Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

3 million copies sold since august general consensus so far

Comments

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by Warband

This is fairly pathetic you can preorder some games YEARS in advance in fact Duke nukem's preorders lasted well over 5. This happens with all games and people don't give a shit as the majority don't bother preordering. Your going to moan about this shit moan about EVERY OTHER GAME IN EXISTENCE. Launch day numbers aren't really the amount of people that buy it at that day the majority are perorders.

Do people not know this? When some news occurs that someone doesn't like they start nitpickin pointlessg unless of course it's they're favourite game then that shit is fine I'm sure.

Who said anything about per-ordering? Pre-orders only cost five bucks and can be done through any mom and pop store. PRE-PURCHASES could only be done through the official website and they count as a sale, period. You can't for example go to GameStop and pay in full. They will not let you because they are not authorized to do so. ArenaNET on the other hand can sell as many copies as they like unless retailers start turning up the pressure.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by jblah
    Originally posted by Volkon
    Still playing it, still loving it. Still hit queues in WvW, still overflows in L.A. Still find that events draw a crowd in PvE pretty much anywhere. Still a great game.

This post was unexpected...

Seriously though selling 3 million copies is great for investors but retention is the stat that matters most to the players. Would be  nice to see the numbers for how many people log in daily now and compare that to 3-4 months ago.

SWtoR sold plenty of copies as did AOC and Warhammer Online.  Since I am not an investor selling 3 million copies means little to me but logging in and seeing mostly empty zones does matter to me. 

If even 1 of those players out of 100 spend more then $15 a month in the cash shop then your looking at a mega hit.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by paulytheb

They sell a lot of Big Mac's too. That fact doesn't make it a great sandwich. It is just familiar and easily digestable. Kinda like GW2.

Not only did GW2 sell a lot, they also got critical acclaim. Doesn't that count? Ah, wait, those critics were bought.

No win for ANet here.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

guild wars 2 should of sold a ton of box copies and digital downloads because it has no sub fee from the get go and anyone wanting to play a new RPG of course is going to buy it . Not everyone comes to read reviews on websites before making blind purchases , hell i dont even have friends that comes to these sites to read about games at all.

Guild Wars 2 isnt a bad game , its just not a great game either but nothing wrong with that. I feel like some of the other comments here that its just plain shallow and boring after awhile playing it . People here hate critism and have to defend this title so vigorously for whatever reason . Face it guild wars 2 doesnt have no where near 3 million players still playing it either. Also here is something to think about i had two friends get refunds on it the first two weeks after release and both of those accounts are still open to this day . So obviously they are counting refunded accounts also. But they are very few in the grand scheme of things im sure as well.  I would expect this game a flop with no sub fee if it didnt sell 3 million copies as much hype as it got honestly.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    The game could sell a billion copies and some people would still find a way to say it failed. It's just the way this website works.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Kinda feels like they got over, considering I paid 10$ for Wushu and so far put 3 times the hours and played twice as long. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    The PC gaming industry is filled with games that only have a box price and sell 3 millions or more...

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• darkrain21darkrain21 Member UncommonPosts: 383
    Good for it. Still will never break any records but good for it.
  • WarbandWarband Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by Ramonski7

This is fairly pathetic you can preorder some games YEARS in advance in fact Duke nukem's preorders lasted well over 5. This happens with all games and people don't give a shit as the majority don't bother preordering. Your going to moan about this shit moan about EVERY OTHER GAME IN EXISTENCE. Launch day numbers aren't really the amount of people that buy it at that day the majority are perorders.

Do people not know this? When some news occurs that someone doesn't like they start nitpickin pointlessg unless of course it's they're favourite game then that shit is fine I'm sure.

Who said anything about per-ordering? Pre-orders only cost five bucks and can be done through any mom and pop store. PRE-PURCHASES could only be done through the official website and they count as a sale, period. You can't for example go to GameStop and pay in full. They will not let you because they are not authorized to do so. ArenaNET on the other hand can sell as many copies as they like unless retailers start turning up the pressure.

Who said I was even talking about that. It doesn't matter about whether it's pre orders or prepurchases the majority of first day sales come from people who have bought the game beforehand. Noone cares about preorders someone renaged on I'm talking about pre orders people went through on. So saying something isn't impressive because it was sold beforehand is worthless as you can buy any game before hand. You should compare all games to that stndard.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Chronology of "moving the goal posts":

1 million beta sign ups reported.

- "1 million beta signups in 48 hours mean nothing since it is free. They will be lucky to sell half of that".

1 millioin pre-purchases announced

-"everyone that wants to play the game already bought it because of betas. They will be lucky to sell much more."

Digital sales halted. 2 million sales announced.

-"SWTOR sold 2 million as well. MoP will sell double that in the first day".

Some months without information.

-"If they had sold more than 2 millions they would have announced it. They failed the 3 million prediction" (note the 3 million prediction was from an analyst firm)

3 million sales in 2012 announced.

"3 millions is weak sales. It is only the box price."

Next chapters incoming.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

I am still playing

My problem is that the game is literarly going nowhere.

There is no progression for a player in any way. And leveling new toon is a pain since areas are empty.

Yesterday i followed another character that i met on empty map by chance. Doing stuff together made me literally level up 3-4 times faster.

Game was made for groups in mind, yet its completely empty

Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

1 million beta sign ups reported.

- "1 million beta signups in 48 hours mean nothing since it is free. They will be lucky to sell half of that".

1 millioin pre-purchases announced

-"everyone that wants to play the game already bought it because of betas. They will be lucky to sell much more."

Digital sales halted. 2 million sales announced.

-"SWTOR sold 2 million as well. MoP will sell double that in the first day".

Some months without information.

-"If they had sold more than 2 millions they would have announced it. They failed the 3 million prediction" (note the 3 million prediction was from an analyst firm)

Next chapters incoming.

Seems to be some decent franchise growth, they approach half of gw1's total franchise sales (7 million), in the first game and around 4 months. Game hasn't even had an asian release which will likely drive up some more momentum.

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

Next chapters incoming.

They sold 3 million, but nobody is actually playing anymore. And when you look at Xfire, you see that MoP is way ahead.

On a serious note, the game is a financial success and is still going strong, while retention is way better then most expected. Still, I hope they don't rest on their laurels and keep pumping features, and not only content.

• darkrain21darkrain21 Member UncommonPosts: 383
    to be honest 3 million in 5 months is actually kinda bad. For an mmo at least.And it being a B2P kinda means that its not making any more money
    Originally posted by darkrain21
    to be honest 3 million in 5 months is actually kinda bad. For an mmo at least.And it being a B2P kinda means that its not making any more money

Sure it is... most mmo's don't reach 2 million boxes sold and subs spiral down from there. Multiplatform games often sell worse than 2 million unless they're a megafranchise. What is your logic for 3 million on for a pc game full stop let alone an mmo is kinda bad. And what would be good?

This game has already made most probably around a 100 million in proft. Not making money my ass. You just don't want to admit the game was a success for what it was.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

1. How did you figure out its bad eh? Every sign shows they overachieved their expectations, yet you proclaim its bad. Just because.

And theres STILL Asian release.

Also...name 1 more MMO that sold more in first 4 months, since its so bad result.

2. There is a cash shop. GW2 IS making extra profit on that. They made me happy for now so i popped 20 bucks in it. So thats 20 extra bucks so youre completely wrong.

Originally posted by DeniZg

They sold 3 million, but nobody is actually playing anymore. And when you look at Xfire, you see that MoP is way ahead.

On a serious note, the game is a financial success and is still going strong, while retention is way better then most expected. Still, I hope they don't rest on their laurels and keep pumping features, and not only content.

Yah, all the queues for WvWvW and constant LA overflow are signs of dying game :)

They do hire more people so their plans are true, hopefully they come through with them.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Guild Wars 2 has sold over 3 million copies since its August, according to an update on the MMO’s website from director Colin Johanson, who also outlined the team’s 2013 plans for the title starting with expanding and leveraging the achievement system.

So now that the game has sold 3 million, what are peoples opinions on it's relative success or dissapointments in comparison to recent themepark mmo's and people, still playing there views on the state of the game.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Wait what? Having the third highest box sales in MMO history is bad?

The only games that sold more than 3 million boxes are Everquest and WoW, which faced a far less bloated market.

The latest WoW expansion has only sold 2.7 million. And most other AAA MMOs barely sold over 2 million.

So yeah, terrible job Guild Wars 2, terrible job.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Let's be honest, you have no idea what you're talking about.  Are you serious?  I've seen some far out posts but 3 million copies of a game sold is "kinda bad" now?

You people will say anything. 

No, if we're HONEST, this is great for ANet and great for people who enjoy GW2, as it means there will be plenty of money to spend on content, not statues for their lobby like some other MMO giants... and also, being B2P with an easy, convenient and 100% not necessary cash shop means it will be making money for a long time to come.  League of Legends is the same way, so tell every person in my guild who's spent money in the CS that it's "not making anymore money".

Anyway, as for me, I'm still enjoying the game.. it met and exceeded the hype for me and all that matters is that it's fun.  I don't care what forum goers say as they shoot down pretty much everything that releases, and I don't care about features they left out or changed.  It's a great game with plenty to do and plenty of people to play with and I stand by all of my posts that said the game would be a success.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by cronius77

I would expect this game a flop with no sub fee if it didnt sell 3 million copies as much hype as it got honestly.

hype primarily works pre-release

hype alone doesnt explain why GW2 sold 1 million more copies between Oct-Dec

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    The PC gaming industry is filled with games that only have a box price and sell 3 millions or more...

No it isn't. There are only 29 games in the history of PC gaming that have sold more than GW2, 4 of them were WoW and its expansions and one was Everquest, the rest were subscription free.  One of them is the original Guild Wars.

So only 24 non-subscription games have sold more than GW2. Soooooo full of games that sell more than 3 million. *rolls eyes*

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by tyfon

I played for two weeks trying to have fun, but the lack of tactic, little char progression/diversification and most of all the lack of fun stopped me.

It's just not for someone who likes deep systems, challenging gameplay and ingame rewards.

I like all of those things, and I feel that GW2 provides them just fine.  Your opinion is noted, but I heartily disagree.

Originally posted by evilastro

No it isn't. There are only 29 games in the history of PC gaming that have sold more than GW2, 4 of them were WoW and its expansions and one was Everquest, the rest were subscription free.  One of them is the original Guild Wars.

So only 24 non-subscription games have sold more than GW2. Soooooo full of games that sell more than 3 million. *rolls eyes*

Whats more impressive is that most pc games only reach there after long periods of time due to price drastically decresing in comparison to console games and they normally do it over a period of years. gw2 managed that in 5 months, while still keeping a reasonabl decent retail price.

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by evilastro

I think your sarcasm detector was offline when writing this post. image

Anyway, can someone provide comparison of GW2 and Skyrim PC sales? It would be interesting bit of info and would keep the trolls away.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

It really all depends on how much money was invested for development and what the projected box sales were.  Personally, I think 3 million is a pretty good number, for any game.  Now, if Anet needed 4 million box sales sold by this time, then obviously you could say that the game is struggling.  However, only Anet and their management would know that.

Getting back on topic: I've taken a small break - just kind of burnt out from my team falling apart in SPvP.  I got what I wanted - Rangers are now in-line with other professions - but I still find myself nitpicky on a lot of things I wish were fixed (ex: pet cannot attack gates).

I still keep myself updated with GW2 news and I hope the game continues to grow.