Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Elder Scrolls Online: Asymmetrical Factions

Comments

• Nobody?

• maybe I'm just impatient...

yeah maybe they're just not looking right now.

• daf7punkdaf7punk Member Posts: 2

this is the most ridiculous article ever.

No, they are going all be equal.

And you cant just grab the racial bonuses from a different game being made by a different company and say "oh this is a good idea of what it will look like"

You are comparing a single player game to an MMO

No. Just. No.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,846

Originally posted by Bouma
    I am also tired of mirror classes, SWTOR is one of them, and the game is dying (to only name one of the reasons).
    Yeah, and Warhammer Online had asymmetrical classes and it is near death(to name only one of the reasons).
  • Classes have never been a desirable trait in a game for me. What if I want to be a Magical Fire ninja with a crossbow that raises dead people to fight for him? Surely no class could describe that.
  • On the theme of balance, if every player was able to craft their character into whatever they freaking wanted, there would be a much more balanced PvP experience and the strength of a character depends more on the player's choice of skills than his class or race.Nobody could say someone is OP; They'd have to say the player made different skill choices that benefitted him in this battle. Of course, a level cap would neecd to be introduced to prevent godlike everymen from demolishing legions of less experienced characters single-handedly...

• julienkagejulienkage Member Posts: 12
    LOL Uh obviously you never played Champs Online then Brian. People could cherry Pick Powers and no, it did NOT make PvP balanced whatsoever. I disagree on the balance thing. I see a lot of kiddies here who just want their class to be OP and everone else's to be weaker. Screw that. Things do need to be balanced out to a degree or most players wlll simply find hte most OP class and race and play that to the exlusion of all else. No thank you. This is Elder Scrolls Online, not Arms Race Online...
  • sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by BrainMongerSyndrome

I can see right now this game is doomed to fail-(in my eyes at least). When I finally got my hands on skyrim I instantly knew that the effort I took to get it was worth it 100 %.

The game you describe is not Elder Scrolls. It's just some other dumb Cookie-cutter MMO.

As for balance, I really don't give a hoot. What bothers me is that they've taken away the ability for me- the consumer - to do whatever the heck I want, and I'm not letting that fly. When I play Elder Scrolls, I want to be able to roam the vast beautiful landscape finding random dragon skeletons and accidentally falling to my death. I want the relative racial freedom that ES has generally provided. Most of all, I WANT TO KILL THE CHILDREN!!! UGH! I could be randomly murdered by some level 300 jerk like in the WoW episode of south park for all I care as long as Tamriel is Tamriel and not Azeroth part two.

Lemme hear those that agree!

Well, I don't want to kill childrens but I agree with everything else.

I know we have to lose some of the freedoms we had because it's an online multiplayer game but they did not have to lock faces to factions or zones.  I'm not even pleased about the class system but I would've given that a chance.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Originally posted by PsiKahn
    Originally posted by Scot

Having racial or faction differences that have real gameplay weight is something MMO designers have learnt to be very careful about.

If you have different bonuses between factions which are not fluff you will get unbalance. If you have meaningful bonuses for races as long as each faction has that race (or an equivalent) there is no problem.

Certain races will dominate certain classes but as long as it is a fair playing field that’s fine.

I've always felt that part of the problem is the insistence on giving players precise data on their damage output, etc.  People are so worried about the numbers that they're not playing the game.  Would they notice slight differences in class balance without that readout?  If they were subtle difference, probably not.  They'd just learn to play their characters to the best of their ability and to maximum effectiveness.  Also I think as long as each class has a role to play within its own faction, it need not be equal to that of another faction in power.  Some factions could just be stronger overall at certain things.

The problem with not giving the numbers is rumours will take over from common sense. I think it would work for many players, who would not be that bothered about it. But many others would be basing their race choice on wild speculation in the forums.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    The only way you can have balanced pvp is if everyone is the same class and has the same gear.

The likes of blizzard and arenanet have been lieing to you for years. It suited their agenda to get fps players into e"sport" in their games, but its all bullshit.
  • zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228
    Nobody can take me away from this game, not million of haters or trolls. I just  continue to play aoc and lotro until this diamond comes out. It looks so good!
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Please stop using that ugly-ass argonian picture for your TESO headlines.. please :)
  • FeverfewFeverfew Member Posts: 120
    Originally posted by health001
    balance is boring,true MMO player can take any  classe and turn them into beasts:P

SO true...

• FeverfewFeverfew Member Posts: 120
    This better not be an Elder-Scrolls-themed-WoW game...
  • sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by Feverfew
    This better not be an Elder-Scrolls-themed-WoW game...

Have no fear, I think it's gonna be more of an Elder-Scrolls-themed-DAoC game.  It will probably still have some similarities to WoW but they are boosting their relation to DAoC (*cough* haven't heard that one before).

• LuckcrazyLuckcrazy Member Posts: 6
    I don't know if this has been said already but, how about with these bonuses for different races the devs aim to make the classes play differently based on which race? I saw a guy write about that one day, and I think it can be applied nicely here. Like the highborn be able to be a warrior class with magical utilities, this can kinda work well. I just don't know how they will be able to make the khajit unarmed claw attacks useful, if you have a weapon why not use it? In oblivion and skyrim I didn't know how to make it useful image. What you guys think?
  • nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

This may be a MMO with the TES spirit, but it isn't The Elder Scrolls.

1. There shouldn't be any race locked factions.

2. Where are the Imperials? No excuse!

3. There shouldn't be any classes.

4. Any word on joining The Fighters Guild, Mages Guild, Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood and etc? Those factions are really integral to TES.

5. Hotbars to replace the equivalent to what they were in the TES, I can agree with, but Hotbars to hold abilities that never existed in any TES game just because it's an MMO and they think every MMO should have abilities to put on a hotbar, unacceptable, as is their copying of GW2 from what I'm hearing with having Elite abilities and etc.

6. Any word on if there'll be a big "!" or something similar above NPC's heads to signify they have a quest? Anyone every remember having any of that in TES games? If it does, it's not a true TES game.

7. No housing at launch, unacceptable.

Basically, it should be what every TES game has been in the past with the addition of multiplayer. Nothing should be taken out to accomodate the genre, or else that's admitting the game doesn't belong in this genre. It's time to break out of the pre-established moulde, and create a pure game. TES purists will surely be pissed at everything these developers are doing to this great IP.

• Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267
    While I'm hoping its good its also hard to not read all the signs that say "TESO=30days&fail"

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Nate
    4 yes the guilds are in, as is becoming a vampire / werewolf
    6 no its not ! Questing and quest hubs.
    7 I don't get why they can't do housing. It's not really a daoc clone if there's no housing.
  • nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Nate
    4 yes the guilds are in, as is becoming a vampire / werewolf
    6 no its not ! Questing and quest hubs.
    7 I don't get why they can't do housing. It's not really a daoc clone if there's no housing.

Well that's partly some good news. There is a lot of questing, especially guild and side quests in TES games, so I won't complain if it's the same in TESO, however, it should be of the same quality without any more quest help than a normal TES game provides. I'm also relieved to hear that the guilds will be in and we can become a vampire/werewolve.

As for housing, if this wasn't a TES game, I wouldn't even think about it, but since it is, it's important to have it in there, since buying a home, and exploring the world at your own pace is a large part of the game. Most of what makes TES series so much fun is the freedom to do what you want when you want, build your character any way you want, and tackle the available quests whenever you see fit. I just have my doubts that TESO will have that same kind of freedom, and we already know they won't as far as classes, races, and being forced to join a faction is concerned.

• jacktorsjacktors Member UncommonPosts: 180

Those of you complaining about DAOC imbalance just dont get it.  Do you really think that the powers that be over at Mythic could have balanced over 30 classes against each other? There were just way too many different classes with unique skills to be able to balance each and every one against each other. That is an impossible task.  But i have to say that Mythic did a great job trying to make each class not only unique, but fun to play.  

I truly wish ESO would create a 2012-13 version of Dark Age of Camelot.  I can't tell you how many times i read in a MMORPG post that  DAOC was their favorite MMORPG of all time.  I think that what made so many people leave the game was just bad timing.  World of Warcraft came out and the game just dazzled so many people, which depleted the population of DAOC very quickly. And because the game was so RVR oriented, gamers really felt the loss  immediately.  The borderlands became a ghost town. Player guilds were stagnant.   From there, i just think that people stopped playing out of boredom. Everything they loved about the game was reliant on a huge population of RVR.  By the time many of us got our fill of WOW and came back to DAOC, by then the game was never the same. 

But the fact remains, Dark Age of Camelot was definitely a winning recipe.  The game was truly open world. Mythic certainly succeeded in creating a true PVP (RVR) rivalry with strong realm pride. The game provided strong pvp rewards for fighting and defending realms. Not to mention, the land was huge. Why is it that a game world like DAOC was so open back from 2004, but MMORPG makers today feel the need to instance every part of their game. Its like the technology is going backward.  Even player housing in DAOC was done very well. Yes, you had to instance into the area, but once inside the housing area, the layouts were very cool. Plus, players were able to have their own personal vendors. That was a very cool aspect of the game. 

I truly hope that Matt Firor and some of the ESO devs read this post. They need to understand that gamers today want those winning combinations back into our future MMORPG. We want a sense of pride in our world. We want our own housing. We want unique classes and realms. We dont want generics like every other game out there. We also want a hand in our economy. The best gear should come from players, not dungeons and vendors.  (Legendary Greatsword of Fire created by Fywiel) . It was a great feeling to be able to outfit myself and other guildmates with great gear, with my signature attached. 

And most importantly, we want our stealth wars back. The best part of playing DAOC was lurking around our enemies lands looking for just the right victim, ostensibly avoiding roaming enemy groups and other stealthers. fun fun fun.  

• Originally posted by julienkage
    LOL Uh obviously you never played Champs Online then Brian. People could cherry Pick Powers and no, it did NOT make PvP balanced whatsoever. I disagree on the balance thing. I see a lot of kiddies here who just want their class to be OP and everone else's to be weaker. Screw that. Things do need to be balanced out to a degree or most players wlll simply find hte most OP class and race and play that to the exlusion of all else. No thank you. This is Elder Scrolls Online, not Arms Race Online...

dude, it's not brian. It's Brain.

• i thought it was a good idea, but balance isn't really what i care about.

They can take away my absolute power, but they'll never take my FREEDOM!!!!!

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489
    Originally posted by sapphen
    Originally posted by 3-4thElf

I'd rather they make an Elder Scrolls game instead of a carbon copy wash.

These factions are at the very root of what makes this game unappealing. DAoC similarities aside, design aspects of 2001 aren't exciting any longer.

I'm looking for the love button but I can't find it!

I can't believe another great IP is going to be trashed because of this nonsense.

EDIT IN:  Don't get me wrong, I don't mind that they have 3 factions.  I just think races shouldn't be locked to a faction.  They should've been 3 groups of people (mainly comprised of said races) that are fighting over the crown.  You would have to join one of these factions to PvP but you can choose not to join and just PvE.  There should be quests all over the place for everyone (like in other ES games).  The game should have never been focused around this racial war, it doesn't even makes sense lorewise.

Agreed. There's enough story there to have factions, but free roaming adventuers should be a more expanded upon option rather than race war warriors.

a yo ho ho

• Originally posted by nate1980

This may be a MMO with the TES spirit, but it isn't The Elder Scrolls.

1. There shouldn't be any race locked factions.

2. Where are the Imperials? No excuse!

3. There shouldn't be any classes.

4. Any word on joining The Fighters Guild, Mages Guild, Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood and etc? Those factions are really integral to TES.

5. Hotbars to replace the equivalent to what they were in the TES, I can agree with, but Hotbars to hold abilities that never existed in any TES game just because it's an MMO and they think every MMO should have abilities to put on a hotbar, unacceptable, as is their copying of GW2 from what I'm hearing with having Elite abilities and etc.

6. Any word on if there'll be a big "!" or something similar above NPC's heads to signify they have a quest? Anyone every remember having any of that in TES games? If it does, it's not a true TES game.

7. No housing at launch, unacceptable.

Basically, it should be what every TES game has been in the past with the addition of multiplayer. Nothing should be taken out to accomodate the genre, or else that's admitting the game doesn't belong in this genre. It's time to break out of the pre-established moulde, and create a pure game. TES purists will surely be pissed at everything these developers are doing to this great IP.

W00T!!! Forum High-5 for breaking the mold!

This discussion has been closed.