Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else wish GW2 had a in-game mouse lock feature?

sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911

I really enjoy the game but one thing that keeps me from playing is a proper mouselock feature.  GW2combat mod is a good direction but atm they do not allow you to rebind keys (plus I would prefer the ground targeting to work more similar to Smite).  I know everyone has different playstyles and I'm wondering if anyone else feels the same way?

I've been playing Tera lately and I enjoy the combat system.  I would love to see something similar in GW2.  Imo a game can never have too many viable options.

Comments

• Dream_ChaserDream_Chaser Member Posts: 1,043

It doesn't need one, it's not an action-based MMO. The dodge-roll is completely vestigial due to how infrequently people get to use it, and most of the time people just zerg spamming one or two abilities, and using evade skills, heals, and passives to just make up the difference. All I've seen in GW2 is zerging and I find that depressing, but it's the kind of game it is. It's sort of somewhere between WoW and TERA. In a game like TERA you need a reticle because you have to aim things, there's no tab-targeting in that game.

Necessity is the mother of invention; GW2 doesn't actually need things lilke mouse-lock or a targeting reticle, that's why they're not present. It's not an action-based MMO. Champions Online, even, is more action based than GW2 and that's why that did ship with a reticle and mouse-lock. I'd say CO is somewhere between GW2 and TERA, with TERA being the most action-y MMO we've had thus far.

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    I completely disagree with the fact it doesn't need one.  That's like saying it doesn't need hotkeys or mini-maps.  It is a convenience and not directly defining the genre.  You could say that you wouldn't use it but trying to tell me that I can't play a game a certain way is preposterous.
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

By mouse lock I guess you mean camera tide with mouse movement.

If yes, hell yea!! I'm sick on having to hold right click every second while moving/fighting.

• Black-DogBlack-Dog Member Posts: 18

you can do..

here you go.

; Mouselook Toggle ver. 1.2

#NoEnv
    SendMode Input

#IfWinActive (put in name of exe for game here no brackets)

$RButton::
    If (Toggle := !Toggle)
    Send {RButton Down}
    Else
    Send {RButton up}
    Return

$!RButton::
    if (Toggle)
    {
    Toggle := !Toggle
    }
    Send {RButton}
    Return

~m::
    ~n::
    ~k::
    ~p::
    ~c::
    ~b::

if (Toggle)
    {
    Toggle := !Toggle
    Send {RButton up}
    }
    Return

#IfWinActive

autohotkey works a treat :)

Originally posted by Black-Dog

you can do..

here you go.

Humm.. are you familiar to GW2combat Mod?  They have a ini file that mentions keybinding but after many efforts and googling different programming methods I have been unable to figure it out.  Would you have any ideas?

I know that those exist but I also know anet doesn't like modding their client so if they spot this little thing be prepared to get a ban.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

ANet doesn't mind modding the client. Various TexMod-based mods were very popular in GW1 and they even had a guide to using them on their official wiki. They don't support mods, however.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    If ANET adds FPS aim like TERA then i hope they add it as an option. I prefer GW2s combat over TERAs combat in mmos, because i like to play mmos that have hotkeys with mouse and keyboard. I do not touch TERA without my xbox 360 gamepad, and i do not want to play GW2 with a gamepad. However, like i said, if they add the option of FPS aiming like TERA, then the more option the better but i wont use it.

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by bloodaxes

By mouse lock I guess you mean camera tide with mouse movement.

If yes, hell yea!! I'm sick on having to hold right click every second while moving/fighting.

GW2 definitely needs this. I had to quit it for a few days after doing 20 hours on a weekend because the back of my hand was getting numb (beginnings of carpal tunnel syndrome?). I really like this game but health over enjoyment. Never had this problem in any other game I played (WOW, RIFT, EVE, SWTOR, TSW) but I tend to stay away from "action combat" games.

Originally posted by Scalpless

ANet doesn't mind modding the client. Various TexMod-based mods were very popular in GW1 and they even had a guide to using them on their official wiki. They don't support mods, however.

I don't remember the thread but I'm pretty sure some people asked anet if they could use this mod and anet didn't say yes nor no but specifically that they don't like mods that can affect gameplay or better say balance in combat pvp and such.

Originally posted by bloodaxes
    Originally posted by Scalpless

I don't remember the thread but I'm pretty sure some people asked anet if they could use this mod and anet didn't say yes nor no but specifically that they don't like mods that can affect gameplay or better say balance in combat pvp and such.

This is the official response from ArenaNet on the original tool;

"Our general statement is that anything that gives advantage is forbidden. There are many utilities that help the player without taking a hit on others, without, for instance, being a detriment to the other players in a match. TexMod is one example of a program that doesn't really give anyone an advantage over someone else. I've heard about certain programs that help disabled players, and those seem just fine, too. And of course there are others. We can't say "Sure, use this and that and that other thing" because that's tantamount to "approval," but we do recognize the distinction between advantage-giving programs and those that simply make it easier to play the game under specific circumstances."