Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

my personal experience of ArcheAge Open Beta

Comments

• LlexXLlexX Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Originally posted by Biskop
    @ Llexx

The fact that the quest-based leveling and endgame-heavy design is the same as in every other game is EXACTLY what irks all those who hoped AA would be something new and different.

We don't want the same old linear themepark with a new skin, we want innovative, open games. One would have thought that it'd be clear by now that repeating the WoW formula isn't working anymore.

When im searching for an MMO to play, im looking at the endgame (by endgame i meaning reaching the max level, and finish with the quest line) and what features it has to offer at endgame to make me busy for years. Questing in MMO is not important for me since it takes just a few week(s) to complete it, and the real game starts after that. And the endgame in AA is different from the casual themeparks, it has many options unlike most of the MMOs where you just farm instance repeatedly countless times for items, do arena PvP... Endgame in AA is much more complex and whats the most important to me, its not instanced.

Ive played so many RPGs both MMO and single player, that i simply can't enjoy questing anymore, simply there is nothing new left to show to me, probably many of you feel otherwise, but the fact is that i had enough of the same repeated questing.

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    Originally posted by BadSpock

If questing is the most efficient way to level, and the "sandbox" elements in the game are really only for people level 40+, that means questing is all but forced and necessary to advance to "the good stuff."

Which is about as old and tired and worn out of a game design philosophy as you can find.

Why don't MMO devs get this?

Make the XP and skill ups etc. come from doing stuff, from action, and make the "quests" and story just guides and lore not required.

i.e. REMOVE the XP for completing quests. And most of the rewards. Make it more like Skyrim questing.

It's there, it gives you something to do / direction if you need it, but is in no way required.

DUH!?!

And if no one does the quests if there isn't bonus XP and loot, then you know what?

Just goes to show how tired and old and worn out the entire idea is in the first place!

Ehm, what?

This way you get two very different and yet interesting experiences and much more bang for your buck.

I love the leveling game where you learn your abilities and you start to get comfortable with the mechanics. It's like a driven tutorial with a nice flow to it.

Then, at cap - the game opens up and you've become attached to the world and you understand the mechanics.

I think the way a game like GW2 handles it is AWFUL and overly simplified. You know pretty much all there is to know about the game at level 30 - and the game doesn't change much by that point. Sure, you don't have to level to experience all the game has, but the problem is the game didn't have much. Content isn't enhanced by shoving it down your throat. Content can never stay perpetually interesting without a strong player influence. That's where GW2 failed and sandbox elements have the potential to succeed.

I love a slow burning experience and I love being able to grow and evolve over a long period of time.

Then again, I've never considered any of that "work" - because if a game feels like a job, I just quit playing. A lot of themeparks feel that way - but that's not by design, that's because they lack that special something to keep you interested while developing your character.

ArcheAge seems to combine a fantastic world with a wonderful feature set - and is exactly the kind of thing I've been waiting for.

Sometimes there's a reason a design works - and sometimes streamlining and simplifying everything isn't the best way to enhance a design.

• ZierrityZierrity Member UncommonPosts: 242
    Originally posted by elocke
    Originally posted by Zierrity
    I also want to say that I can not promise that I accessed everything to do at the levels 1-25, as the game is in korean it's hard to wander of the "rail" and figure out if there is anything else to do. And my korean is practically non-existent,

Thanks for clariftying that and awesome review.  I wish everyone would review games in a similar fashion and be less hyperbole in their statements.  I'm looking forward to this game.

Something else that bugs me about people and their early opinions of games.  Sometimes they forget that these are MMORPGs and that they grow over a period of years and many things get added or changed in that time, growing the game.  So something that may be missing at launch might come later.  All I ask for is a solid base game to play until those things and new lands are added and it looks like ArcheAge has this in place.

Thank you, really :) I'm very happy that you liked my review ^^,

While many seem to be disappointed, I truly do believe ArcheAge will get a solid playerbase and do well in the West.

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

Thanks, great information. I envy you for having a chance to play the beta. Very well done report!

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by elocke
    Originally posted by Grotar89

So, on rails quest grinder with tab target 1+2+3+4 combat. Move along ppl nothing to see.... I predict game will fail worse than Aion in west or TERA....

Pretty much what i expected from looking few livestreams.

Except for people like myself who want this kind of game and don't mind Tab target combat and who like quests and then boom at level cap the game opens up into it's awesome sandboxiness to actually keep me playing instead of unsubbing like every other MMO in the last 8 years.  Can't wait till this hits western shores.

+1

Originally posted by LlexX

When im searching for an MMO to play, im looking at the endgame (by endgame i meaning reaching the max level, and finish with the quest line) and what features it has to offer at endgame to make me busy for years. Questing in MMO is not important for me since it takes just a few week(s) to complete it, and the real game starts after that. And the endgame in AA is different from the casual themeparks, it has many options unlike most of the MMOs where you just farm instance repeatedly countless times for items, do arena PvP... Endgame in AA is much more complex and whats the most important to me, its not instanced.

Ive played so many RPGs both MMO and single player, that i simply can't enjoy questing anymore, simply there is nothing new left to show to me, probably many of you feel otherwise, but the fact is that i had enough of the same repeated questing.

Agreed, While the themepark questing might not be the most fun and memorable part of ArcheAge, once you get through it, (and leveling in ArcheAge is not slow in any ways), the world will open up to you, and I believe this is why ArcheAge will keep a steady playerbase. instead of the traditional raids and gear farm, ArcheAge gives you a lot of possibilites. You might want to buy the biggest and most expensive house, or you might just want to travel over sea exploring. Maybe you and your guild want to build the biggest Castle and leave a mark in the world for others to gaze upon. Maybe you want to be nasty and go around killing other players.

Point being, ArcheAge offers more than the usual end game and as you'd likely to spend more time doing end game stuff than leveling, isn't that a good thing?

While I do not defend XLGames choice of level progression, in any way, I do believe ArcheAge at least deserves some recognition for it's take on end game.

Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Why oh why do all the "sandbox" activities have to be reserved for end-game?

This saddens me. Will have to wait and see for myself in a hopefully English open beta at some point, but man...

How hard is it for these devs to understand that most people are tired of grinding boring stuff to get to the good stuff?

Themebox / Sandpark is a valid idea - but it's not "themepark leveling than sandbox end game" that we want - it's a fusion from the very start with NO FINISH.

First, ty OP. This is the type of info I was looking for. The ability system looks interesting for a max level character.

Spock, I couldn't agree with you more. This paragraph bothers me, alomst to the point of intrest lost.

"Trough level 1 to 25 the game have been really on rails, or a Quest Hub or whatever you'd like to call it. Small Zones, (no loading between them though), go from one quest giver 'til another until you've finished the zone and then on to the next one to do the same. I've been told by guildmates that the game is pretty much this until cap level, but I don't have any experience after level 25 so I can't really state that as a fact. You can however go around harvesting and earn XP through that, but it's really slow that way."

That sounds like the same ole same grind to level cap. WTF are there levels for?! I'm starting to feel like levels are nothing more than a way to mask a bad design, and a way to extend game play due to a lack of meaningful content. Get rid of the levels and let people advance skills. I just don't think I can stand another grind to level cap, in any mmorpg.

The thing that bothered me the most is XP from quest and harvesting only?! I hope that's not true. Coming from Age of Wushu, where I can do whatever I want and still progress my toon (I haven't did a quest since the first 2 hours of the game) the thought of grinding quest after quest is unthinkable. 

I agree I dont like being 'funneled' through content, but perhaps the limited approach is used to teach game mechanics?  Just a thought.

Either way I dont care.  I will be playing this game as soon as it touches down state side =)

Originally posted by LlexX
    Originally posted by Zzad

LOL Quest hubs driven gameplay??

Didn´t expect that.... :/

After playing more dinamic games i think i can never go back to that.........

The questing is like in every other MMO, its boring, there are no exceptions after you played a few of them. Think of it as a tutorial phase what you need to pass to get to the real content, just like in every other MMO (it doesnt take long to do them).

One simply does not play an MMO for its questing/story, for that there are many single player RPGs. Play MMO for the group content.

RPGs ARE stories!  Thats what MMOs dont get.  They are typically about conflict and your role (or lack there of) within it.

I wish developers would put more work into the story.  A good one can go a long way.

• SygrisSygris Member Posts: 26

there is still some misinformation about archeage in this thread.

you don't need to be max level to enjoy the sandbox content, you don't! sure, it benefits you, if you're max when playing pvp, but the pve content is available to you pretty much right from the beginning. also, aa gives you xp for almost everything you do, even your interaction with the auction house gives you xp, so yes, it's possible to reach max by not questing. the questing in archeage is fast, and i mean fast. questing in archeage serves only to introduce you to the game world, the lore, your class and other things.

it may seem like it's just typical themepark stuff, but all of it is very deep and not shallow at all. many typical features like mounts are indeed innovative and the game also allows to over- or underachive quests. what does this mean exactly? well, lets say you get a kill 5 rat quest. with this system it's possible to kill 8 rats instead and get a better quest reward, or you could just kill 3 rats and get less.

lore lovers be happy, the story in archeage is considered by many very good, even impressive.

archeage is as overall package unbeatable, instead of only offering some good things like in many themeparks, you get a game that puts importance on pretty much everything it offers. story, music, graphics  and  tons of features that are not found in games that have been released in the last 10 years. instead of calling archeage a disappointment, because of it's quest system, you should honestly give it a try and not just discard it because of that, you could miss out on something great.

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Originally posted by Sygris

there is still some misinformation about archeage in this thread.

you don't need to be max level to enjoy the sandbox content, you don't! sure, it benefits you, if you're max when playing pvp, but the pve content is available to you pretty much right from the beginning. also, aa gives you xp for almost everything you do, even your interaction with the auction house gives you xp, so yes, it's possible to reach max by not questing. the questing in archeage is fast, and i mean fast. questing in archeage serves only to introduce you to the game world, the lore, your class and other things.

it may seem like it's just typical themepark stuff, but all of it is very deep and not shallow at all. many typical features like mounts are indeed innovative and the game also allows to over- or underachive quests. what does this mean exactly? well, lets say you get a kill 5 rat quest. with this system it's possible to kill 8 rats instead and get a better quest reward, or you could just kill 3 rats and get less.

lore lovers be happy, the story in archeage is considered by many very good, even impressive.

archeage is as overall package unbeatable, instead of only offering some good things like in many themeparks, you get a game that puts importance on pretty much everything it offers. story, music, graphics  and  tons of features that are not found in games that have been released in the last 10 years. instead of calling archeage a disappointment, because of it's quest system, you should honestly give it a try and not just discard it because of that, you could miss out on something great.

Perhaps you could elaborate on this; what, exactly, makes it so deep and innovative? What are these amazing new features that are found nowhere else? Pretty graphics, good music and some lore does not make an epochal game.

You only give one exaomple of an actual game feature, and sorry but  in my book being able to kill 12 rats instead of 10 does not qualify as deep. 

• LlexXLlexX Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Originally posted by Biskop

Perhaps you could elaborate on this; what, exactly, makes it so deep and innovative? What are these amazing new features that are found nowhere else? Pretty graphics, good music and some lore does not make an epochal game.

You only give one exaomple of an actual game feature, and sorry but  in my book being able to kill 12 rats instead of 10 does not qualify as deep. 

Check some of the detailed guides here:

Guides to ArcheAge

when you got some free time.

And im not saying any of this is a new feature, it is present in some MMOs already (so nothing revolutionary), but you dont see all these features being part of a game lately.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

Sounds like a fun game.  Hope they bring it west.

Let's make something clear though. 

When you say "it becomes more sandbox at the level cap, or end-game", your'e not talking about a sandbox, that's entirely a themepark.  Being a themepark doesn't make a game bad though, bad games are just bad. 

AA isn't a sandbox though, which IS what I thought it was going to be based on what people around here have been saying.  However, a sandbox has no endgame, it sure doesn't have a level cap that is required to be met in order to do "sandbox" things.  Lot's of content at "end-game" is a themepark; even if that content is "sandbox" in nature. 

50 levels of themepark makes it a themepark. 

• SygrisSygris Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by Uhwop

Sounds like a fun game.  Hope they bring it west.

Let's make something clear though. 

When you say "it becomes more sandbox at the level cap, or end-game", your'e not talking about a sandbox, that's entirely a themepark.  Being a themepark doesn't make a game bad though, bad games are just bad. 

AA isn't a sandbox though, which IS what I thought it was going to be based on what people around here have been saying.  However, a sandbox has no endgame, it sure doesn't have a level cap that is required to be met in order to do "sandbox" things.  Lot's of content at "end-game" is a themepark; even if that content is "sandbox" in nature. 

50 levels of themepark makes it a themepark. 

i shall give you my answer, which i posted already once.

you don't need to be max level to enjoy the sandbox content, you don't! sure, it benefits you, if you're max when playing pvp, but the pve content is available to you right from the beginning.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by Sovrath

The zones takes about 7 - 15 minutes to ride through, then again, no loadings between the zones, only change of maps.

And I am glad you liked it :)

Well, that might not be too bad.

Are they literally in a straight line or can one just go in any direction?

You can pretty much go where you choose, but following the quests you kind of have a route allready planned out (if that makes any sence)

It does make sense.

Now here's a question, do I have to do the quests? Or can I just go out into the world, do my own thing and buy good gear from player crafters?

This is the question I want to know also. There is nonthing wrong with a game having quest but if its forced linear questing then thats not good.

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

Originally posted by Mannish

The zones takes about 7 - 15 minutes to ride through, then again, no loadings between the zones, only change of maps. And I am glad you liked it :)
    Well, that might not be too bad. Are they literally in a straight line or can one just go in any direction?  
    You can pretty much go where you choose, but following the quests you kind of have a route allready planned out (if that makes any sence)
    It does make sense. Now here's a question, do I have to do the quests? Or can I just go out into the world, do my own thing and buy good gear from player crafters?

This is the question I want to know also. There is nonthing wrong with a game having quest but if its forced linear questing then thats not good.

The fastest way to lvl up in AA, is to gather up some friends and over do the quests. If you collect more than you are suppose to for a quest you get extra credit.

But the game is not linear, ArcheAge has a lot of hidden quests around the world and there are many ways to level up other than questing. For example, you can earn loads of exp by exploring new areas, crafting, mining, farming, ect.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Zierrity, thank you for taking the time out of your day and sharing your experiences with us.  I loved the screenshots.  The art department is really to be commended.  It really is a beautiful game.

I loved the Bunny mount!  OMG I want one, lol.   I'm a little worried about the questing part.  I guess it's wait and see.  I love houses, I love boats.  I want to play this game now.  Yesterday actually.

Can you tell us about your computer rig and how many fps you were getting? I realize it was beta, but the pictures were INCREDIBLE.  Did you turn up the graphics for the pics or were you playing at that resolution and eye candy.  Did the game stop and start, laggy, or taxing on your rig or was it smooth?

What level did you get the rabbit?  And boat?

Do they have a pet class?

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

Thanks for the review, I havent really paid much attention to the game because it was still a bit away, and the Korean games that have released in the US have ranged from poor to awful.

Looks decent, but tired of three tree skill systems.  Looks like its done better than Rift since its less restrictive though.  

Originally posted by Terranah
    Zierrity, thank you for taking the time out of your day and sharing your experiences with us.  I loved the screenshots.  The art department is really to be commended.  It really is a beautiful game.

I loved the Bunny mount!  OMG I want one, lol.   I'm a little worried about the questing part.  I guess it's wait and see.  I love houses, I love boats.  I want to play this game now.  Yesterday actually.

Can you tell us about your computer rig and how many fps you were getting? I realize it was beta, but the pictures were INCREDIBLE.  Did you turn up the graphics for the pics or were you playing at that resolution and eye candy.  Did the game stop and start, laggy, or taxing on your rig or was it smooth?

You can make a boat at any time in the game, as long as you have the blueprint and the materials needed to build your boat. You get blueprints from doing Trade runs.

The simple rowboat you get from a quest early on, and if you want to build the "BlackPearl" Pirate ship you need to kill the Pirate Boss on Pirate Island (He drops the blueprint).

There is no pet class in the game, you get pets from doing the pet breeding system. You can breed a pet to be your mount. Or breed a pet to be your ally. So there is no lvl restriction, it's whenever you want to start pet breeding.

Here is a video of someone breeding a pet mount

http://youtu.be/5mS1WXUDafU

Here is someone breeding a pet to be their ally

http://youtu.be/AttxRr5vYAE

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

Well at least now I know I won't bother with this game whenever it's available for 'Merica.

Asian grind fest until endgame and that is when I can participate in the sandboxy elements... no thanks.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

Originally posted by Terranah

Thank you fo you kind words :) I am happy that you enjoyed the review :)

I did not turn up the graphics when I took the screenshots, I've been playing with maxed out graphics and never really gotten any lag or low fps.

As of my rig, the computer is a couple of years old, and not really anything special, I bought a Geforce GTX 560  for about 2 years ago, but the as of the rest of the hardware, nothing over the top. I'll update with the specific details when I get home. The only problem I've had are the delay, but that's not a hardare issue I believe.

Minimum system requirements for playing ArcheAge are:

System: Windows xp sp3 (32bit)
    CPU:     Intel core2 duo

Disk Space:    30GB
    RAM:    2GB RAM
    GFX card:     Geforce 8000 / Radeon HD 4000, 512MB

(source)

the boat (rowboat) you'll get pretty early on through quest, other boats you can either create yourself, or buy with currency you'll get through out the story quest.

As for the bunny mount (or jar jar mount as I like to call it), you can buy at anytime for 5 gold (which you'll get quite early on if you do quest).

They do not have a specific pet class, but everyone can get a battle pet through a level 25 quest (I believe). I have a cat named  Meatball :)

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Good stuff.  Thank you for doing an excellent writeup and sharing your experiences.

I'm still excited about this game as ever!

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by BadSpockWhy oh why do all the "sandbox" activities have to be reserved for end-game?

Because if they were "sandbox activities", they would need not to be reserved for end-game.

The game is themepark and there is nothing wrong with that.

• AtrocitusAtrocitus Member UncommonPosts: 85

Im really curious as to why your guild mate called this game casual?

It seems to have insane depth, a crazy amount of things to do. Casual would be the last thing that comes to my mind when

thinking about AA.

Perhaps im missing something here?

Originally posted by Atrocitus
    Im really curious as to why your guild mate called this game casual?

It seems to have insane depth, a crazy amount of things to do. Casual would be the last thing that comes to my mind when

thinking about AA.

Perhaps im missing something here?

Well for old school hardcore sandbox players that think every game should be U/O cira 1999, or L2 cira 2005, then yes this game is very casual. Instead of taking months to lvl up and to lvl up your skills, it just takes a few weeks.

Casuals will still gripe at the grind, here in the west, trust me..lol

Another gripe I hear from western players is, there is nothing to do in the game. In AA you are not the hero, like in most western games. So it is up to you to make a name for yourself in AA. You have to carve out your own niche within the game. Be the best farmer, merchant, Criminal, Pirate, crafter, Trader, ect.

Heck be a Judge or Jurior in the game and send those gankers to prison, or take bribes from them and set them free...lol

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

Well the game is not what I was hoping for or expecting. I thought it was a sandbox not a themepark till the endgame content.

Would like to learn more about the pvp.