Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Violence and Video games, here we go again

ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Violence and Video games, here we go again

Video games do not put guns into their player’s hands. They do not make parents want to leave their guns accessible to teenagers.

This argument has been going on for decades. I loved GTA, remember the storm over that series? But it never made me want to steal cars, deal drugs or visit a prostitute.

Politicians always need to find a solution, even when you don't need one. They need to be seen to do the right thing, which too often does not help. This is a problem today more than ever, with the news media clammering for answers and 24hr news raising those calls to fervour pitch.

I don't know enough about the gun issue to make a comment on that, but I do know video games have been a scapegoat for years. Politicians and even more so the media have to blame someone.

Comments

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

I think TV has more influence than Videogames. There is just way too much of it these days, and backstapping, and even the good guys of the show are at each others throats.

In all the years I have played games and watched TV, I have never had the desire to act out a videogame, whereas TV I do all the time, because it is more real with real people, and not pixels.

In The Mentalist, he kills a guy he thinks is his arch enemy, which is not, and then gets away with it. He has to get away with it, otherwise the show would end!

If any of the Law shows is any indication of real law, too many guilty people get away with murder, and innocent people go to jail, all because of the game lawyers play in court.

Videogames have helped me spot details, and be on the look out for trouble, basically be more observant, and I did prevent a real crime of fraud from happening, and I put that down from playing videogames.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by superniceguy

I think TV has more influence than Videogames. There is just way too much of it these days, and backstapping, and even the good guys of the show are at each others throats.

i think both mediums de-sensitize people

but i agree tv / film is more impressionable than video games

example

-  teen killer from columbine massacre was supposedly inspired by Neo of the Matrix

what have video games inspired?  cosplayers?

the only videogame violence ive read about is people taking game disputes to real life

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    The NRA has been directing the attention to video games...
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Scapegoating has taken place of personal responsibility in western culture it would seem. Laying blame on videogames or even guns on heinous crimes is the same thing as blaming automobiles or even alcohol for drunk driving. Could a very violent videogame illicit feelings of violence in someone? Sure, but a mentally capable person understands that what takes place in a videogame isn't real, and that knowledge of fantasy can allow people to safely vent frustrations. However, a mentally unstable person could not realize where the fantasy ends and real life begins and take inappropriate actions.

Per usual, the most logical step in fixing violence issues in our country is ignored, because mental health issues aren't taken seriously in our culture.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Eluldor

didnt know but after you mentioned this, i checked recent articles and saw this

NRA's video game smacks of hypocrisy

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/16/opinion/ferguson-nra-video-games/

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

if video games promoted violence, why didnt the government blame Microsoft Flight Simulator on 9/11?

mmmh....

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Seems to me the problem is adult children 18 plus, under grads, grad students living in there mother and father's basement and off there health insurance. Or am i being crule too Mentaly challenged young people, who there whole life probaly have not fit in.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • SoulSurferSoulSurfer Member UncommonPosts: 1,024

Sorry, I could not resist.

When I was yonger about 10 I knew guns meant death, and when my uncle came to visit and said someone had been waving a gun around on the streets it scared me.

I think videogames takes real guns off the street more, as when I was kid my friend had a gun (a BB gun I think), for tin can shooting, plus other weapons including shurikens, which made me freak, but there was not these awesome games back to substitue the desire for wanting a gun, and this was before the ZX Spectrum and C64. Maybe my friend would not have wanted a real gun if we grew up with the games of today.

• DarthMajinDarthMajin Member Posts: 92

In all the years I have played games and watched TV, I have never had the desire to act out a videogame, whereas TV I do all the time, because it is more real with real people, and not pixels.

In The Mentalist, he kills a guy he thinks is his arch enemy, which is not, and then gets away with it. He has to get away with it, otherwise the show would end!

If any of the Law shows is any indication of real law, too many guilty people get away with murder, and innocent people go to jail, all because of the game lawyers play in court.

Videogames have helped me spot details, and be on the look out for trouble, basically be more observant, and I did prevent a real crime of fraud from happening, and I put that down from playing videogames.

Violence on TV, violence in videogames, it doesn't matter. The main fault for ANY child getting hold of adult content is their parents/guardians. Parents either don't understand or just don't care about ratings. They think their 10 year old should be able to play Call of Duty. If the government wants to crack down on the so called "videogame violence" getting to kids, they need to start punishing parents for letting their children have it. Instead of taking that damn $500mil or so that Obama spent on research into videogame violence, use that money to educate parents. I have played violent videogames since I was like 8 years old, and I am not violent nor do I want to, or have thoughts of, hurting others. Parents need to stop blaming media and start looking at themselves.

• RealPvPisFPSRealPvPisFPS Member Posts: 42

Unfortunately all forms of media have desensitized the public to violence, sex, language and gore which has been the case for many decades now.  

There is no way for anyone to give a 100% diagnoses that states the reason behind their insanity was any form of media.  Out of a population of 300 something million in this country you're gonna have some nut cases here and there. If media was the reason there would be millions of people performing the same type of acts so blaming media is not acceptable nor a proper diagnoses.

The reasons for some of these massacres were later revealed as bullying, mental instability, (not mental insanity from playing games or watching any form of media) but born with a mental impairment.

There is one fact with most of these massacres and that is most were young guys in their early twenties.

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Originally posted by Eluldor

Blaming inanimate objects for crime is stupid, I agree.

Look at what else the NRA proposed and the is being implemented across the country today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-phl2d_n60

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    Originally posted by Elsabolts

Seems to me the problem is adult children 18 plus, under grads, grad students living in there mother and father's basement and off there health insurance. Or am i being crule too Mentaly challenged young people, who there whole life probaly have not fit in.

Just think these mass shooters haven't even reached their mid 30's which is when they will turn to serial killings instead of these childish outbursts. I think the upcoming generation is going to be seriously fucked up. These 18-25 year olds today just seem completely lost, and unable to cope with life. Colleges have reported a record number of students in the last 10 years requesting psychiatric help because they think college is too hard, and can't deal with it.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Makes me wonder what games people played, what music people listened to and what tv shows they watched in Victorian times when the murder rate over here was more than 20 times what it Is today.
  • oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by DarthMajin

Violence on TV, violence in videogames, it doesn't matter. The main fault for ANY child getting hold of adult content is their parents/guardians. Parents either don't understand or just don't care about ratings. They think their 10 year old should be able to play Call of Duty. If the government wants to crack down on the so called "videogame violence" getting to kids, they need to start punishing parents for letting their children have it. Instead of taking that damn $500mil or so that Obama spent on research into videogame violence, use that money to educate parents. I have played violent videogames since I was like 8 years old, and I am not violent nor do I want to, or have thoughts of, hurting others. Parents need to stop blaming media and start looking at themselves.

AMEN bro :)

Originally posted by DarthMajin

I am not just talking about children. Personally TV influences me, but I know what is good and bad, and only follow the good stuff, like acting like Adrian Paul the Highlander being 400 years old, mature and who knows it all, to chat up girls and it worked, but videogames does not influence my life at all, in any way.

All the TV lately is getting worse, and shows like Criminal Minds should not be shown before 9pm, yet it is. The Watershed for programmes seems to be getting more and more relaxed.

TV needs more clean fun shows like what was on in the 80s, where the good guys were the good guys and the bad guys were the bad guys, and good guys win and bad guys lose, and good guys do not go killing other people and getting away with it, like Patrick jane did in The Mentalist, and that is also being shown in the day time too. Even Adults may use that as an example, to try and get away with murder, or pretend to be insane. Kids are less likely to put that much thought into it.

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Makes me wonder what games people played, what music people listened to and what tv shows they watched in Victorian times when the murder rate over here was more than 20 times what it Is today.

It was probably because they didn't drink water, as it was polluted in the larger cities.  They only drank beer (the process purified the water portion) and the dehydration and DT's that were the end result of imbibing too much probably caused all the violence. 

Originally posted by rojo6934

if video games promoted violence, why didnt the government blame Microsoft Flight Simulator on 9/11?

mmmh....

Or boxcutters. Why haven't boxcutters been banned for killing 3,000 people within minutes?

Inanimate objects > nutjobs? Makes perfect sense.

Don't tell anyone 38,000 deaths from cars happened last year, we'll be riding in horse and buggies again. Or that more baseball bats have killed people in the US than rifles. I like baseball, I would hate to see baseball banned because a nutjob killed someone with a baseball bat at a higher rate than rifles.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/

in those times i think the UK was fighting the russians and taking land from africa??

guess they where playing risk in those days.....for real :p

Haven't you heard? Nobody was ever murdered in mass before video games existed.

On a funny note, the people making these decisions for the rest of the country should know better, they were all alive during Victorian times! :P

• LienhartLienhart Member UncommonPosts: 662

I think America is completely backwards.

I've got nothing against violence but you mention violence, even on these boards, and no one seems to mind poor back alley hobo getting decapitated for no reason. Now...you mention a skimpy bikini plate girl or some Korean MMO with sexy females and O JESUS LORD INCOMING ASSHURT VIRGINS.

I really don't understand why considering that the pr0n here is bigger than every other country but Japan.

I live to go faster...or die trying.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Norse and many.of them share simmilar values to the victorians

well, i blame pong, the mother of all games :p

On a serious note tough.....i have been a horror freak and games since i was 9 years young (37 now) and the more voilence in movies and games...the more i like them. I real life i hate voilence tough....because games are "just" a hobby and they aint real....i love to roleplay a bad guy but in real life i am pretty nice to people :p

So games and voilence have abso-freakin lutly nothing to do with each other imho.

People who dont have a good grip on reality tough should not play violent games.....that's just asking for trouble.

I'm really tired of putting the blame on inanimate objects, "for the children". Do these people even know what the "children" are doing today? How many violent crimes will I read in the news today about "youths" have raped, pushed someone on subway tracks, rioted in mall, assaulted, murdered, etc etc?

Unfortunately, once they cross this line, they are deemed "underaged" and untouchable in court (with few exceptions).

In my opinion, I think that when the case arises that when the "children" are to young to be punished by the court, the parents should be going to prison. Clearly, their parents are not in their lives anyways.

Start charging the parents for these crimes their "children" commit.

Also, I don't think it's right to take property away from innocent citizens because of the actions of criminals. Criminals, not inanimate objects. That's just stupid talk and these people are in charge of our lives?

Why are we not talking about psycitropic drugs? What they do to these people while they are on them and when they stop taking them. The results so far have been obvious and clear to me. I don't know the facts, but why not look at this? I'm interested in knowing.

Or does that threaten the pharm companies by looking into all these drugs they push. Ever listen to the disclaimers at the end of their advertisements? Why would anyone take these psycotropic drugs in the first place? Are people that weak?

Something sensible and realistic needs to happen. I don't think we should all be deemed by the government as mass murderers for simply playing video games.

Taking rights and property away from innocent citizens will not fly.

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

I got a good laugh when some news story talked about how back in the day playing SimCity, we all didn't grow up wanting to become city planners...