Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Editorial] Star Wars: The Old Republic: Give BioWare a Break

Comments

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by Razeekster

My problem isn't with Bioware, it's with many of it's players who are saying being gay friendly makes the game non-family oriented. Since when did the gender that someone loves make a game "unfriendly" for families. I guess there are still a lot of bigots out there that don't know how to teach their children that all love, no matter what kind it is, is still love.

It's simple really...Not everyone believes that "all love" is OK. I would never teach my child that a same sex relationship is OK since it isn't natural. I am sure I will be scolded for posting this, but I know that this was directed toward my comments. And if free speech is welcome here, I am sure I am doing the right thing by defending my beliefs just like everyone on here that is pro same sex.

• Bastian_StarBastian_Star Member Posts: 36
    Originally posted by bigsmiff

My problem isn't with Bioware, it's with many of it's players who are saying being gay friendly makes the game non-family oriented. Since when did the gender that someone loves make a game "unfriendly" for families. I guess there are still a lot of bigots out there that don't know how to teach their children that all love, no matter what kind it is, is still love.

It's simple really...Not everyone believes that "all love" is OK. I would never teach my child that a same sex relationship is OK since it isn't natural. I am sure I will be scolded for posting this, but I know that this was directed toward my comments. And if free speech is welcomed here, I am sure I am doing the right thing by defending my beliefs just like everyone on here that is pro same sex.

I may not agree with you but I totally support your right to express your beliefs. The important thing is you were respectful about it.

• mnemic666mnemic666 Member UncommonPosts: 224

It's simple really...Not everyone believes that "all love" is OK. I would never teach my child that a same sex relationship is OK since it isn't natural. I am sure I will be scolded for posting this, but I know that this was directed toward my comments. And if free speech is welcomed here, I am sure I am doing the right thing by defending my beliefs just like everyone on here that is pro same sex.

It occurs in nature in other species, it's natural. A dolphin in the wild can't do anything unnatural, by definition everything it does is what a natural dolphin would do.

Beyond that, not everyone believed that mixing black and whites was "ok", but I'd challenge you to find more than a minority who hold that same view today.

You're free to defend your beliefs, and the rest of the internet is free to call you a small minded bigot (because you are).

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654

It occurs in nature in other species, it's natural. A dolphin in the wild can't do anything unnatural, by definition everything it does is what a natural dolphin would do.

Beyond that, not everyone believed that mixing black and whites was "ok", but I'd challenge you to find more than a minority who hold that same view today.

You're free to defend your beliefs, and the rest of the internet is free to call you a small minded bigot (because you are).

Some people believe that they are above animals.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    personally i think this type of stuff should be kept out of a game..it has no buisness there.you are only asking for trouble and that is what bioware have got.i am neither pro gay or anti-gay..tbh i couldnt give a shit..but given bioware's attitude towards its community they get what they deserve..let the sub drops commence.
    Originally posted by NorseGod

Fun fact: We're not. We are still animals, just animals with highly developed brains.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by Cod_Eye
    Sounds like the OP is on their payroll.

It took you until this "editorial" to figure that out? ;)

Originally posted by kevjards
    personally i think this type of stuff should be kept out of a game..it has no buisness there.you are only asking for trouble and that is what bioware have got.i am neither pro gay or anti-gay..tbh i couldnt give a shit..but given bioware's attitude towards its community they get what they deserve..let the sub drops commence.

Why shouldn't it be in a game? Heterosexual romance is in games. Violence is in games. Death. Torture. Slavery. Racism. All manner of morally and ethically questionable is explored in gaming, so why would homosexuality need to be excluded from this? Games are more than just "simple fun" now. Some deal with more complex issues, so it's expected that they can and will go down roads that occasionally make people feel "uncomfortable", and feeling uncomfortable is a good thing. I felt uncomfortable as hell playing through Spec Ops, and it was one of the more rewarding experiences I've had in a game lately.

Originally posted by mnemic666

Fun fact: We're not. We are still animals, just animals with highly developed brains.

If you choose to believe that...

Originally posted by Volgore
    Originally posted by Cod_Eye
    Sounds like the OP is on their payroll.

It took you until this "editorial" to figure that out? ;)

Or is posting a different viewpoint? It is possible to defend a few aspects of BioWare's handling of SWTOR, even if you dislike the game. I'm extremely critical of BioWare Austin, SWTOR, and how the game has been handled on the whole, however I fully support them implementing this feature and expanding upon it, and have voiced that opinion in multiple places. Does that mean I'm on their payroll, despite the remaining 95% of my comments about the studio/game being negative?

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

It's simple really...Not everyone believes that "all love" is OK. I would never teach my child that a same sex relationship is OK since it isn't natural. I am sure I will be scolded for posting this, but I know that this was directed toward my comments. And if free speech is welcome here, I am sure I am doing the right thing by defending my beliefs just like everyone on here that is pro same sex.

The question is would you teach your child that SGRs are not ok? Say a relative was homosexual, would you keep your child away from that relative? Just wondering..

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

You can't choose to believe facts or not, facts exist regardless. We are animals with highly developed brains. There's no real debate to be had there. So if you don't believe it, you're rejecting a fact.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664
    Originally posted by Kaynos1972
    What does sexual orientation has to do with a game anyway ?  Can you keep that kind of stuff outside of gaming.

You know what an RPG is right? Role playing game.  Relationships are part of it (at least for bioware games), so since not everyone is hetrosexual, sexual orientation has everything to do it.

Although I agree with people who say the devs could have spent their time better. There is a lot Tor needs that I would place above this.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I can give Bioware a break for Makeb. They are at least trying, sort of. Their execution is pretty lacking I think, but they are making an effort, and they will be continuing that effort by integrating those options into the rest of the game.

I can't really give them a break for most of the rest of the game though. It doesn't matter how friendly they are to any given community, most of the game is pretty weak.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Why shouldn't it be in a game? Heterosexual romance is in games. Violence is in games. Death. Torture. Slavery. Racism. All manner of morally and ethically questionable is explored in gaming, so why would homosexuality need to be excluded from this? Games are more than just "simple fun" now. Some deal with more complex issues, so it's expected that they can and will go down roads that occasionally make people feel "uncomfortable", and feeling uncomfortable is a good thing. I felt uncomfortable as hell playing through Spec Ops, and it was one of the more rewarding experiences I've had in a game lately.

precicely for thsis reason..it creates a divide..there are some that believe homosexuality is wrong..there are some that dont mind.some people are brought up to believe its wrong etc etc..my point is this..while you dont have this type of pandering in game you do not have that divide..just look at some of the comments on here and their forums.tbh i think its a good marketing gimmick for them..if it works..it may just backfire on them though.

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by Falcon451

I do disagree with the way a good portion of people post on the internet. Going berzerk over little things, comparing people to a certain well known dictator simply because they changed the balance of one power of their favorite class, wishing that devs would "die in a fire", etc.

However, I do not feel that either EA or BioWare deserve "a break" where SWTOR is concerned. Prior to launch many, many people warned BioWare about the exact problems that the game ended up having when launched. The BioWare devs arrogantly ignored feedback that they asked for while having parties and getting SWTOR tatoos and bragging that SWTOR was going to be the MMO messiah, while EA suits proclaimed that they were "gunning for WoW."

And this expansion shows that they still lack the ability to foresee the logical consequences of their actions. They deliberately put SGR's into one little section of the game and then they're shocked when people refer to Makeb as a closet. Really? They couldn't see that coming?

A major part of games theory isn't just the math that makes up power balance, it's also about human behavior and predicting what people will do. The BioWare team just keeps on proving that they lack that skill.

No. EA/BioWare deserves no breaks. People should keep on hammering them, in a calm and adult manner of course, until they finally learn to listen to their customers.

I like this game, but this post nails it. Well said.

• bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    I gave it a break, a long permanent break.

burnnnnnnnnnnn'd like a bawsss

Originally posted by Distopia

The question is would you teach your child that SGRs are not ok? Say a relative was homosexual, would you keep your child away from that relative? Just wondering..

My son is now a US Marine and makes his own life decisions. I feel that I have done my job as a parent in raising him to be an honorable and respectful young man. He has asked me my opinion on homosexuality and I have told him my thoughts on the subject. That is where the discussion permanently ended. He is now a heterosexual adult and is free to make his own mind up on the subject without anymore input from me.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by mnemic666Fun fact: We're not. We are still animals, just animals with highly developed brains.

You can't choose to believe facts or not, facts exist regardless. We are animals with highly developed brains. There's no real debate to be had there. So if you don't believe it, you're rejecting a fact.

That's an opinion. Just because you say it's a fact doesn't make it fact. If we were just like animals we would be living in caves grunting at each other. I'll believe we are on the same level as animals when a dolphin builds a rocket and lands on the moon.

Anyway I reiterate...

Please fix SWTOR Bioware, fix the real problems, not issues that clearly are just used to promote the game.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

precicely for thsis reason..it creates a divide..there are some that believe homosexuality is wrong..there are some that dont mind.some people are brought up to believe its wrong etc etc..my point is this..while you dont have this type of pandering in game you do not have that divide..just look at some of the comments on here and their forums.

That is the most intelligent comment yet. Very well said!

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654

Nobody is rejecting that as fact.

Some choose to live above animals. Pigs roll around in their own poop, should we do that too? Dogs eat other dogs poop.

Excuse me if I choose to live above animals.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/

precicely for thsis reason..it creates a divide..there are some that believe homosexuality is wrong..there are some that dont mind.some people are brought up to believe its wrong etc etc..my point is this..while you dont have this type of pandering in game you do not have that divide..just look at some of the comments on here and their forums.

So, we should never attempt to deal with any controversial topics in video games ever? That would relegate them to mindless entertainment rather than an engaging form of media that has the potential to stimulate and provoke thought.

I'm offended by the blatant violence in first person shooters, and that violence is causing a divide in the US due to current events. Should we not make any more violent first person shooters?

What a cop out argument.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

First lets start with the obvious, Bioware deserves a break because this isn't Bioware. The talent and the leaders are gone. This is a group doing what they are told to do by EA. So yes, Bioware deserves a break, but thats because it's gone. Cutting some slack to the group making all these mistakes, well thats up for each individual to decide. I choose no. 

Secondly, we aren't talking about this as their only mistake or mistakes. I have a better movie title to use "EAwares series of unfortunate decisions" though thats not exactly the title of Daniel Handlers (Lemony Snicket) book/movie I believe it is far more fitting. Players would likely cut them a break if they have not repeatedly made decisions that caused them or others to ask players to cut them a break. When they make a mistake they don't even like to aknowledge it unless they absolutely have to. Absolutely have to means they have lost a significant enough amount of money. Then they like to come out and ask or have others ask players to cut them a break rather than fix anything lol. 

Originally posted by Aeonblades

That's an opinion. Just because you say it's a fact doesn't make it fact. If we were just like animals we would be living in caves grunting at each other. I'll believe we are on the same level as animals when a dolphin builds a rocket and lands on the moon.

Anyway I reiterate...

Please fix SWTOR Bioware, fix the real problems, not issues that clearly are just used to promote the game.

http://kids.discovery.com/tell-me/animals/mammals/are-humans-considered-animals

Here, maybe this website will be at an appropriate education level to help you understand "facts".

So, we should never attempt to deal with any controversial topics in video games ever? That would relegate them to mindless entertainment rather than an engaging form of media that has the potential to stimulate and provoke thought.

I'm offended by the blatant violence in first person shooters, and that violence is causing a divide in the US due to current events. Should we not make any more violent first person shooters?

What a cop out argument.

has i said they should be kept out of game..also you say your offended by the violence in first person shooters..well there is violence in mmo's..why do you play them..what do you think killing a mob with magic missiles is?

This discussion has been closed.