Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Main Story is 100% Soloable

c0existc0exist Member UncommonPosts: 196
My question is this, if leveling and story quests are soloable why not just make another single player game?  I have been excited about this game since I heard news of it, as i am a huge rpg fan.  What makes the best mmorpgs in my opinion is that we are fighting as a group towards some evil incarnate or fighting for some other purpose.  Now sure some quests will be soloable but the fact that you can "beat the main story" by yourself contradicts the game being an mmo.  At that point its a single player game where you see random people running around instead of interacting with people to obtain a goal.  Because lets face it, an mmo is as good as its community and if you allow people to solo pretty much 90% of the game then a community doesnt exist.  My favorite mmorpg memories are when i was grouping with others and not through an instant match system where i would never see those people again but people who are actually on my server where i can call for their helkp and vice versa.  But maybe im weird, I really want to play this game and i will because i love elder scrolls game but the longevity of the game for me wont be there if this is the case.

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Because there are multiplayer aspects to the game too? Because, strange as it may seem, there is a market for games where you see other people playing, but are not necessarily directly interacting with them.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• c0existc0exist Member UncommonPosts: 196
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Because there are multiplayer aspects to the game too? Because, strange as it may seem, there is a market for games where you see other people playing, but are not necessarily directly interacting with them.

real people or npcs walking around, whats the difference?  No need to interact with them so who cares who is driving that character.  

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Maybe the main story is soloable so that someone who doesn't start playing at launch isn't gated from the Main story after eveyone else has already done it and he can't get a group to help him out.
  • kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    imo the story should be completely soloable..afterall its your story..not someone elses to share with.i hate it when they give you a storyline and force you to group up.plenty of otherstuff in game will be group orientated
  • JayarisJayaris Member Posts: 308
    Originally posted by c0exist

real people or npcs walking around, whats the difference?  No need to interact with them so who cares who is driving that character.  

All I know is Dark Souls is entirely soloable, but it's a sure lot cooler when you see other peoples echoes/bloodstains/mesages. And when you can invite people to help you play, even if it's not strictly neccesary.

Hi

Well i can see i am in the minority here, but that just defines us as what kind of games we like.  As i do realize there are mechanics in the game that encourage party setups.  
    Originally posted by Psychow
    Maybe the main story is soloable so that someone who doesn't start playing at launch isn't gated from the Main story after eveyone else has already done it and he can't get a group to help him out.

In games where the developers encourage interaction you dont have that problem because you have a healthy amount of friend in game or irl that are willing because you grouped with them the night before or helped them with a difficult quest.  Thats what builds a strong community and player base.  

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Fair enough its only the story. That's like 1 / 10th your play time if that. In mmos and TES single player.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by lizardbones Because there are multiplayer aspects to the game too? Because, strange as it may seem, there is a market for games where you see other people playing, but are not necessarily directly interacting with them.

The people playing the game. There is a difference when the players know that some of the other avatars are people and not AI.

Just because there is a 100% soloable storyline, does not mean there isn't multiplayer content.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    My question is this, if leveling and story quests are soloable why not just make another single player game? 

Because a MMO doesnt mean that you have to group up with others all the time.

you don't go to the toilet with a healer-tank-dps group as well?  At least I hope not.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890
    Cause if they call it an MMO they can throw in a marketplace or charge subs. Why make a singleplayer game with some DLC when you can call it an MMO an rake it in?
  • EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

no where in Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game does it say you have to be grouped up with those other players.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Sooooooo... am I going to be 1 of 3 million "heroes" or will the story actually make sense for a change?

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by NaughtyP
    Sooooooo... am I going to be 1 of 3 million "heroes" or will the story actually make sense for a change?

I assume you get all your information from this forum so you have no idea what your talking about. If you actually knew the story line you would not need to ask this question.

On topic though to OP, its a main storyline. Who cares if it is soloable or not. There is other stuff to do in the game that will require others to work together.  

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Grouping i like not because i need help in most cases, but because its a good way to see other classes skills, interact, be social, make friends, a good way to see if they are guild material. Also it helps people tone their skills to help people in group activities such as raids, pvp stuff, etc.

Grouping isnt required, just feels something is missing when you are alone running as fast as you can thru quests.

Sometimes it doesnt work well, sometimes you get people that dont know their role, and sometimes its just faster to go solo. But still, I would rather group up and adventure it kind of reminds me of older games and D&D settings.

I do both, sometimes though i just want my alone time to take it easy and explore.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Who cares its only the story, the least important part of an mmo, so unimportant many mmos manage to get by perfectly well by not having one.
  • adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by Ecoces

no where in Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game does it say you have to be grouped up with those other players.

There's no point in an mmo where people don't group up organically and do PUGs.  Games with little/no grouping or guild/friend only grouping aren't worth a sub fee or anything past a box price, and most mmos like that aren't even worth the box price because the solo content (SWTOR GW2) isn't worth playing.

• mikunimanmikuniman Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Your logic is flawed, in an single player rpg it's a single player experience with the exception of some that have a an option for another player. In an massive multiplayer you have content for both. Community makes an mmo? Some of the most sucessful mmo's have the worst communities. If you want to group you group if not have fun playing with yourself I always say.
  • VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Didn't they say that the story is soloable because they wanted that part of the game to be properly an Elder Scrolls experience? Personally (although I have reservations about the game) I like that there will be a solo element, a PVE element and a PVP element. Now it just needs to be a good game with tons of content and depth...
  • Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    Originally posted by Ecoces

There's no point in an mmo where people don't group up organically and do PUGs.  Games with little/no grouping or guild/friend only grouping aren't worth a sub fee or anything past a box price, and most mmos like that aren't even worth the box price because the solo content (SWTOR GW2) isn't worth playing.

Solo play and playing in solitude are two very different things. Or do you love having a group of family members hunched over you, trying to talk to you and sitting next to you while you play a mmo? Just because you like to play alone doesn't mean you want to be alone. It also doesn't mean you are not aware of the presence of others in game. Having that awareness that you are among many greatly effects what you play just as much if not more than how you play.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• XindaarXindaar Member Posts: 1

My case is a bit different. I am married and I work till late. So I can't find enough time to look for x many people to do just one quest.  And even I find the time to find a group to do a quest or dungeon I may not be online long enough to finish it and I don't want to leave the group in the middle of it.

So in my humble opinion, it's very convenient that it is %100 soloable.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Originally posted by Fearum
    Originally posted by NaughtyP

I assume you get all your information from this forum so you have no idea what your talking about. If you actually knew the story line you would not need to ask this question.

On topic though to OP, its a main storyline. Who cares if it is soloable or not. There is other stuff to do in the game that will require others to work together.  

Is the main storyline not a personal storyline? Hmmm. I thought it was. Guess not.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by kevjards
    imo the story should be completely soloable..afterall its your story..not someone elses to share with.i hate it when they give you a storyline and force you to group up.plenty of otherstuff in game will be group orientated

^^I agree ^^ Well said.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Rofl.  Imagine if in real life everyone but you was a robot and just a programmed individual, like an NPC.  Yeah, it would be pretty boring.  But real life isn't like that, it's filled with other people doing all kinds of things that aren't always preprogrammed and you never have to interact with any of them if you don't want to.  Which one would you choose?  Robots or real people?  Yeah, now apply that same analogy to MMORPGs.  Get it now?!

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

When you do a story quest in a group and you want to read/listen to the NPC before moving on, there is always a go go 14 year old who write in group chat "MOVE MOVE, COME ON "&T#¤&"/#¤" and that idiot runs off and aggro half the place before I even had the chance to reading/listen to the NPC, and then he write in chat  "#%%¤&% RP NOOB NERD" or something like that and blame everyone and his mother that he died.

So yeah It's perfect that the main story is 100% solo.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.