Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE's PvE to get reworked. FINALLY!

MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2462718#post2462718

That's probably one of the most encouraging devpots I've ever read. EVE's PvE has been barely better than a placeholder for 10 years and finally they've recognised the need to join the 21st century with it.

This rates a FUCK YEAH!

Give me liberty or give me lasers

Comments

• sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697

Wow, this sounds very interesting.

Might even give it a try when it's live :)

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• jagd1jagd1 Member Posts: 281
    Originally posted by Malcanis

That's probably one of the most encouraging devpots I've ever read.

Translation : We lost a lot subscription because of this mission crap /drone nerf  ,we hope keep people still subbed while promising this .

Where are you now malcanis was cheering for CCP and saying CCP cant do wrong

''

We are aware of the recent changes brought by the NPC AI. As said in our previous post, the first NPC behavior deployed for Retribution was too extreme and has been corrected. However, we are aware that drone ships are receiving the short end of the stick here and have been ignored for quite a bit.  ''

They abondoned you ?  http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/371433/I-heard-drones-got-nerfed.html

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Don't get too excited. If you know CCP, it's going to be a long, long, long time before anything translates from a dev post on the forums to anything tangible on the game itself.

Nice to know they have not completely abandoned PvE, though.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Sounds interesting.

I'm curious whether mission runners are ready for what they're asking.  Until now they've been wrecking level 4 missions in ultra expensive faction fit boats with very little chance of getting popped.  Suddenly the threat becomes very real.  Will they be as exited after their first CNR blows up in a spectacular fireworks show.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by dave6660

Sounds interesting.

I'm curious whether mission runners are ready for what they're asking.  Until now they've been wrecking level 4 missions in ultra expensive faction fit boats with very little chance of getting popped.  Suddenly the threat becomes very real.  Will they be as exited after their first CNR blows up in a spectacular fireworks show.

There's no good game design reason for any PvE in EVE to be effectively perfectly safe, which L4 missions are once you've learned the spawn patterns and copied the optimal fit.

• SlaverHoundSlaverHound Member Posts: 109

They'll do something stupid with it like move level 4 missions to null sec and massively reduce the mission payouts across all levels.

Which will piss people off yet again for no reason at all except to push players into null sec while they call their game a sand box.

"Lectroids? Planet 10? Nuclear extortion? A girl named "John"?

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    Always interested in seeing changes to the game. I usually hold my criticisms for something conrete than to yell at them for what I speculate as to what they are going to do. As a near pure Gallente pilot I am super excited about a revamp to the drone system. I would also like to see a completely new hull for the Dominix.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Could be interesting.

PvE definitely needs lots of work.

Hopefully they are talking about not just missions running and combat PvE re-do but also major updates to things like trade/hauling/crafting/gathering systems and mechanics.

Originally posted by BadSpock

Could be interesting.

Hopefully they are talking about not just missions running and combat PvE re-do but also major updates to things like trade/hauling/crafting/gathering systems and mechanics.

In the DevBlog they mentioned that the expansion that introduced wormholes, which advanced and expanded all aspects of EVE, would be more of the example they want to follow for now instead of the recent focus-on-one-at-a-time expansion.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.

• BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388

If people can't handle the recent drone changes (which I love btw), not sure they'll be able to cope with more difficult missions.

That being said, I'm very excited that they'll be taking a look at PVE. It's a large part of the game for some, and that paer has spent enough time getting kicked to the back of the line by myopic pvpers.

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by jagd1

That's probably one of the most encouraging devpots I've ever read.

Translation : We lost a lot subscription because of this mission crap /drone nerf  ,we hope keep people still subbed while promising this .

EVE has grown in subscriptions year over year, every single year, since release.  Not even WoW can claim that, and EVE is older than WoW.

In any event, more to do for every type of player with every expansion is a gutsy move that will be difficult, but could be amazing.  No more expansions that cater to just one type of player leaving the rest with nothing much to show for it.  Instead more expansions where everyone has something new or improved.  Awesome.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

Could be interesting.

Somehow that seems like a wish for EVE 2.0 rather than something we are liable to get. However, I agree with you.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick

Could be interesting.

Somehow that seems like a wish for EVE 2.0 rather than something we are liable to get. However, I agree with you.

EVE doesn't need to do a 2.0 like other game companies have done for their games.  If you compare screenshots of EVE, feature lists, underlying technology to EVE as it stands today you'll see that there have been massive improvements all over the game.

EVE with CCP can continue to improve further and look better without launching a separate new version.  All these improvements are included in the subscription fee as well.  Even people who subscribe today get all the expansions included.  How many other subscription MMOs do that?

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

That's probably one of the most encouraging devpots I've ever read. EVE's PvE has been barely better than a placeholder for 10 years and finally they've recognised the need to join the 21st century with it.

This rates a FUCK YEAH!

Now that looks interesting. But from what I learned from playing EVE for almost six years, is that it might be QUITE some time before they actually get around to adding such things.  I was totally entertained by the idea that EVE isn't a PvP focused game... Given that the Dev's at CCP are some of the most PvP centric people I've ever seen, that was REALLY funny... ^^

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by Wraithone

This rates a FUCK YEAH!

Now that looks interesting. But from what I learned from playing EVE for almost six years, is that it might be QUITE some time before they actually get around to adding such things.  I was totally entertained by the idea that EVE isn't a PvP focused game... Given that the Dev's at CCP are some of the most PvP centric people I've ever seen, that was REALLY funny... ^^

Well getting a public agreement to how bad the PvE is, plus being exactly right about how to go about beginning to fix it can only be encouraging.

It's not like they could make the PvE any worse.

• zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395

i wonder if this is a reaction to star citizen or elite

fixing pve  and mining thats  a lot of work  for CCP to do

No, it's more a reaction to the fact that PvE in EVE (not including WH and Incursions) is crap and in no way prepares the player to the inevitability that is PvP, which they will at some point encounter, whether they want it or not.
    Originally posted by tom_gore
    No, it's more a reaction to the fact that PvE in EVE (not including WH and Incursions) is crap and in no way prepares the player to the inevitability that is PvP, which they will at some point encounter, whether they want it or not.

Especially with the majority of the population being Caldari doing missions in passive fit Drakes that take no brains at all.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Inevitability of PvP?  Since when?  Getting ganked at a gate or outside a starbase isn't PvP.  That's just taking a loss and moving on. 

What I find hilarious is that they are going to make missions harder.  Okay why not just make more lucrative missions and make THEM harder.  Level 4.5s or something.    I think what people want isn't harder more annoying missions, but missions that are more interesting, have more of a plot, less of the same old warp in, kill, loot, return.  CCP doesn't get it.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I've said it before and I'll say it again -

The future of PvE in the MMO space is going to be the kind of thing that Tabula Rasa flirted with, as well as CPP themselves have attempted on some scale to do with Sansha Incursions -

Persistent, global, open world, organized, territorial control based WARFARE against a semi-intelligent AI faction.

Some might call it a PvE version of RvR.

Or specifically in EvE's case - similar mechanics to current null system Soveriegnty and/or Faction Warfare.

Originally posted by adam_nox

Inevitability of PvP?  Since when?  Getting ganked at a gate or outside a starbase isn't PvP.  That's just taking a loss and moving on. 

What I find hilarious is that they are going to make missions harder.  Okay why not just make more lucrative missions and make THEM harder.  Level 4.5s or something.    I think what people want isn't harder more annoying missions, but missions that are more interesting, have more of a plot, less of the same old warp in, kill, loot, return.  CCP doesn't get it.

There are level 5 missions already.

Originally posted by tom_gore

In almost six years, the sum total of my PvP experience was two clowns attacking one of my battleships with a frig in high sec. I just sat back and watched Concord nuke them (both times).  I never left high sec, and I'm still part of SWA, after all this time.  If one takes precautions it makes it unlikely one is going to have problems.

I've said it before and I'll say it again -

The future of PvE in the MMO space is going to be the kind of thing that Tabula Rasa flirted with, as well as CPP themselves have attempted on some scale to do with Sansha Incursions -

Persistent, global, open world, organized, territorial control based WARFARE against a semi-intelligent AI faction.

Some might call it a PvE version of RvR.

Or specifically in EvE's case - similar mechanics to current null system Soveriegnty and/or Faction Warfare.

That was one of my favorite parts of Tabula Rasa.  Base defense/offense against the Bane was quite entertaining.  Its too bad that they never developed it beyond the early concept stage.

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760

Let's hope they let us choose which NPC corps we are willing to fight.

I'd rather not get standing blocked by getting two missions from NPC corps that I don't want to offend.

Oh well, I guess I'll just explore then...  Wormhole... Wormhole... Wormhole... Wormhole.... Wormhole...

"Curse you eve online!  Your user hostile game mechanics beat me once again!"

"Damn game itself is more hostile to me than the playerbase."

Log off.