Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is this game under the radar here!

Comments

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    This forum is horrible for getting gaming info from other than the Site Articles and videos the forum is a joke. Look at any game forum on here, they are all filled with crap.
  • jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Mischiff

Why does this game seem to be under the radar on this web site?

On tentonhammer.com,. it got voted the most anticipated game for 2013. ive not seen any info  on MMORPG's home page yet.  Maybe i missed it ..  From what ive seen , it looks promising.  Least till Arche Age comes out.

The game is not under the radar at all. There have been many articles about it.

It's not getting a lot of love here because it seems that there are many people who are not excited on how they designed it.

Its not getting a lot of love because its basically just DAoC 2 with a TES skin. That is the reason why so many TES fans hate the idea of this game. TES is more than just names and places...so,much like KOTOR, the series is going to be SWTOR instead of KOTOR 3 with multi-player capabilities like it should have been.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by jtcgs

On tentonhammer.com,. it got voted the most anticipated game for 2013. ive not seen any info  on MMORPG's home page yet.  Maybe i missed it ..  From what ive seen , it looks promising.  Least till Arche Age comes out.

The game is not under the radar at all. There have been many articles about it.

It's not getting a lot of love here because it seems that there are many people who are not excited on how they designed it.

Its not getting a lot of love because its basically just DAoC 2 with a TES skin. That is the reason why so many TES fans hate the idea of this game. TES is more than just names and places...so,much like KOTOR, the series is going to be SWTOR instead of KOTOR 3 with multi-player capabilities like it should have been.

Which falls under the "there are many peopel who are not excited with how they designed it." People can just fill in their beef as you did.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

im neutral on the game but it has been in editors picks

Bill's Games of 2013

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It's not really daoc 2 though is it.

It has a "you are the hero" storyline
    It has instancing
    It has phasing
    It doesn't have player housing
    It doesn't have ffa and coop alternate server rulesets (which incidentally would key you go everywhere and not lock you to factions)
    It has an instanced raiding endgame

Just concerned daoc will take a bunch of flack it doesn't deserve if the game turns out shite.

A daoc 2 in a tes skin would be closer to tes than the stuff I've heard about lately.

Which falls under the "there are many peopel who are not excited with how they designed it." People can just fill in their beef as you did.

The OPs replies told me he needs to "see" the reasons, not something uniform. Notices how I didnt say you were wrong, just gave details.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

The OPs replies told me he needs to "see" the reasons, not something uniform. Notices how I didnt say you were wrong, just gave details.

Well, that's true so I'll give you that. But there are some players who don't mind the 3 sided fight. The DAoC bits. I certainly don't.  I would probably say they more mind being forced into a side rather than giving them the choice to join a side (myself included). Also,  Elder Scrolls players probably mind more that they can't explore the world with one character but need to make multiple characters. Which I also mind MORE than the DAoC bits.

For instance, in skyrim, you can be either the storm cloaks or the Imperial Legion. Two sides. ESO just has an added side so it's not too different where you have factions going against each other.

However, forcing players into a side, though I understand the thempark  mmo reasoning, doesn't really fit into the freedom of an elderscroll game.

hmmmm I'll also add that requiring a person to be in a side might be a huge issue now that I think about it because you don't have to join either side in skyrim.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Well, that's true so I'll give you that. But there are some players who don't mind the 3 sided fight. The DAoC bits. I certainly don't.  I would probably say they more mind being forced into a side rather than giving them the choice to join a side (myself included). Also,  Elder Scrolls players probably mind more that they can't explore the world with one character but need to make multiple characters. Which I also mind MORE than the DAoC bits.

For instance, in skyrim, you can be either the storm cloaks or the Imperial Legion. Two sides. ESO just has an added side so it's not too different where you have factions going against each other.

However, forcing players into a side, though I understand the thempark  mmo reasoning, doesn't really fit into the freedom of an elderscroll game.

hmmmm I'll also add that requiring a person to be in a side might be a huge issue now that I think about it because you don't have to join either side in skyrim.

Ahh, but there is the trick. Being forced to pick sides is there because the game IS DaoC 2. If the game was TES, they would be making it so you wouldnt be forced to pick at the start, they would be making it based on TESs openness to capture the popularity of the games.

The game is locked into its current ways because its being made by the DaoC team that wanted to make DaoC 2 and started their project based on that. All the limitations they are placing into this game is based on their past projects, not the IP...and the fact they are using old outdated ideas shows little hope of the game being remotely innovative but instead just another MMO...they could have gone in a new direction, fitting the IP.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Ecoces

MMORPG.com is the MMO hipster hangout.

ewww it doesn't have open world PVP ewww

ewww it doesn't have full loot ewww

ewww it has instances ewww

ewww its not a sandbox ewww

id rather wait for "the Repopulation" or insert some other obscure indie title thats made by 4 guys in their parents basement.

Exactly 100% accurate assessment of these forums.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Originally posted by Anthur

@OP

I wouldn't say it is "under  the radar". Check the News articles, there have been at least 3 news articles during the last weeks.

But you are right, the hype for TESO is not very high on this page. Personally I am in the same boat. I really don't see much about TESO which would get me hyped.

I wouldn't say this is a bad thing though.  It's not getting over-hyped like every game that's come along since WoW.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    They're not making daoc 2 though are they. If they were most of the complaints would be solved by rolling on a ffa or coop server instead of a core one.
  • deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by paulytheb
    Originally posted by remyburke
    It's low on my radar because the game is just more of the same. /yawn

This pretty much sums it up. Add a shield block to GW2 and it sounds like it could be the same game. ( Except you are not zone locked in GW2. )

Some will really really like it.

However, I have a fear that they are walking into a trap. They are quite possibly making a game that will make NO ONE happy.The TES fans will say its not enough like a TES game and the MMO fans will say it is too much like a TES game or it is a clone.

Myself? No thank you. I am tired of the derivative  EQ/WOW gameplay and I yearn for something different. I will have to keep voting with my wallet I guess. I will be taking a pass on this one. Its ok though, lots of good single player games I have to get caught up on.

Pong got boring and went away after a while. Space Invaders got boring and went away. Pacman got boring. Side Scrollers got boring. Top down RPG's got boring. Rock Band games got boring. The same could happen to the MMO genre if there is no innovation soon.

GW2 is tab target, no progression, no quests, no raids, no trinity

TESO is reticle targeting, deep progression (every skill, armor and weapon has its own leveling tree), quests, raids,  trinity and less restrictive itemization.

Its pretty much taking the things gw2 did right and ignoring the things it didnt, while also including things that other games have done right (gear progression & end game), while also keeping the gameplay of the singleplayer tes games (right click block left swing hold left to power swing etc) and giving us deep skill progression system

Its certainly not a clone of anything

Originally posted by deakon

GW2 is tab target, no progression, no quests, no raids, no trinity

well, 2 out of 5 is good I guess...for some.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    Well OP to be honest the game isn't under the radar on this site its just a hot button issue that brings some forum danger into posting. A lot of old crusty die hard MMO vets linger here and they frothed at the mouth once they heard an MMO like the Elder Scrolls was in the works. But then the reveal showed it to be a trumped up WOW clone with bits of DAOC and a single player story focus. This so went against the expectations people had for an Elder Scrolls game that the anxiety and dissapointment doesn't stop to this day. If anything, TESO forum is kind of the site barf bucket. That description might fit the SWTOR forum too in that it really messed with some people when it flopped.
  • Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

because it wont play like a elder scrolls game

it will play like any other theme park mmo, while thats fine if done right this is a title that holds dear to people and to see it slapped with a cookie cutter theme that has been done to death and completly changes what we love about that title kills any hype we would have for it

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• CombspeCombspe Member UncommonPosts: 140
    Originally posted by Squeak69

because it wont play like a elder scrolls game

it will play like any other theme park mmo, while thats fine if done right this is a title that holds dear to people and to see it slapped with a cookie cutter theme that has been done to death and completly changes what we love about that title kills any hype we would have for it

I like how you know all of this without even playing the damned game. Jesus it's not even in alpha yet you people act like you know everything about the game.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Combspe
    Originally posted by Squeak69 because it wont play like a elder scrolls game it will play like any other theme park mmo, while thats fine if done right this is a title that holds dear to people and to see it slapped with a cookie cutter theme that has been done to death and completly changes what we love about that title kills any hype we would have for it
    I like how you know all of this without even playing the damned game. Jesus it's not even in alpha yet you people act like you know everything about the game.

There is a number of interviews on this site and many others outlining which 'features' are in the game.... Most are theme park standard.

So No, people cant say with absolute certainty how the game is going to be, But there is more than enough information to make an educated guess to the point of highly probable as to how the game will play.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by Squeak69 because it wont play like a elder scrolls game it will play like any other theme park mmo, while thats fine if done right this is a title that holds dear to people and to see it slapped with a cookie cutter theme that has been done to death and completly changes what we love about that title kills any hype we would have for it

There is a number of interviews on this site and many others outlining which 'features' are in the game.... Most are theme park standard.

So No, people cant say with absolute certainty how the game is going to be, But there is more than enough information to make an educated guess to the point of highly probable as to how the game will play.

Well, I'll take an educated guess and say he is wrong and those that believe this are wrong and I'll even back up what I say with sources that have actually played the god damned game.

Elder Scrolls Off the Record:

“If you were worried that The Elder Scrolls Online might end up being just another MMO that you’ve played a million times before, you can rest easy. The team at Zenimax Online Studios have created a game that feels unlike anything you’ve ever experienced, yet not so foreign that you will have to relearn everything from the ground up. And with the goal of creating an Elder Scrolls game that also happens to be an MMO, you’re going to feel right at home during your adventures in Tamriel.”

http://elderscrollsonline.com/en/news/post/2012/10/24/dive-into-the-eso-preview-event-coverage

• SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231
    Originally posted by 3-4thElf

I think even people excited for this meh game hopes it's an end of a completely useless cycle.

Taking the 2003 era theme park model and forcing it on an IP just can't be exciting any longer. Plus Elder Scrolls fans like me (there's a few out there like me) are completely disgusted with the pigeon holed cookie cutter game they're hoping to cash in on.

Any Elder Scrolls game that lacks the ability to customize a class, free roam, join any faction isn't an Elder Scrolls game.

But you can free roam and customize your class. I'm not going to say it will be a success or anything cause quite frankly we haven't seen enough yet.

Skyrim strayed away abit from being an Elder Scrolls game the day they decided to dumb the game down by limiting who can die and removing all consequence from joining a certain faction. I don't mind streamlining but imo newer games should improve on past installments, not downgrade and remove things.

I'll stay cautiously optimistic about TESO and by this point you should know that this isn't a pure ES game (like no shit kid).

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by Ecoces

MMORPG.com is the MMO hipster hangout.

ewww it doesn't have open world PVP ewww

ewww it doesn't have full loot ewww

ewww it has instances ewww

ewww its not a sandbox ewww

id rather wait for "the Repopulation" or insert some other obscure indie title thats made by 4 guys in their parents basement.

Exactly 100% accurate assessment of these forums.

I think you actually realize how ridiculous and generalizing this statement is, and how far from the truth it can really be when you look into the deeply rooted themepark vs. sandbox discussion that takes place here. Why anyone continues to promote this sentiment is beyond me, and it's certainly not winning hearts or changing minds.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

Originally posted by Nitth  

There is a number of interviews on this site and many others outlining which 'features' are in the game.... Most are theme park standard. So No, people cant say with absolute certainty how the game is going to be, But there is more than enough information to make an educated guess to the point of highly probable as to how the game will play.
    Well, I'll take an educated guess and say he is wrong and those that believe this are wrong and I'll even back up what I say with sources that have actually played the god damned game.

Elder Scrolls Off the Record:

“If you were worried that The Elder Scrolls Online might end up being just another MMO that you’ve played a million times before, you can rest easy. The team at Zenimax Online Studios have created a game that feels unlike anything you’ve ever experienced, yet not so foreign that you will have to relearn everything from the ground up. And with the goal of creating an Elder Scrolls game that also happens to be an MMO, you’re going to feel right at home during your adventures in Tamriel.”

http://elderscrollsonline.com/en/news/post/2012/10/24/dive-into-the-eso-preview-event-coverage

That's PR. Of course its going to be pro elderscolls online.

As i said before, There are mods here that have played, And interviewed the devs extracting information about the elder scrolls on line.

You cant deny dev confirmed posts like "you can only play in one province per character" for instance which a large majority is not in favor of.

I can link a few interviews if you like?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Yes. Do us all a favor and backup your so called "claims"

Yes. Do us all a favor and backup your so called "claims"

Any one in particular?

You cant deny dev confirmed posts like "you can only play in one province per character" for instance which a large majority is not in favor of.

I can link a few interviews if you like?

How about this^

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    I think the game will be decent and can't wait to give it a shot myself.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"