Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Geographic Restriction?

stragen001stragen001 ReadingPosts: 1,720Member

I only just discovered this game, and after looking at various articles and videos I'm pretty psyched!

However, I went to the official site at defiance.com/en and it wont let me watch any of the previews for the show. I click on "explore the show" then click on the play icon on the video to play it and it says "this content is currently unavailable" and flashes up  Geographic Restriction - This content is not available in your location. I am in the UK.... which is one of the main markets for Defiance as the show will be broadcast on SyFy here too. 

What gives? As far as I know, the show will be broadcast on SyFy in the USA and in the UK simultaneously so why cant I view the previews? I hope there isnt going to be some sort of geographic lock down for the game too!

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

Comments

• SiphaedSiphaed Everywhere!Posts: 877Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by stragen001

I only just discovered this game, and after looking at various articles and videos I'm pretty psyched!

However, I went to the official site at defiance.com/en and it wont let me watch any of the previews for the show. I click on "explore the show" then click on the play icon on the video to play it and it says "this content is currently unavailable" and flashes up  Geographic Restriction - This content is not available in your location. I am in the UK.... which is one of the main markets for Defiance as the show will be broadcast on SyFy here too. 

What gives? As far as I know, the show will be broadcast on SyFy in the USA and in the UK simultaneously so why cant I view the previews? I hope there isnt going to be some sort of geographic lock down for the game too!

It will most likely air in the UK 6 months later than in the US.  It's a contract thing, based on the US cable companies having contracts with Sy-Fy, ...and the US advertisement companies paying for it as well.    This is really no different than US viewers having to wait 6 months for Merlin and Dr. Who episodes to show up here because they're paid for by UK cable companies and adverts there.

• BelmthemusBelmthemus A Northern OnePosts: 4Member
    Originally posted by Siphaed
    Originally posted by stragen001

It will most likely air in the UK 6 months later than in the US.  It's a contract thing, based on the US cable companies having contracts with Sy-Fy, ...and the US advertisement companies paying for it as well.    This is really no different than US viewers having to wait 6 months for Merlin and Dr. Who episodes to show up here because they're paid for by UK cable companies and adverts there.

Actually I doubt very much they will allow it to have a 6 month delay most big US shows are shown within days or as has happend with Buffy, Stargate (various flavours) and some other US shows they were actually shown in the UK first.

Merlin and Dr. Who are very bad examples to prove that particular point due to being BBC shows. The BBC is paid for using a tax called the television license the only reason anyone has to wait for these shows (as far as I remember) is due to a requirment of law that a period of time (not sure exactly how long) before it can be shown on a paid for basis (as in ads or cable fees) anywhere in the world. Also the television shedualling seasons are different in the UK and it would be more difficult for the US channels to fit them into existing  sheduals. It has been known that for the UK viewership to save a few shows that would normally have been cancelled in the US (the only one that I can think of atm is the old Dean Cain Superman show).

The main reason for the geographic restriction will be that each regional channel showing defience will usually want to brand it their own way and on their own sites. US advertisers don't care about other markets and their ads as long as people in the market they are advertising to sees that ad, there is some evidence to show they prefer shows being shown world wide as soon as possible as it "should" deter uploaders and thus potential viewers downloading instead of watching/recording live. Also product placment is more prevailent on US Television and getting this world wide ASAP is advantagious for them when they try to break into a new market.

AS for UK syfy it's most likely they will show it side by side with the US but they don't usually announce such things until the last minute.