Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LCD monitor vs LCD TV

Comments

• ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665
    Originally posted by treysmooth
    Originally posted by cichy1012

I have a 23 inch HP2310m monitor that runs a native resolution 1920x1080

I also have mounted on the wal 3 feet from me 32 inch panasonic LCD 720p tv.

I cant figure out what is better.

Whats wierd is the tv can be set to all the HD resolution 1080p or 720 etc... or just basic 1366x768 even though specs on tv say 1366x768 max....

Do i set it to basic or HD resolution. And if I use the tv will i see a major difference in gaming from the monitor?

720p is in fact 1080i so that is 1920x1080

I use a 32 inch tv as my monitorand have it sitting around 3 feet from me looks great in games.

errr not quite, the p and the i stand for progressive scan and interlaced which are two VERY different image rendering methods, progressive being the clear winner over interlaced, its often better to display in 720p rather than 1080i as the interlacing creates digital artifacts on LCD displays.

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

Originally posted by ianicus
    There is alot of bad information in here, lets set the record straight. Only major difference between an LCD tv and an LCD computer monitor is response times, TV's generaly have poor response times when compared to decent PC monitors, for instance a good lcd monitor will have a 2ms or less response time (mine is 1ms but an LED) while a TV would have a much higher response time, some older LCD tv's can even get into the double digits for response times (not good). 

Not every game is going to be impacted by this, mostly FPS or anything with fast action, you will notice a "ghosting" effect on the screen, or a blur, this is because the TV response time is too slow to keep the image clear.

That is the only differenc between them, period, lock thread,

Most people don't get "decent PC monitors". They get cheaper re-branded TV panels sold as PC monitors.

Also, "response time" is a made up sales and marketing number. I wouldn't base anything from that number as reported by the manufacturer, particularly LCD monitor quality.

These days your comments about response time can be true, but usualy only on lower quality mass produced panels. if you spend the money you get what you pay for, period.

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by cichy1012 I have a 23 inch HP2310m monitor that runs a native resolution 1920x1080 I also have mounted on the wal 3 feet from me 32 inch panasonic LCD 720p tv. I cant figure out what is better.   Whats wierd is the tv can be set to all the HD resolution 1080p or 720 etc... or just basic 1366x768 even though specs on tv say 1366x768 max.... Do i set it to basic or HD resolution. And if I use the tv will i see a major difference in gaming from the monitor?

I use a 32 inch tv as my monitorand have it sitting around 3 feet from me looks great in games.

No, 720p is not 1080i.

720p is a resolution of 1280x720, with a refresh scan pattern that is progressive/non-interlaced (the entire screen is refreshed each refresh cycle).

1080i is a resolution of 1920x1080, with a refresh scan pattern that is interlaced (only every other line gets refreshed each refresh cycle, so the entire picture is actually only updated every two refresh periods).

PCs almost never output interlaced, and usually will have a refresh rate of 60 or 75Hz (depending on the monitor). TV signals are often interlaced, and usually refresh at a rate of 29.97Hz (for North America TV broadcasts)

Originally posted by Aori
    Originally posted by AvsRock21

There is alot of bad information in here, lets set the record straight. Only major difference between an LCD tv and an LCD computer monitor is response times, TV's generaly have poor response times when compared to decent PC monitors, for instance a good lcd monitor will have a 2ms or less response time while a TV would have a much higher response time, some older LCD tv's can even get into the double digits for response times. 

Not every game is going to be impacted by this, mostly FPS or anything with fast action, you will notice a "ghosting" effect on the screen, or a blur, this is because the TV response time is too slow to keep the image clear.

Are you comparing his TV and his monitor? Because the response time is not the only difference between those two specific models. One is 720p and the other 1080p, that's a huge difference. One has a total of 1280x720 physical pixels on screen, and the other 1920x1080 pixels. The technology that is LCD is the same, but the two models he has are very different. Not only do they have different resolutions, but the smaller screen has the higher resolution, meaning it will be much sharper.

I was speaking generaly, a 1080p native monitor versus a 1080p lcd TV, the monitor is probably still going to win out on response time unless you bought a high end tv, I wasnt refering to his EXACT tv.

Well generally speaking response time shouldnt be in the top reasons you buy a display.  And most TV's these days run under 10ms which for most gamers is perfectly fine.

You can't run into a thread say people are spreading misinformation when you don't even touch on the OPs personal topic. Each persons circumstance is different when it comes to displays and you have to take it case by case. Response time is almost never an issue unless you're one of the anal people who are trying to hard to prove you can see the difference in 2ms and 5ms.

Speaking on specifications, im correct, if you wanna take the opinion that a 35 mpg car is only slightly better than a 37 mpg car and is negligent, fine, but its still better, as is a 2ms monitor when compared to a tv which is probably in the double digit ms response rate bracket (which being 720p max res, his tv probably is).

Also if you want me to get on HIS situation, his tv is shit, he should go with the monitor, case closed...

There is alot of bad information in here, lets set the record straight. Only major difference between an LCD tv and an LCD computer monitor is response times, TV's generaly have poor response times when compared to decent PC monitors, for instance a good lcd monitor will have a 2ms or less response time while a TV would have a much higher response time, some older LCD tv's can even get into the double digits for response times. 

Are you comparing his TV and his monitor? Because the response time is not the only difference between those two specific models. One is 720p and the other 1080p, that's a huge difference. One has a total of 1280x720 physical pixels on screen, and the other 1920x1080 pixels. The technology that is LCD is the same, but the two models he has are very different. Not only do they have different resolutions, but the smaller screen has the higher resolution, meaning it will be much sharper.

I was speaking generaly, a 1080p native monitor versus a 1080p lcd TV, the monitor is probably still going to win out on response time unless you bought a high end tv, I wasnt refering to his EXACT tv.

Well generally speaking response time shouldnt be in the top reasons you buy a display.  And most TV's these days run under 10ms which for most gamers is perfectly fine.

You can't run into a thread say people are spreading misinformation when you don't even touch on the OPs personal topic. Each persons circumstance is different when it comes to displays and you have to take it case by case. Response time is almost never an issue unless you're one of the anal people who are trying to hard to prove you can see the difference in 2ms and 5ms.

Speaking on specifications, im correct, if you wanna take the opinion that a 35 mpg car is only slightly better than a 37 mpg car and is negligent, fine, but its still better, as is a 2ms monitor when compared to a tv which is probably in the double digit ms response rate bracket (which being 720p max res, his tv probably is).

Why do people want to compare everything to cars? It doesn't make sense. You can actually break down the benefit of 35mpg and 37mpg to the dollar over x amount of years.

Trying to see the difference of a few ms is not so much cut and dry and it varies from person to person.

Really? ok mister forum police, whatever I answered the OP's question, his cheap old 720p limited TV is a far worse option when compared to a 23 inch 1080p capable monitor......

Originally posted by ianicus There is alot of bad information in here, lets set the record straight. Only major difference between an LCD tv and an LCD computer monitor is response times, TV's generaly have poor response times when compared to decent PC monitors, for instance a good lcd monitor will have a 2ms or less response time while a TV would have a much higher response time, some older LCD tv's can even get into the double digits for response times.  Not every game is going to be impacted by this, mostly FPS or anything with fast action, you will notice a "ghosting" effect on the screen, or a blur, this is because the TV response time is too slow to keep the image clear. That is the only differenc between them, period, lock thread,
    Well generally speaking response time shouldnt be in the top reasons you buy a display.  And most TV's these days run under 10ms which for most gamers is perfectly fine. You can't run into a thread say people are spreading misinformation when you don't even touch on the OPs personal topic. Each persons circumstance is different when it comes to displays and you have to take it case by case. Response time is almost never an issue unless you're one of the anal people who are trying to hard to prove you can see the difference in 2ms and 5ms.
    Why do people want to compare everything to cars? It doesn't make sense. You can actually break down the benefit of 35mpg and 37mpg to the dollar over x amount of years.

Trying to see the difference of a few ms is not so much cut and dry and it varies from person to person.

Not to mention that if you look at the manufacturer's own specifications, they probably have 2 or 3 different numbers for that listed in various places, and none of them match with any consistency, and all of them would be different from the ISO standard for measuring pixel refresh times.

The correct answer to the OP is:
    Whichever looks better to him.

If he likes the additional size of the TV, even though it's a lower resolution screen - who's to say he's wrong. Every eye is different, and everyone has different tastes.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Whoa this got crazy fast... 

as others have pointed out 720p and 1080i are not in any way shape or form the same thing lol... 

Response time variances between TV's and Monitors have become negligible. There once was a noticable difference, but with any TV's in the past few years with the exception of some really cheap odd off brand models this is no longer the case. 

TV's can be just as sharp and crisp as a monitor if tweaked correctly. 

If your TV's native resolution is 720p then you want to set it to that, if you don't believe me then set it to 1366x768 and launch steam. 

If the icons are to big at 720p go to control panel, display settings, and then go to "Make text and items larger or smaller" and simply select smaller. If the issue is in game then reduce UI size, pretty much every game has the option. 

The main issue with using non native resolutions is that text is promblematic on TV screens. This is a general rule but it doesn't always hold true though, if text and everything is fine inside and out side of games with 1366x768 then by all means use it because there are exceptions to every rule. Every TV is different, it really depends on the brand and the specific model. If your TV lets you get away with 1080p then again use it because again not all TV's are created equal. 

I have a 55inch TV I use when I feel like kicking back and using my Razer Onza and its got a much better picture than my monitor and no I'm not using a cheap generic monitor lol. I simply have a very nice TV and know what I'm doing when setting these things up :) 

And again... response time differences now days are negligible. 

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Originally posted by Quizzical

Maybe it can take a 1080p input and downscale it to 720p?  Take any 1080p image, break it into a bunch of 3x3 blocks of pixels, convert each to a 2x2 block by averaging, interpolating, and what not, and you have a somewhat fuzzier 720p image that looks about the same.  And then the TV can show the 720p image.

I don't know if that's what it's doing.  It's surely possible for a video card to make that adjustment and then transmit the 720p image; I don't know if TVs would have that capability, but they could build TVs to do that if they wanted to.

Yeah my old TV was 720p but 1080i.  

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

as others have pointed out 720p and 1080i are not in any way shape or form the same thing lol... 

Response time variances between TV's and Monitors have become negligible. There once was a noticable difference, but with any TV's in the past few years with the exception of some really cheap odd off brand models this is no longer the case. 

If your TV's native resolution is 720p then you want to set it to that, if you don't believe me then set it to 1366x768 and launch steam. 

If the icons are to big at 720p go to control panel, display settings, and then go to "Make text and items larger or smaller" and simply select smaller. If the issue is in game then reduce UI size, pretty much every game has the option. 

The main issue with using non native resolutions is that text is promblematic on TV screens. This is a general rule but it doesn't always hold true though, if text and everything is fine inside and out side of games with 1366x768 then by all means use it because there are exceptions to every rule. Every TV is different, it really depends on the brand and the specific model. If your TV lets you get away with 1080p then again use it because again not all TV's are created equal. 

I have a 55inch TV I use when I feel like kicking back and using my Razer Onza and its got a much better picture than my monitor and no I'm not using a cheap generic monitor lol. I simply have a very nice TV and know what I'm doing when setting these things up :) 

the point HERE is his tv....sounds like a peice of shit.....so yeah monitor is probably his best bet...

UPDATE - I relent, do whatever you think is best OP because this forum has turned into a big opinion peice with no acctual factual relevence LOL do what feels RIGHT mate! :)

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

the point HERE is his tv....sounds like a peice of shit.....so yeah monitor is probably his best bet...

UPDATE - I relent, do whatever you think is best OP because this forum has turned into a big opinion peice with no acctual factual relevence LOL do what feels RIGHT mate! :)

Ha exactly.  I had fun playing it even at 720. . if you enjoy something more than something else. . who cares which is technically superior :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

Originally posted by Aethaeryn

Ha exactly.  I had fun playing it even at 720. . if you enjoy something more than something else. . who cares which is technically superior :)

question.....what does your sig mean?? :)

Odd you make that comment... 

I posted factual information and you posted "His TV sounds like a piece of crap so monitor is probably better". 

But yes in the end it is about what you want, if you want to use the monitor use the monitor. If you want to use the TV, then use the TV. 

Another option is to simply hook both up and swap around when you feel like it. Game on one while watching a movie on the other or what ever. 

Find the option that suites you best. 

I posted factual information and you posted "His TV sounds like a piece of crap so monitor is probably better". 

But yes in the end it is about what you want, if you want to use the monitor use the monitor. If you want to use the TV, then use the TV. 

Another option is to simply hook both up and swap around when you feel like it. Game on one while watching a movie on the other or what ever. 

I also presented factual information but people didnt seem to care, as is why I made the comment...you wanna say response times are negligable? than so is every other specification, you cant have it both ways...

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162

Listen to Ritalyn.

The TV will generally have larger spaces between the pixels relative to the screen size, and a higher response time. 

If you can sit 3 or so feet from the monitor comfortably do it. The 720p TV will never beat the picture on a decent monitor.

I also presented factual information but people didnt seem to care, as is why I made the comment...you wanna say response times are negligable? than so is every other specification, you cant have it both ways...

You are incorrect, but that is ok. All anyone can do is form opinions and such based on the information they have at hand. It is unreasonable for me to expect you to change said opinion based off of information presented by me because there is no reason for you to view me as an authority. With that said I propose we agree to disagree and move on :) 

• cichy1012cichy1012 Member UncommonPosts: 345

Wow didnt want this to turn into a fight fest, but alot of good info here and thanks.

What triggerd all this was Baldurs gate high resolution mod on the 23 inch lcd monitor. LOL.. so i decided to try it on the tv.. then i got to wondering.

You are incorrect, but that is ok. All anyone can do is form opinions and such based on the information they have at hand. It is unreasonable for me to expect you to change said opinion based off of information presented by me because there is no reason for you to view me as an authority. With that said I propose we agree to disagree and move on :) 

well said because you are most definately not an authority, move along.

Wow didnt want this to turn into a fight fest, but alot of good info here and thanks.

What triggerd all this was Baldurs gate high resolution mod on the 23 inch lcd monitor. LOL.. so i decided to try it on the tv.. then i got to wondering.

This was all to play baldurs gate???? wow than it really REALLY doesnt matter lol

• treysmoothtreysmooth Member UncommonPosts: 648

Whats wierd is the tv can be set to all the HD resolution 1080p or 720 etc... or just basic 1366x768 even though specs on tv say 1366x768 max....

Do i set it to basic or HD resolution. And if I use the tv will i see a major difference in gaming from the monitor?

errr not quite, the p and the i stand for progressive scan and interlaced which are two VERY different image rendering methods, progressive being the clear winner over interlaced, its often better to display in 720p rather than 1080i as the interlacing creates digital artifacts on LCD displays.

I'm aware but if you buy a 32 inch 720p and hook up a hdmi it defaults to 1080i.  In 1080 I have no artifacts and everything looks great.  If he hooks the hdmi up on that tv I gurantee it will show up 1080i and will look great thats my experince across 3 different displays from 3 brands all 720p.  To say o it will have artifacts is factually incorrect I have not seen a single artifact among any of them.

5ms refresh rate is quite a difference when quickly scrolling through forums and websites. I sure as hell noticed a huge difference when I switched from my Sony FW900 CRT to LCD.

I'm aware but if you buy a 32 inch 720p and hook up a hdmi it defaults to 1080i.  In 1080 I have no artifacts and everything looks great.  If he hooks the hdmi up on that tv I gurantee it will show up 1080i and will look great thats my experince across 3 different displays from 3 brands all 720p.  To say o it will have artifacts is factually incorrect I have not seen a single artifact among any of them.

There is no possible way the LCD crystals in a 720p TV can self replicate to 1080p resolution.

Pictures or it didn't happen.

well in my personal expierience as an installer for a television service provider I have seen artifacts and or picelization when the tv is set to 1080i.....this would be why my company advises us to always set the TV's to 720p, it provides a better viewing expierience, do yourself a favour and google interlaced versus progressive scan if you dont believe me...

• treysmoothtreysmooth Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Originally posted by grndzro

There is no possible way the LCD crystals in a 720p TV can self replicate to 1080p resolution.

I didn't say 1080p I said yet again 1080i.  If you go to your video card info on the connection it will register as 1080i.  I never said its as good as 1080p I even stated my monitor sits 3 feet from me as well.

Originally posted by GrayGhost79 Originally posted by ianicus Originally posted by GrayGhost79 Whoa this got crazy fast...  as others have pointed out 720p and 1080i are not in any way shape or form the same thing lol...  Response time variances between TV's and Monitors have become negligible. There once was a noticable difference, but with any TV's in the past few years with the exception of some really cheap odd off brand models this is no longer the case.    TV's can be just as sharp and crisp as a monitor if tweaked correctly.    If your TV's native resolution is 720p then you want to set it to that, if you don't believe me then set it to 1366x768 and launch steam.    If the icons are to big at 720p go to control panel, display settings, and then go to "Make text and items larger or smaller" and simply select smaller. If the issue is in game then reduce UI size, pretty much every game has the option.    The main issue with using non native resolutions is that text is promblematic on TV screens. This is a general rule but it doesn't always hold true though, if text and everything is fine inside and out side of games with 1366x768 then by all means use it because there are exceptions to every rule. Every TV is different, it really depends on the brand and the specific model. If your TV lets you get away with 1080p then again use it because again not all TV's are created equal.    I have a 55inch TV I use when I feel like kicking back and using my Razer Onza and its got a much better picture than my monitor and no I'm not using a cheap generic monitor lol. I simply have a very nice TV and know what I'm doing when setting these things up :)    And again... response time differences now days are negligible. 
    the point HERE is his tv....sounds like a peice of shit.....so yeah monitor is probably his best bet...   UPDATE - I relent, do whatever you think is best OP because this forum has turned into a big opinion peice with no acctual factual relevence LOL do what feels RIGHT mate! :)
    Odd you make that comment...    I posted factual information and you posted "His TV sounds like a piece of crap so monitor is probably better".  But yes in the end it is about what you want, if you want to use the monitor use the monitor. If you want to use the TV, then use the TV.  Another option is to simply hook both up and swap around when you feel like it. Game on one while watching a movie on the other or what ever.  Find the option that suites you best. 

For a monitor - I agree with you to some extent; it's not that the specifications are negligible: that implies that they don't matter as characteristics. The characteristics matter very much. It's just that, as printed specifications, they are meaningless because they are arbitrary.

Take something as simple as the color Black. That can be very different on two different monitors, due to differences in LCD manufacturing, backlighting, pre-set contrast and brightness levels, etc.

It's not that black is negligible. It's very relevant. It's just that you can't get any feel for which monitor is more "blackier" by looking at anything on the box.

Sure, they print specifications; contrast levels (meaningless), pixel refresh rate (no enforced standard), even the size (often measured at different spots or rounded: some 24" monitors are actually 23.7" diagonal)

The only things you can really take away are the supported resolutions, which is pretty hard to fake.

And who's to say which black may look better - some people may prefer a brigher monitor, others darker - each eye is different, and monitors are used in different locations for different purposes. Someone in a bright office reading Microsoft Word all day with black text on white background may have a very different opinion than someone trying to play Quake in a bedroom with the lights off.

Originally posted by grndzro

I didn't say 1080p I said yet again 1080i.  If you go to your video card info on the connection it will register as 1080i.  I never said its as good as 1080p I even stated my monitor sits 3 feet from me as well.

The artifacts are per pixel based. When you take a 1920x1080 picture and downscale it to 1280x720 you loose pixels in the conversion. To call it artifacting is probably a misnomer. You get a better picture from an actual 720p stream because it was filmed in 720p