Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LCD monitor vs LCD TV

cichy1012cichy1012 Member UncommonPosts: 345

I have a 23 inch HP2310m monitor that runs a native resolution 1920x1080

I also have mounted on the wal 3 feet from me 32 inch panasonic LCD 720p tv.

I cant figure out what is better.

Whats wierd is the tv can be set to all the HD resolution 1080p or 720 etc... or just basic 1366x768 even though specs on tv say 1366x768 max....

Do i set it to basic or HD resolution. And if I use the tv will i see a major difference in gaming from the monitor?

Comments

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

I will let a tech guy give you detail. . my guess is you will only see 720 resolution.  I have the same set up and enjoy playing games on the TV on occasion.  The thing is. . That sitting closer to the monitor the 1080 is better.  

I have always wondered about monitors and TVs getting closer in size and how that would work out.  I now have a 1080 TV but it is upstairs.  Will try it once I get my new video card.  I played a few games. . FPS etc. and didn't have any issues. . but I am not picky :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• cichy1012cichy1012 Member UncommonPosts: 345
    funny thing is i have to tv set at 1080p right now and it accepts it and looks good to. Is it because the radeom HD 7950 video card?
  • stringboistringboi Member UncommonPosts: 394

I'd stay with a monitor.....even if both only went to 1080p (monitors can go much higher) it would most likely look better on your monitor, unless its a crappy monitor.  1080 is 1080.....720 is 720....its not going to look any better on a bigger screen, only blown up bigger to fit the screen size.  

Now if your going to be sitting across the room, go and try the TV...it would look as good as the monitor, but if its in a close range...its probably going to look more grainy/pixelated compare to the monitor.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

If the tv is a 720p television, then it would not have a 1080p resolution option. I don't know where the 1080p option is coming from, but it's not the television.

The one that's better is the one you like looking at more. But why 'or'? Why not 'and'?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Nearly every 1080p monitor out there uses a television flat panel. Functionally, it's the same. The only real difference are going to be in the inputs: a monitor will focus on VGA/DVI/HDMI, and maybe DisplayPort; where as a TV is going to probably have a tuner, and focus on HDMI/RCA/Composite, and maybe have DVI or VGA.

A TV will also more than likely have built-in speakers, as well as a lot of TV-specific menu options (Game mode/Movie mode/Theatre mode, re-label inputs, Sports mode, etc). Monitors will have a lot of the same stuff, just renamed to be more computer specific (quick access to brightness/contrast, modes may be labeled by K-value rather than some generic name, etc).

Now = if your trying to compare 720p to 1080p, that's a bit different conversation than "Which is better, a monitor or a TV". You can set your monitor to 720p if you wanted to and see how it looks.

In my catalyst control panel it allows me to select basic all the way up to 1920x1080 or or HD resolutions all the way up to 1080p

i wish i could post a pic but i dont know how

• AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256

He said that he is using the TV with his computer and he has set the computer's settings to 1080. Since the TV is a 720p TV, you won't see anything more, even though the computer is set to 1080. The TV is 720p meaning it has 1280x720 pixels on screen, no more. So it is impossible for it to display anything more than 1280x720.

Monitors are almost always better than a TV. Monitors give you a higher resolution on a smaller screen, and usually have far less response time than a TV. A 23" 1080p monitor will look FAR sharper than a 1080p 30" TV. And the bigger the TV you get, the less sharp 1080p looks. So there should be a pretty big difference between your 23" 1080p monitor and your 32" TV with 720p.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by cichy1012
    In my catalyst control panel it allows me to select basic all the way up to 1920x1080 or or HD resolutions all the way up to 1080pi wish i could post a pic but i dont know how

Those are the resolutions your video card is capable of outputting. That doesn't mean your television will display them. Your television can accept 1080p input from your computer, but it'll only display 720p, which is a lower resolution than your computer monitor.

Your monitor has a higher resolution, and which means it probably has a sharper picture. However, you also probably have two outputs on your video card, so that you can display information on both screens. It takes a little more setup, but having two screens could be handy. You could play movies on one screen, and possibly games if you need the bigger screen, and everything else on the monitor.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

Maybe it can take a 1080p input and downscale it to 720p?  Take any 1080p image, break it into a bunch of 3x3 blocks of pixels, convert each to a 2x2 block by averaging, interpolating, and what not, and you have a somewhat fuzzier 720p image that looks about the same.  And then the TV can show the 720p image.

I don't know if that's what it's doing.  It's surely possible for a video card to make that adjustment and then transmit the 720p image; I don't know if TVs would have that capability, but they could build TVs to do that if they wanted to.

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758

The OP's TV is only going to display 720p no matter what the graphics card is set to.

However, on the subject of whether TV's are any good for playing games, I do myself use a 40 inch 1080p TV as the monitor for my gaming PC and it sits on my desk alongside a 27 inch widescreen monitor attached to my second PC. Both screens have a native resolution of 1920 x 1080 and I can't tell any difference in the quality of the display except the 40 inch screen is obviously much easier to see.

The TV is set to PC mode so goes to sleep when the PC does, it's just a big monitor. I've been using this setup for about eighteen months and would never go back to a smaller screen for games playing now.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Whats wierd is the tv can be set to all the HD resolution 1080p or 720 etc... or just basic 1366x768 even though specs on tv say 1366x768 max....

Do i set it to basic or HD resolution. And if I use the tv will i see a major difference in gaming from the monitor?

You want to set the resolution for the TV to 720p. For best picture and performance you want to use the displays native resolution. Problems that may not be obvious now will pop up later and say hello. 

In any case it really doesn't matter which you use though keep in mind your TV is only 720p and the monitor is 1080p. By the way 1920x1080 is 1080p, 1280x720 is 720p

Few things to keep in mind with using the TV. 

For best picture quality and to make it on par with your monitor (Though TVs can be a bit more vibrant depending on which you have)

1) Make sure you are using the TV's primary PC HDMI input (This varies from TV to TV but generally it is HDMI 1)

2) Rename that HDMI port to PC or PC DVI (As odd as it sounds renaming it has a pretty significant impact on picture quality and text. It triggers settings making it more optimal for PC usage)

3) Go into the catalyst settings and disable or take the slider to 0% for overscan/scaling

4) Now depending on the GPU you have, in the display settings for your GPU even if you have no scaling selected it lets you choose which  you would prefer to  do the scaling, the Display or the GPU. You want to select Display and not the GPU. 

Doing this will make your TV as good or even better than your monitor depending on TV model. 

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

You want to set the resolution for the TV to 720p. For best picture and performance you want to use the displays native resolution. Problems that may not be obvious now will pop up later and say hello. 

In any case it really doesn't matter which you use though keep in mind your TV is only 720p and the monitor is 1080p. By the way 1920x1080 is 1080p, 1280x720 is 720p

For best picture quality and to make it on par with your monitor (Though TVs can be a bit more vibrant depending on which you have)

1) Make sure you are using the TV's primary PC HDMI input (This varies from TV to TV but generally it is HDMI 1)

2) Rename that HDMI port to PC or PC DVI (As odd as it sounds renaming it has a pretty significant impact on picture quality and text. It triggers settings making it more optimal for PC usage)

3) Go into the catalyst settings and disable or take the slider to 0% for overscan/scaling

4) Now depending on the GPU you have, in the display settings for your GPU even if you have no scaling selected it lets you choose which  you would prefer to  do the scaling, the Display or the GPU. You want to select Display and not the GPU. 

Doing this will make your TV as good or even better than your monitor depending on TV model. 

when i set it to 720 p it goes to 1280 x 720.. but the tv specs say max res is 1366 x 768.. is it ok to set it to that? or if i do, will that lose the hd?

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

It comes down to deciding what you are comfortable with viewing and using for extended periods.  

My guess is the important specifications like pixel response time are so negligible of a difference between the two that it doesn't matter which one you pick as far as a technically superior product is concerned.  Playing at a lower resolution on the television won't matter as much if you're farther away from it than you would sit from a computer monitor.  In the long run, your computer's performance will seem better when playing games on the television because it will have fewer pixels to render.

As others have posted, the best combination of visual quality and performance will come from playing at the native resolution of the device.  It is likely that the television downscales the higher resolution signal (1080) to one it has the pixels to display, in an effort to reduce customer service calls from customers who don't know the difference between 720HD and 1080HD.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

when i set it to 720 p it goes to 1280 x 720.. but the tv specs say max res is 1366 x 768.. is it ok to set it to that? or if i do, will that lose the hd?

Yes, set it to 720p. With TV's you want to focus on things like 720p, 1080i, 1080p, etc. it just works out better that way. With monitors you can work with other resolutions. 

Now there are some minor exceptions, if for some reason you have one of the odd off brand TV's and 720p doesn't act right then you will want to use 1366x768 but those are few and far between now days so 720p would (or should) be your best bet. 

And no you won't lose HD, resolution pretty much just means the dimensions of the rectangle of pixels on your monitor or TV screen. Its a little be more complicated than that but thats the essence of it. 

If your graphics card can do exactly 1366x768 then yes you could use that resolution. I don't know why you think you will "lose the hd" when 1366x768 is higher definition than 1280x720. "HD" as a term just means high definition. The higher the resolution you pick, the higher the definition of the picture will be. But your TV has a max resolution of 1280x720, so you can't get any sharper than that. 

All of the data for a 720p picture is already contained in a 1080p signal, so it's very easy for your television to downscale the picture to 720p. It's not as complicated as others are making it seem. All HDTVs have the ability to downscale using the built in SOC and ROM. It requires very few calculations since nothing is converted, but rather data is ignored.  

Yes, set it to 720p. With TV's you want to focus on things like 720p, 1080i, 1080p, etc. it just works out better that way. With monitors you can work with other resolutions. 

Now there are some minor exceptions, if for some reason you have one of the odd off brand TV's and 720p doesn't act right then you will want to use 1366x768 but those are few and far between now days so 720p would (or should) be your best bet. 

And no you won't lose HD, resolution pretty much just means the dimensions of the rectangle of pixels on your monitor or TV screen. Its a little be more complicated than that but thats the essence of it. 

wow wth 720 the icons and everything else is huge....i cant tell much difference between 1366x768 and 1280 x 720 besides the size

wow wth 720 the icons and everything else is huge....i cant tell much difference between 1366x768 and 1280 x 720 besides the size

If you really don't like the bigger icons, you won't be hurting anything by setting the computer to 1080. The TV will still obviously be displaying a 720p picture, but the scaling and size of the desktop will be different because of your computer's setting. Truthfully though, you should be using that 23" monitor to get the sharpest picture. 

• ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665

There is alot of bad information in here, lets set the record straight. Only major difference between an LCD tv and an LCD computer monitor is response times, TV's generaly have poor response times when compared to decent PC monitors, for instance a good lcd monitor will have a 2ms or less response time (mine is 1ms but an LED) while a TV would have a much higher response time, some older LCD tv's can even get into the double digits for response times (not good). 

Not every game is going to be impacted by this, mostly FPS or anything with fast action, you will notice a "ghosting" effect on the screen, or a blur, this is because the TV response time is too slow to keep the image clear.

That is the only differenc between them, period, lock thread,

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
    Originally posted by ianicus

There is alot of bad information in here, lets set the record straight. Only major difference between an LCD tv and an LCD computer monitor is response times, TV's generaly have poor response times when compared to decent PC monitors, for instance a good lcd monitor will have a 2ms or less response time while a TV would have a much higher response time, some older LCD tv's can even get into the double digits for response times. 

Not every game is going to be impacted by this, mostly FPS or anything with fast action, you will notice a "ghosting" effect on the screen, or a blur, this is because the TV response time is too slow to keep the image clear.

Are you comparing his TV and his monitor? Because the response time is not the only difference between those two specific models. One is 720p and the other 1080p, that's a huge difference. One has a total of 1280x720 physical pixels on screen, and the other 1920x1080 pixels. The technology that is LCD is the same, but the two models he has are very different. Not only do they have different resolutions, but the smaller screen has the higher resolution, meaning it will be much sharper.

Originally posted by AvsRock21

There is alot of bad information in here, lets set the record straight. Only major difference between an LCD tv and an LCD computer monitor is response times, TV's generaly have poor response times when compared to decent PC monitors, for instance a good lcd monitor will have a 2ms or less response time while a TV would have a much higher response time, some older LCD tv's can even get into the double digits for response times. 

Are you comparing his TV and his monitor? Because the response time is not the only difference between those two specific models. One is 720p and the other 1080p, that's a huge difference. One has a total of 1280x720 physical pixels on screen, and the other 1920x1080 pixels. The technology that is LCD is the same, but the two models he has are very different. Not only do they have different resolutions, but the smaller screen has the higher resolution, meaning it will be much sharper.

I was speaking generaly, a 1080p native monitor versus a 1080p lcd TV, the monitor is probably still going to win out on response time unless you bought a high end tv, I wasnt refering to his EXACT tv.

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby

I was speaking generaly, a 1080p native monitor versus a 1080p lcd TV, the monitor is probably still going to win out on response time unless you bought a high end tv, I wasnt refering to his EXACT tv.

Ok, then yes you are correct. Usually though, the 1080p monitor will be of a smaller size than the 1080p TV, which means the monitor would be sharper. But if you compare a 1080p monitor with a 1080p TV and they are the same size, then they are basically the same thing, except for the slight response time difference. 

There is alot of bad information in here, lets set the record straight. Only major difference between an LCD tv and an LCD computer monitor is response times, TV's generaly have poor response times when compared to decent PC monitors, for instance a good lcd monitor will have a 2ms or less response time (mine is 1ms but an LED) while a TV would have a much higher response time, some older LCD tv's can even get into the double digits for response times (not good). Not every game is going to be impacted by this, mostly FPS or anything with fast action, you will notice a "ghosting" effect on the screen, or a blur, this is because the TV response time is too slow to keep the image clear.That is the only differenc between them, period, lock thread,

Most people don't get "decent PC monitors". They get cheaper re-branded TV panels sold as PC monitors.

Also, "response time" is a made up sales and marketing number. I wouldn't base anything from that number as reported by the manufacturer, particularly LCD monitor quality.

• treysmoothtreysmooth Member UncommonPosts: 648

720p is in fact 1080i so that is 1920x1080

I use a 32 inch tv as my monitorand have it sitting around 3 feet from me looks great in games.

Ok, then yes you are correct. Usually though, the 1080p monitor will be of a smaller size than the 1080p TV, which means the monitor would be sharper. But if you compare a 1080p monitor with a 1080p TV and they are the same size, then they are basically the same thing, except for the slight response time difference. 

In a way you are right, the larger the display the more blown up the image, however if you alter your viewing distance, that distortion will be corrected, people were never intended to sit 3 feet in front of a 40 inch lcd tv lol

And to the OP:

You can set your resolution to anything that it lets you - the worst that happens is the screen will just go blank (possibly say "No signal"), and the "Click OK to keep this resolution" box will time out and bring you back to where you were before.

You won't break anything. Use whatever looks the best to you.

I have a 720p TV. It will let me select 1080i, even though it can't actually display 1080. The picture looks the same, the PC just has to work four times harder (it's calculating 4 times as many pixels only to have them ignored by the TV).

Technically, 720p is a better signal than 1080i: it has more bandwidth. It's fewer pixels per viewing area, but they are getting refreshed more often. Most PC's won't even offer to display in 1080i/720i - it's mainly cable/satellite companies that will broadcast at those resolutions on order to save on their bandwidth (so they can offer more channels).