Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

3 million copies sold since august general consensus so far

Comments

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

Good to hear they are still selling, and that people find it fun.

For me though, after 3 weeks while working on my second 80 I was bored to tears. Couldn't pay me to come back. Heh. So to each, their own.

• BaleoutBaleout Member Posts: 141
    Originally posted by Leucent
    Originally posted by fiontar
    Originally posted by fat_taddler

GW2 is a great entry point for players who are new to MMO's and those that are looking for a very casual friendly online gaming experience.

As many have and will state, the game simply doesn't have enough meaningful gameplay / progression options to keep many MMO veterans and hardcore players engaged over the long term. 

Sounds like ANet is seeing this as well which is why the 2013 changes seems to be geared towards player retention which is great.

That's just wrong. I've been playing MMOs for 14 years and have played too many to count during that time. I've logged almost 800 hours so far with GW2 and still going strong! The depth and breadth of gameplay and content is actually pretty staggering. I'm still learning things about the game and I still log in daily with the feeling that there is almost too much to do.

The lack of "meat" in most MMOs seen since the launch of WoW has been discouraging. MMOs with less than 80 hours of content were becoming the norm. At ~800 hours I have repeated some content and had fun doing so, but there are still areas of the game I haven't seen yet.

GW2 puts most other MMOs completely to shame when it comes to "meaningful gameplay".

I hope people see through the negative comments, full of misinformation, that come from people who clearly haven't really played the game or lacked the attention span needed to play it for more than 10-20 hours.

I could argue, that what you r saying is just wrong. I ve been playing MMO s for 13 years as well, and GW2 is bar none, the simplest, repetitive, boring, easy and shallow MMO, I ve ever played. I hope people can see through the way too positive posts, full of complete bs, that come from people that have no clue what a good MMO is.

Holy crap a ole 13 years  bet you played every game out there to  and not played one for more then 1 month because you get bored lol.

So i would not take anything you say other than bs anyway

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

Dunno. Black Ops 2 sold 11M copies in one week. GW2 sold what, 3M in 5 months? Easy to see which of those two games was the successfull one.

And before someone says "but Black Ops 2 isn't neither a mmo nor a RPG" - GW2 wasn't even neither the best mmo nor the best RPG of 2012, as the most reputable sites (mmorpg and IGN) have shown and confirmed through their users and expert critics respectively.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    Originally posted by Alber_gamer

Dunno. Black Ops 2 sold 11M copies in one week. GW2 sold what, 3M in 5 months? Easy to see which of those two games was the successfull one.

And before someone says "but Black Ops 2 isn't neither a mmo nor a RPG" - GW2 wasn't even neither the best mmo nor the best RPG of 2012, as the most reputable sites (mmorpg and IGN) have shown and confirmed through their users and expert critics respectively.

Rofl, you call MMORPG.com a reputable site? Anyways, critics don't mean anything when it comes to sales. Diablo 3 anyone? Fact is, Black Ops 2 doesnt make much money after it sells the box, GW2 continues to make money off the gem store for years to come. For an MMORPG, GW2 has sold more copies faster then any other one in history. That is a fact and it cannot be disputed. Obviously there are varying levels of success. MMORPGs are a niche genre and always have been. The MMO genre in general isn't very successful when it comes to pure numbers of sales, it all comes down to what they make after launch, otherwise we would not see as many as we do.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by Celcius

Rofl, you call MMORPG.com a reputable site? Anyways, critics don't mean anything when it comes to sales. Diablo 3 anyone? Fact is, Black Ops 2 doesnt make much money after it sells the box, GW2 continues to make money off the gem store for years to come. For an MMORPG, GW2 has sold more copies faster then any other one in history. That is a fact and it cannot be disputed. Obviously there are varying levels of success. MMORPGs are a niche genre and always have been. The MMO genre in general isn't very successful when it comes to pure numbers of sales, it all comes down to what they make after launch, otherwise we would not see as many as we do.

This is a factually false post, COD4:BLOPS makes tons of money through their 'elite' program and map packs throughout the year.

Not sure on the 'sold more copies faster than any other one in history' either as I'm pretty sure WoW expansions beat GW2 to that.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Helps if you actually read the articles you are commenting on. GW2 won best game from mmorpg.com staff picks and best PC game (which includes mmos) from IGN, which you say are the most reputable sites.

Not that any of that matters if you don't like the game, but try to be less ignorant. Also everyone kknows that FPS is far more popular than MMOs and those were console sales. PC gaming is less popular.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

No it just won PC game of the year on IGN... I don't like IGN much but I think that's pretty important lol

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Eir_S

No it just won PC game of the year on IGN... I don't like IGN much but I think that's pretty important lol

Who voted in the IGN poll? 

Or any Game of the year poll?

Ahh .. those people who would vote, and felt stronfly about a game.

Lets consider other sources... but also, only those those inclined to vote at IGN will contribute.

See the similarity ??

GW2 is a non-#1 award as far as I'm concerned.  It might be #1 to you .. but the metrics are off.  Works both ways.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

The IGN reviewers voted for it, not the public.
    GW2 was both critically and sales wise the most successful MMO of 2013. You are free to not like the game, but pretending the game wasn't a huge success is just being stupid.
    Originally posted by evilastro
    The IGN reviewers voted for it, not the public.

People who spent time to register to vote.  Not the average person. 

And sheeze, anyone can register with IGN.  Pfft.

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Originally posted by Onomic

3 million sales is pretty damn good for any genre on pc.

I stopd playing gw2 after i hit 80, but so far its my favorite mmorpg. Most i quit long befor i hit the cap. Just waiting for an expansion pack now.

I you didn't play an MMO for 2+ years either you didn't like it or it isn't an MMO. Stop lying to yourself.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

Karteli, it wasn't a user vote system like MMORPGs joke where Pirate 101 won. IGN staff picked the top 10s. So gaming industry professionals who review games for a living.
    Karteli, it wasn't a user vote system like MMORPGs joke where Pirate 101 won. IGN staff picked the top 10s. So gaming industry professionals who review games for a living.

Link it.  The part about MMORPG.com voting being a joke.  Pirate 101 won.  If it didn't, link it.

Pirate 101 won because it was frankly a better game.  I understand GW2 fans are upset, and want to repute the results.

BTW, since when do gaming professionals dictate what games are fun to play?  People who tell others what to play are called a name .. and it's not industry professionals .. they are called shills.  Very different from ordinary reviewers.

(like me and hopefully you)

Haha no one is upset about it, it's just hilarious. You are free to have whatever opinions you want about a game, you don't need reviews to justify your choices. I was merely responding to the idiot who used IGN as an example that GW2 was a bad game, when they awarded it PC game of the year. I'm on my phone, google it yourself.
    No matter what anyone says or who recognized GW2 as a good game, trolls are going to troll. I'm sorry that the game is so successful and has so many supporters, it must really kill you inside.
    No matter what anyone says or who recognized GW2 as a good game, trolls are going to troll. I'm sorry that the game is so successful and has so many supporters, it must really kill you inside.

Does this game really have more supporters than SWTOR?

My server is a ghost town.  Granted SWTOR has 20 servers, and GW2 has 10, Whenever I log onto SWTOR I see other people,  in GW2 I could really use a Duke Nukem mirror, so at least I could see myself.

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271
    GW2 was both critically and sales wise the most successful MMO of 2013. You are free to not like the game, but pretending the game wasn't a huge success is just being stupid.

You probably mean 2012.

Also - not sales wise. MOP sold more (unless they only sold 300k since the latest announcement, despite being in the charts over the holidays.

SWTOR is a lot smaller in size so it probably seems more populated, also it's free. I can't run more than 10m in GW2 without seeing another player.

Yeah slip up there, meant 2012. And GW2 was consistently higher in the charts than WoWs expansion after its launch week, so yeah I'd say it sold more. Blizzard would have announced 3 mil if they had hit it.
    I would say WoWs population is closer to 2.5 million in the west, they only sold 2.7 mil of the expansion and some of those would have left already.

In the first week. They sold 2,7 in the first week.

Which is nearly as much as GW2 sold in 4 months. To paint a picture.

I'm not denying GW2 is a success sales-wise, but let's not delude ourselves here. In pure numbers it doesn't beat WoW, not even in the west - YET.

It was a expansion, 95% who were ever going to get it would have gotten it in the first week.
    SWTOR is a lot smaller in size so it probably seems more populated, also it's free. I can't run more than 10m in GW2 without seeing another player.

Yeah slip up there, meant 2012. And GW2 was consistently higher in the charts than WoWs expansion after its launch week, so yeah I'd say it sold more. Blizzard would have announced 3 mil if they had hit it.

GW2 was not in the top 100 all format over the holidays, while MOP was. Pretty important season for games.

Also, why would Blizzard report a new figure after only 300k sales (2,7-3 mil)? Does that make any sort of sense?

It was a expansion, 95% who were ever going to get it would have gotten it in the first week.

Like it never happened with the previous expansions? They all sold at least a million more beyond the first week.

Also - their figure didn't include asian sales either, which people tend to forget. They reported the 2,7 million the day they released in the East.

Some funny figuring you guys are doing, I'll tell you that. It'll be a fun day quoting this thread come early Feb when Blizz reports their Q4.

GW2 was higher than MOP on the PC chart, why would multi format be any different?
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

not really.  you only need the expansion for level 86-90 stuff, or the monk class.  you can play a panda just fine without it.  so it's quite possible that many people, would have chosen to wait to buy it until they actually needed it, probably a month away at least (getting a panda to 85).

You make me like charity