Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hardmode Servers

c0existc0exist Member UncommonPosts: 196
Not sure if anyone has posted this or if this is available in other mmo's but I think a good idea would be to have different types of servers.  Instead of just the usual PVE and PVP servers how about a "hard mode" server.  And by hard mode i mean less exp per mob kill, mobs are more difficult so forced partying is in play, and of course since the world is harder there will be better drops and exclusive drops to the harder servers.  I find myself being handed everything in these newer mmo's (gear, levels, items).  I like to work for my things thus giving me a sense of accomplishment.  I dont want to be max level in a month or two.  I remember playing ffxi at launch, it took me a little over year a to get close to max level,  and that was me playing about 8 hours a day.  Of course i cant play that much anymore but i in that game You camped and worked hard for your exclusive gear.  Camping a mob for a few weeks or even months for one drop was not unusual.  Anyways, i enjoy the interaction of mmo's and that game forced you to party with people to not only level but to get the main story quests done.  Seems like newer games you can damn near solo to max.  Just my thought and maybe i am a rare mmo gamer but I play for the long haul and not for the instant gratification that games give nowadays.  When you saw a max level player in ffxi you knew he was a badass that he/she dedicated themselves to get there, it was an accomplishment in itself.  Now if you have a week off of work you can get to max level.  Give me some difficulty.  To have these hardmode servers wouldnt take much just less exp per kill and more hit points per mob and that way casual gamers can log in 30 mins a day and get to max level while us "real" gamers can have an experience instead of a means to an end.

Comments

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

TL;DR

Need a game to make me play with others, preferablly an insane grind fest.

lol "real" gamers

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• c0existc0exist Member UncommonPosts: 196
    it would be for those that want to, there will be normal servers too for those that dont.  
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Not a new concept.

You can play HC mode in Diablo 3. You can't get more hardcore than perma death.

You can also turn up MP to 10. Do both (MP10 on HC) will guarantee you won't have a max level character any time soon.

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    You will rarely to never get a studio to release and maintain seperate versions of their game for different servers.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

Originally posted by jimdandy26
    You will rarely to never get a studio to release and maintain seperate versions of their game for different servers.

uh? How many games have pvp servers. That is a separate version of the game.

• c0existc0exist Member UncommonPosts: 196
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Not a new concept.

You can play HC mode in Diablo 3. You can't get more hardcore than perma death.

You can also turn up MP to 10. Do both (MP10 on HC) will guarantee you won't have a max level character any time soon.

Thats good to know, I guess im just weird when it comes to games.  I dont care if it takes me years to get to max level as long as i enjoy the journey.  Grinding doesnt bother me and i like working with other players, because imo if you arent forced to party to level up then theres no point in playing an mmorpg.  might as well stick to single player games.

• DisdenaDisdena Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    Originally posted by c0exist
    Not sure if anyone has posted this or if this is available in other mmo's but I think a good idea would be to have different types of servers.  Instead of just the usual PVE and PVP servers how about a "hard mode" server.  And by hard mode i mean less exp per mob kill, mobs are more difficult so forced partying is in play, and of course since the world is harder there will be better drops and exclusive drops to the harder servers. 

Why is this necessary?

Creating two separate servers means that those two groups of people will never meet. So why would you need to make sure that people on the easymode servers don't have access to certain drops? They cannot possibly influence your enjoyment of the game; they're on a completely different server.

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

I got the same idea about WoW just after Cata, as game suddenly became hyper hard after you finished nice and easy rush till lvl 80 and new zones.

I think for WoW it can be great deal, as many "old" or just hardcore players keep complain of how easy game is.

If game is currently hard enough, HM server will be empty, so it bad idea.

The HM servers system can work only with sub or semi-sub (Premium, VIP and such accounts), as most of might selling Item Shop oriented MMO wants you to lvl up very fast and start consume.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• EnerzealEnerzeal Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by Lovely_Laly

I got the same idea about WoW just after Cata, as game suddenly became hyper hard after you finished nice and easy rush till lvl 80 and new zones.

I think for WoW it can be great deal, as many "old" or just hardcore players keep complain of how easy game is.

If game is currently hard enough, HM server will be empty, so it bad idea.

The HM servers system can work only with sub or semi-sub (Premium, VIP and such accounts), as most of might selling Item Shop oriented MMO wants you to lvl up very fast and start consume.

I actually had some faith restored in blizzard when they finally turned up the heat during the start of cataclysm, then they went back on all of it and the game became and easy snore fest again.

I genuinely hope nobody here considers any part of world of warcraft difficult these days, it is comically easy to play now.

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527

Only in the strictest sense of the word. There is a pretty large difference between changing mechanics (damage etc) and changing a pvp flag server side.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,820
    This is an idea that has floated around for years. I can see it having some appeal, but gaming companies do not like to split gamers onto different servers. So its a hard sell to them.
  • EnerzealEnerzeal Member Posts: 326
    It is considered a risk to develop such a server. But if world of warcraft came out with one tomorrow i would sign up so fast. And before anyone tells me I'd never be able to take it, and that what I think i want isn't what I want. I am currently playing Diablo 3 on hardcore for the challenge, I put up my inventory and started looking at a new item yesterday and didn't register that I was still in AoE... There went that character but do I mind? Nope because the game is so much more thrilling when round every corner all the hard work goes poof, what did I do? I made a monk and started right back at it. Because it's fun.

Only in the strictest sense of the word. There is a pretty large difference between changing mechanics (damage etc) and changing a pvp flag server side.

You don't need to change mechanics to make the game more challenging. Private servers do it all the time. Just up the hp of mobs, and lower the xp gain.

Heck, D3 (not a MMO) does it for every game. You can choose the level of difficulty. How hard it is to multiple health of every mob by 10, or divide xp gain per mob by 10?

Originally posted by Scot
    This is an idea that has floated around for years. I can see it having some appeal, but gaming companies do not like to split gamers onto different servers. So its a hard sell to them.

uh? WOW has what .. 200+ servers? Almost every sizable game has multiple servers.

Originally posted by Enerzeal

I actually had some faith restored in blizzard when they finally turned up the heat during the start of cataclysm, then they went back on all of it and the game became and easy snore fest again.

I genuinely hope nobody here considers any part of world of warcraft difficult these days, it is comically easy to play now.

WOW hard mode raid is still difficult .. but you are right for most of the content.

That is a reason why i like D3 much more than WOW. D3 can be very challenging if you turn up the MP level (unless you are one of the 0.001% with godly gear). I died almost everyday even on farming runs that i have done many times (if i am careless, if elites have the wrong combo of affix ...)

I think WOW's issue is not that it is too easy, is that it has only ONE difficulty mostly (except for raids .. you have LFR, normal & hard .. which works fine).

Not everyone likes the same level of difficulties. I was there when CATA started. The heroic dungeons were made more difficult but there was so much QQing that Blizz has to nerf it. The *only* solution, i think, is to have diffcult levels of difficulty like in D3.

Note that even in D3, not everyone are trying to beat tougher mobs. Personally i like that so i usually farm/play at the highest MP level that i can. However, there are those who are more interested in efficiencies than killing tough mobs. That is, they will optimize the run time at low MP. The "challenge" is not to kill tough mobs or stay alive, but to do it fast. (If you don't believe me, go to youtubs and you can see all the "quick run" videos, and they time the runs too).

Personally i don't think that is a less valid way to play. It is jsut a different preference. But the point is that you should not assume your level of difficulty is right for everyone. And that the only way to cater to everyone is to have a way to choose the level of challenge.

• GreyfaceGreyface Member Posts: 390

UO tried something like this with their Siege Perilous shard.  It wasn't, shall we say, the most well-populated server.

I never say never, but it's not super likely that someone else will attempt this.  PvP servers are one thing -- it's not a big deal to turn on everyone's PvP flag.  What you're asking for would require a Dev team to maintain two separate sets of code and issue two different patches every time there's an update.  Given that most games can't even spare the staff to police their Role Playing servers, I can't see them doubling their staff to accomodate something like this.

Instead of waiting for the mountain to come to you, I'd recommend that you go to the mountain.  In other words, if you're too l33t for your current game, start shopping around for a different game.

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

Most opponents are too easy in openworld MMO combat.

Many bosses too invariable (i.e. once you crack em you only fail if you bring new guys who make a binary mistake...).

Everything should be a challenge - from bringing down and skinning a skittish deer to battling an army of undead.

... but... generally they take seconds and you don't break a sweat.

... pity...

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

uh? WOW has what .. 200+ servers? Almost every sizable game has multiple servers.

I think he meant different servers with different rulesets/versions. And he is right: it takes extra effort to maintain and make sure every version and ruleset works the way it was intended. Especially when implementing changes.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

Originally posted by Quirhid

I think he meant different servers with different rulesets/versions. And he is right: it takes extra effort to maintain and make sure every version and ruleset works the way it was intended. Especially when implementing changes.

That is probably true. But it is easy to adjust difficulty in instances. Just have a normal and a hard mode like in WOW raid.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

That is probably true. But it is easy to adjust difficulty in instances. Just have a normal and a hard mode like in WOW raid.

AoC does that as well

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit

AoC does that as well

And DDO too, i believe.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

I've asked for this for years. And have mentioned it more than a few times on EQ forums in hopes SOE doesn't make the same mistake of offering one game to rule them all; when it would be easy to make servers of varying difficulty. The WoW types can have their solo mode, and the old EQ players can have their group love fest.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,820

Yes, running differant types of the same game is what gaming companies are not happy to do. Even having PvE and PvP servers must cause them extra work. And whats being suggeted for a hardmode server (all sorts of ideas) tends to be far more involved than just allowing players to attack each other anywhere.

• emikochanemikochan Member UncommonPosts: 290
    You don't need to change mechanics to make the game more challenging. Private servers do it all the time. Just up the hp of mobs, and lower the xp gain.

Heck, D3 (not a MMO) does it for every game. You can choose the level of difficulty. How hard it is to multiple health of every mob by 10, or divide xp gain per mob by 10?

That's not more challenge, it's more tedium. Something taking 10 times as long doesn't mean it's 10 times as hard.

Adding new abilities on hard modes is the way to go. Since everyone seems to be using D3 as an example, the extra affixes on harder mobs make them very different to fight, even if they didn't have more hp/damage.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

AoC does that as well

And DDO too, i believe.

I really like DDO's system. I do each dungeon from lowest to hardest which is a rather rewarding process for me since

- doing the lower difficulties unlocks higher ones

- there are rewards for completing the different levels of dungeons

- I'm more interested in getting a group together for the harder dungeons because I now know the dungeon and know I can be an asset to the team rather than a bumbling follower.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre