Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How close is Roblox to Minecraft?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
just saw something about this game on FB. Its noted as a MMOG. But how close to this game is it to Minecraft?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Roblox looks more like a 'create your own game' system, rather than a game in itself. You wouldn't play 'Roblox', you would play an adventure game or a survival horror game using a Roblox server.

I haven't signed up though, so I can't say for sure exactly how it works. You can have personal servers though, so it does have that in common with Minecraft.

* The more I look at their website, the less like Minecraft I think Roblox is. You can build stuff, but Roblox is a F2P system, where you can buy things in their online store and there are builder perks you can buy too...I guess maybe you build faster or something? Not sure. The biggest difference would be the ability to mod things. In Minecraft I'm testing the 'Feed the Beast' servers and added the 'Mo Creatures' mod. It turns out there is a Slime Horse thing that can attack you, as well as Winged Horses, and Golems that suck up blocks from around them to fight you with. Stupid golem ate a wall out of my house. I don't think that kind of experience is possible with Roblox. But I haven't signed up with them to check it out, so I can't be sure.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Completely different. Roblox has a lot of player created yet rather simple mini-games. My kids love it to death and play it all the time. Minecraft is... well, Minecraft. Hey, Mo' Creatures mod is working with the new patch, so I'm happy there. image

Oderint, dum metuant.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Volkon
    Completely different. Roblox has a lot of player created yet rather simple mini-games. My kids love it to death and play it all the time. Minecraft is... well, Minecraft. Hey, Mo' Creatures mod is working with the new patch, so I'm happy there.  

Stupid golems.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Volkon
    Completely different. Roblox has a lot of player created yet rather simple mini-games. My kids love it to death and play it all the time. Minecraft is... well, Minecraft. Hey, Mo' Creatures mod is working with the new patch, so I'm happy there. 

Stupid golems.

I think they're more tolerable than those damned ogres however. They just start blowing things up if a scorpion looks at them cross-eyed.

Oderint, dum metuant.