Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TV for monitor.

LexiteLexite Member UncommonPosts: 165

Hey guys ive just bough a 50'' LCD TV for gaming. (with the steam big picture and everything).

When im playing skyrim, for some reasons the texture darken when im moving in the night. The taxture does not become darker on my pc monitor (samsung 22'') but on the TV it does. is it supposed to be normal?

My TV is plugged in my computert with a 8 meters HDMI cable since its on the other side of my room.

I7 920 @ 2.7ghz (8 cpu total)
12 gig DDR3 ram
Nvidia Geforce 560 GTX TI
window 7 64bit

Comments

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    Check the settings for things like "Dynamic Contrast" which are common on TVs. It changes the color/contrast depending on what is on the screen. That may be what's causing it.
  • LexiteLexite Member UncommonPosts: 165
    Unfortunately there is no such option

12 gig DDR3 ram
    window 7 64bit

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Could also be an Energy Savings option. I know my TV has some such option, so that when it detects that the screen has more dark colors, it reduces the backlighting as well to try to save on energy.

It drove me crazy so I turned it off. Carbon footprint be damned.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Lexite

Hey guys ive just bough a 50'' LCD TV for gaming. (with the steam big picture and everything).

When im playing skyrim, for some reasons the texture darken when im moving in the night. The taxture does not become darker on my pc monitor (samsung 22'') but on the TV it does. is it supposed to be normal?

My TV is plugged in my computert with a 8 meters HDMI cable since its on the other side of my room.

What is the Brand and model number of TV

Some things to try in the mean time since this has been a popular topic lately...

Disabling or taking the slider to 0% for overscan/scaling

Using the dedicated PC HDMI slot (It's usually HDMI 1 but can vary from TV to TV) 

Renaming the HDMI slot to PC or DVI PC

Use the displays Native resolution regardless of what it is

Now depending on the GPU you have, in the display settings for your GPU even if you have no scaling selected it lets you choose which  you would prefer to  do the scaling, the Display or the GPU. You want to select Display and not the GPU. 

Doing these things will ensure that all you have left are minor tweaks and such to get it to fit your taste. Most won't have to ever touch font size if they do the above. 

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Have you tried game mode in the display options?  Usually there is a game setting under brightness / contrast etc.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Some things to try in the mean time since this has been a popular topic lately...

Using the dedicated PC HDMI slot (It's usually HDMI 1 but can vary from TV to TV) 

Now depending on the GPU you have, in the display settings for your GPU even if you have no scaling selected it lets you choose which  you would prefer to  do the scaling, the Display or the GPU. You want to select Display and not the GPU. 

Doing these things will ensure that all you have left are minor tweaks and such to get it to fit your taste. Most won't have to ever touch font size if they do the above. 

its a westinghouse 50''. i bough it for like 300buck new during the black friday. i know it aint top of the line brand but the picture is crystal clear while playing blueray or simply browsing on my computer.

it aint doing that with all the game. borderland 2 has no problem for example.. this is why im wondering if skyrim is the problem.

ive tried every slider and mode and only the colors are changing.. the problem persist.

12 gig DDR3 ram
    window 7 64bit

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    I think the two biggest reasons to avoid TVs as your monitor, is the generally lower contrast ratio, and the slow response time. Especially if it's a cheap $300 TV.

its a westinghouse 50''. i bough it for like 300buck new during the black friday. i know it aint top of the line brand but the picture is crystal clear while playing blueray or simply browsing on my computer.

it aint doing that with all the game. borderland 2 has no problem for example.. this is why im wondering if skyrim is the problem.

ive tried every slider and mode and only the colors are changing.. the problem persist.

Hmm, if I'm not mistaken that would be the CW50T9XW 

How are you connecting it... VGA or HDMI

If its with HDMI try using a VGA cable real fast and see if that fixes it. 

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Being a cheap TV its probally not up to the job of playing games very well.

What is the refresh rate on the screen?

What is the response rate?

What is the contrast ratio ?

Originally posted by Caldrin

If its the model I think it is 

Refresh rate is 120Hz

Response is 8ms (about 24 in reality)

Contrast Ratio is 100,000:1

Actually not bad for $300 but Westinghouse doesn't use great parts so... 

Originally posted by Caldrin

If its the model I think it is 

Refresh rate is 120Hz

Response is 8ms (about 24 in reality)

Contrast Ratio is 100,000:1

Actually not bad for $300 but Westinghouse doesn't use great parts so... 

thats the good model. it wasnt a 300$ TV.. it was like 60% off during the holiday sale.. was like the #1 doorbuster.

like ive said.. the colours and the picture itself is perfect.. the game is not lagging everything is fine...The only problem is the ground texture while playing.. only the ground texture (and trees) darken while im moving. Its almost like if all of this was made on purpose because the faster i move in the game the darker the textures get. The character.. sky, houses and everything else stay the same tho.

Its not a big problem and ive been playing many hours on the Tv, but i was just wondering if this was fixable. 

12 gig DDR3 ram
    window 7 64bit