Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What I want to see in a modern MMO

Comments

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Starpower
    Less threadmill, more fun

Less [undefined], more [semantic null].

Sure, that'll work. We think.

I realize I speak in relative terms but since I'm only speaking for myself I don't really have to specify do I?

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by paulytheb
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

I can make the world dark, make people slow down and make crafting relevant?  Wow I had no idea I had so much power !

Its ok though, be contrarian if you wish.

1) world dark .. sure .. just turn down the brigtness/gamma of your graphics setting.

2) make "people slow down"? Why? I thought you are talking slow travel for yourself. Why would you care how I play my game? And you can certainlyl slow yourself down, can't you?

3) crafting relevant ... it is relevant to you if you wear crafted items, right?

Yeah, you have the power, you just choose to ignore it.

Ok now you are just being silly. I get it.   :-)

As I have already pointed out, there is a new modern game out there that satisfies your critera.

Why the contrarian attitude towards someone who wants something different?

I am not peeing on your dreams, your game is out there already. Your advice to me is to turn my monitor off.

Thanks.

what "contrarian attitude"? If you adopt some of these advice, the game you want is here .. or at least partly here. That is better than nothing, right?

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

I realize I speak in relative terms but since I'm only speaking for myself I don't really have to specify do I?

Sure, but when you say "Fun", I think of a band. :shrug: S'your dime.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Sure, but when you say "Fun", I think of a band. :shrug: S'your dime.

What's the band?

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

Why is everyone in such a damn hurry all the time?  Games aren't work. No taskmaster is at your back with a whip. I just wish  the people playing would slow down and smell the roses a bit.

Because people are busy? I don't have all day to play games, and i would like my 30 min to be entertaining. It is not like i am hurrying when i play ... but i also don't want to spend 15 of those 30 min staring a a spellbook, or chatting to get a group.

You are in luck my friend!  There's this brand new game that's just come out.  It's the latest thing and sounds like its right up your alley.  Perhaps you've heard of it.  It's called World of Warcraft.  It's only been out for like 8 years or so now.

I too wish we had more games that play more like the older games.  The journey was the fun, now gamers want to log in and win a game that was never supposed to be won.  I can see it now, the next innovation Blizzard will bring to the community in Titan will be the "I win" button.  Log in, press it and BAM!!!  You are already at the level cap with the best gear.  Everyone kows the Blizzard crowd have real lives and are too busy to be bothered with anything less like experiencing the journey.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

As to the OP's original post: I can do without the darkness. I never really liked them in other games.  Since I'm playing a game, I don't have my other senses such as smell, surround sound, and spidey sense to enhance my surroundings while in the darkness. I want to play the game, not stumble into trees.

The other two on the wish list I agree with completely. Slower leveling curve and worthwhile crafting would be great.

Originally posted by steamtank

He wants an MMO where the OPTIMAL playstyle is still hard.

There are plenty. Do hard mode raid in WOW. Don't tell me it is a cake walk. I have done hard mode raiding for a while. It is like 3 hour practice every week for many weeks.

He wants an MMO where community is formed due to game mechanics. Everyone levels slow enough that you can actually meet people and if you go ofline for the night still be in level range to play with those people the next day.

or .. you speed up leveling so most players have max level characters. So if you meet someone at max level, you are in level range to play with the next day.

Because he wears crafted gear doesn't mean that gear is relevant. If it doesn't have a chance of being of equal value in its level range to found gear it is not relevant. If you have to be lvl 30 to craft lvl 20 gear.. that gear is not relevant. If no one wants to buy your gear beause you had to make 600 pieces in order to get to crafting lvl 31 and EVERYONE else is crafting that same piece 600 times none will ever sell for anything other than materials.

Define relevant. If by relevant, you mean BIS? If you look at WOW AH prices, crafted stuff can make a profit. I have done that before. It is not BIS by any chance (except may be one or two piece), but not zero value either. Certainly not as good as top raid gear .. but that is not what "relevant" means.

i understand this desire. i also agree with it.

The point is that these desires can be fulfilled, with a bit of creativity, in many modern MMOs.

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053

1. LFD/LFR instance grouping feature2. teleports .. no long boat rides3. AH4. Don't need to commit to play 3 hours to get any where.5. Good fun combat mechanics.6. Choices of difficulty levels

You have just all the reasons to play a video game, not a roleplaying game. You want to be entertained, because your life itself.. is boring. Roleplayers want to discover, explore and be told "you cant do that.." only years later to prove them wrong.

Go play Battlefield, or Batman.. ur not a mmo player, ur a child who wants fo be baby sat...

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

Originally posted by Latronus

Why is everyone in such a damn hurry all the time?  Games aren't work. No taskmaster is at your back with a whip. I just wish  the people playing would slow down and smell the roses a bit.

Because people are busy? I don't have all day to play games, and i would like my 30 min to be entertaining. It is not like i am hurrying when i play ... but i also don't want to spend 15 of those 30 min staring a a spellbook, or chatting to get a group.

You are in luck my friend!  There's this brand new game that's just come out.  It's the latest thing and sounds like its right up your alley.  Perhaps you've heard of it.  It's called World of Warcraft.  It's only been out for like 8 years or so now.

I too wish we had more games that play more like the older games.  The journey was the fun, now gamers want to log in and win a game that was never supposed to be won.  I can see it now, the next innovation Blizzard will bring to the community in Titan will be the "I win" button.  Log in, press it and BAM!!!  You are already at the level cap with the best gear.  Everyone kows the Blizzard crowd have real lives and are too busy to be bothered with anything less like experiencing the journey.

You seem to indicate a journey has to be long to be worthwhile .. which is, of course, totally bonus.

If leveling is fun, i don't see why you need to do it for a year, when 2 weeks will be as fun. And for those who just want to say arena pvp, you are right .. look at LOL .. no more leveling. Just jump in and pvp. That is probably one reason why LOL is now bigger than WOW.

Originally posted by Phelcher

1. LFD/LFR instance grouping feature

2. teleports .. no long boat rides

3. AH

4. Don't need to commit to play 3 hours to get any where.

5. Good fun combat mechanics.

6. Choices of difficulty levels

You have just all the reasons to play a video game, not a roleplaying game. You want to be entertained, because your life itself.. is boring. Roleplayers want to discover, explore and be told "you cant do that.." only years later to prove them wrong. Go play Battlefield, or Batman.. ur not a mmo player, ur a child who wants fo be baby sat...

On the contrary, why should i play Batman when STO (or fill in another MMO) will satisfy my desire? There is no reason to skip it just because it is a MMO, particularly if it is fun by my preference.

And why do you think i don't play Batman? That is not mutally exclusive from MMOs, is it?

I wonder, if it only takes 7, 10, 15 years to burn a player out to the point where he gives up on MMOs and begins chanting doom...

...how many years until he tires of chanting doom and finds another hobby?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

I wonder, if it only takes 7, 10, 15 years to burn a player out to the point where he gives up on MMOs and begins chanting doom...

...how many years until he tires of chanting doom and finds another hobby?

LOL ...

That is the other thing that mysterifies me. If people don't like MMOs, why do they come here? It is not like there is a lack of other things to do.

• Darb420Darb420 Member Posts: 34

what about the overuse of souldbound items?

I miss using a dope item like a fungi tunic on my main, than giving it to my level one twink....

I dont mind sould bound to an extent, but not EVERY single item

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576

I play age of Wushu

It has slower learning (skill based on a timer so no grinding up to level 80 in a week)

It has relevant crafting, the most relevant you can get as it is ALL crafted other than the starter stuff, further the hard part of crafting isn't getting your skill level up but getting the materials and other crafters to help you make that one epic super sword of doom.

It has good shadows but no day night cycle yet, alas you can not have them all I suppose.

It even has that old school learning curve because there isn't a thotbott or wiki for it yet.

oh but it has horrible translations and you need to pay 10 dollars a month to get the most out of it so...yea.

• steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391

There are plenty. Do hard mode raid in WOW. Don't tell me it is a cake walk. I have done hard mode raiding for a while. It is like 3 hour practice every week for many weeks.

He wants an MMO where community is formed due to game mechanics. Everyone levels slow enough that you can actually meet people and if you go ofline for the night still be in level range to play with those people the next day.

or .. you speed up leveling so most players have max level characters. So if you meet someone at max level, you are in level range to play with the next day.

Because he wears crafted gear doesn't mean that gear is relevant. If it doesn't have a chance of being of equal value in its level range to found gear it is not relevant. If you have to be lvl 30 to craft lvl 20 gear.. that gear is not relevant. If no one wants to buy your gear beause you had to make 600 pieces in order to get to crafting lvl 31 and EVERYONE else is crafting that same piece 600 times none will ever sell for anything other than materials.

Define relevant. If by relevant, you mean BIS? If you look at WOW AH prices, crafted stuff can make a profit. I have done that before. It is not BIS by any chance (except may be one or two piece), but not zero value either. Certainly not as good as top raid gear .. but that is not what "relevant" means.

The point is that these desires can be fulfilled, with a bit of creativity, in many modern MMOs.

bahahaha. WoW hard mode.   3 hours practice?  BAHAHAHAHAHAHA, THAT IT? thats not hard... thats half of 1 play session

why would i want to speed up max level? if i wanted that i would just play a game that didnt have a level on my character

Again, WoW is your only reference. I made money on the WoW AH system. but i wouldnt be caught dead wearing crafted gear inthat game. Its worthless once you hit that Max level you are so keen to be at

I am a min/max player. I like HARD games that inspire community development. If I can solo my way to being awesome then I will just play an RPG and not worry about a sub fee. I sub to play with people, because making comrades and playing with them INCREASES the enjoyment and profitablity of your character in the game

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

bahahaha. WoW hard mode.   3 hours practice?  BAHAHAHAHAHAHA, THAT IT? thats not hard... thats half of 1 play session

Please link your hardmode achievements. Thx.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

As if we are so far into the future that current MMOs are antiques.

It's like saying the 2013 model of a car is modern but the 2010 one is not.

Rather the covered wagon is not modern, and all cars are.

All MMOs are modern, Go is a game that is not.

All this talk of "next generation" and yet that really means most times "hey we are launching a game"

• steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

As if we are so far into the future that current MMOs are antiques.

It's like saying the 2013 model of a car is modern but the 2010 one is not.

Rather the covered wagon is not modern, and all cars are.

All MMOs are modern, Go is a game that is not.

All this talk of "next generation" and yet that really means most times "hey we are launching a game"

the video game (and mmo market) right now are at war for our entertainment money. and like real wars thats when the most innovational technologies are introduced to 1up the competition.

That being said... I would go back and play CoX if it was still active, even at its $15 a month.  Mostly for the social aspect, that community was great

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363

I think I have figured it out.

Everytime I see a thread like this one, somebody feels the need to instantly list the exact opposite features that the OP wishes for.

I believe that those folks are scared that once an epic modern sandbox game with an oldschool design philosophy becomes a huge success that their friends will flock to a game that they themselves do not care for.

Then of course once a deep meaningful MMO experience becomes en vouge, all the development money will flow that direction further reducing the amount and quality of the style of games that the contrarian types do currently enjoy.

I just can't see any other reason to keep shooting other people's wishes down.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

And you surmise "that's insufficient"?

I mean, we are on the internet.

Occam posits another explanation: this trend you believe you perceive may just be observational bias

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

Everytime I see a thread like this one, somebody feels the need to instantly list the exact opposite features that the OP wishes for.

I believe that those folks are scared that once an epic modern sandbox game with an oldschool design philosophy becomes a huge success that their friends will flock to a game that they themselves do not care for.

Then of course once a deep meaningful MMO experience becomes en vouge, all the development money will flow that direction further reducing the amount and quality of the style of games that the contrarian types do currently enjoy.

Why do you think thats what they are doing?

One person lists their wish list, another person lists theirs.  They want different things.  If it's ok for one person to do it, its ok for the other.

Thats it, nothing more. 

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

Why do you think thats what they are doing?

One person lists their wish list, another person lists theirs.  They want different things.  If it's ok for one person to do it, its ok for the other.

Thats it, nothing more. 

My wishlist for pauly is for a more readable font color, especially since my vision is color deficient.

Originally posted by kadepsyson

My wishlist for pauly is for a more readable font color, especially since my vision is color deficient.

My wishlish for the board in general is to get rid of non-link colors.

But then folks would just revert to ALLCAPS for attention, like the 80s, I suppose.

• hraethhraeth Member UncommonPosts: 34

Wow all, thanks for the replies.  To clarify:

1.  Wow hard mode doesn't really meet what I'm looking for.  Yes, I want more difficult content but I'd also like differeing content.  Running the same linear dungeons over and over again isn't fun for me.  Neither is reading the same book 3 times in a row or watching the same episode of 30 Rock 30 times.  I played WoW... we did some harde modes.  In the end it was just too much repetition. 

2.  Why slow the leveling curve?  I believe this to be pretty straight forward.  I'm looking for a world to "live in" as much as or more than a game to play through.  We rush to "end game" as if it is an important accomplishment then run the same few dungeons and raids over and over ad nauseum.  It isn't about the idea that journey is more important or better than destination.  It's about the fact that once you reach the destination you're largely done.  If we played life the way we played MMO's we'd rush to old age then quit life in hopes that we will be ressurected in a better / different life which we would also rush through.  I'm looking for the long term commitment version of an MMO rather than the speed dating version.  Speed dating has it's adherents.  I'm just not one of them.

3.  Someone asked me to define "relevant crafting".  I had felt that I'd done a pretty good job of that in the first post but I'll give it another go.  Relevant means that at the level it is crafted it is 80 - 120% as useful as non crafted gear for the same level.  It would also be helpful to be able to craft the gear at the level it is inteded to be worn at.  I would also like it quite a bit if the gear wasn't outstripped by other crafted or dropped gear 15 minutes later.  I want to feel like I accomplished something when I craft a piece of gear for myself.  Back in the early days of EQ i crafed spidersilk armor on my necro.  It took me a few days to gather together all the items that I needed and when I finally had a full set on it was ugly and the only stat was armor but it was SOMETHING when a lot of characters of the same level had nothing in those slots.  I could take an extra hit or two now and it felt great!  I didn't replace that gear for quite a while.  Nothing better dropped.  In early EQ it was more about the adventure and exploration than about getting gear to kill bigger things to get better gear... etc.  I'm looking for an adventure not a treadmill and crafting useful gear (even things like food, and lightsources, etc) is part of that adventure.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

I like crafting, hmm maybe thats not entirely true, sometimes it makes me want to gauge my eyes out.  Rather I like being self-sufficient and crafting is part of that.

It is a very very fine like between good crafting, and a horrible grind, and sometimes just depends on my mood. 

One thing that I have noticed about games with "good crafting" that I absolutely hate is the level requirements.  I"ll use Istaria as an example.  My latest dragon is lvl 15 adventurere and now 32 crafter.  At level 20 (either crafting or adventurer) I was able to use a next tier scale pack (back pack for dragons) but I can't craft it till 36, at which point their is only 4 more levels till I can use the next tier scale pack which I can't craft till 60 and I allready use the next pack.

This makes crafting IMO completely pointless.  Why craft something I can't use.  Let me be able to craft it when I can use it, or relatively soon after I use it, not when it's completely pointless.  It just bugs me.

Thats what I want out of MMO's, usefull crafting (no not no dropped loot just usefull crafting).

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.