Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

The "True" heir to the Diablo legacy

PWN_FACEPWN_FACE SeoulPosts: 670Member

Having had a chance to play all three games (Path of Exile has been in beta for a while now), which one do you think is the true heir to the Diablo legacy (however you want to define it) and why?

Diablo 3 -- The official heir put forward by Blizzard.

Torchlight 2 -- Including some of the original Diablo developers.

Path of Exile -- Gritty and dark.

Which one does it for you and why?

Comments

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Beaumont, CAPosts: 1,518Member Uncommon

gotta be POE

its Dark, its gritty, its complexity is overwhelming at times, its farming doesnt feel like farming, and its completely open classes.  While it does feel like the heir to D2, POE is a unique game in a class by itself....to me.  I cant wait for the 23rd

• WonderweissMWonderweissM gvile, FLPosts: 127Member
    I haven't played Diablo (1-3) before, so I don't really know much about it besides what I hear and videos, but I belive PoE, having played it, is a really good game. I can't really compare the two, but Poe has alot of great features. The class and passive skill system is great. You can really customise your playstyle. Like using twin swords and magic? Go for it. Like to be sleathy with two handed weapons? Sure, I guess. I really leaves alot of room for people to make their own "builds". The items and spells are a good idea too. Spells having to be socketed into items make going out and finding loot all the better, and will drive the economy ( I don't know if there is a aution house or anything). It will get people to trade for items that have their specific "Spell slots" that they need. I thought it was a good game and if it gets out the the Diablo players, people will leave that for Diablo. ( I think PoE is free?)
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Beaumont, CAPosts: 1,518Member Uncommon

there is no AH, and there wont be an AH, thankfully.  All trading is done by actually talking to other people.  There also is no "gold" or other currency, there are various things people might desire in trades, ranging from Identify scrolls, to Orbs of Chance, to Maps (YES MAPS!!!) random dropped maps that can be worth a fortune in gear

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore salem, ORPosts: 672Member

PoE all day.

It truly has that dark dungeon feeling to it. Such a fantastic game. A few more days till the final wipe! Can't wait for open beta!

Witcher FTW!!!

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• VannorVannor YorkshirePosts: 2,970Member Uncommon

I say Titan Quest.

Other than Diablo 1, Titan Quest is the ARPG I played the longest and had the most fun in.. and with the latest Soulvizier mod and all the extra stuff it brings it's easily the best arpg you can play at the moment, imo.

It's polished, has smooth combat, is well themed, has meaningful loot, well balanced and graphically it's actually on par with D3 and better than T2 and PoE... even though it's much older.

Latest Mod.. if anyone is interested in trying it out. (Yep, the mod does give you 1000 character levels to aim for. That isn't a typo)

• boxsndboxsnd Kraxton, ARPosts: 438Member Uncommon
    None of those: Titan Quest is the only game that came close to the greatness of D2.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• coretex666coretex666 PraguePosts: 1,934Member Uncommon

PoE? TL 2? Titan Quest?

It is, of course, Diablo 3.

Waiting for L2 EU Classic

• AeonbladesAeonblades Home, GAPosts: 2,083Member
    Personally, I feel Lineage Eternal is going to be the better of all the diablo clones. Check it out on youtube, it looks amazing and very fun.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• Eir_SEir_S Argyle, NYPosts: 4,623Member
    Is PoE out yet?  It's been a while now since I first heard of it, but it says Beta on MMORPG.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Torchlight 2
    Seen as more of the key people from diablo 1 & 2 worked on it than did diablo 3.
  • ZooceZooce B, FLPosts: 586Member

Originally posted by Eir_S
    Is PoE out yet?

http://www.pathofexile.com/

• PWN_FACEPWN_FACE SeoulPosts: 670Member
    Is PoE out yet?  It's been a while now since I first heard of it, but it says Beta on MMORPG.

It's coming out in 6 days.

It's been in "open" beta for a while, but it costs $10 to join. 

Originally posted by PWN_FACE

Yes, they are calling it the open beta in 6 days because the game is not finished.

No character wipes, an active and fully functional cash shop paired with a free to play game with open access for all is not an open beta. It is release. The unfinished game is being released in 6 days.

• Cosmonaut79Cosmonaut79 Dixon, ILPosts: 175Member
    Originally posted by Vannor

Yes, they are calling it the open beta in 6 days because the game is not finished.

No character wipes, an active and fully functional cash shop paired with a free to play game with open access for all is not an open beta. It is release. The unfinished game is being released in 6 days.

I'd take this game in it's "unfinished" state over D3 in a heartbeat.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Austin, TXPosts: 1,418Member Uncommon
    Having played all three in Beta/demo, I'd probably vote Path of Exile.   Both PoE and Torchlight were far more interesting to me than Diablo3.    Of course, I only played Diablo2 about a year ago, and didn't find it that super wonderful then.   Titan Quest was my first in memory for this genre, and I still like it a lot.  But that may have to do with the Greco/Roman theme.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• AvsRock21AvsRock21 Denver, COPosts: 256Member
    There really is no comparison here. D3 and Torchlight 2 don't compete with Path of Exile in any way.
    Originally posted by Cosmonaut79

That's fair enough. I just think they could have got it properly finished and opened with a really big bang. A missed opportunity in my opinion, there's a chance it could never get the full attention it will eventually deserve by doing things this way.

• Eir_SEir_S Argyle, NYPosts: 4,623Member
    Thanks for the answers guys, I'll definitely check it out.  Dungeon crawlers like this usually only keep me entertained for about a month, but it's a glorious, loot havin' good time.
  • Cosmonaut79Cosmonaut79 Dixon, ILPosts: 175Member
    Originally posted by Cosmonaut79

That's fair enough. I just think they could have got it properly finished and opened with a really big bang. A missed opportunity in my opinion, there's a chance it could never get the full attention it will eventually deserve by doing things this way.

That's true.  I can remember when this game was really under the radar and has now picked up steam as open beta approaches, but you're right, some sort of big release would probably be beneficial.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Elmer, NJPosts: 1,857Member
    No mention of Grim Dawn or Borderlands? lol!

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• CetraCetra SingaporePosts: 354Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Souldrainer

huh? Borderlands? 

Diablo and Borderlands? Really? 

• Grotar89Grotar89 beograd, CAPosts: 343Member
    Sacred 1 - open world with great classes and amazing character models. Too bad Sacred 2 was such a bad game.
  • Goll25Goll25 bath, PAPosts: 187Member
    yeah obviously it's the game that not many have played at all yet. 
  • marcuslmmarcuslm Louisville, KYPosts: 253Member Uncommon

I've watched the Lineage Eternal footage many times and it does look pretty amazing. Question is whether we will ever get to play it. I saw that footage a while back and have heard nothing since.

• SilokSilok Mascouche, QCPosts: 732Member
    Originally posted by Souldrainer

huh what? first grim of dawn is not release and not even in alpha state... Borderlands? what?image huh seriously what??image