Loan me a Dragon I wanna see space"

Yeap - they sold the triple in the same time.

Much different.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• WarbandWarband ChesterPosts: 723Member

Actually guild was1 still sold well in spite of that. the game only reach 7 million recently, and was only at 6 million a few years ago about well over 3 to be expect. f2p mmo's have been out at least as long and it stll managed to sell an extra million spite of that, despte the last game beein released 4-5 years ago. Considering this is a new game with fai more recognition due to being a highly rated and decent selling sequel it should be fine. It's already showing some signs of legs.

• TeiloTeilo LiverpoolPosts: 284Member
    Guild Wars 2 has sold over 3 million copies since its August

I have to admit, my initial reaction was.

"is that all?"

How many copies did SWTOR sell again? And that was sub game ...that still isn't doing that well. :-/

Originally posted by Teilo

"is that all?"

How many copies did SWTOR sell again? And that was sub game ...that still isn't doing that well. :-/

Swtor went f2p within a year. It's box sales and sub after after were obviously terrible. This game managed to sell and extra million well after launch in about 3-4 months. That's the distinct difference. One game continued to sell well after launch and probably will continue to sell and the other didn't.. Also considering swtor had star wars IP and the Bioware name recognition near it's peak as well as the massive marketing campaign it's not really comparable, it was also the largest budget mmo in existence and the strongest combined brand power to grace an mmo..

GW2 was however leagues better recieved than swtor was and post launch sales infer that, Considering the most a pc game has sold in that period of time is 6 million (released in far more territories than gw2 was and the biggest in pc game history), there's no way you can infer it so far as mediocre or bad.

"is that all?"

Swtor went f2p within a year. It's box sales and sub after after were obviously terrible. This game managed to sell and extra million well after launch in about 3-4 months. That's the distinct difference. One game continued to sell well after launch and probably will continue to sell and the other didn't.. Also considering swtor had star wars IP and the Bioware name recognition near it's peak as well as the massive marketing campaign it's not really comparable, it was also the largest budget mmo in existence and the strongest combined brand power to grace an mmo..

GW2 was however leagues better recieved than swtor was and post launch sales infer that, Considering the most a pc game has sold in that period of time is 6 million (released in far more territories than gw2 was and the biggest in pc game history), there's no way you can infer it so far as mediocre or bad.

"Obviously terrible" is conjecture, as well as subscription numbers total, as nobody really has that information.  In comparison... GW2 went "F2P" after the initial box sale - hence its payment model.  Alternatively, we have no idea how the switch to F2P actually impacts SWTORs revenue... or their current playerbase.  This isn't an apples to apples situation... 

Many games have gone F2P, yet they are still active and generate revenue... how much revenue?  Who knows,  but "obviously" profitable for them to still be running.

• bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,277Member Uncommon

Here's what it is.

Anet has found a message for a market.

A lot of boxes have been sold.  

There is still a significant number of people playing. 

What I don't understand is why hasn't the stock gone up.

What I don't know is cost of production, how is the cash shop doing. 

What I think is that the 5+ year production is more than what most orginally thought, and retention is lower than what was expected by the majority of the mmorpg community.

• orsonstfuorsonstfu Belaton, LAPosts: 203Member

I'd give the game a 7 out of 10 for the leveling experience until you hit max level. Then I would rate the game a 1 for having no end game goals to attain and a 1 out of 10 for longevity and replayability.

(This is coming from someone who had his Twilight precursor on day 4 of the games launch.)

• botrytisbotrytis In Flux, MIPosts: 2,567Member
    Originally posted by orsonstfu

I'd give the game a 7 out of 10 for the leveling experience until you hit max level. Then I would rate the game a 1 for having no end game goals to attain and a 1 out of 10 for longevity and replayability.

(This is coming from someone who had his Twilight precursor on day 4 of the games launch.)

Or someone who has no life - 4 days after launch? I have just over 300 hours into my level 80 with only 2 pieces of Karma armor so far. People who play 10-18 hours a day every day will burn out on ANY game.

"In 50 years, when I talk to my grandchildren about these days, I'll make sure to mention what an accomplished MMO player I was. They are going to be so proud ..."
    by Naqaj - 7/17/2013 MMORPG.com forum

Originally posted by bcbully

Here's what it is.

Anet has found a message for a market.

A lot of boxes have been sold.  

There is still a significant number of people playing. 

What I don't understand is why hasn't the stock gone up.

What I don't know is cost of production, how is the cash shop doing. 

What I think is that the 5+ year production is more than what most orginally thought. Retention is lower than what was expected by the majority of the mmorpg community.  

NCSoft isn't only Arenanet.

Arenanet has between 250 and 300 employees now.

On average, over the 5 years of development, lets consider 200 people, earning an average of $75K/year, which is on the high side for a game designer. Some people will earn more than that, but those 200 people aren't all game designers and will earn a lot less.

That is $15M a year or $75M development cost.

Considering the 2M sales far exceeded their expectations, I doubt the budget was over $30-50M.

They recently have sold 3 Millions, half of that from their own site, earning them something like $50. The rest lets assume they make $20 (30%).

1.5M*50= $75M

1.5M*20= $30M

Even if the budget was $75M, they already made a $30M. If the budget was $30M then they made $75M.

Then you have gems.

Lets assume around 10% of the players buy around $10/month in gems. That would be 300K players, but let make it 100K players (or 3% of all boxes sales).

100K*($10*4 months)= Another $4M.

I'll dig some NCSoft reports to check the amount of money Anet was draining.

Brb.

Originally posted by maskedweasel

"is that all?"

"Obviously terrible" is conjecture, as well as subscription numbers total, as nobody really has that information.  In comparison... GW2 went "F2P" after the initial box sale - hence its payment model.  Alternatively, we have no idea how the switch to F2P actually impacts SWTORs revenue... or their current playerbase.  This isn't an apples to apples situation... 

Many games have gone F2P, yet they are still active and generate revenue... how much revenue?  Who knows,  but "obviously" profitable for them to still be running.

Umm no... I'm not sure if you can tell the differene but f2p effectively kills box sales as the game is free, logic would dictate, that the sales would have had to have been bad and a rapid decline in subscriptions in order for them to do so.  Also no numbers stated by the company essentially in this situation so heavily implies that they were bad that it could not be so obvious without them telling by how much. GW2 is not F2P, it doesn't even have a free trial you still require to buy the box which is actually fairly expensive in comparison to most pc games. One has box sale revenue the other does not (or not very much). One has a barrier to playing the game another does not.

Originally posted by botrytis

Or someone who has no life - 4 days after launch? I have just over 300 hours into my level 80 with only 2 pieces of Karma armor so far. People who play 10-18 hours a day every day will burn out on ANY game.

You really shouldn't try to read into someone else's life and make calls. I made the precursor before I could even use it by making an excel spread sheet and tracking everything that I tossed into it. Hundreds of items in that time frame.

I work and can play while at work. Your life argument has no merit at all and it makes your argument very weak.

It wasn't about being burned out. It was taking off the rose tinted goggles that I had on and looking at the things that I didn't like.

Originally posted by botrytis

You really shouldn't try to read into someone else's life and make calls. I made the precursor before I could even use it by making an excel spread sheet and tracking everything that I tossed into it. Hundreds of items in that time frame.

I work and can play while at work. Your life argument has no merit at all and it makes your argument very weak.

It wasn't about being burned out. It was taking off the rose tinted goggles that I had on and looking at the things that I didn't like.

Question what was your playtime on the game. because unless got to max level in less than 40 hours if that it fairly impossible to do that without a ridiclous proption of time but in. Rember there are only 24 hours in a day...

"is that all?"

Umm no... I'm not sure if you can tell the differene but f2p effectively kills box sales as the game is free, logic would dictate, that the sales would have had to have been bad and a rapid decline in subscriptions in order for them to do so.  Also no numbers stated by the company essentially in this situation so heavily implies that they were bad that it could not be so obvious without them telling by how much. GW2 is not F2P, it doesn't even have a free trial you still require to buy the box which is actually fairly expensive in comparison to most pc games. One has box sale revenue the other does not (or not very much). One has a barrier to playing the game another does not.

You clearly missed the point...  SWTOR had plenty of box sales prior to going F2P, plus subscriptions, and now they are F2P.    Games that go F2P aren't necessarily unsuccessful, and we have no idea of how successful SWTOR has or hasn't been.  Thats not "conjecture"  or "common sense"  thats fact.   No numbers stated by the company means very little, as in many cases NCSOFT never revels subscriber numbers, and much less costs on development... nor will GW2 reveal the amount of active players.  

Point being, we can sit here and pretend like we know what we're talking about, but my question stands,  profitability is what matters on a project to determine its success...  the point I made earlier,  even with GW1s amazing "17 billion boxxes zold!" (the amount doesn't matter)  they decrease in revenue per box sold.  In comparison to a subscription model,  or purchase - per - content model, that isn't necessarily the case.

Question what was your playtime on the game. because unless got to max level in less than 40 hours if that it fairly impossible to do that without a ridiclous proption of time but in. Rember there are only 24 hours in a day...

I fail to see how that effects anything.  I played the game a lot sure but it's context of having no life that has no merit.

I had the ability to play that while working a 12 hour on call job 4-5 days a week. I can do it because my job is at times boring and I play games at work. My wife also plays and we were rolling through the content together with 6 of our RL friends.  So the no life issue is gone in my mind because of this. Did I play many hours a day over the course of the first 4 days sure did.

This was my magic combo on the 4th day to get my precursor: Carrion Verdant Warhammer, Travelers Orrian Smasher of Energy. Carrion Verdant Rifle of Corruption, Shaman Norn Axe of Energy.

"is that all?"

You clearly missed the point...  SWTOR had plenty of box sales prior to going F2P, plus subscriptions, and now they are F2P.    Games that go F2P aren't necessarily unsuccessful, and we have no idea of how successful SWTOR has or hasn't been.  Thats not "conjecture"  or "common sense"  thats fact.   No numbers stated by the company means very little, as in many cases NCSOFT never revels subscriber numbers, and much less costs on development... nor will GW2 reveal the amount of active players.  

Point being, we can sit here and pretend like we know what we're talking about, but my question stands,  profitability is what matters on a project to determine its success...  the point I made earlier,  even with GW1s amazing "17 billion boxxes zold!" (the amount doesn't matter)  they decrease in revenue per box sold.  In comparison to a subscription model,  or purchase - per - content model, that isn't necessarily the case.

GW2 also has gems.

And then you have Arenanet has been growing since GW1.

Bioware started to layoff people in April 2012.

• OziiusOziius Baltimore, MDPosts: 1,388Member Uncommon
    Guild Wars 2 has sold over 3 million copies since its August, according to an update on the MMO’s website from director Colin Johanson, who also outlined the team’s 2013 plans for the title starting with expanding and leveraging the achievement system.

So now that the game has sold 3 million, what are peoples opinions on it's relative success or dissapointments in comparison to recent themepark mmo's and people, still playing there views on the state of the game.

I quit playing months ago. It was ok.. nothing ground breaking for me. I'm having more fun back in Wow and just started messing around in eq2 again lol

• IstavaanIstavaan CorkPosts: 1,350Member

how many albums has justine bieber sold?

Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

"is that all?"

GW2 also has gems.

And then you have Arenanet has been growing since GW1.

Bioware started to layoff people in April 2012.

GW2 does have gems, but again, we don't know how that plays out in comparison, when you look at revenue.

EA lays off tons of people in different studios everywhere,   NCSoft does just as much, which Arenanet is a part of.  NCSoft will choose what studio needs to layoff who as they have done in previous years.