Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Wizard101: A Kid’s Game? Not Quite...

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In our latest Wizard101 column, we take a look at the proclivity of some to label anything by KingsIsle as a kids' game. We wonder why this is so and offer a few thoughts as well as take a look back at the accomplishments of the W101 team over the course of 2012. Read on then leave your thoughts in the comments.

Now, before anyone gets their knickers in a knot wondering if I’m going to harangue on the sore losers (and you must admit there were some) in the announcement thread for whining about Pirate101 winning the Game of the Year, rest easy. I’m not going to do that. There has been plenty said on the subject in that particular thread and in Victor’s excellent take on the reaction. So, realistically and proverbially, “Nuff said.”

Read more of Suzie Ford's Wizard101: A Kid’s Game? Not Quite...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    I used to play this game and actually liked it. It seems with each new expansion, things got worse and worse.  I do like the new game pirate 101.  Hopefully they won't butcher pirate 101 like they did wiz 101. 
  • ScarfeScarfe Member Posts: 281
    Good article.  Both W101 and P101 are great games, glad it has been highlighted. 

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

• ScarfeScarfe Member Posts: 281
    aah the 'you' in the second paragraph was the indefinite article.  My mistake, apologies. 

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

• dtale217dtale217 Member Posts: 2

Alakor, I understand exactly where you are coming from saying the game is simplistic and boring. However you shouldn't judge the game by the trial. I do respect the fact you actually TRIED the game unlike other people, however the farther you get into the game the more of a "higher level MMO" it becomes. From level's to 60-90 the game is so difficult that I honestly don't think any young child could make it without a few mature friends... In my opinion I compare Wizard101/Pirate101 to the Harry Potter series. They are both designed so the fans grow up with the game/series. When you start Wizard101 you are most likely a young child, but as you get older you are able to progress farther and the game gets much more intense. Just like the Harry Potter books get more intense.

Anyway, that'y my two cents. Again, I understand where you coming from, and I'd like to thank you for trying the game anyway!

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    I have no interest in the game, as you and many others. It's presented in a way that just doesn't draw my attention. But if I ever have kids I would LOVE to play a game like this with them when they are old enough. I'm super happy there are games like this that you can share with your family.

• AlakorAlakor Member UncommonPosts: 46

I guess the correlation could be a good one, I also found the first Harry Potter book simplistic and one dimensional, full of simple and boring characters without any writting talent.

As for games I enjoy EvE, Darkfall and the like so I guess this one is total oposite, just giving my own opinion.

• dtale217dtale217 Member Posts: 2

Yes, and I'm not criticizing your opinion at all. I for one have a wide variety of gaming interests, so I understand why you wouldn't enjoy the game.

Maybe I'll see you in EvE one day!

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Originally posted by Alakor

I have played the trial of the game and it is infact simplistic and boring, it lacks any kind of depth or engaging mechanic, it could be played on autopilot and nothing much would happen.

I have played WoW up to level 3 and I can vouch that each class has only one attack in WoW. All you do is repeatedly mash that one button until the enemy dies.

I've also played Wizard 101. By level 35 I and one other wizard had used our training points to buy some spells and customized our decks for maxium synergy. By about 4th turn the storm wizard could launch an AoE spell that usually wiped all enemies out at once, because we had cast 3 different spells on storm wizard making that spell stronger, and spells on individual enemies that made them weaker to that single spell. In each battle, I normally discarded about half of my deck each turn (deck is seven, so 3-4 discarded) looking for the correct buff and debuff spells. If the storm wizard's spell failed I used my pips to heal and had to be careful about discarding to not run out of spells before the end of battle.

• SwordrollSwordroll Member UncommonPosts: 5

What's just too bad is that a variety of people here tried the F2P portions, which, I have to admit, fit the simplistic and even uninteresting at times categories. However, games are designed that way. You take five spell cards, and fight a monster with the same deck, and you get a fairly simple battle. Try the whole game. You get fifty spell cards against a monster or opponent with the same deck, and that's not "child's play" for sure. In fact, if it weren't for community assistance groups, some of the younger players might have trouble with the parts of the game.  

Besides that, older players really do benefit from gardens, PvP matches, pet hatching, and more that isn't as realistic a goal for the younger ones. I personally find the graphics, despite being cartoonish as they are, quite attractive. See, here you have cartoons done perfectly. In other games, you have realistic characters done poorly. The feel of Wizard101 is also much cleaner and everything moves more smoothly than in other games.

Pirate101 already introduces a variety of twists with its advances combat system that allows older players to develop tactics unknown to the younger crowd. Its recent PvP implementation and planned features are going to improve it even more.

For anyone who hasn't played these games in their later stages (I'd say Zafaria and after) are really missing out, and the first bits aren't horrible, either. You just have to realize that you aren't jumping into Wizard or Pirate with your level 100  from the other game you played.

• eveque67eveque67 Member UncommonPosts: 64
    Originally posted by Vrika
    Originally posted by Alakor

I have played the trial of the game and it is infact simplistic and boring, it lacks any kind of depth or engaging mechanic, it could be played on autopilot and nothing much would happen.

I have played WoW up to level 3 and I can vouch that each class has only one attack in WoW. All you do is repeatedly mash that one button until the enemy dies.

I've also played Wizard 101. By level 35 I and one other wizard had used our training points to buy some spells and customized our decks for maxium synergy. By about 4th turn the storm wizard could launch an AoE spell that usually wiped all enemies out at once, because we had cast 3 different spells on storm wizard making that spell stronger, and spells on individual enemies that made them weaker to that single spell. In each battle, I normally discarded about half of my deck each turn (deck is seven, so 3-4 discarded) looking for the correct buff and debuff spells. If the storm wizard's spell failed I used my pips to heal and had to be careful about discarding to not run out of spells before the end of battle.

I too experienced the same simplistic 1-button mashing from WoW.  Because thats all it was, I also stopped playing.  Kudos to you for at least trying several of the classes before quitting though.  I only played one all the way to level 5 and that was enough for me.

:)  Just thought I would pile on.  As snarky, yet funny as the analogy is.. it does bear merit in this instance.  I also played W101 and P101 to max level.  It does ramp up as levels go up.  Even to the point that some on the forums complain its too hard and not really made for kids.  Go figure.. cant please everyone I guess.

• cactusflintheadcactusflinthead Member Posts: 7

This is not a simplistic kid's game. If the only experience with it is what is available to free-to-play players then yes I can understand your opinion. Dealing with the upper levels is quite unlike  what happens in Wizard City. There are facets of the game that are very challenging. Unlike having to maintain complete control of an array of buttons I am responsible for multiple tactical card responses to achieve long- term strategy. 

In the three years or so that I have played after deciding I should check out this online game that my daughter wanted to play I have found it to be very engaging. I have played other online role playing games, LOTR and WoW in particular, but instead of having to depend on my questionable manual dexterity skills I am asked to think fast rather than react physically. Somenoe with limited physical abilities stands a chance of doing well with this game. I am not under that circumstance but I have known players who were. W101 requires me to think quickly sometimes. It has so many layers of activity that you can avoid some entirely and still find plenty of enjoyment. Many of my fellow player buds are not in the least interested in PVP, I however relish a good duel. Instead of having to depend on my blazing fast thumbs I can spend the few seconds trying to out-think the other player. 

I am kinda glad KI got out the vote and posted it on FB. I would have been unlikely to find MMORPG.com otherwise. 

• darthjtdarthjt Member Posts: 4

Talk about simple minded and simplistic, judging a book by its cover or a game by its free trial areas, now that is lazy and down right simplistic.

I have played many MMORPG and online multiplayer games, I have played all the COD, WOW, etc and yet, Wizard101 and Pirate101 are very different and fun.  They offer a great quality of game that anyone and everyone can enjoy and it does in fact, get challenging.  Unfortunately, you have to work for what you get and put time and effort into it, which most people want cheats and quick ways to be all powerful, etc. 

Neither of the KingsIsle games offer cheats or have quick ways of getting to the final destination, you have to work and quest your way through the game and level up, just like everyone else.   You have to farm or craft the best gear in the game, it is not just given to you or not just bought. 

I think some people are just too simplistic in their own mind, that unless they see blood and gore, they dismiss things and dont get to see the true quality of that game.  It's a sad state we live in, but these are the poor individuals that are missing out, tough luck, your loss.

As far as Pirate101 being GOTY, it deserves it!!!  It is the best game going...  Cya in the skyways!

• sumo0sumo0 Member UncommonPosts: 115
    I can't get past the hello kitty feeling i get when watching gameplay of this.

And I have been trying to find a Youtube video i like about this game, but all the Youtubers sound like kids or idiots.
  • winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
     I'd have to play the deviks advocat and say Wizards 101 IS a kids gane. The graphics are cartoony the quests are silly fluff. OMG I must go find the well dressed talking monkeys Funky bananas while flying around on a giant blue parote. Yep real mature and immersive there.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Level of gore and extremely silly, childish GFX. It is the latter one which prevents me from playing the game as I simply cannot get immersed in a game that looks like this.

Also I have no interest in playing with children. Granted that cannot be avoided in most online games but in games like this, it is likely that you have more children playing it.

• ShmackpappyShmackpappy Member Posts: 75
    I started playing this game originally as an family-friendly MMO that I could play with my kids.  I ended up really liking it and it is now the only MMO I play.  I finally even got my wife to join us.  My only complaint is that there are no guilds.
  • RokmierRokmier Member UncommonPosts: 3
    I started playing this game because I use to play at Toon Town with my granddaughter then she told mr about Wizard 101, Well my grnddaughter discovered other things (boys, lol) and has moved on. I a 52 year old grandfather comtinue to play at Wizard 101, make new friends and cherish the friends I have made. Thanks Audrey (granddaughter) and Wizard 101. 
  • ivygps1ivygps1 Member Posts: 5

Very well written ! I am a original gamer playing FF when there were simply small color blocks and they told us they were people ! LOL,and before you could save on Castlevania , many a night where we played in shifts ! God forbid somone kick the machine and it resets !   I think i retired from finay fantasy when it was all girls realease 11 perhaps 10x, not that that was bad just time became more inportant! i just watched FF what is it 14 preview . looks very nice but to many things to watch for now i think ! Being pre mmorpg i could not imagine meeting the good people online i have , and sadly fools are everywhere in the world !  BUT for me to stumble across Wizard101 is great  to play help kids now :)  see their excitement  Is cool in itself  , blood gore and complexity is out there for you who want it !  But my hat is off to KI  for the fun for all ages hilarious at times story for the people a little older who get the ( Jimmy Page- Blue Oyster Cult etc.references)  i also like pirate 101 But the time spent sailing  I can not get past  ( It takes way to long to get places , again the time thing ! ) love the story and combat  is great ! It needs transporters though ! LOL , to finish really to all haters of Noobs( sorry if you were kicked or dropped as kidz BUT)  ( remember you were one at some point )Tools ! 

PS

i never liked grammar in skool

Hmm sounds like government ! rofl
    the only reason i found out about mmorpg was from ravenwood news !
  • adamfireflameadamfireflame Member Posts: 1

does someone knows a good code? Or when the codes are coming?

(comment back please)

• icewizardicewizard Member Posts: 7
    pirate101 is worse than wizard101 but wizard101 has got worse since i started like with the packs every one wastes the crowns on that instead of playing the gameimage
  • PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Its sure looks like your typical kiddy mmo.
  • haughton101haughton101 Member Posts: 2

W101 is the best.

• rammur65rammur65 Member UncommonPosts: 107
    It was never labeled as a kids mmo it was labeled as a family orientated mmo and is kid friendly ald lots of kid orientated stuff.