Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Son, I am proud

QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
There is no way this is not going to sound patronizing, but here it goes anyway...

I feel we've been through a couple of phases here on the forums of MMORPG.com - infact, we are in a middle of a few. But I have noticed we have gotten over one fairly persistent one. It was when some posters thought that the people who enjoyed modern MMOs weren't "mature enough" to enjoy old-school MMOs.

Now the whole argument was laughable, but it was their way of bashing the players and the games of today back then. Its been quite a while now that I've seen comments like these, so I think it is safe to say that this phase is behind us and those posters have grown a little.

I know, I know, some still call the players stupid and lazy the developers inept, lazy, greedy and/or out of touch etc, but I'm encouraged to find that even with all this negativity, we are still moving forward. We are steadily heading towards acceptance that not everyone likes the same games we ourselves do and it is perfecly fine. And if the developer sees us as a niché market, thats OK too, we just have to rely on indie developers more.

Its all good.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

Comments

• ObiClownobiObiClownobi Member Posts: 186
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    There is no way this is not going to sound patronizing, but here it goes anyway...

I feel we've been through a couple of phases here on the forums of MMORPG.com - infact, we are in a middle of a few. But I have noticed we have gotten over one fairly persistent one. It was when some posters thought that the people who enjoyed modern MMOs weren't "mature enough" to enjoy old-school MMOs.

Now the whole argument was laughable, but it was their way of bashing the players and the games of today back then. Its been quite a while now that I've seen comments like these, so I think it is safe to say that this phase is behind us and those posters have grown a little.

I know, I know, some still call the players stupid and lazy the developers inept, lazy, greedy and/or out of touch etc, but I'm encouraged to find that even with all this negativity, we are still moving forward. We are steadily heading towards acceptance that not everyone likes the same games we ourselves do and it is perfecly fine. And if the developer sees us as a niché market, thats OK too, we just have to rely on indie developers more.

Its all good.

And yet you have admitted you don't play MMOs any more

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by ObiClownobi

Now, where did I say that?

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

SWTORs retention and TSWs sales are testaments of the genres progression.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Originally posted by XAPGames

Ehh? What progress?

ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469

I can't really agree.

if anything, there is slightly more WoW-tolenrance, meaning, you only get trolled a little bit for mentioning it, rather than the rest of the thread.

the only real problem on this site are the jaded MMO hipsters with smashed rose-colored glasses.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Originally posted by Zairu

I can't really agree.

if anything, there is slightly more WoW-tolenrance, meaning, you only get trolled a little bit for mentioning it, rather than the rest of the thread.

the only real problem on this site are the jaded MMO hipsters with smashed rose-colored glasses.

See, we have progressed. You've taken a pre-emptive strike on page 1 instead of waiting 3 pages for the pot to boil over.

Yay us!!!

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• ObiClownobiObiClownobi Member Posts: 186

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5506823#5506823

here, just yesterday

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Quirhid Originally posted by ObiClownobi Originally posted by Quirhid  

here, just yesterday

I could not resist.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

I can't really agree.

I agree and I think it's because people discovered there was something worse than WoW, an array of games like WoW but not as polished or supported image.  Now most of those games are free which beings me to my next point:

IMO I see the jaded "old timers" (I would probably be included in this group) as the stuffy-shirt conservatives of the fanbase proclaiming how good "the old days" were.  Who are the hipsters? I think they are the F2P players that brag about how they don't spend anything and thier gameplay is paid for by others like it's some well thought out scheme.  There's a snootiness to it for sure.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

here, just yesterday

Boom! Good eye ;)

And Lizardbones: your reply had me in tears. Thanks.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Originally posted by lizardbones

here, just yesterday

I could not resist.

When I'm "actively playing" something, I don't play anything else except maybe some recently released (very good) SP game. Point is, I have 2-3 MMOs installed on my PC right now, and I don't feel like logging into any of them daily - hence "not actively playing". Awaiting to see if I get into Neverwinter's beta.

...and lizardbones should've atleast waited for my reply. image

Originally posted by Aelious

I can't really agree.

I agree and I think it's because people discovered there was something worse than WoW, an array of games like WoW but not as polished or supported image.  Now most of those games are free which beings me to my next point:

IMO I see the jaded "old timers" (I would probably be included in this group) as the stuffy-shirt conservatives of the fanbase proclaiming how good "the old days" were.  Who are the hipsters? I think they are the F2P players that brag about how they don't spend anything and thier gameplay is paid for by others like it's some well thought out scheme.  There's a snootiness to it for sure.

the hipsters are those that feel self-entitled and look down on others for making choices that vary from their own, which is really ridiculous considering that we are only talking about video games. but still it persists.

Originally posted by Torvaldr

TSW had the agility and foresight to change their business model to save their game.  Not long ago they along with the rest of studios would have let it die blaming the game and not the business model.  I think they learned and progressed from AoC and its horrible transition to F2P.

Starting off with the triple dip wasn't the wisest decision, but maybe they were testing the waters.  Once they figured out the temperature really was tepid, they adjusted and moved on.  Good for them.

OH I see. That is progress since the game still lives while it really died.

I wonder if science can copy that to include humans.

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

here, just yesterday

I could not resist.

When I'm "actively playing" something, I don't play anything else except maybe some recently released (very good) SP game. Point is, I have 2-3 MMOs installed on my PC right now, and I don't feel like logging into any of them daily. Awaiting to see if I get into Neverwinter's beta.

...and lizardbones should've atleast waited for my reply. image

I have internet explorer installed on my PC.  I haven't chosen to use it for years.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by ObiClownobi Originally posted by Quirhid 

here, just yesterday
    I could not resist.
    When I'm "actively playing" something, I don't play anything else except maybe some recently released (very good) SP game. Point is, I have 2-3 MMOs installed on my PC right now, and I don't feel like logging into any of them daily - hence "not actively playing". Awaiting to see if I get into Neverwinter's beta.

...and lizardbones should've atleast waited for my reply.

Oh no. When the universe hands you something like that, you have to act. :-)

I'm the same way though. I generally focus on one or two games at a time, and it's not always MMOs. That doesn't mean I don't play MMOs, it just means I'm not playing one right now. Except I am playing The Secret World right now.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

I get it. We're good. image

here, just yesterday
    I could not resist.

...and lizardbones should've atleast waited for my reply.

I'm the same way though. I generally focus on one or two games at a time, and it's not always MMOs. That doesn't mean I don't play MMOs, it just means I'm not playing one right now. Except I am playing The Secret World right now.

I wouldn't be surprised if you had posted that from the in-game browser The Secret World includes :)

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by ArChWind

Ehh? What progress?

That's pretty much my interpretation as well.  The genre is changing trying to find growth, that's a given.  If it works, then it's progress.  If it doesn't, then it starts looking like a failed attempt.

The way I see it, MOBAs and flashy Asian F2P MMOs are in growth, but the western MMORPG market itself is floundering.

Regardless of what's behind the trend, one thing I consider clearly evident is that the western market has produced very few clear winners in the least five years.  I hardly consider the current state of the market cause for celebration.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.

That's pretty much my interpretation as well.  The genre is changing trying to find growth, that's a given.  If it works, then it's progress.  If it doesn't, then it starts looking like a failed attempt.

The way I see it, MOBAs and flashy Asian F2P MMOs are in growth, but the western MMORPG market itself is floundering.

Regardless of what's behind the trend, one thing I consider clearly evident is that the western market has produced very few clear winners in the least five years.  I hardly consider the current state of the market cause for celebration.

That sir is a good observation. I don't expect much to come out of the indies either becasue they just can't compete with mass productions unless they keep the games simple and stupid and then build on them.

I see you're still working on WAC and that is a good thing. I always saw that one as potential.  Keep plugging man.

:)

I can't really agree.

Hey, I'll take anything. When they had Darkfall and Mortal Online to wait for, they were reasonably tame. Now... they have nothing coming up for a long time really - or atleast I haven't seen any.

The next year is gonna be tough for them ...and thats why its gonna be tough for us too.

I can't really agree.

Hey, I'll take anything. When they had Darkfall and Mortal Online to wait for, they were reasonably tame. Now... they have nothing coming up for a long time really - or atleast I haven't seen any.

The next year is gonna be tough for them ...and thats why its gonna be tough for us too.

i started visiting this site when DF was the 'big topic' and man, those threads were vicious. worse than anything I see here these days.

I can't really agree.

i started visiting this site when DF was the 'big topic' and man, those threads were vicious. worse than anything I see here these days.

I remember the huge amount of "WAR IS COMING image" posts.  But then Warhammer Online came... and went.  Then there was darkfall, and it came, and went.  Now its coming back.

Personally I'm looking forward to things like Embers of Caerus, The Repopulation, ArcheAge and a few others more than anything Aventurine will ever develop.

I think we can agree that more variety in QUALITY games is a good thing.

• FishmittsFishmitts Member CommonPosts: 227
    When DayZ standalone comes out. We will forever leave you alone........... Ok, at least I will.

Really? I thought this year, and this fall in particular, has definitely been one of the worst. You see the GW2 craze and fandom birthed quite a hater's club. Some would bring up GW2 and start bashing it even when the topic was about anything but. I'd call that pretty severe.

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437
    So you are proud because the MMORPG genre is completely destroyed. Ok. Good for you I guess.