Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Son, I am proud

2»

Comments

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    Originally posted by Zairu

i started visiting this site when DF was the 'big topic' and man, those threads were vicious. worse than anything I see here these days.

Really? I thought this year, and this fall in particular, has definitely been one of the worst. You see the GW2 craze and fandom birthed quite a hater's club. Some would bring up GW2 and start bashing it even when the topic was about anything but. I'd call that pretty severe.

Nothing comes close to the brutality of those Darkfall threads, and I'm sure we'll get a second dose once Unholy Wars launches.

GW2 was bad. Darkfall was an apocalypse. The emotional pain that the development and launch caused to so many still runs deep to this day. It truly is something to behold.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• darkkblackdarkkblack Member Posts: 38
    Players don't really know what games are out there. The play what they hear about from other gamers or shopping in the stores they look at the front and back covers. Most games get played a few hours and put on the rack. Gamers want action they dont want politics or read throughs. Youtube is a great tool and I use it a lot for checking out a new game. But it is hard to really play to better your game and change to a different game every three months. Real skill takes time.

• ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

I can't really agree.

if anything, there is slightly more WoW-tolenrance, meaning, you only get trolled a little bit for mentioning it, rather than the rest of the thread.

the only real problem on this site are the jaded MMO hipsters with smashed rose-colored glasses.

Hey, I'll take anything. When they had Darkfall and Mortal Online to wait for, they were reasonably tame. Now... they have nothing coming up for a long time really - or atleast I haven't seen any.

The next year is gonna be tough for them ...and thats why its gonna be tough for us too.

i started visiting this site when DF was the 'big topic' and man, those threads were vicious. worse than anything I see here these days.

I remember the huge amount of "WAR IS COMING image" posts.  But then Warhammer Online came... and went.  Then there was darkfall, and it came, and went.  Now its coming back.

Personally I'm looking forward to things like Embers of Caerus, The Repopulation, ArcheAge and a few others more than anything Aventurine will ever develop.

I think we can agree that more variety in QUALITY games is a good thing.

personally, what I want is a Skyrim styled online rpg with an in-depth co-op. a minimal of 6 players per server, and maybe up to a dozen if a decent pvp element exist, like territory control. mini-games like arenas could be added, and honestly, so much more than is currently being done with MMO's.

i've been playing mobas more than mmos this year, more SPRG's than anything, and some rts on the side. i want to find a new chess game as well. i like the ones where the pieces fight...lol

• EnerzealEnerzeal Member Posts: 326
    There is no way this is not going to sound patronizing, but here it goes anyway...

I feel we've been through a couple of phases here on the forums of MMORPG.com - infact, we are in a middle of a few. But I have noticed we have gotten over one fairly persistent one. It was when some posters thought that the people who enjoyed modern MMOs weren't "mature enough" to enjoy old-school MMOs.

Now the whole argument was laughable, but it was their way of bashing the players and the games of today back then. Its been quite a while now that I've seen comments like these, so I think it is safe to say that this phase is behind us and those posters have grown a little.

I know, I know, some still call the players stupid and lazy the developers inept, lazy, greedy and/or out of touch etc, but I'm encouraged to find that even with all this negativity, we are still moving forward. We are steadily heading towards acceptance that not everyone likes the same games we ourselves do and it is perfecly fine. And if the developer sees us as a niché market, thats OK too, we just have to rely on indie developers more.

Its all good.

Yea great, the arguement died down and it was considered over with, but then someone had to remind everyone and drag it back up with a confused forum post that would more at home on a blog, usually a thread has a point, this one is lacking.

I personally would never say that 2004-5+ MMO gamers were too immature to enjoy the likes of EQ and DAoC, what I would say is that they are used to a set of creature comforts that newer MMOs have, solo friendly, more casual mechanics (ghost runs as opposed to going and hauling your corpse back out of that mob infested dungeon), and while this would not limit them from enjoying old school MMOs, it would however be very jarring at first, and most, I  imagine, would find it to different and opt not to bother investigating further.

The UI alone is enough, play world of warcraft with your personal UI all laid out using Addons, then dip into EQ1 and vomit over the screen at its dreadful looking UI.

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

Perhaps the "Great Playstyle Flame Wars" are drawing to a close.  I remember a time when the ire was much worse.

There were times when we pseudo-intellectualized entire playstyles, like roleplaying and pvp, as wrong and illegitimate.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    I reject your proudness Quirhid, because you still bash the players and the games of back then, today.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Originally posted by ObiClownobi
    Originally posted by ObiClownobi

And yet you have admitted you don't play MMOs any more

Now, where did I say that?

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5506823#5506823

here, just yesterday

lmao .. good stuff

• AeolynAeolyn Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Originally posted by Beatnik59

Perhaps the "Great Playstyle Flame Wars" are drawing to a close.  I remember a time when the ire was much worse.

There were times when we pseudo-intellectualized entire playstyles, like roleplaying and pvp, as wrong and illegitimate.

Lol and perhaps it's only because most of the flamers have now dabbled in the same waters and can no longer in good conscience make the same accusations?   Not that they still can't claim who the real gamers are, because they still do, but now that they've seen some of the eyecandy and advancements in character control they can't quite worship the granddaddy's of mmorpgs as strongly as in the past.