Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So, I re-subbed

outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

After nine years of not playing I  logged into the game started reading.  I own a Rupture, I have 45 (skill points: 2,992,606) and around 8m isk.  Great....now what? So I kept reading, reading and more reading. Oh, I am also a member of a corporation of one....me and my alt.

Launched, then docked...logged out

So far, this is what I found out:

wtf

I have no idea what to do next

Comments

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    What would you like to do?

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

There is at least one error in your calculation

C1 is 0,0241666666666....

That's probably where your problem lies. Hopefully it helps. ;)

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

I cant remember that much that far back.  I know I was mining for a large part helping the corp.

I have this huge ship and have no idea what to do now.  Can I still train?

Originally posted by Anthur

There is at least one error in your calculation

C1 is 0,0241666666666....

That's probably where your problem lies. Hopefully it helps. ;)

I knew someone would post this. 

It was an analogy...LOL

• vonryan123vonryan123 Member UncommonPosts: 425

Well you need to ask yourself. What would I like to do in eve?

Once you ask that you have a start point. If its pve or pvp or indy doesnt matter be a pirate be a merc you pick.

So what would you like to do in your would of eve? I can make suggestions once thats defined

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363

Go to youtube or google and look up some guides for mining and mission running.

Join a corporation with actual other people in it. They can help you and answer questions, just expect suspicion, it is a game of politics and intrigue after all.

I would start by finding a couple of agents that you can do missions for, unless you want to be a miner instead. Avoid doing missions in trade hubs like Jita. Find a nice quiet out of the way cluster of systems and go to work.

Keep most of your stuff on the space station. Salvage your wrecks in missions.( You can go back with a diffrent ship if you make a bookmark to the location)

Look online for guides to the starter missions and the story arcs.

You want a couple of agents that you can access close by, in case you have to turn down a mission from one agent you can just go work for the others.Avoid missions that send you into low sec space at first, until you can afford to lose your ship don't go.

Keep skilling up to higher tier ships, once you can fly a bigger ship, and fit it. You can do higher level missions. Again there are guides online.

If none of this is interesting, you can ;

Haul trash or any other trade items for profit (just be aware of contraband laws)

Be a bounty hunter.

Be a pirate.

Be a corporate raider.

Join the faction war.

Take up scanning.

Specialize in electronic warfare.

Set up planetary colonies for profit

Harass miners.

Learn manufaturing.

Learn research.

Explore 0.0 space in a shuttle.

Or just about any thing else you would like to do.

Maybe you just want to learn how to make frigates and then hang out in the newbie zone handing out free ships. If that is what you want to do ... do it.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

I know.  Just need to put some serious time into it.  Maybe it will all come back to me, but when I started playing 9 years ago, it didnt look so complicated as it does now. 

• BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388

It's all about what *you* want to do. Check this out: http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

Also, press F12, and do the following:

1. Click the Tutorials tab and do the tutorials.

2. Click Show Career Agents and do the missions for each one.

3. Go.

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days

• differentdifferent Member Posts: 180
    Do PI for easy and cheap ISK, 10 million a day almost totally hands off
    Originally posted by different
    Do PI for easy and cheap ISK, 10 million a day almost totally hands off

I watched a video on Planet interaction and it looked quite complicated, plus, couldnt you be just ganked while trying to place factories on the planet?

• StonedogStonedog Member UncommonPosts: 32

Once you have placed the command centre, you can edit the rest from station if you have the right skills to do it remotely. You don't even have to be in same system.

You will obviously have to go there when you want to collect or drop off goods

Man, I am really getting overwhelmed with this game.  There is so much to learn and remember.  I can see why this game is lasting so long and keeps the subscription high.

Very well made game.

• BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by outfctrl

Man, I am really getting overwhelmed with this game.  There is so much to learn and remember.  I can see why this game is lasting so long and keeps the subscription high.

Very well made game.

Totally agree. The amount of things you can do, and learn, is what drew me to this game and keeps me engaged even years later. It doesn't hurt that it's also one of the most immersive MMOs out there.

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Ah what to do in Eve.....that brother is what you need to ask yourself...

Do i want to mine ? if yes ? where do i want to mine ? Hisec / Lowsec / Nullsec / Wormhole
    Do i want to be player ? making spreadsheets ? control distance markets with lots of profit?
    Do i want to be a carebear and never leave Hisec and mission untill i quit the game ?
    Do i want to be part of something bigger ? dying for a cause in Faction Warfare ?
    Do i want to be part of a not so distand war between 2 of the strongers powers that Eve has ever seen ? CFC also known as Goonswarm Federation + their brothers in arms or the mighty new kid on the block named HBC also known as Honey Badgers Coalition aka Test alliance please ignore ?
    Do i want to be a pirate and make a name for yourself ?

Ask yourself these questions and find terms with your innerself about what YOU want to be.

I joined Eve in 2011 and quited after 2 months of doing missions untill my eyes bleeded red.
    I came back 5 weeks ago and joined TNT - Tactical Narcotics Team ( member of CFC / Goonswarm Federation) and iam having the time of my life.
    I undock and rat/plex 40/50 million isk in an hour with my low 9 mill skillpoints.
    Home Defence calling me as meatshield and burn ships.
    Ops to cause mayhem in enemy territory
    Ops to defend critical places that need protection

Learning the ropes of Null-Sec with people who i taught to be rude beasts that have no time for low skill point pilots like me...yet they are willing to learn me everything they know.
    Taking the time to show me around and let me taste the blood of enemy's under extreme presure of winning each battle or in some cases making a fleet and fly till you die causing as much damage as we can for the fun of it :)

Eve.....so much to learn but so much fun when flying with the right people ;)

Well, I tried to get back into it.  I just dont seem to have the time.  This game requires hours upon hours to do anything.  Now that I am older, I just cant find the time to put into it.

I really wanted to, but alas, I can't.

Thanks all for the great responses. I really did try, but I couldnt get sucked in.  So I am playing Miner Wars 2081

I can pop in, play awhile and pop out.  Sheesh, I hate getting old.  Time is not on my side anymore.

Later all, and thanks so much for the encouragement.

• EluwienEluwien Member UncommonPosts: 196

Well, I tried to get back into it.  I just dont seem to have the time.  This game requires hours upon hours to do anything.  Now that I am older, I just cant find the time to put into it.

I really wanted to, but alas, I can't.

Thanks all for the great responses. I really did try, but I couldnt get sucked in.  So I am playing Miner Wars 2081

I can pop in, play awhile and pop out.  Sheesh, I hate getting old.  Time is not on my side anymore.

Later all, and thanks so much for the encouragement.

Best thing you could do with limited time and without wasting hours for reading about something complicated is to contact Red VS Blue organization. Its actually 2 corps that are in constant war against each other, for the sake of laughter and murder with no ties attached. Call them up, join either of the teams, join their comm's and set destination to nearest fight. 8 mil gives buys you 8x frigates with shitfits and they dont expect ANY skill or shiptype so its straight into the carnage.

After initial 1-2 hours of getting in, fitting a ship and flying to location, you should be able to go from login to firefight very short time without reading a word of any manual. Just join comms, hit orbit, active guns and get addicted.

Its a game about what YOU want. You want no hazzle straight action without much effort, and yes, EVE delivers that too.

DAoC - 00-06 - And every now and then
    WoW - Online since launch - and now back again.
    EVE - Online since 07 - and still on, and on, and on..
    WHO - Online 08-10
    LOTR-O - Online 06-08
    Also played : Asherons Call, EverQuest, EQ2, Dungeons & Dragons, Cabal, Dark & Light, GW, 
    GW2, LA2, Ryzom, Shaiya, SWG, Allods, Forsaken World, ArcheAge, Secret World, Darkfall, Rift, ESO, Tera.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

After nine years of not playing I  logged into the game started reading.  wtfI have no idea what to do next 

give your isk to me.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

I had to give up recently myself, love the game, but real life just won't let me play the way I want to.

Maybe if I win that darn lottery. image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    the thing about eve is that people all the time, when someone asks wtd, say "what do you want to do?" the problem i think the op is running into, and is one which i ran into and caused me to drop my sub, is that there's no good entry point on the thing you want to do. you literally have to dive into the deep end, headfirst, and hope that you learn things faster than you get fed up. so "just do it"? no. newbie soloers can't "just do it." there's just too many things in the way (losses, steep learning curve forbids learning at a pace that makes every loss enough of a learning experience, difficulty recouping losses, no manageable area to learn in, etc.) even rl isn't this tough.
  • MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by atticusbc
    the thing about eve is that people all the time, when someone asks wtd, say "what do you want to do?" the problem i think the op is running into, and is one which i ran into and caused me to drop my sub, is that there's no good entry point on the thing you want to do. you literally have to dive into the deep end, headfirst, and hope that you learn things faster than you get fed up. so "just do it"? no. newbie soloers can't "just do it." there's just too many things in the way (losses, steep learning curve forbids learning at a pace that makes every loss enough of a learning experience, difficulty recouping losses, no manageable area to learn in, etc.) even rl isn't this tough.

Well not quite; once you've decided what to do, it's much easier to give you advice. If you want to build ships then you need very different advice than if you want to be an explorer.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    The advice is invariably the same, don't fly what you cannot afford lose. Which is fine but ad a new player it is just no fun getting destroyed over and over because someone has 2 accounts or a 10% advantage because buying t2 is trivial. Eve is a brilliant game but the lack of protection or a fair battlefield for new players is a barrier for new players.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by atticusbc

Let me guess, you are one of those people who wants a guide be course you want to "do it right" the first time. The "game" in eve is very much the trail and error part of learning. Once you master something, its gets boring and old pretty fast. The learning on the other hand is where the experience is. So if you cant handle the try-and-fail part, you did a good choice by not playing eve.

Eve is pretty forgiving, actually, (you are wrong saying its not) as long as you follow the first rule of eve: Never undock in something you cannot afford to loose. What I see happen a lot though is people taking advice from people who says "oh, you have to have this fit to do this right" and then peolpe follow that advice and fly in something they really cannot afford to loose. Never forget rule number one, even when listening to "good" advice.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    The advice is invariably the same, don't fly what you cannot afford lose. Which is fine but ad a new player it is just no fun getting destroyed over and over because someone has 2 accounts or a 10% advantage because buying t2 is trivial. Eve is a brilliant game but the lack of protection or a fair battlefield for new players is a barrier for new players.

Yup eve is unfair. Bring friends and that oldtimers two accounts or T2 gear wont save him. Exploit the unfairness, dont let yourself be killed by it...

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    True, there is no fair combat, gank or be ganked, blob or be blobbed etc etc.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

I re-subbed also but I haven't done anything other than walk around in station, set my training and enjoy the ambience.

May get back to working on faction with npc mining corp and setting up another alt with a full set of research agents.