Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anybody else think it's useless to join the other two factions?

SincerelySincerely Member UncommonPosts: 22

Since we all know how Elder Scrolls Online is a prequel, and that the empire is "segregated" at this time... Doesn't that mean it's obvious the Daggerfall Covenant wins? Why would you even join the other two factions then?

or am I missing something here? Discuss?

Comments

• SupportPlayerMMSupportPlayerMM Member Posts: 310
    You join the other factions because you want to PvP
  • SincerelySincerely Member UncommonPosts: 22
    True, I guess...but it kinda sucks thinking lore-wise, you're faction loses...
  • SupportPlayerMMSupportPlayerMM Member Posts: 310
    Maybe they'll do that Comic Book, Star Trek trend where they create completely new universes based on an event that was altered...
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    It's not like people will come to your real life house and burn it down when your faction loses in a video game.
  • SincerelySincerely Member UncommonPosts: 22

That sounds like an extremely lazy thing for the writers to do.

They shoud've made it so that the three factions were fighting about conquest or whatever, but something else that doesn't have an obvious ending in the current games.

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Define "loses" exactly. A lot happens in 1000 years.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• I don't think anyone really cares who "wins" later in the timeline since it's not really relevant to this game.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Err the imperials united the continent pre Morrowind.

It's not united at the time of skyrim though, black marsh and vardenfell have seceeded
  • deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

Dont think  "who wins" in over 1k years will make any difference to what faction anyone picks tbh

The fact that the Empire loses in star wars didnt stop that faction from being by far the most popular in swtor

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by deakon

Dont think  "who wins" in over 1k years will make any difference to what faction anyone picks tbh

The fact that the Empire loses in star wars didnt stop that faction from being by far the most popular in swtor

The empire lost?  I'm assuming that happend in a novel that took place after the events of the first trilogy? 

Or are you saying that based on the movies?

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

Guys understand that MMOs in general don't and can't follow the single player story and lore. Its not possible and don't expect anything better then the single player games. Its different game in teh same universe so apart from the locations and some "hystorical" places and facts the game couldnt be implemented in the series.

If they change the names you wont even realize its ES.

• AbrexusAbrexus Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Originally posted by Sincerely

Since we all know how Elder Scrolls Online is a prequel, and that the empire is "segregated" at this time... Doesn't that mean it's obvious the Daggerfall Covenant wins? Why would you even join the other two factions then?

Well, I see a large number of players driving German tanks in WoT even though Germany lost WW2...so yes, you're missing something here.

• Take care, young ladies, and value your wine.
    • Be watchful of young men in their velvet prime.
    • Deeply they'll swallow from your finest kegs,
    • Then swiftly be gone, leaving bitter dregs.
  • MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by mazut

Guys understand that MMOs in general don't and can't follow the single player story and lore. Its not possible and don't expect anything better then the single player games. Its different game in teh same universe so apart from the locations and some "hystorical" places and facts the game couldnt be implemented in the series.

Sorry but your entire statement is bollocks.

Story and lore is the easiest to transfer between a SPG and MMO, the only thing you probably wouldn't transfer is any personalisation. So instead of saying 'Ragehard the leet' was the chosen one who saved all Tamriel you will simply be known in the lore as 'The great Hero or Tamriel'. That way everyone that happened to have been 'that' hero isn't complaining that their character wasn't called'Ragehard'.

The difficulty is the mechanics and gameplay of of each genre requireing differing things...but story and lore, that is easy as it doesn't change between genre.

Originally posted by Abrexus

Well, I see a large number of players driving German tanks in WoT even though Germany lost WW2...so yes, you're missing something here.

Exactly.

He is missing the fact that, despite this is an MMO with a living, breathing world, it is a static themepark design where the war will continue indefinately, time will not move forward and you will eventually repeatedly retake the same keeps over and over and over.

The covenant does win but the TESO timeline will never advance to a place where you need to worry.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

i also played sith whenever lucasarts gave me the chance.

chosing your faction is not always based on "win" or lose.

some people do so because they like their choice (eg, the races, look or basic statement of the faction, or just dislike the alternatives.

ps: i also doubt we will reach the time of the elder scrolls too soon...

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

if Zenimax mirror all classes in each factions (for pvp balance purposes) then theres no point in having factions. As long as each faction is different enough form each other (class performance, abilities, race lore, etc) i would roll many characters and to join all 3 factions.

If they want to mirror all classes for faction vs faction pvp then they can do it exclusively for faction vs faction pvp. Once im out of the pvp cyrodil area then i dont want mirroring classes in different factions. Too much balance / mirroring kills the diversity in every game.

Originally posted by rojo6934

if Zenimax mirror all classes in each factions (for pvp balance purposes) then theres no point in having factions. As long as each faction is different enough form each other (class performance, abilities, race lore, etc) i would roll many characters and to join all 3 factions.

If they want to mirror all classes for faction vs faction pvp then they can do it exclusively for faction vs faction pvp. Once im out of the pvp cyrodil area then i dont want mirroring classes in different factions. Too much balance / mirroring kills the diversity in every game.

Never seen a game caused problems by having balanced classes and mirroring. Now if you want to have problems have imbalance and pvp in the same game then you will not be able to get a word in edgeways for all the whinny pvp'ers who lose.

If there are such things as classes then the only balance I need is that 2 fighters are balanced against each other or 2 priests against each other but a priest against a fighter is unbalanced. I want same class balance but each class to have strength's and weaknesses.

Let all factions have access to all races and all classes and all skills and let the imbance lie on what skills each player brings to the table, how good they are at what they do and what kind of match up you bring to the fight.

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

Sorry but your entire statement is bollocks.

Story and lore is the easiest to transfer between a SPG and MMO, the only thing you probably wouldn't transfer is any personalisation. So instead of saying 'Ragehard the leet' was the chosen one who saved all Tamriel you will simply be known in the lore as 'The great Hero or Tamriel'. That way everyone that happened to have been 'that' hero isn't complaining that their character wasn't called'Ragehard'.

The difficulty is the mechanics and gameplay of of each genre requireing differing things...but story and lore, that is easy as it doesn't change between genre.

You say that and yet all info so far point thet they changed so much and invented new lore just to implement (maybe not even siccessful) a MMO into the world. And there are many similar games that failed or changed almost everything... yeah easiest thing to do... sure

• SelfDestructProSelfDestructPro Member UncommonPosts: 323
    I don't pay any attention to lore.  When I get into a new game I pick which ever faction/race looks most interesting at the time.  I wouldn't just pick a faction because I know that according to lore, they win in the end.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

Never seen a game caused problems by having balanced classes and mirroring. Now if you want to have problems have imbalance and pvp in the same game then you will not be able to get a word in edgeways for all the whinny pvp'ers who lose.

If there are such things as classes then the only balance I need is that 2 fighters are balanced against each other or 2 priests against each other but a priest against a fighter is unbalanced. I want same class balance but each class to have strength's and weaknesses.

Let all factions have access to all races and all classes and all skills and let the imbance lie on what skills each player brings to the table, how good they are at what they do and what kind of match up you bring to the fight.

yes i agree with all factions having access to all classes. Apparently its 3 race per faction so i doubt on that one. I am not a pvper so thats why i say they can mirror the same class between factions only for instanced pvp (cyrodil map). WHat i dont want is to have a warrior in faction A that has exactly the same abilities (with different names and icons) than the warrior in Faction B, and (i hated that in Swtor where a sith warrior was exactly a mirror to a Jedi knight). They can go instead the way Daoc went, which each faction had a warrior-ish class that was totally different from each other (warrior, fighter, etc).

If i have 3 warriors, one in each faction and all are mirrors.... whats the point... they didnt learn combat at the same school, they come from different continents so they should have at least varied abilities even if they are the same prototype class (at the very least, have enough racial offensive abilities to differentiate the class from other factions....)

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

The same reason people play Germans in Wold of tanks or WW2 online?  Klingons in STO, Monster play in LOTRO.  

Why do people continue to live on earth knowing the sun will eventually cool down and freeze us and then explode and burn our frozen corpses?

The game will not take you to the conclusion.   The plot will not get that far etc.  I can see how it might bother some people but ther are many many others who like to play the under dog or the cool bad guys etc.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

You say that and yet all info so far point thet they changed so much and invented new lore just to implement (maybe not even siccessful) a MMO into the world. And there are many similar games that failed or changed almost everything... yeah easiest thing to do... sure

They have made changes to get the PvP to work. It wasn't neccessary. It is a poor design choice plain and simple.

They didn't need yo make the 3 factions but in doing so they had to split the races up and make stupid combinations and invent new lore to make it work. They also had to block off 60% of the world to any single character to make the faction PvP work.

All because they wanted to have 3 faction PvP.

It isn't the lore that is the problem, it is the choice to design the entire game around 3 faction PvP first and put everything else into making it work when it wasn't needed.

Why not have 9 factions, allow aliances to take place naturally?

Why not have 3 factions but don't specifically link a race to the faction.

Every problem I see with the game design stems from the 'DAOC had 3 factions and people loved it, lets make TESO 3 faction PvP".

Wasn't needed, causes problems, screws with other area's of the game. And totally uneccessary!

If i have 3 warriors, one in each faction and all are mirrors.... whats the point... they didnt learn combat at the same school, they come from different continents so they should have at least varied abilities even if they are the same prototype class (at the very least, have enough racial offensive abilities to differentiate the class from other factions....)

Say you have 1 warrior in each faction...

Warrior 1 is called a Berserker and his special attack is called 'wild swing'. It takes 20 stamina to power-up, take 1 second to activate and does 50 damage. The action is of a guy swinging a sword wildy about his head.

Warrior 2 is called Duelist and his special attack is called 'feint'. It takes 20 stamina to power-up, takes 1 second to activate and does 50 damage. The action is of a guy making a high attack then suddenly changing to a mid level thrust.

Warrior 3 is called Sentinel and his special attack is called 'double blow'. It takes 20 stamina to power-up, takes 1 second to activate and does 50 damage. The action is of a guy swinging his weapon in a double arc, connecting 2 times.

Essentially. The skills are the same but have a different 'skin' which would be linked to race.

This kind of balance I have absolutely no problem with. It provides the balance of skills being balanced but allows for them to fight with totally different styles. The cost and effect is the same but the appearance of the skill is different.

Of course the problem with balance is when you introduce totally unique skills or abilities.

How do you weight up the ability to absorb 50 points of magical damage against the ability to breath underwater?

That is where the true art of balancing comes in, the rest should simply be stylised. At least that is my opinion on it.

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by Uhwop
    Originally posted by deakon

The empire lost?  I'm assuming that happend in a novel that took place after the events of the first trilogy? 

Or are you saying that based on the movies?

The fact that the Sith empire doesnt exist anymore by the time the movies take place tells me the empire lost sometime in the 3.5k years between the game and the prequels

• ScaryMonkScaryMonk Member Posts: 97

An odd argument, its like refusing to play a german tank in WoT, or any sword and sandals game because one day people will have guns.